Love is Where One Finds It Pt. 02 Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dad truly understands my driving factor to start or buy a business in Nashville is to share a few quality years of adult life with mom Onna May. I want to thank her for all the love she gave me for nearly fifteen years.

So what better way to do it than moving close by and spending the next few years together, the same as when I was four? I am not dating anyone special, so the timing is perfect for a change of scenery.

Onna May was my mom for the most important years of my life, and I will always love her as my true mother. My mind drifts back to meeting her for the first time and instantly loving Onna May. As I grew older, mom Onna May shared her life story with me.

REFLECTIONS ON ONNA MAY JONES LIFE: ROSE'S POV

Onna May was born in Middle Tennessee, a descendant of slave sharecroppers. They were supposedly given 40 acres and a mule to stay on the plantation. The original 40 acres and a mule resulted from Union Army Special Field Order 15, which was short-lived and did not automatically include a mule. There were several variations on the UASFO-15, which also had different types of sharecropping deals.

Some savvy landowners gave their slaves semi-independence after the Civil War. Non-trouble-making slaves such as Onna May's ancestors were reportedly given 40 acres of land, a mule, and freedom. But they had to sign a multiyear sharecropping contract to make the deeded land transfer legal.

The first three generations of Onna May's freed ancestral family worked the land they now legally owned. Their former masters provided seed and other perishable farming supplies, while Onna May's predecessors did the manual labor. At harvest time, the freed slaves gave a mutually agreed-upon portion of the crops to their former masters, hence the term sharecroppers.

Onna May, a descendant of this environment, is currently the deeded sole heiress of nearly 128 acres of wooded pasture farmland in Nunnelly, TN. The land has not been worked or farmed by the past three generations, Onna May, her parents, and grandparents, since the contracted sharecropping period had expired. So the 128 acres are currently undeveloped wooded/brush/pasture land.

Onna May's parents worked hard at menial jobs as a maid and caretaker for a fairly rich Middle Tennessee family. Still, they were able to send her to college at Tennessee State University (TSU) close by in Nashville. TSU is a Historically Black College and University (HBCU) founded in 1912. TSU also has a well-respected teaching program for all primary and secondary education levels. Onna May majored in the teaching program graduating with a BS Degree (Honors) in Education.

While attending TSU, Onna May met her future husband at an HBCU inter-university social mixer. He and Onna May began dating soon afterward and married following graduation. They moved to Washington, DC, when she was 25 after her husband was recruited as a Project Director by the Department of Agriculture.

Onna May unexpectedly became a widow twelve years later at 37 and decided to return to her roots in Nunnelly just outside of Nashville. She had four months remaining on her teaching contract for the spring semester and planned to move back to Nunnelly in June at the end of the academic year.

Onna May taught at a private school that offered a Montessori-style teaching experience. Montessori was first introduced in 1907 and became quite popular in many US advanced primary education programs by 1912. One of her student's parents was friends with my family, so they knew about my mom's untimely death.

The student's mom also knows my dad often travels for business and is frantically searching for a live-in governess-type person to take care of me. As his four-year-old daughter, I couldn't travel with him. Learning that Onna May is not renewing her teaching contract, the friend encourages my dad to talk with Onna May, and the rest is history.

Onna May will live in our majestic Martel family home for the next 14 years, located in Alexandria, VA. I was formally educated at Wellesley College (Seven Sisters College), enrolling as a Fresher at seventeen. My dad leased an apartment in Wellesley for Onna May, where she lived for a year, helping me transition from her homeschooling to college life.

After finishing my Fresher year, Onna May returns with me to our Alexandria, VA home for a month. She packs her belongings and returns to Nunnelly and her Middle Tennessee roots.

NASHVILLE - BACK TO JAIM'S POV

It's early Friday evening with Rollin and Rose now relaxing at Aim's and my place. We are glum, realizing that purchasing the eastside restaurant will be a huge mistake. As Rose initially projects, there are just too many negatives for us to overcome and make the business profitable in two years.

I walk into the living room with a nice bottle of Murray River Cabernet. Smiling, "Let's enjoy a glass of wine, see where we are in our lives, and how we can move forward in business together."

Rollin quickly speaks, "I am at the start of a two-year agreement helping form the local High Schools Girls' JV Basketball team. A recent drug-related scandal decimated the varsity girls' program, so the academic community wants to start over from scratch at the JV level. I've committed two years to developing the JV girls' basketball program, which I am determined to honor.

"I wanted a fresh start for the JV Girls, so I asked the Public Library for help talking with our young girls about Health and Wellness. I strongly felt a female should talk with young girls on this subject.

"I think it's great that the Head Librarian selected Aim for the presentation since the young JV girls were very much into her talk. Several girls have assured me that Aim's in-depth understanding of good health and wellness will help the team stay in peak condition during our long fall/winter playing season.

"I am new to the area, living here since mid-January, so you three ladies are my first nonjob-related friends, and I am happy knowing you. Let's take time and diligently investigate working together in a business."

Turning to Aim, Rollin asks, "Will you join me at the High School as Assistant Coach for the JV girls' basketball team?"

Aim's eyes glaze over as she is ready to fire back, but Rollins begs, "Please hear me out, Aim? I am a guy, so what happens when the team travels overnight to away games or a weekend tournament? The girls like and respect you.

"You know basketball, and many of these girls are only teenagers. You can help them develop into well-rounded young ladies. I want to place the JV Team's primary focus on Excellence Tops Winning, so academics will play a major role in our coaching philosophy."

Rollin's final plea, "Please think about my asking for your help. You impressed these young girls on Tuesday as a Health and Wellness Educator, so they will listen to your advice and instructions. Half the battle is won with your having earned their trust, and I will support you 100%."

There is absolute silence in the living room broken by Rollin's sigh, "Jaim, I need a fresh glass of wine after that speech!"

The four of us sip our wines while quietly digesting Rollin's surprising offer/request to Aim.

Eyeing Rose, I am now thinking outside the box. Commenting on our working together, "Buying the restaurant was your idea Rose, which you now see as a non-starter. Will you consider looking at another local business, possibly staying in Nashville longer than two years?"

Rose answers, "Honestly, Jaim, I realize my approach to this restaurant venture was short-sighted. Before speaking with my dad and you, I should have delved deeper into their business history and financials to gauge why the restaurant is on the block. That's history, and we must move forward in a different direction or path to start a business together.

"I've visited Nunnelly on several occasions, but this recent trip is my first time staying in metro Nashville. So far, I am quite impressed with the city and my three new friends, so I can see myself living here permanently. My dad still enjoys our huge home in Alexandria, VA but also likes the quaintness of Nashville. I am sure he will regularly visit me here if I become a resident.

Rose continues, "I agree wholeheartedly with Rollin's statement that the four of us have similar views and outlooks on life. We all seemed to quickly mesh once Aim overcame her nervousness about being around Rollin. I want to continue with plans to work together, focusing our efforts on identifying one or more solid business opportunity(s).

"I have another excellent possibility in mind, but this time I will do the proper groundwork, and then we will discuss moving forward."

Rose gives Aim a look, "I think Aim should accept Rollin's offer as the assistant coach of the JV girls' basketball team. She will have the unique opportunity of shaping young girls' lives, and I feel Aim is perfect for the task.

"The way I see it, Rollin and you can move full speed ahead getting the girls academically, emotionally, and physically ready for the 2022/23 basketball season. Meanwhile, Jaim and I will sort out the business situation with proper due diligence.

Rose finishes, "I need to return home and regroup with my dad. I'd like Jaim to visit our home in Alexandria, VA, sometime this month so Dad can meet one of my three new Nashville business partners. We have moved from the talking phase of working together to planning, decision-making, and commitments.

"So I will share the detailed information on my special mom in the general Nashville area. Her name is Onna May Jones, and she raised me from four years old until after my first year at Wellesley College." Rose then tells us all the details of their fifteen-year relationship.

"Before returning home, I will visit mom Onna May in Nunnelly, staying one or two days. I'll tell her about meeting you three and our long-range plans for developing a successful business in Nashville. Following my Nunnelly visit, I will return home and investigate the specific business possibility I mentioned earlier," sighs Rose.

I speak up, "Everyone has a project but me, and it ain't gonna happen. Rose is correct about Rollin and Aim helping him coach the JV girls' team. Aim and I have been as one from the beginning, sharing the same egg at conception.

"Being Assistant Coach for the JV Girls team is made for you, Aim. Since most sports practices and games are in the evening, you can keep your Public Library Consultant position and be the assistant basketball coach.

"I do not have any hot real estate leads at the moment, so I am happy to spend the next two weeks getting to know Rose better. I will visit mom Onna May with her, and then we will meet up later in Alexandria, VA. My tentative travel schedule allows Rose to have time to discuss the possible new business opportunities with her dad before I arrive. If her dad is yea, Rose and I can begin performing due diligence during my visit."

Rose excitedly grabs me in a big hug, "Your idea is perfect, Jaim; we will spend the next two weeks brainstorming, with you meeting mom Onna May and my dad. We can conjure up other potential business ventures during this time together, possibly finalizing a long-range business plan."

All eyes are on Aim as she squirms on the sofa. "This is something I need to do for my self-worth, but it is scary to think about."

Aim closes her eyes tightly, then smiles beautifully, "I will do it, knowing the three of you are in my corner."

Rollin adds, "I want these young girls to live productive lives. That's the reason our team's theme is 'Excellence Tops Winning.' I will petition the principal to hold the team's first two weeks of spring drill classes at the Public Library. This is your stomping ground Aim, so you can be relaxed and rule on your home court. I'm sure you'll relish our working together and coaching the JV girls."

***

Rose and I are at mom Onna May's home, which seems a bit isolated in the Nunnelly, TN, area. The place is small but nicely done, with several photos on the living room walls. I quickly note that they show Rose and her mom Onna May interacting through all stages of Rose's life.

I am amazed when we arrive at mom Onna May's home as Rose runs to her, screaming with joy like she hasn't seen her mom in years. Rose is 5'11", like me, and towers over her petite mom Onna May who looks about 5'2". Even more impressive is Rose plopping right into her mom's lap, with me thinking she will crush poor little mom Onna May. For the first time, I realize the true depth of the love they share.

I hear all of mom Onna May's bad girl stories about Rose, but her eyes are windows into how deeply she loves her. Mom Onna May and her husband did not have children, so a very tall Rose is still her baby girl. I can easily understand why Rose wants to live in Nashville near her mom Onna May who is relatively young and healthy. The two share fifteen years of their lives without separation until Rose's second year of college.

We have a joyful two-day visit with mom Onna May, a delightfully spry, nearly sixty-year-old widow. She returned to the Middle, TN, area in Rose's sophomore year at Wellesley and has lived in rural Nunnelly for the past seven years.

After our exciting visit with mom Onna May, Rose drops me off at home and continues to the airport. I'm taking care of a few personal items over the next several days, then catching up with Rose next weekend in Alexandria, VA.

I keep thinking about how rural the area is where mom Onna May lives. Nunnelly, TN, is in Hickman County, an hour's drive southwest of Nashville, with a population of nearly 3500.

It's a two-hour drive south to reach the Alabama State Line, so Nunnelly is fairly isolated. The landscape is mostly rural undeveloped timber, brush, or pasture land. Personally, I think mom Onna May should live closer to Nashville. However, I also remember that she owns 128 acres of deeded family land in Nunnelly.

JAIM'S CONTEMPLATION

Rose dropped me at home an hour ago, and I already miss her. I will see her again in a week, but Rose has swiftly become special during our short time together.

Another item constantly gnawing at me is mom Onna May, who lives over an hour away from metro Nashville. She has 128 acres of undeveloped land in the Nunnelly area, which she does not intend to use. Also, to my knowledge, she has no nuclear family to inherit or develop the land.

I am excellent at setting up real estate deals, but it isn't my calling or dream job. I quickly phone a development specialist contact, offering him a potentially lucrative land swap deal. I tell him I have the inside track on 120+ acres of undeveloped land in Nunnelly and am willing to swap it for 40 to 45 acres of prime land outside Nashville's western suburbs.

A few days later, my contact excitedly phones me. I ask, "Before we move forward on this deal, can the Nashville land be split into a 35 to 40-acre commercial tract? We will also need a smaller 5-acre residential parcel closer to the city." I receive a positive reply, so now comes the tricky part. I need to get mom Onna May's agreement on the land swap deal. She must be willing to move to Nashville's western suburbs.

Rose and I talk nightly, as we are now best friends. So tonight, I share my worries about mom Onna May living virtually in seclusion with Rose. I let her know I have a potential solution and will discuss it with Rose and her mom Onna May tomorrow morning in detail. I'm working on a few final items, so the three of us need to hold a Zoom meeting from mom Onna May's place in Nunnelly. If she accepts my proposal, you and I will iron out the specifics during my ten-day visit to Alexandria.

I set everything up with mom Onna May, driving to her home early morning since she wants to make breakfast for me. After eating, we have a Zoom meeting with Rose. Rose and mom Onna May become very excited about my land swap idea and plan. I explain that if mom Onna May gives the okay today, my contact thinks we can close this deal in 30 to 45 days.

We discuss various topics, such as mom Onna May's interim housing while building her a new place on the smaller property closer to metro Nashville. I have several ideas for the large parcel, but I must first query Rose.

Mom Onna May has one pointed question. Could multiple homes be built on the small parcel? I explain this is five acres of nicely wooded private land near an exclusive development, so we can easily fit three beautiful homes at 1.5 acres each.

Now that my plan for mom Onna May is in motion, I will spend a few days with Aim to make sure she is okay with me visiting Alexandria, VA, for 10 days or longer. I have never left her out of my life for any reason, and I certainly will not start now! Aim has blossomed since starting to assist Rollin with the JV girls' basketball team spring drills.

***

Aim and I relax on the sofa while she shyly tells me how much she enjoys helping Rollin coach the JV girls. The girls love her being named their assistant coach, promising to work just as hard on their studies as playing basketball.

Since it is now APR 2022, it is spring drills time. Aim's running with the players five miles every school day, which the team feels is impressive for a coach. Rollin also receives approval to hold all of the team's early spring classes at the library until the end of spring drills.

The Head Librarian, Ms. McAllister, is excited about Rollin and Aim's education focus for the players and helps them organize a study area for the fifteen girls. Ms. McAllister tells the high school's principal that this is a first-in-a-lifetime experience for her. Rollin and Aim are allowed full use of library assets and facilities for this team's spectacular education journey.

I have never seen my twin so expressive, so I mentally thank Jesus for sending Rose and Rollin into our lives. We continue talking with a smile endlessly adorning Aim's face as she says, "Let's enjoy a glass of wine while I update you on some other new stuff."

I pour us two cabernets and sit again, Aim's smile seemingly a mile wide. I am so happy to be talking with Aim that I forgot to phone Rose to confirm my arrival time at National Airport.

Rose rings me, and I whisper, "Aim and I are talking about her joy working with the JV girls and Rollin. I will ring back in an hour and update you on all her juicy news."

Aim nervously, "Rollin asked me out to dinner this Friday night, and I am so scared because I have never been on a real date before."

I ask, "Where are you guys going for dinner?"

Aim smiles delightfully, "Rollin wants this night to be special because he has not been out for a nice dinner in a long time, so we're dining at Ruth's Chris Steak House. He wants me to dress elegantly, saying this is a date, so we will not talk about work or coaching. We will relax and have fun together, getting to know each other better."

I jump up and down, screaming, "Oh my gosh, sis, I am so glad I came home before flying out east! We will go shopping tomorrow and buy you a completely new outfit for you to wear on Friday night. I'll wait until Friday morning to leave for DC to help you with everything. All you need to do is dress for dinner, do makeup, and style your hair before Rollin arrives."

Aim giggles, "I am so excited to know you will help me choose a gorgeous outfit. Janis, a nice young lady at the library, will style my hair and make me up on Friday after work." She playfully grabs me, happily dancing us around the room.

We finally crash for the night, and I phone Rose, bursting to tell her about Aim's dinner date. I go on and on with all the little details for nearly thirty minutes.