Isabel, The Beauty Next Door Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As I walk into our room Izzy is just lying on the bed. She looks up at me and says "strip me, Jimmy." I don't have to be asked twice. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it.

We settle in bed and spend a while loving each other with our tender kisses and caresses. It's not long though before Izzy starts to drift off and I follow shortly after.

******

Izzy is leaning against me on the train just enjoying being with me. We are watching videos on my phone as the train makes its way north to Barnstaple. The weather isn't as good as it's been of late and it looks like it will rain sometime soon. As we hit Eggesford the rain starts to fall.

Izzy turns to me just before we get into Barnstaple. "What days have we got together this week? Back in Exeter Thursday, it doesn't leave us much time together again."

"Dad's given me the week off. He's got a couple of small jobs to do so doesn't really need me." With that Izzy's face brightens up.

"I'm still not sure what your Job interview is for. I thought you wanted to go to University Jimmy."

"You and me both Iz. I will see Thursday, but it might be an opportunity to get my feet in the door of a very prestigious company."

"Yeah maybe," Isabel replies, but she looks at me as though she was a little unsure, and a little distant. I can feel my stomach twist up because I am desperate to tell Izzy what the possibilities might be, but it would kill me to break her heart after giving her hope. I just hope it doesn't show on my face.

We pull into Barnstaple and make our way into town. Luckily the rain has eased off so we walk across the old bridge hand in hand. There's a sandwich shop near the bus station that does a fantastic cooked breakfast in a bun. Isabel decides to try one as well, they call them 'The Bin Lid'. It fills you up for hours.

The bus pulls in shortly after we finish our food and we wait for the bus to change drivers before we can get on and head home.

We get home just before twelve. Isabel heads home for a bit to take her overnight bag home and to change. When she comes back in she asks if we can snuggle for a while and doze. There's not much we can do on a day like today, so it sounds good to me.

I wake to some soft wet lips touching mine. I smile and open one eye. "What a way to wake up," I say with an expanding smile.

"I couldn't help myself. You look so angelic laying there." She comes back down for a repeat.

We spend the rest of the day just hanging in my room. The weather is still a bit shit outside and we are both feeling the effects of the excessive weekend.

The next couple of days Isabel and I hardly leave each other's side. Her 'monthly' came to an end on Tuesday, and she was rampant Tuesday night. We are getting to know everything about each other's needs. When we made love for a second time on Tuesday night it was very intense and totally fulfilling. We held each other very close as we came back down from an enormous high. We both fell asleep soon after that.

Wednesday we went cycling around the area. I showed Isabel some places that I used to hang out with Sam and told her some more stories of what we got up to when we were younger. I showed her where I spent many hours learning Kendo with Sensei.

Isabel seems to be very settled in now and comfortable with the area. I catch her once in a while thinking about where her life's going and give her plenty of cuddles when she needs them. This makes me feel even guiltier about not giving her any hope, even though it could be false.

Wednesday evening Sam heads home after we spend the day together. They have to be up quite early to drive up to Taunton. It's about an hour and a half away from here.

******

I manage to get a lift into town with Isabel's family. When I had come over to see if I could catch a lift Mr. Richards took me to one side. He asks attentively about Isabel, and whether I seriously think we could help her. I was honest with him because I still didn't have any real answer. The one thing I did ask him to do for me, was to look into what he can really do to help.

I manage to get the eight forty train to Exeter. Finally, I arrive at Exeter Central station at just past ten to ten and receive a great flying cuddle from my best friend. She sent my portfolio case flying with her enthusiasm.

"Hey Munchkin, we only saw each other at the weekend," I say laughing while I picked up my black case.

"I know J, but I do really miss you."

"Yeah, must admit I still miss you in my life constantly."

"Ahhhhh, he loves me," Sam says with her usual exuberance

"I deny all knowledge. Excuse me, do I know you, young lady?" I say in a posher loud voice. People glance in our direction, so we hurry out of the station laughing.

As we leave the station Sam pushes me playfully and hits my arm. "Ha, bastard."

"Wow, call that a punch?" I say with a sarcastic tone. "Ow, that hurt." I think I should keep my mouth shut as the second one come flying in with a little more force.

"Now you have a matching pair, Jay."

Luckily she really can't fight her way out of a wet paper bag, but it's how we've always been.

"You wait payback will be so sweet." I stop and give her one of my exaggerated Kendo moves.

"Ok ok, I give. "As we both burst into laughter

"So what do you want to do until my appointment then Munchkin?"

"Ahhh, we haven't got that much time Jay, so we can go to the Costa around the corner. You can buy me a toasted sandwich because you miss me sooooo much."

"Yeah yeah, thank god for Isabel."

Sam shakes her head, "Come on Jay." The smile on her face tells me she is fine with that.

We make our way towards Costa holding hands, and chatting like we always do.

As we sit down by the window after ordering. For a while, we sit letting the world go by.

"So was there any problems from Sunday night? I didn't freak Hannah out too much?"

"Christ Jay no, if anything she's thankful you were there."

"She seems to enjoy kissing me a lot?" I say while I smile at her.

"Bastard."

"Bitch."

"Ha, can't use virgin anymore." Our usual well-worn banter had changed. I frowned, a lot has changed in such a short time, and my friend here is worried about something. "Seriously Sam, are you and Hannah OK?"

"Yeah, very good. If anything too good."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, she seems too perfect for me. It frightens me, though I might have to kiss a couple of frogs first."

I sit there quiet for a moment. "So you were hoping to play the field?"

"Nooooo." she snaps, then, "no," a little calmer. She put her hand on mine to say she wasn't snapping at me.

"It is your first serious relationship, it's bound to be scary. Look, Sam, I can see how much you like Hannah. If you are worried about everything going too fast, then just slow it down a bit. Talk to her if it frightens you that much, I know you will find she has her worries too. You know you can always talk to me if you need to."

"Thanks, J, I know I can always count on you. Look at the time, you only have a quarter of an hour to get there."

We get up to leave, I put my arm around Sam, "thanks, Jay. Don't forget that." She points at my portfolio leaning against the wall.

It was only a short walk to Sampson Harris, and we get there with five minutes to spare. It is a very modern-looking building with three floors, and glass covering most of the top two floors. For some reason, I was expecting something a little bigger. Sam and I get shown to the waiting room.

Bang on half eleven a middle-aged man walked into the room, and straight up to me. "You must be James, I am Edward Harris"

"Yes Sir Mr. Harris, it's an honor to meet you."

He looks at Sam for a second, "Sorry, this is my best friend Sam. Is it ok if she waits for me here?"

"Yes, I can't see why not. This way James, and don't forget your portfolio."

This man was very confident without being arrogant. I'm not sure why, but I took an instant liking to him. We walk up a sweeping staircase, and into a large office. Outside was a woman typing on a computer. She smiles at me as I walk past, and Mr. Harris tells her not to disturb us.

"Take a seat, James. Now I'm not going to beat around the bush James. I have cut my holiday short to be here today. Made my wife one unhappy bunny, but this has to be sorted by next Friday.

Now, Collin Jenkins contacted me around a year and a half ago. We had discussed in the past about getting a promising talent fresh out of college and putting them through University. We usually get top graduates directly from universities already qualified, but we have found that is fine for... how should I put this, the bread and butter work. An Idea was floated by my partner in crime Andrew Sampson a while ago. We are looking for a talented young person that we can mold into something that will take this company forward, and also taking some of the workloads from our shoulders. After all, Andrew and I are both in our early forties, and we want to live a little. It has taken just over four years to even find a possible candidate.

This now brings us to you. Collin sent us pictures of your designs. This set in motion a series of tests to see if you fit our needs. We set a couple assignments to see if you were suitable, and put you up against some of our graduates. Also, I have to mention your Facebook page, there are some pictures you have done that even we could use today. You have impressed Andrew in particular because that is his field of expertise."

At this moment I am sat there open-mouthed listening in disbelief to this man speak.

"I must say, James, you have a natural ability for design, and both Andrew and myself are impressed with what we have seen. Also, I was very impressed with your energy-saving ideas. That is my area of the business. Do you seriously think that you can make windows into solar panels without losing too much light?"

I start to compose myself. "Why thank you, sir. The simple answer to your question is yes. The basic technology is already there. The only questions are how much power it will produce with the film application, and can it be scaled up to window size. As for light, most building windows are tinted anyway and I don't see this to block anymore light than a thirty percent tint."

"Call me Edward please, sir makes me feel old."

"Sorry, Edward."

"Right before we get to the nuts and bolts, do you mind if I take a look?"

Mr. Harris reached a hand out towards my portfolio.

As I stand to hand it to him he moves around the table. "It would be better to lay them out over here."

We walk over to a large tall table to the left of his desk with a light over it. He switches the light on, and I put my portfolio case on the table.

As I unzip the case Mr. Harris adds, "Now I've only seen these on my computer screen, and am thinking the photos don't do them justice." As I slid the contents out, I can see his eyes light up. "I was right, wow. Sorry, I still get excited seeing the designs on paper. I'm not a big fan of everything on a computer."

I step back and let Mr. Harris look through my pictures. Just to give you an idea of what he was looking at, inside mainly on A3 paper are sketches, pictures, notes, and technical diagrams of different structures. I have also added some of the computer-aided designs or CAD drawings. The plans and drawings vary from large skyscraper-type buildings to bridges, water features, even a public toilet. Each project had the process of thought, from my original ideas to the final artist impression, and architectural drawing that was done on CAD.

"Right James, take a seat. As I thought, you have a great eye for detail, a natural ability to make anything look modern but simplistic. Now down the brass tacks. This is not a job interview. We have already decided to offer you the job." I let out an audible gasp. He pauses for a while. "I'm sorry, this is a lot to take in, but the offer is here." He points to a rather thick envelope. "So you can take it home and read it properly." He takes a drink of water from a bottle.

"What we are offering is a special kind of scholarship. You will be taken on as a trainee, apprentice, whatever you want to call this. So will be paid as you to go through University. Unfortunately the only University we will send you to is Cambridge, there is no other University that comes close to the degree Cambridge offers. To start you will be paid a living salary of £15,000 for your first year, £20,000 for the second, and then an extra £5000 a year for your last two years. Each year you will be assessed, and as long as you get the right grades after each year you will progress, from what I've seen of you I don't see you having any problems. In fact, we are confident that you will finish top of your class. We will pay for each year's tuition as well as rent for a small apartment. Once you have graduated you will be taken on at a starting salary of around £60,000. Now, any questions?"

I was a little dumb-struck. This is so far from what I was thinking. "Umm yes, when will you need a definite answer by, and would it be possible for me to bring my girlfriend with me?" The last bit just flowed out.

Mr. Harris points downstairs, "Sam?"

"No Mr...Edward. Sam is my best friend." I take a breath then I clarify. "My girlfriend is called Isabel. She has a dream of going to Cambridge, and she has been offered a place. The problem is, due to financial reasons her parents are unable to afford this. So at this moment in time, she is not able to fulfill this dream. So if it is possible, and you are agreeable. Can she share my apartment, then it will make it possible for her to fulfill her dream."

"Oh I see, and she won't be a distraction for you?"

This wasn't something I had thought I would be discussing. I compose myself and take a breath. "Well, not as much as if she wasn't there. We are both very hard-working and focused people. Isabel has worked really hard to be offered a place at Cambridge. Also with your assessments, I'm sure you will soon see if she is having any effect. If anything though, I think she will have the opposite effect, and give me the incentive to do my best. Not as though I need an extra incentive. Especially if I fail, she goes home."

"I didn't think of it that way. I suppose in theory it will be fine. Just let me think about it, I will let you know when you give me your answer. What is she looking to study?"

"She wants to go into law."

His eyebrows raise, "law?" He laughs, "she might even be able to join our family. We are always on the lookout for talent."

We then exited his office, and he gave me the grand tour. "Most of our employees work from home or are on site. Twice a month we have meetings to check on progress, new projects, and address any problems. There's also a gym and canteen area where we often meet for informal meetings."

It took around forty-five minutes to have a good look around, and meet a couple of employees that are in the building.

As we walked back to where Sam was sat Mr. Harris shook my hand. "Well James, it was a pleasure to finally meet you, and I hope you hear from you soon."

"Thank you, Edward, you should hear from me by early next week with my answer, but if I'm being honest, my only concern is whether I can bring Isabel to Cambridge with me."

Sam was sat looking at her phone when I walked around the corner. "Ready to go Munchkin?"

"Yeah, Jay I'm starving."

"Come on then, where do you want to go?"

As soon as we were out of the door Sam turns to me, "well how did it go?"

"I'll tell you over lunch. I also need to ring Mum."

Sam grabs my hand and leads me to an Australian-themed pub that wasn't too far. We sit and order. I order a burger with chips, and Sam has a Crocodile steak. We both get a beer and sit there discussing the job offer that Edward Harris had put to me.

"Bloody hell J, that's incredible," Sam says with her usual energy.

"Yeah, and I'm hoping it will enable Isabel to go to Cambridge at the same time."

"Wow, that would be perfect. She will be so happy with that. You've had some month."

"If that's not the understatement of the century nothing is."

"You're not going to turn the job down if they say she can't go, are you?"

"No I don't think so, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to make them think that."

"Shit James, that might jeopardize your job."

"I don't think so Sam, I was the only candidate." Sam sits there open-mouthed.

I pulled my phone out and phoned my Mother while we wait for our food. My mum is sitting with Mrs. Richards in her kitchen.

"Hi Mum, can you ask Mrs. Richards for Mr. Richard's phone number?"

"Yes James, she's with me now." I hear her ask, "Heather can James have Harry's phone number?"

I can hear rustling, and then, "what's he want it for?"

"James, why do you need Harry's phone number?"

I quickly tell her what had happened, and what Edward Harris had offered me. I then go on to explain that I would like to give Harry all the details to see with our new circumstances it would be possible for Isabel to have her dream. My Mother is overwhelmed with emotion and is just gushing down the phone.

"Mum?"

"Sorry James, I am so proud of you. You've had some month."

Our food arrives, and I laugh. "Yeah, that's what Sam said. Can you text me the number? Sorry got to go, our food has arrived. "

"Ok James, I will do that. What time will you be home?"

"Not sure, I'll message you from the train."

"Ok, take care."

With that, I hang up and look at the incredible meal in front of me. As I dive in, unknown to me back in Georgeham my mother is relaying my story to Mrs. Richards. What they don't know is that Isabel is sat at the top of the stairs trying to listen in after she heard my name. The problem is that she can't hear the whole conversation. All she got is, James has been offered a job in Exeter, and they want him to study at Cambridge.

She hears her mum ask, "what she can tell Isabel?" It was the reply that she didn't expect. "Nothing."

She sits there, her mind is going a hundred miles an hour. Cambridge is my dream. Why has James taken my dream? Why is it a secret? He's going to leave me. All rational thought has gone and she is feeling betrayed. She has connected the dots and got a totally different picture to get to this conclusion. Now she feels like a bus has hit her. How could James do this to me? How could he betray me? Did the last week mean anything to him?

She gets up quietly and walks back to her room. Tears are cascading down her face, and she throws herself on her bed. Her face is buried into her pillow, and she is crying her beautiful heart out.

Sam and I finish our meals oblivious to the drama unfolding at home. I call Harry Richards as we sit there letting the food go down, and finishing off our pint. I explain to Mr. Richards exactly what was offered, and what costs would be covered, as well as what I could contribute. The way I figured is that we could live off my salary as well as any money Izzy could earn part-time. I also arranged a lift home from Barnstaple Train station. Mr. Richards is pleasantly surprised at the package and seems quite hopeful that this has made all the difference.

Sam and I walked around the city center for a while, before I had to catch the five o'clock train. It was always good to spend time with my friend. She walked me back to the train station where she gave me the traditional hug, and kiss before starting to cry. We always find it hard to leave each other. Over seventeen years in each other's pockets will do this to you.

As I'm sitting on the train my phone rings, it's Edward Harris. "Hello Edward, I didn't think I would hear from you so soon."

"Yes James, me neither. I checked with Andrew and he has no problem with you taking Isabel with you. He had the same idea as me about seeing if she would pursue corporate law."