Invisible String

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was a Saturday and we had to come to the office. However, as I heard Danielle approach, I could distinctly figure out the voice and arrival of another person. Perhaps a little person. I was right, accompanying Danielle, was her daughter Natalie.

"Hey, had to bring her with me. This makes my life way too easy." Danielle said.

I'm not sure how bringing together a child makes life way too easy, but, observing Natalie's demeanour, she didn't appear as someone who would make the life of the other difficult. Plus, she was very adorable. Also, she was the spitting image of Danielle.

I wished Danielle 'morning and then turned to Natalie and said, "Hello Natalie! My name is Ted, how are you?"

"How do you know me?" Natalie asked.

"Actually, I told him about you, Nat. Like you even Teddy here does not eat any meat or even eggs." Danielle replied.

Natalie looked at me with a surprised face. The face bore a look which said she was impressed / she appreciated my eating habits.

"Your Mom told me how you'd rather starve instead of eating food derived by taking the lives of innocent animals. And I completely agree with you there. My mantra is 'live and let live'." I said.

"In fact, I have my own variation of our classic grilled cheese sandwich. It tastes exactly the same, but dare I say a little better and of course for the bread and cheese and other ingredients, no animals were mortally harmed." I said in an overexcited manner.

"I would like to taste it. Mom can make it for me. You can tell her how." She replied rather calmly.

When Natalie said that, I got really manic. I quickly explained Danielle the recipe. I'd like to think she extrapolated the taste of the recipe in her mind and seemed to like it.

Post that, Danielle and I started with our work and Natalie with hers. She was doing what seemed to be her homework asking Danielle's help in between. That surprised me. It was definitely homework -- the confirmation arrived when Danielle asked a little of my help. As the homework was done, she was playing some sort of game on her Mum's phone. The game didn't seem like the one a six-year old plays. In between I also caught a glimpse of Natalie using YouTube -- she had earphones plugged in.

I was impressed by Natalie way way quicker than her Mom. She seemed smart, intelligent, hardworking and charming. It broke my heart when it hit me that she doesn't know what a father's love means. She was six, but the way she carried herself it definitely was way more mature.

We were working for some more time and Natalie was doing whatever she was doing, when Danielle said without any malice in her voice, "We'll have lunch in twenty? Order up whatever grass you usually order!"

Natalie and I, instinctively, both at the same time shot her a look. To which she had that okay-don't-gang-up-on-me-like-that expression on her face.

I was pleasantly surprised when Natalie said, "Teddy I'll share my lunch with you..." Danielle was awed and so was I.

"I'll definitely have yours Natalie. But then, if your Mom would allow, even I would like to share my lunch with you..." I replied.

Again, instinctively, we both looked at Danielle with puppy-dog eyes, to which she emphatically nodded. The child in me, which never died, was never more alive than that moment when Natalie and I did a 'high-five' post receiving Danielle's approval.

Lunch was lovely. Danielle continued to mock our eating habits, though there was no prejudice in her tone, and it was just innocent fun. Even Nat and I feigned anger and shot her daggers to be a part of her act. Nat and I, I think, were definitely mature for our respective ages, but, somehow, I believe, in each other's company the latent child came out.

After finishing the work that day and bidding my respective goodbyes to the two of the smartest and prettiest girls I've ever seen I arrived at the guesthouse. And as I laid down to initiate my sexual congress with sleep, where we would fornicate and conceive dreams, Danielle as usual was in my mind. But even Nat had somehow found a prominent place in my mind as I reflected on how well we bonded. I was -- as always -- looking forward to my next meeting with Danielle and I was also looking forward to my next meeting with Nat.

------------

Shakespeare said, "Speak low if you speak love."

The immediate next Monday, while I was printing out an audit report for Danielle, I was singing rather loudly:

"Something's gotta give now

'Cause I'm dying just to make you see

That I need you here with me now

'Cause you've got that one thing

So get out, get out, get out of my head

And fall into my arms instead

I don't, I don't, don't know what it is-"

I didn't notice Danielle beside me as I sang, but when I did notice her, I stopped immediately. Referring to the printed report she said, "But I need that one thing and you've got that one thing..."

The moment was hilarious and we both shared a knowing laugh. I was also reflecting on her completing that line and making my own dreamy interpretations.

"What's with that look on your face?" She asked snapping me out of my daydreams.

"I was just thinking how cool it would be if they were still together..." I replied thinking of some plausible response which wouldn't be a lie. It wasn't as, whenever I listened to or hummed one of their songs I'd always thought about that exact same thing.

Danielle looked confused for a moment and then her face relaxed a bit. What I said, I think, was understood by her a little late.

"Well they aren't and there's nothing we can do..." she replied.

"Yup, there's nothing we can do. Like we should be happy right for what they gave us and not sad for what they couldn't. Like we should rejoice that they once were a band and not rue that they are disbanded. Right? I mean they did strike a chord with me, some of their songs still do..." I replied lost in my own thoughts.

"Speaking of striking a chord, you struck some chord with Nat on Saturday. She was like 'Teddy this...', 'Teddy that...'. Oh, and by the way I made her the recipe you shared, and she loved it. You made a great impression on her, which, believe me, is very difficult." Danielle said, her words taking me by surprise and warming my heart at the same time.

"Wow! That's awesome. I mean I strongly felt I was bonding with her and it makes me so happy to know her feelings run along similar lines. I mean I'm always like a child at heart, but that child never comes out like it came when I was with Nat. I feel our wavelengths match at a visceral level." I replied.

"Well, I've never seen her or even you for that matter behaving that way. It felt as if I was a baby-sitter for two little scamps!"

"So... I mean... if you don't mind and if it's not too much of a bother, I'd really like if you could bring her to the office like you did the other day. I'd like to maybe help her out with her homework. Share some more recipes. You know, just spend a little time..." I asked hoping she wouldn't turn down my request.

"Sure, that'd help me as well. I'll see and definitely bring her along when I get a chance."

I gave Danielle the report I'd had printed out. "Thank you" I replied feeling a strange knowing happiness.

I do like children, but just like her Mother, just in a different way something felt different about Nat. Yes, she was Danielle's daughter and that definitely was a big reason. But I really liked the way she operated at just six, of what little time I spent with her. Knowing the importance of a father's love growing up and feeling the pang its absence brought, my heart ached for her. I don't know how I did or why I did, but I could see glimpses of myself in her.

Before we wrapped up for the day, I gave Danielle a couple more of my recipes to make for Natalie.

And as I lay on my bed that night, I was full of hope that I could be a part of the lives of Danielle and Nat. I dared myself to think even they wanted to be a part of mine. There was also a fear that I'd be back in my country after the three-month secondment there wouldn't be any tangible future which we could share. It was a messy headspace that night as I went to sleep.

------------

That messy headspace did turn into a tumultuous one, however, as the days passed, I did bring all my concerns down to an acceptable level by convincing myself to have that extra faith in my ability to be able to do the right thing when the time would so arrive; to cross that bridge when it comes. I decided to solely focus on Nat, Danielle and work, as worrying would be counterproductive.

As my first month at the headquarters was nearing completion, Danielle did keep her promise and did bring Nat along on one Saturday. The time gap between our two meetings didn't seem to affect our bond-in-formation one bit and we resumed exactly where we left probably even stronger and closer. Nat had a penchant for Maths and I had helped her a little with it. This time when we had lunch, to my pleasant surprise, Danielle had packed lunch for both Nat and me. I didn't know what I did to deserve such care, but I felt really good. Really loved, really cared for in a long time.

By the end of the first fortnight of the second month of my secondment, Nat and I had another two Saturdays at work. Each meeting was more awesome that the previous one. We'd do homework, discuss new food recipes and just talk a lot. I was getting very attached to Nat. Even she felt the same and I could feel that in my bones. We were nigh inseparable when we were together in the office. We also chatted a few times when I was on a Teams call with Danielle. Danielle definitely was the queen of my heart, but things between us were still a bit intangible. And I still feared Danielle wouldn't feel the same way about me as I did for her. But with Nat, the affection between us was conspicuously tangible. Conspicuously reciprocated. I had never felt such strength in a bond in a very long time. The last time I'd felt a bond be this strong was with my Parents... I could feel my fears from earlier come back, but this time I was better equipped to handle them.

It was third Saturday of the second month of my secondment and as usual Nat accompanied Danielle. However, this time when I greeted Nat, we did not shake hands as we usually did. She threw herself at me and I caught her in the air. Her happiness and smile were infectious, and I twirled her around a bit before settling her on my arm. She held my neck in an embrace and placed a loud kiss on my cheek. My happiness knew no bounds then. I didn't know the reason then, but I was happy that she was happy.

However, later that night I did know the reason as Danielle said the same to me after we finished our review on a Teams call.

"Nat was very bubbly today. Bubblier than usual. It felt really good to see her like that." I said without consciously realizing that I'd made an enquiry.

"Well someone during the last couple of weeks helped her a lot with her favourite subject -- Maths. As a result of that she was already a couple of topics ahead of her teacher. And when during sometime towards the latter part of this week her teacher covered those topics, she learned a couple of new tricks. And since then she's just elated. And when that someone was in front of her eyes, her elation knew no bounds and as they say the rest is history!" Danielle replied.

"I'm so happy Danielle." I said trying to control the welling up in my eyes.

"And that's why we need to talk." She said with her face bearing a little serious expression.

"And that's why I want the usage of that phrase to be made illegal." I countered trying to lighten the mood a little.

Danielle smiled. "Look I've been observing you two for almost a month now. I know how attached, she is, to you. I've never seen her so happy any time before. And I even know how well you bond with her. In fact, during all the time we've worked together I've never seen you this happy. And somehow that is the cause of my worry. I mean it's not a big worry per se, but you are by far the best male presence in her life. And once your secondment term is completed and you fly back to your home, I'm just a little afraid she'll take it bad. I mean over time she'll be able to get over it, but during the initial days post your departure, it'll hurt her a lot." She said laying down her concerns honestly.

I took a deep breath. "Danielle you know that I think a lot. And to this exact worry of yours I did give a fair bit of thought -- to the extent it gave me a lot of anxiety. But I was also able to achieve a quasi-reconciliation of sorts to deal with my conflicting thoughts. I can't right now tell you how, but I'm sure I will figure a way out or if it would be fine with you, we could figure a way out to make that concern of your non-material. But one thing that I'm absolutely sure of is that I will never hurt Nat. I will never let her come in harm's way.

"Danielle, do you know how it feels to really love someone and that absolute joy in knowing they love you back? I know how I feel about Nat and in my heart I'm absolutely sure she feels the same way about me -- that's something I haven't felt in a long long time. She makes me feel that even existence of someone like me can be delightful. That's something I cannot and will not let slip away from me, whatever it takes. Now, even if it requires me to relocate here, I'm more than willing to do it." I replied with equal honesty.

That frown, that expression of worry had started to dissipate from Danielle's face. "Thank you, Teddy. Thanks for looking out for Nat. You don't know how relieved I am hearing that from you. But, seriously, relocation? Would you consider doing that for me? I mean for Nat?" She asked with an underlying tone of eagerness in her voice. And yes, I did not miss the 'for me' part in her question.

"Hey, Nat has assumed a very important place in my heart. She has me wrapped around her little finger. And I consider myself fortunate for that. She's quickly capturing all of my heart in entirety, part by part. And other than Andrew and my apartment, there is nothing for me in that country. Moreover, apart from all the emotional considerations, I'm really liking the accounting, auditing and regulatory landscape here in the headquarters and I could seriously consider accepting an employment here if they'll have me. I also have that CPA certification and both theoretical as well as practical knowledge of how things work around here. And I would like to think Andrew's reference is also something I have with me. Even if, somehow, I do not get accepted here, I can always find businesses to keep their books. What I'm trying to say is I'd like to be a part of her life too. I dare myself to think that fate wills it so. Even if I'm just a tutor to her -- not that she needs one in the first place -- but I'm ready to accept it."

"You said there is nothing for you back home, not even memories?"

"Danielle, memories are in here," I said touching my temple, "they will be with me even if I decide to spend the rest of my life meditating in the caves housed in the Himalayas."

"That makes sense. Anyways, thanks again Teddy. It really makes me happy seeing Nat bonding with someone that happily. And even more seeing someone care for her that earnestly."

We made some small talk about work for around five minutes after that and called it a night. I was a little concerned about me coming across very strongly again. I mean I could've definitely scared her off -- I did say I'd relocate. Or maybe I was just reading too much into our talk as Danielle did not respond the way I would have wanted her to about me getting a job at headquarters or keeping books if I decide to relocate. But she didn't seem to react badly either. And the fact of the matter was that I was ready to relocate. I don't know if it sounds silly, but I was ready to do it even at a minute's notice. So, I managed to brush aside those petty concerns and tucked myself in.

------------

As weeks flew by and as the end of the first week of my third month approached, all my petty concerns were flushed away in a majestic fashion. Danielle just came at her desk from Bill's cabin after a meeting which roughly lasted an hour. The look on her face was unreadable until she started to give out the juicy secrets which pumped energy in my body.

"So, you were serious right, when you were speaking about relocation to here and about exploring a job opportunity here?" She asked.

I indeed was and I told her the same.

"Well it's not official as of now, as it still needs certain approvals, but for all practical purposes Mr. Theodore Franklin, you would be very welcome to work as an employee on the payrolls of the headquarters!" She divulged the juicy secret.

I experienced a sudden surge of energy and couldn't control my body or my mind. I ran towards Danielle hugged her tight -- very tight -- even lifting her off the floor during the process. Then, without thinking, I placed a big kiss on her cheek.

As the realization of that kiss and the fact of me feeling a lot of her body on mine, dawned on me, I was snapped out of my euphoric high. Panic then coursed my veins as I noticed the flustered/flushed look on her face.

"Danielle, I sincerely apologise for that. It was the sudden eruption of euphoria and-" I said hoping to do some damage control as Danielle interrupted me.

"It's okay, Ted. I was just surprised. Even I'm really happy with this development. In a couple of days, we hope we could formally bring you on our rolls." She said smiling evaporating that panic from my veins.

I flopped on my chair leaning back and smiling a contented smile as a solitary drop of tear trickled down my cheek.

------------

After a couple of days, my employment with headquarters was confirmed. I even received a mail from Andrew, asking me to meet him when I'd be back home to take care of the relocation stuff. During the next couple of weeks, I took care of all the requisite compliances associated with the relocation. Everything was in place and all I had to do was go back home and sort things out there before beginning the new proverbial chapter of my life here with, I hope, Danielle and Nat. Or even just Nat if Danielle doesn't desire my companionship. Or somehow just stay afloat here if both those wonderful girls choose to just want my acquaintance, though I hoped it wouldn't come to that.

Just during this time, I received another surprise as Danielle invited me to her place for her birthday. She said it wouldn't be a big celebration and just be a family and friends get-together event. The event seemed to be rather intimate and my maniac heart and mind came to a unanimous conclusion that I should be very special to Danielle if she invited me. Again, I wasn't someone to argue where a decision was unanimously made.

As her birthday arrived, I found myself very in high spirits as if it were mine. Though I never celebrated mine, but I was very excited for hers. I dressed in a blue suit with a peach dress shirt inside. I kept my facial hair very neatly trimmed. I bought her the "A Song of Ice and Fire" novel series, as she often expressed her interest read them.

I reached her place at the designated time and was greeted by Danielle herself. She wore a blue dress like that worn by Pepper Potts in Iron Man I. And god she was sex on the legs. Now, I'm not the one who leers lecherously on every woman, but I don't not look either. I just appreciatively look and thank god for creating women, and that's the end of it. Any specific appreciations are done deep within my conscious and, more often than not, they aren't very overt. But at that very moment I was staring at her slack-jawed and with extreme hardship, stopped my drool to flood the city. I only could mutter something to the tune of wow and happy birthday, and she smiled and invited me in.