Invisible String

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AzureAsh
AzureAsh
51 Followers

"Okay Teddy..." she replied. Her (sing-songy?) voice did things to my body.

"Actually, Andrew called me up... uh... for organizing the meeting material." I said thinking how badly I was over-thinking everything. Why would her voice be sing-songy for me?

"So, I see you had to shave?" Andrew cut in before Danielle could reply.

"I was shaving...."

"Yes, you were..." Bill added laughing.

Thank goodness, Danielle did not catch the drift of that conversation....

"Come on let's finish this up quickly and I'll take you guys out to that Italian place ten blocks down for lunch." Andrew said.

For the next forty-five minutes, there was a lot of printing involved. We assembled all the materials in files.

Then we were at that Italian place and placed our orders.

Bill started the conversation. "You remind me of my college days, Ted. Living that boy life... All that sweet mess...."

"I don't live like a messy boy... more like a gentleman boy...." I cringed as soon as I said that. But Danielle chuckled at that... I chuckled at Danielle chuckling at that. I don't know why I replied like a six-year old -- well I am eccentric right?

"But I bet it's still messy, at least a little... I mean if we just barge in your place right now, we could literally see how messy it'd be" Andrew continued while laughing.

Our lunch arrived and it was lovely. A lot of cheese was consumed....

I wasn't sure, if it was the cheese in me talking, but I was bold enough to invite them all to my place to prove that it wasn't messy, even a little. And I guess they were bold enough to accept. I was on cloud-nine though, as Danielle would be coming to my home. Bill and Danielle drove with Andrew and I drove surrounded by my daydreams.

"This place hasn't changed one bit." Andrew said as we approached my door. Andrew had been to my place a couple months ago.

As we entered, I saw a curiosity on Danielle's face and that smile of nostalgia on Bill's, when Andrew continued, "Not changed one bit...."

"Mi casa, su casa." I said when everyone was in.

I showed my guests around my one-bedroom apartment with the bedroom being the last.

My eyes were naturally drawn towards Danielle. She was exploring the literature I had on accounting, auditing, taxation and other stuff connected with my profession, stacked on a shelf in my bedroom.

Danielle said, "This is interesting stuff..." I blushed and from the corner of my eye noticed Bill and Andrew noticing me blush while Danielle was still looking at my books.

Her reactions when exploring my library -- or whatever you might want to call the collection of my books in a shelf -- made my day.

As our home exploring shenanigans were nearing culmination, I asked to no one in particular, "So is my place messy?"

To which Bill replied, "You cleaned up pretty good!" Andrew, Danielle and I think also me: we all laughed whole heartedly at that.

When the guests were leaving, Andrew turned toward me and said, "I need to be back home as early as I can. Can you please escort our visitors from headquarters back to their hotel?"

"Sure, Sir I'll do that."

Andrew left after telling us his goodbyes. I started the car and held the back door open for Bill. As I was going on the other side to do the same for Danielle, she opened the front door and sat beside the driver's seat. I couldn't miss Bill's smile. I was blushing throughout our drive to the hotel while Danielle had a faint relaxed smile. I was getting pretty sure that Danielle was epitome of that hope in the streets of my heart.

I drove back home after telling my goodbyes to Bill and Danielle. Drive back home and even post reaching home, all I could think was Danielle's appreciative smile when she looked at my books, her relaxed smile on the way to the hotel and just her in general.

Sleep was peaceful and also a torture at the same time. In addition to that I was a little nervous about our meeting with Z on Monday. But despite the nervousness I believed that if anyone could pull this off it was Jake, Bill, Andrew and Danielle.

------------

On Monday, after the meeting was concluded, all the meeting attendees from our side had a neutral face on as they entered the office precincts sometime post lunch. It was sometime that evening I could have a tete-a-tete with Andrew.

Danielle unleashed absolute carnage at the meeting. Bill finished the innings better than any finisher that the game of cricket ever produced. Finally, Jake and Andrew had bowled them over. Those were Andrews words not mine. It was a team effort, no doubt, but Andrew in no uncertain terms pointed out the significance of Danielle in the pitch.

With our pitch and our credentials, we seemed to have earned the backing of Z's management. That was clear from our follow-up correspondences with them post that meeting.

Tuesday morning Bill and Danielle left for headquarters.

Our Global CEO, Global Audit head and the Practice Leaders from my country, met with Z and Z got us on board as their statutory auditors -- globally.

Yes, I was living a nice rhythm. But I couldn't deny I was living in a vacuum. Though I didn't hate it, but sometimes, just sometimes, I didn't like it either. But then came Danielle....

Danielle while devacuumizing my life, paradoxically created a simultaneous vacuum in it. While she won us the Z account, I lost my heart to her....

------------

It didn't take long for us to commence our audit at Z. Andrew was the lead partner and also the partner who'd sign off the financials. Team engaged in audit was large comprising of Partners, Directors, Senior Managers, Managers, Senior and Junior Associates and Interns as well. Soon pace picked up and any track of time, other than the audit timelines was lost.

As we were nearing the audit completion, I received the news that, Danielle would be in our city for thirty days and Bill fifteen to oversee the audit completion. It made sense as this was our first engagement. But more importantly, I lost my mind realizing that Danielle would be back, and whenever I was home, I was doodling Danielle's name on every paper in sight in a cutesy way like a teenager freshly in love.

I was fervently hoping for destiny -- who sometimes refuses to put out -- to call upon Cupid to make Danielle fall in love with me when she'd be here. But that would be a risk, since Danielle's so magnificent that Cupid instead of making her fall in love with me, would make himself fall for her.

I let my feelings develop despite not knowing whether Danielle was attached or in a committed relationship or worse married. I shamelessly just couldn't bring myself to feel guilty. In my defense this -- whatever it was -- was way too one-sided and I wouldn't act on my desires. I craved her presence, closeness and companionship and was ready to live out my entire life just with those memories if it would ever come to that.

I decided not to let my mind wander on the sides and focus on the quality of work which my Manager and then Danielle would review. I hoped I could work with Danielle directly during her review. If I could get that time with her, I would learn as much as possible from her, whilst secretly savouring that little time which maybe destiny would earmark for us.

Danielle couldn't arrive sooner. But once she did, things went into overdrive mode. Item-by-item, all the profit and loss and balance sheet accounts were being reviewed. Other elements of the financial statements too followed that order.

Danielle was working insanely hard. And for the first time in my life, an external stimulus was motivating me.

But destiny did finally do something nice for me and the review of my workpapers was scheduled with Danielle on a Monday. My Manager asked me to sit with her and take her through the nitty-gritties of the workpapers. The accounts I covered all formed part of the key audit matters and the workpapers thereof were a bit complex. My Manager appreciated me for the work done. I appreciated his appreciation a lot. A lot. But nothing could compare in front of me getting time with Danielle and having my work vetted by her.

I prepared for the review with Danielle over the weekend preceding that Monday. Hence, I was able to take Danielle through the workpapers, their underlying data, the relevant accounting and also the relevant auditing standards.

Considering the amount of data/analysis/verification involved, I spent eight hours every day with Danielle for the review till Thursday. By Thursday evening around 08:00 PM my work was reviewed and sent above for further reviews. I hoped Danielle liked my work. In those four days with her my knowledge base was enriched to levels which were hitherto undreamt of for me.

I was sad that my time with her had to end. But I was more than happy that I could spend that time with her. Though that sadness lasted only temporarily as I was called by Andrew in his cabin on the fine Friday morning.

"Well you're here Ted."

He viewed my confuzzled look and continued, "Danielle owing to the work she currently has, needs full-time assistance of a Senior Associate. I was planning to assign Tamara to her, but before I could even say a word, she specifically requested for you.

"You have time till Sunday to close your current work to the stage you can transition it as your Managers say. From Monday you'll be assigned to Danielle. And that means Tamara will be helping me out with my work."

I was a bit sad for not assisting Andrew, but my happiness on being assigned to Danielle knew no bounds. I pumped my fists in absolute delight as soon as I was out of Andrew's cabin.

As my body was soaking in that adrenaline rush, I received a call from Andrew.

"Theodore! Don't think I didn't see that! Now get your butt moving and not your hands..." he said with no malice behind his words.

"Sorry Sir." Was all I could reply.

From Friday through Sunday I finished most of my pending work and sent it to the respective Managers. As I tucked myself in on Sunday preparing for Monday, I was acutely aware of each of my breath and was able to make out how they sounded, as sleep embraced me in her arms.

------------

The morning of the following Monday I in high spirits. I was at the office half-an-hour early. I beelined towards my desk with the strap of my laptop bag across my chest. After settling in, I kept an eye on the entrance of my office for any signs of Danielle. She had messaged me to meet her at her desk that morning. She made her grand entrance in the office, just like how she did a while back in my heart.

After she settled in, I reported in.

"'Morning Ma'am."

"You can call me Danielle." When she said that it felt like I made inroads into an impenetrable shell.

She continued, "Fire up your laptop and access the research portal of the expert advisory committee. We've got some research work to do."

I did as she asked. Turns out she wanted incremental research on the positions adopted in all the significant workpapers we shared with her. She needed the positions adopted to be technically impeccable. After we were done with the research, she put me on the drafting job. On Monday we finished around four workpapers. But there was a boat load of workpapers with issues equally complex if not more where similar work had to be undertaken.

We found ourselves following a new routine. We'd log in early in the morning. Work for around five hours till lunch which was a twenty-minute affair. Followed by working for another four hours till snacks which was a ten-minute affair. We never sorta clocked time after that. Sometimes it went deep into the next day morning. Sometimes we'd log out early and work from our home offices while being connected on Microsoft Teams. We almost always were together.

We were quickly able to complete Z's review and forward it for further reviews. Post that Danielle gave me some research work concerning accounting issues pertaining to other countries; regulatory issues concerning audit of those countries as well. I had sufficient theoretical knowledge and with some support from her we were making good progress there as well. Specialization in respect of industry specific issues was something I was learning. During our lunch/snacks/dinner breaks I used get my technical doubts clarified from her.

Fifteen days passed like that. In those fifteen days that I worked with Danielle, I learnt more than I learnt during my three years combined. One must be fortunate to have a mentor like her. Yes, I dared to consider her my mentor.

------------

As the audit was nearing final closure and the date of audit committee meeting approaching, we had geared up for the presentation to be made before the board of Z. I made the slides of the accounts audited by me and sent them to Danielle for review directly. She didn't suggest many changes and there was a smile on her face as she reviewed the slides I shared. It felt good coming from her.

Slides for the other aspects started flowing in and I was working on consolidating them in the final presentation. That day was a Friday. The audit committee was scheduled to be held on Tuesday. We were supposed to send the presentation across to Bill and Andrew by Saturday afternoon.

That night Danielle left office at around 01:30 in the morning and asked me to go home, drop her a text once home and have some sleep; finish the presentation early in the morning and get a printout of the same along with the reference files to her hotel by 11:00.

I felt if I went home and slept, I wouldn't be able to get up early. And even if I took that risk and the risk paid off, I wasn't sure if that'd be such a good idea. Hence, I ignored her direct orders and finished the presentation by 06:00 in the morning. There was some miscellaneous research work which was to be closed and I finished that by 08:00, which I considered to be a polite time to drop her a text. She said to bring the documents over to her hotel room and texted me the details.

I reached the hotel by 08:20, went to her room and gently knocked her door. She was flabbergasted at my appearance. In the hindsight I directly left the office without washing my face or freshening up.

The look on her face showed that she was slightly annoyed, but more concerned.

"I asked you to get these by 11:00." She said looking at me.

"Sorry for being a bother, I thought I wouldn't be able to wake up and complete the presentation in time if I slept. Hence the non-compliance."

"So, you did not sleep the whole night?" she continued, "and you drove from office to here in this condition? Not cool Teddy..."

"It's no biggie Danielle."

"No, it is, first off you get in and make yourself comfortable while I look at the stuff you brought." The look of worry on her face warmed my heart.

I was a little tired that morning and do not recall exactly when I passed out on the couch in her room. But I remember waking up to Danielle's voice. She seemed to be on the phone or on teams I wasn't sure. But when I checked my phone for the time, it was 01:15 PM in the afternoon.

I hurriedly got off the couch. I had a blanket over me -- she must've covered me when I was asleep -- but there was a worried look on my face. Danielle finished her call by then and walked towards me.

"Sorry didn't mean to wake you up...."

"I'm sorry Ma'am, didn't mean to be a bother, I do not rem-"

"Danielle..." she cut me off and continued, "you still seem to be in sleep. How long have you not slept properly...? By the way you looked cute and at peace when asleep."

She said I looked cute! Yeah, she also accompanied that by '...and at peace' and removing that changes the meaning a little, but my heart was happy and who was I say argue otherwise! I was blushing and looking at the floor. A strange warmth engulfed my face then.

"Anyways, your late night or early morning shenanigans helped me like crazy. I just got off the phone with Bill and Andrew. We can take the rest of the day off. Saturday, Haha!"

I chuckled. I thought to take her leave then. "So, guess I'll push off and stop being a bother?"

"We can have lunch if you are not otherwise occupied?"

Can I call this is date? I definitely did it that time. There was no way on god's green earth I would refuse something like that.

"Sure, I've got no plans for today. But I'm not presentable. Can we make a quick stop at my place and I can dress appropriately, and then can we decide on a place?"

"No issues. Just wait here for a minute, I'll change, and we'll leave."

Danielle came back in a casual burgundy button-down blouse, comfy looking denims with sneakers beneath. She completed her incredibly cute look by wearing her wavy auburn hair in a ponytail, with a few strands of hair kissing her face.

Did I mention her hair turned me into a trichophile?

Coming back to my senses before I flooded her room's floor with my drool, I said, "You look very pretty...."

Even she blushed a little at that and while gently pushing an errant strand of hair behind her ears, she replied, "Thank you...."

I nodded and smiled, and made my way towards the door and held it open for Danielle. "After you."

We left the hotel; I opened the front door of my car for her. After ensuring she was seated, I made my way to the driver's seat and started driving towards my home.

We entered my apartment.

"Please make yourself comfortable. I got some new books, if you want to check out... I'll take a quick shower and then we can get going."

"Sure, thanks." She smiled at me and I felt very alive.

I took a fresh pair of boxers, a maroon dress shirt and blue jeans with me to the bathroom. Then had a quick shower and shave and came out almost ready.

When I was out and was beelining towards my closet to pick a watch and comfy sneakers, I saw Danielle going through a book. I belatedly realized that the bookmark of this particular book... I mean I had doodled our names on that bookmark in a cutesy way. That one in particular had the words 'DT' encapsulated in a small heart shape drawing. Thankfully that book was on Direct Taxes and I could work around that.

But Danielle did catch me in that state of mild embarrassment and before I could do some planned damage control she said, "You are reading a book on 'DT' -- Direct Taxes. Are you planning to shift to the tax department and poach the audit clients?"

She used the words 'DT' in a way that bordered on teasing. I thought of getting a bit ahead of myself and to continue the game she seemed to start, "Uhmm... can you please keep that secret to yourself... I wasn't looking at having it uncovered in this fashion. In fact, my prime targets are subsidiaries of your clients!"

With that we both cracked up.

She looked at me with glint of something in her eyes and with a small smile, "You look quite sharp yourself...."

I unconsciously placed my palm behind my head and mumbled something to the tune of thank you.

Then referring to the colour of her blouse and the colour of my shirt, she continued, "Hmm... burgundy and maroon make a good combination."

Feeling very bold at that particular instance I replied, "The best..." we both blushed....

The silence was warm and beautiful, but I was entering territory I was unequipped to handle, hence in a bid to change the subject I opened my closet for getting my watch and sneakers. She turned to see the contents of the closet and she was definitely surprised. Good surprised I hoped.

"Good god, what do you do with those many watches...? You use them to see time or manipulate time? And let's not even talk about those suits, tuxedos, t-shirts and flannels...."

"Well since I'm letting you in on my secrets, here goes another. If you'd have seen Doctor Strange or other Marvel movies with Dr. Strange in it, you might be aware of the time stone... in one of these watches: housed is the time stone... I use it to tinker with the space-time continuum when I'm sufficiently bored!"

AzureAsh
AzureAsh
51 Followers