Lessons of Darkness

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

So hoping that me and Astaroth are still kind of sort of friendly and that the demon will help me to get where I want to go instead of trying to tempt me to the dark, I say my incantation to summon it. And right on schedule out pops a carbon copy of Charlotte.

"Hey man, how's it going? Did my temptations get to you in the end or is this about something else?" Astaroth disguised as Charlotte asks me.

"I need safe passage through your world," I tell it.

"You sure? Because there's only a certain amount of safety I can guarantee. You'll burn up if you stay too long. Oh and sorry if the form offends you, it's just my real one isn't super aesthetically pleasing. I'm kind of like a teenage girl in that way, insecure about my looks. So it was either between this or Lilith and uh..."

He stops knowing that he probably shouldn't have said that. "Where is Lilith?" I ask.

"Oh uh her... Yeah. The less said about that the better."

"Not from my perspective," I reply back succinctly.

"You really want to save her don't you?" It asks sadly.

"Yes." I say.

"Well my advice would be don't. If you don't want to heed my advice, which you really should in this case dude, well uh... this nasty demon you really don't want to mess with by the name Abaddon has her."

"I know of the demon."

"If you did, if you really did then we wouldn't be having this conversation. You would be a circumference away because it's coming for you next. An affront to the nature of everything is what it refers to you as and has even worse things to say about you and Lilith's relationship. Right now it has her in its version of reprogramming. More like a destruction of her internal mind. Think the demonic equivalent of a lobotomy."

"That's horrible! How do I stop it?"

"Well, I don't know but you could always try sacrificing yourself in some vain attempt to stop the inevitable. Face it dude, she's gone and there's nothing you can do to bring her back."

"I want to try."

Sighing, Astaroth shrugs its shoulders and says "Fine, don't say I didn't warn you. And who knows, you've beat the odds so far. Maybe you'll pull off a miracle. I sincerely doubt it but I wouldn't mind if you did, one less dick in a place full of them." It motions for me to follow and I go to join it, crossing a precipice that no human ever should.

I remember that the original goal was to learn from these beings, not fight them. Guess there was a change of plan along the way because it's a matter of life or death with this particular demon. I mean I always had to best my opponent but it was never the fight to the finish that this one is shaping up to be. No, usually it would be a matter of finding out what made the demon flee and rubbing its face in it. This encounter on the other hand will only be solved by the total annihilation of one of the parties involved.

I take my final steps towards a most momentous occasion. Find myself a step away from the thin veneer that separates our two worlds. Come on now, don't need to be afraid. One more step and it'll all be done. This is the direction I'm heading toward anyway right? Why not get the show on the road and go where fate commands me?

So this is the underworld. Not too far from the inky blackness some of the demons have already brought into my home, just a bit heavier though. Let's hope those previous encounters have built up my immunity towards it, because I'm going to need all the time I get. Yet already I feel myself start to fade into the surroundings.

So one step in front of the other I follow in Astaroth's wake. His usually cavalier demeanor has grown almost solemn with the knowledge of our destination.

"I must warn you that most of the demons you've faced so far have a playful side. We like to have some fun with our food. Abaddon, not so much. You'll never find it at bingo night. There's no playing around with it, it'll be coming for you with intentions of total annihilation right off the bat. If you give it a chance then it's bye bye for Mr. Black. So take the rest of your risks calculatedly," Astaroth tries to impress upon me.

"Understood, thanks for the warning," I say truthfully.

We keep walking, don't know exactly what on. I'm unsure if Astaroth is a Virgil grade quality guide but I'm still on my feet. Haven't fallen into any unending abysses as of yet. I seem to be going somewhere that's significant. My eyes aren't trained to differentiate the many shades of black that surround me, I just have to put my faith in this demon guiding me.

And then we get to a clearing, one in which a poisonous shade of purple becomes the prominent color instead of all the many flavors of black that must only look different to the demonic eye. Purple is a better alternative, I can at the very least see with purple. Though I must say I don't quite like what I'm seeing.

My arm, it has flecks of gray growing on it. I try shaking them off but to no avail. They've got a hold of my body and are not letting go in such a place as this. No, these are here to stay, grow, fester and corrupt me until my physical body simply crumbles away, leaving what's inside of me to spend all eternity in a place like this.

So I got to keep moving. I pick up my pace to see if Astaroth will follow suit. It does and we are marching full steam ahead to a place that hope doesn't like to hang out at very much. However I have a purpose within me that bats away any fear that would so sensibly beg of me to turn back while I still can. I must prevent Abaddon from entering the material world and save my friend/lover/ally/demon-confidante/whatever-you-want-to-call-her from its clutches.

We get to something akin to a stone castle, whose details I dare not focus on in favor of completing my mission in time. Needless to say it does not inspire any encouragement. I turn to Astaroth.

"Any tips?" I ask my guide.

"Don't go in there," it advices in as serious a manner as it can muster.

"Anything else?" I ask, making it very clear that I've made up my mind for what I'm about to do, no matter how ill-advised it might seem.

Astaroth sighs another one of its sighs that seem more common as of late. "Destruction is a powerful force. So powerful that even the source of it does not always have the best handle on it. I don't really know though, you're going to mess with some shit that I don't dare touch. I'm just the demon who's going to be outside waiting in case you somehow manage to elude your inevitable doom."

"All right. I hope to make it back here soon. I pray that hope comes true."

"Like I've already told you, I'm a demon so praying isn't really in my wheelhouse. Nevertheless I'll be glad if I see you if you return. But don't think I'm counting on it."

I give Astaroth a final parting nod as I make my way into the domain of Abaddon. The floor appears to have been destroyed and has not quite but kind of has been reformed in a variety of manners. I do not know an earthly corollary to compare this to, only that the pure essence of destruction dwells in this place and the floors definitely reflect that fact. I navigate the fractured floor with as close to the right combination of swiftness and caution as I can muster. Time is of great importance but so is me being in fighting shape for Abaddon, and a nasty trip is not going to help me any in that regard.

And this looks like the center, the belly of the beast so to speak. Right behind this corner I expect to find Abaddon manhandling Lilith in a manner that will make my blood boil. But I've got to be calm, I fully believe that Abaddon could beat me in a being rash contest. The clarity that calm provides is my only real edge here. Not much of an edge but it's the only one I've got and I don't think I'm going to be able to trade up anytime soon.

So getting my bearings I go to turn a corner to find, just as I expected, Abaddon, a huge winged demon of a beast, with claws that could probably slice and dice me into fine seasoning. Think about that creepy item you once saw in that oriental gift shop come to life, only much more terrifying in the flesh than your imagination would ever allow you to conjure up, lest the nightmares that followed plagued you for the rest of your life and then some. The kind of demon that will swallow your soul with a bon appetit and then top it off with some fava beans and a nice chianti. A ferociousness that no totem could ever hope to represent is in front of me doing harm to someone I care deeply for.

My shock in the face of this beast is enough to disguise from me for a moment that Lilith is there too, just sitting. Not quite against her will but in a way that seems as if she has no will left within her at all. Something's been taken from her, she's been reached inside of her and something internal has been adjusted quite a bit. Whatever would have normally let her leave such a place has been lost for the time being.

"You must know of a way to create a portal. You've seen that book he has, it has the power that I seek. I know that you have some capability to come and go as you want to the earthly plain, but the book promises so much more. More realities to destroy besides that puny marble. Maybe even the land up above that has forsaken us for so long." Abaddon hollers, with me assuming that volume control is not one of its strengths.

Guess Astaroth was wrong in its assumption that Lilith is on her way to getting a demon lobotomy.

"Then I will erase the disgraceful parts of you and bring you back into the demon you were meant to be. That might seem unpleasant at first, but mark my words. It will be a better ending than anything that boy could have ever given you. In fact I'll make you rejoice once I annihilate him off every realm of existence."

... Or maybe not. Abaddon's just taking steps to ensure that it doesn't erase Lilith's knowledge of... I don't know exactly. I think that books ability might have been oversold to Abaddon a bit. I haven't found anything about opening up a portal to heaven, if I had I wouldn't have minded a visit. I'm sure Charlotte would've appreciated a vacation there.

Anyways whatever the case may be, Abaddon's gunning for the book I have in my hand. Maybe I could just give the book to the demon but Abaddon doesn't seem like the make a deal type of demon. I don't know, maybe if I give up the book then Abaddon will burn down earth on his way up toward heaven just for the hell of it? If I'm to die I'd at least like to die knowing that I kept Charlotte safe.

I look at my arm to see the gray flecks have behaved about as much as one would expect them to. Only in addition to them spreading, some of them have managed to turn black. A sign that does not grant me a sense of comfort that would be nice about now. But only a fool would expect a sense of ease in an atmosphere such as this. If we're counting silver linings then maybe this will help get the ol' adrenaline going a bit more.

I put the book down out of view so as not to tempt Abaddon and deep breath in, deep breath out, right foot takes a step followed by my left one. Maybe a little more stealth would be advisable when going up against a monster I have no hope in beating in a physical brawl? But even if I were to sneak up on it, what then? Do I conk him over the head with a frying pan? No, making my presence known to this entity is somehow the best plan that I have.

So my steps echo to the point where Abaddon can't help but take notice of me. It turns around from Lilith to face towards me, The Goliath to my David. Somehow I don't think a rock and a sling is going to gain me the happy ending I so desire. Me standing in front of Abaddon might almost have been a comedic sight if I didn't happen to be seeing it from the vantage point of the guy who's most likely going to get utterly annihilated.

The novelty of seeing a human in its presence seems to have stymied Abaddon for a second. I mean what's a tiger going to do if a rodent just up and wandered into its mouth? A predator has got no experience with a lemming like me, it'll take it a second to adjust to such a suicidal gesture.

But when it does adjust, the killer instincts will kick right in. Can't expect to get too many words from it, if any at all, before it strikes. Can't chat my way to victory this time around. The current plan is to evade whatever it throws at me and see if I can come up with a weak spot, that is assuming that I even have the dexterity to evade its attacks. Well, let's at the very least hope I can and so up on the balls of my feet I go.

That was fast. Too fast for me at any rate. Thank God its aiming isn't perfect or I would be toast right about. A blast of something, I don't know, locusts seems like the best guess, almost hits me. Too close for what little comfort I have left, and something tells me its aiming is about to get a lot better.

All hope is nada now. Well you can't stay the hero forever. Looks like I just bought my ticket to the end of my story. This doesn't really fulfill the arc I was hoping for but life isn't always the greatest author. Sometimes one's sacrifice is pointless and they die knowing that worse things will follow in the wake of their death. A pretty specific example that last one is, but only because it pertains pretty heavily to me right now.

So on the off chance I can indeed dodge such a blast despite all evidence to the contrary, I try to ready myself. See if I can't just force myself to secrete enough adrenaline that I can see things in slow motion. My feet are ready to jump at a moment's notice, as long as that moment is perceptible to the human eye.

The moment wasn't but luckily something else saved me from a death by locust blast. Something opened up in front of me, consuming what Abaddon threw at me. Where it will come out is not my place to say at this given time.

But now it is. A second portal opens up and out comes that locust blast, redirected at the thing that I most want to see take a face full of locusts. Abaddon is at the receiving end of this parry, which I can only assume was caused by Lilith still having a bit more will hidden away in her than either me or Abaddon thought. Maybe I didn't even need to come here at all, maybe Lilith can take care of the rest.

Oh wow, the locusts seem to be chewing on Abaddon. I guess these are a special breed of carnivorous locusts that I am very glad are nowhere near my face. They seem to be doing quite a number on the demon if its grunts are anything to go by. Eventually Abaddon avails and jumps up and stomps on the ground, causing a great shake in the ground that momentarily knocks out my vision. When I get it back I see a giant hole in the ground that Abaddon must have jumped through, with dead locusts surrounding the aperture.

I run over to Lilith to check on how she's doing. Not sure exactly how to read a demon's vitals but I sense something stirring in her.

"Hey Lilith, are you alright?" I ask concernedly.

"It got something in me, don't know what it was exactly or if it'll ever heal up but I can sit here and talk to you for the time being, maybe even scamper away if the situation calls for it," she replies.

"All right, let's get out of here. Without you or me it can't very well pry its way into my world now can it?"

"Do you think I'm the only one it has? No, there are others in different chambers who are capable of creating an entryway to your world, they'd just take a bit more time to do it than I would. Besides, there's no escaping it for me. I can't live for long in the human world. It'll track me down eventually take what it wants from me and then destroy my mind to its liking. It's better to just leave me here and save yourself."

"Then I'm no better off than you. Astaroth has told me I'm on Abaddon's shit list, even more so now probably. And I think that demon might just be able to hold one hell of a grudge. Either way it's coming for me eventually, I'd rather it be here where I can at least contain the damage."

"Well I'm better off in one respect," she says as she points to my skin. The rot has gotten worse, much worse. I can only imagine what it looks like on my face. At the very least Lilith doesn't seem to mind looking at me in such a state, at least from an aesthetical point of view. Though I suppose she never liked me for my looks. They were most likely a liability for her anyway, and who knows, she might think I actually look better like this.

"Yeah, that's not ideal," I admit while considering my probable impending demise. "But it is what it is and the situation calls for me to ignore it and go after Abaddon. Are you in?"

"I wish I could," she says. "But I've used up the last of my energy in regards to what you want from me, or had most of it taken from be by Abaddon. Plus I have healing to worry about. I'm not going to be able to go after such a beast in this state. If you could wait a bit then I might be back to fighting shape."

"I don't think I have a bit. Also you've wounded it, best to try and take it down now before it has a chance to lick its wounds."

"Well you know you have that same power that I just used, right? You've summoned me and the rest of the demons, you can very well play around with the temporal field as well as I can."

"But I don't know the incantation."

"Well here's hoping you figure it out," she says as she falls and closes her eyes. Don't think this is how demons die, most likely regenerate. Well she's off the chess board at least, time for the two kings left to go at it.

I've translated enough, I know some of the incantations by heart. Maybe I could mix some of them to create the type of portal I want to create. Combine a few sentences here and there. I might even test it up here before I go down for round two.

But then something hits me. I knew something was amiss about the incantation to summon Abaddon. Much more different than the words to summon the rest of the other demons. Just as I suspected, what my parents wrote down was not a demon summoning spell after all.

And with that I run to where I left the book and hold it in my grasp once more. I run to the opening that Abaddon created with its stomp and jump in without a deep breath needed to calm myself down before the drop. Falling doesn't seem to pack quite as much a punch as it does on my home turf. It's more like a weightless drop rather than the rapid plunge that is found in my reality.

The inky blackness that I was so happy to be rid of is within my sights once more. Ah well, no use in dreading it, just another necessary evil in a realm full of them. I allow the darkness to envelop my body once more as I try to see through it to find where Abaddon awaits.

I land in another quasi sort of clearing, still surrounded by the dark but there is a pocket that looks pretty clear. And that is where I find Abaddon, sulking from his quasi defeat up above. Well, here's hoping that it's in the mood to listen to a few words by me before it commences with the smiting. Probably not but here goes nothing. I've gotten this far when the rules of probability would've demanded my defeat.

"Hello," I say to Abaddon who immediately turns around. Yeah it is not in a good mood. "I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. If you would like to wait a bit before destroying me then I think I can make it up to you," I add pleadingly.

Angered but apparently willing to entertain my request, Abaddon stares at me with anger in its eyes, waiting for the moment I disappoint it enough that it will allow itself to do what it does best to me. So let me satisfy its expectations. I open the book to the pages on Abaddon and find the incantation that my parents left for me.

You know there's a chance I'm wrong about this assumption, I could very well be giving it unrestricted access to Earth. That fox in the henhouse idiom would sure come in handy if that's the case. Well, I got no other plans. Let's hope the fate of the world doesn't mind resting itself in the hands of my assumptions.