Is There Life After Retirement

Story Info
Mike learns that retirement on the river has benefits.
18k words
4.82
27.7k
47
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TxRad
TxRad
5,936 Followers

Is There Life After Retirement

By TxRad

Hello, my name is Mike Green and this is a story about my retirement. I was an electrical engineer for close to forty years and at one time or another worked for some of the largest corporations around. It sounds like fun but it wasn't. Large corporations have interesting projects but too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

I married my high school sweetheart, who I also lived with all throughout college. After graduation, we moved to a big city and settled into an upscale condominium. Life was great but I hated living in the city. I guess I was a country boy at heart.

Sherry loved the city. She blossomed into a beautiful woman who ended up with her own modeling agency. Her social schedule was filled with upscale events and the who's, who of the city and the country. Not my cup of tea at all.

Ten years down the road we split up and I moved back to the small town where I was born. Not much in the way of large corporations there but I got lucky and applied for a job at a small research and development company run by a guy named Harry Truman. No relation to the other guy by that name.

At first, I was the R&D department. I didn't make nearly as much money when we started but that increased as we grew and got known around the state and then around the country. No job too big or too small was our motto. We made our mark solving problems bigger companies couldn't.

I ended up with a staff of eight working for me on the second floor of our new building and a whole lot of other people on the lower floor that did salvage work for two different phone companies. I even designed the machines that took the transmitters and receivers apart. Harry had made me a partner earlier so I had incentive shall we say.

*****

Jump forward twenty years. My office door was very seldom closed and today was no exception. I was up to my ears in a revamp and modernization of one of our older products. "When you've got a minute, come by my office," Harry said from the door.

"Give me ten minutes and I'm all yours," I replied without looking up.

It was closer to an hour and a half later before I turned my drawings over to one of the technicians. I was on my way back to my office when I remembered that Harry wanted to speak with me. I made a detour toward his office.

Harry's secretary sent me right on in. "You wanted to talk with me?" I asked as I entered the room.

"Yeah, yeah, sit down," Harry said as he closed a folder and moved it to the corner of his desk.

He took a deep breath and leaned back in his chair. "You're what, fifty five now?"

"Later this year," I replied and then waited for my boss and partner to go on. Harry never rushed things.

"How would you like to retire?" Was his next question.

I grinned and asked in reply, "Are you ready to get rid of me?"

"I'll be seventy next month and I'm ready to retire," Harry said.

"And?" I asked.

"I, we have had an offer to buy us out," Harry said flatly.

"And?" I asked again.

"I think it is time for us both to retire. It's not like either one of us is hurting for money. You have your 401K, investments, and your stock in the company."

With a grin, I said, "And what would I do with my time if I couldn't come in here and boss everyone around?"

"I know you like to fish," Harry said. "And I know you like it out in the country. This town's gets bigger everyday."

I nodded. "I could find me a smaller place out by the lake."

Harry looked at me for a moment and said, "I have four acres on the river down the road from my house. I could make you a good deal on the place."

"So what is the offer?" I asked next.

"Six million in cash and a buy out of our stock after the stock splits."

My eyes grew wide and my mouth dropped open. Harry chuckled at the display of shock. "More than you ever expected?"

"Uh, yeah. Not that I ever tried to figure out what this mess of ours is worth."

Harry chuckled. "Hell, I think I'll just give you that land down the road. How much trouble can you get into out in the boondocks?"

Harry would have been shocked at the answer to that last question.

*****

The deal went through and I retired. It didn't take long for me to get bored. I never was one to go out much so... I went to see Harry about the land. He signed the deed over to me and took me down the road to show me where the four corners of the property were marked with steel rods in the ground.

I spent some time over the next few weeks wandering around on the place. I noted the high water marks from past flooding on the river and picked a high spot as close to the river as I considered safe. Maybe a house was too much. Maybe something along the lines of a cabin with a boathouse and sun deck.

A twenty by forty four foot prefab building on eight foot pilings solved the cabin problem. Although getting it in the road and up onto the pilings presented its own problems. Problem solving had been my life so things like that were fun to me. A contractor came in and added walls, insulation, plumping, and all that stuff that a house needed.

A water well was drilled, electric was run from the road, and a septic system installed. Last but not least, the place was fenced on three sides.

With everything more or less finished, I spent a few nights in the new place. Camped was more like it. I had lights, hot water, and all the appliances but no furniture. The stuff in my house in town was too big for the most part to fit this place.

Which brought me to the point of why did I need the place in town? This is where Mary Ann entered the picture. She was a real estate agent. Tall, slender, red headed and as friendly as could be, describes her pretty well. She also got my house sold in record time.

When she brought me the news, she looked around and said, "What are going to do with all your stuff?"

I know a surprised look crossed my face because she grinned and said, "You hadn't thought about that, I take it."

"Uh, no, not really. Not much here will fit my new place and what does has already been moved, along with the personal items I want to keep," I told her.

She looked around again and said, "I have a friend that buys estates. Should I give her a call or are you going to store it?"

"Storing it seems like a waste of money and good furniture," I said, making a quick decision. "Give her a call."

Gerri showed up, made me a fair deal on everything, and then spent some time going through the closets and cupboards making suggestions on stuff I should take with me for the new place. Sheets, blankets, pillows, plates, silverware, utensils, pots, and pans. Stuff that I hadn't thought about.

On the screened in back porch, she asked about the patio style table and chairs. "The new place doesn't have a porch." I told her and then added, "I need to fix that."

She looked at her watch and said, "Let me call my crew and I'll give you a hand moving the rest of your stuff and this table. Your small truck won't hold it all."

"I live out in the country on the other side of the river. I hate bothering you," I said.

She chuckled and replied, "I like getting back to nature ever so often."

*****

My driveway made an "S" curve so the house wasn't visible from the road. The only clearing I had done was for the road and room enough for the house and to get it in place. There was a small covered deck at the corner of the house where the front door was and a two car carport at the foot of the stairs.

I pulled into the carport and Gerri parked behind me. When she got out, she looked around and grinned. "When you said you were in the country, you meant it."

"When I retired, my boss gave me the land as part of my retirement. He lives a mile or so down the road," I explained.

As we unloaded the table and chairs, placing them under the house, Gerri stopped and looked toward the river. "Hey, I know that sandbar over on the other side of the river. It's a good place to sun and swim."

"I've only seen a few people over there," I said, "but I haven't paid it much attention with everything that has been going on here."

Gerri chuckled. "I hate to say it but you've messed up some peoples fun, in more ways than one."

With a confused look, I asked, "How's that?"

"The land over there belongs to a club owner in town and has a locked gate. My daughter works for him as a bartender and has a key to the gate. Some afternoons and nights, that sandbar has more action going on than the club does," she said with a big grin.

"Action?" I asked.

Gerri laughed and said, "Lets just say neither me or my daughter have tan lines."

I had noticed that she had a nice tan and then the thought of her sunbathing nude crossed my mind and I grinned at her. "I'll definitely have to keep an eye on things."

"Keep that in mind when you build your back porch."

I turned and looked at the river. "And a boathouse with a roof sundeck. Not that my old body has seen much of the sun over the last twenty years."

"We'll have to work on that," Gerri said with a wink. "Give me or Mary Ann a call when you get it finished and we'll come out and help you christen it."

"Either or both of you are welcome anytime," I said with a big smile.

Gerri turned toward her truck as she said, "Be careful what you wish for."

As she got into her truck I said, "I gave up on wishes a long time ago."

She sat there looking at me for a moment and then asked, "Are you a widower or just a confirmed bachelor?"

"Neither. I was married for about ten years but it didn't work out so we got a divorce about twenty years ago. I've had a few girl friends over the years but nothing stuck. I've pretty much given up on the dating scene."

Gerri started her truck and said, "When you stop looking is when you find exactly what you were looking for."

Before I could say anything, she backed the truck up and turned around. With a wave, she headed down the driveway.

*****

Later in the week, I called the guy who had put in the pilings for the cabin to talk about the porch, a dock, and boathouse. He said he would send someone around the next day to see what I had in mind.

The second bedroom was an office or rather where my computer equipment was. I still had all my files from work and did some consulting with the people who had bought our company. One of the engineers that worked there had an idea for consolidating a couple of our remote traffic control systems.

I was on the phone with him when there was a knock on the door. I told him to hold on and went to the front door. It was open and no on was in sight. About then, there was another knock only it was at the back door. I turned to see a young woman standing outside.

"Hey, let me call you back, I have a contractor here that I need to talk too."

He had no problem with it, so I hung up and walked to the back door. "Can I help you?"

"My dad did the pilings here and said you had some more work for us."

"Sure," I said as I laid the phone on the end of the counter and opened the glass storm door.

"I'm Vicky," she said and held out her hand.

"I'm Mike," I replied as I shook her hand. She had a firm grip.

"So what can we do for you?"

"I know I want a screened in porch. Probably ten or twelve feet wide and half the length of the back of the house. I'd also like to talk about a walkway and a boathouse. One with a roof sundeck."

"We've done all of that before, so no problem. Let me grab some measurements and I'll give you a figure on the porch in a few days. I'll also have a look at the river bank and take some depth readings so my dad can figure the cost on that."

I nodded and asked, "Do you need any help?"

"Probably not but thanks for asking," she replied as she headed out the back door.

"Uh, why did you come to the back door?" I asked.

"It was the closest door since I came by boat," she said as she went out the door.

I walked over to the door and looked out. A big Jon boat was tied to a tree on the edge of the riverbank. I had thought of a boat but I didn't know what type or size would be right for the river. I followed the young woman down the stairs.

Helping her get the measurements she needed only took a half hour or so. Twelve by twenty was the size for the porch and the existing platform and steps would be moved out to line up with the new screen door.

When we moved down to check the riverbank, I asked about a fishing boat. She shrugged and replied, "This is a work boat for us. It would work for a fishing boat but is probable bigger than you'd need." She also gave me the name of a local boat dealer.

I held the front of the boat steady as she used a series of screw together pipes to check the depth at intervals off the bank. The one she made about twenty feet off shore was three times as deep as the one before.

"There is a drop-off out here. Would you have any objection to us digging the bank back say eight or ten feet? It would actually be cheaper than putting in extra long pilings and it would get the structure away from the current more."

I thought over what she said and nodded. "I don't see a problem."

She had the poles unscrewed and stored away. "Then I'll get all the measurements to dad. I'm assuming you'll want a boat lift to get the boat out of the water."

"Uh, yes, a boat lift would be good. How about a dock?"

"Most people just pull their boat into the boathouse and tie up there."

"I wanted a place to fish from and maybe to swim from."

The young woman looked up at the sky and the position of the sun. "We could add an eight foot by eight foot platform off the north corner for that. A couple more pilings and some framing and decking."

"Uh, why the north corner?" I asked in confusion.

"Afternoon shade from the main structure," she replied.

With a grin, I said, "You sure think of everything."

"Experience," she replied as she turned and looked across the river. "Like offsetting the whole structure so it doesn't block the view of the sandbar across the way from your porch."

I chuckled and shook my head. "Am I the only one who doesn't know about that sandbar?"

"Lets just say it was a fixture on this river way before I was born. Mama hinted one time that I was probably conceived there," she said with a wink.

"I've never considered myself a voyeur but...." I started to say and then ran down.

Vicky grinned. "There are a lot of exhibitionist around so...."

With a chuckle I said, "And they need a voyeur to be complete."

"You got it," she said as she sat down and started the outboard. As she started to back the boat out she said, "My dad or I will call you in a few days."

With a wave, she turned the boat and head off up the river. She was out of sight around the bend in only a minute or so. I was grinning at the ease with which she handled that long wide boat.

"Maybe I can get some boating tips from her," I said to myself as I went up the stairs.

*****

Two weeks later, things got noisy around the new place. First, a barge showed up and dug a wide deep trench in the riverbank. The next day, it was turned around. A long extension was added to the crane like part and it started to hammer pilings into the ground up by the house.

Vicky was there directing everything. By the end of the day, most of the pilings were set. The next morning, a little after daylight, hammering along with the sound of air nail guns woke me up. I hurried into the kitchen and looked out the glass door.

There seemed to be a guy hanging from every piling. As I watched, a large long plank was raised up and then slowly lowered almost in the guy's laps. Several levels were laid out and then nail guns started up again. Now there were two boards holding the outer row of pilings. One on the inside and one on the outside.

I had watched as these same guys had tied the pilings under my house together the same way. First nails and then they drilled holes for bolts. The piling was sandwiched between the thick boards. I saw Vicky and waved. She waved back.

By the time I had my coffee made, they were finished with the outer pilings and were moving to the middle row. By the end of the day, they had the framing done and the deck for the porch laid. They even got the platform and steps back up.

It was almost dark when there was a knock at the back door. I flipped on the porch light and saw Vicky standing outside. I opened the glass door and said, "Come on in."

She grinned and said, "You come on out."

I looked at her funny but came outside. "Be careful," she warned. "There are no rails yet except on the platform at the stairs."

Looking around. I was surprised at the panoramic view I had. "Wow, what a change," I said.

Vicky nodded. "Just a few feet out this direction makes a big difference in how far up and down the river you can see. Move out to the outer edge and the view gets even better."

I looked at the bare edge and shivered. "I'll, uh, wait for the rail. High open places scare me."

Vicky nodded again. "We should have the porch finished tomorrow and some if not all the pilings in for the boathouse."

"You guys work fast," I said.

"Time is money," she said in reply. "Anyway, it's supposed to rain later in the week. I want everything dried in by then."

I looked at the deck and asked, "How about stain for the deck and paint for the porch?"

She shook her head. "Everything we use is treated lumber so it will have to dry before we can paint and stain. Probably a few weeks down the road at the very least."

I nodded and took a few cautious steps forward to look down toward the riverbank. "Uh, has everyone else left?"

Vicky chuckled. "As usual, I'm the first one here and the last to go."

"Are you in the boat or a truck?" I asked.

She laughed and replied, "I'm a river girl. It's boats all the way."

"That must make trips to town a bitch," I said with a grin.

"Actually not. Down the river and across the lake. We even keep a supply truck at a dock over there. It's faster to town by boat in good weather."

"I've looked at a map or two but I haven't quite figured out where everything is."

Vicky grinned and winked at me. "When we're finished and I get a day off, I'll have to play guide and show you around."

"Maybe I'll have my own boat by then. I have an appointment at the boat dealers tomorrow afternoon."

"Ask for Sammy, she'll treat you right and she'll sell you the boat you need at a reasonable price."

"Everyone has been so helpful," I said as Vicky headed for the stairs.

"Welcome to the country," she said as she disappeared from sight.

*****

The boat dealership wasn't fancy, a small office with a shop area behind it and several rows of sheds with boats of all kinds sitting in the shade. I wandered around for a few minutes. I was looking at a boat shorter and narrower than Vicky's was.

"Can I help you?" A female voice asked from behind me.

I turned to see a short well-rounded young woman. "I want a boat but I have no idea of what I want."

"Okay, no problem but lets see if we can narrow it down somewhat. Fishing, skiing, cruising, speed."

"Uh, fishing mostly but also something I can run the river in."

"What kind of fishing?" She asked next.

"Catfish, crappie, maybe a little bass fishing," I replied.

"By yourself or with your wife or a friend?"

I grinned and replied, "Since I don't have a wife or a friend for that matter, I guess by myself."

"With a boat, you'll make friends," the woman said as she stuck out her hand. "I'm Sammy."

I shook her hand and replied, "I'm Mike and Vicky, the contractor told me to see you."

"Vicky's good people and a real river rat," she replied with a wink.

"Uh, river rat?" I asked quickly.

Sammy laughed. "If you live on the river and spend most of your time in a boat, you're a river rat."

TxRad
TxRad
5,936 Followers