Mike and Sarah Pt. 01: A New Beginning

Story Info
Recovering souls are drawn together when it's least expected.
18k words
4.79
10.4k
22
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is the first in a 2 part sequel of sorts to my first story - 'The Final Goodbye'. It's fine as a standalone but if you want to know more about the protagonist I would read that too. I have a few more stories following the protagonist to come.

***

I woke up early for a Sunday, Sarah was spooned to me tightly sleeping peacefully content. I marvelled at the pale skin of her exposed shoulder I cast my mind back over the 10 days since we had met, wondering how all of our seemingly innocent interactions had led to my bed.

Our first meeting was one of those innocuous interactions in which your brain doesn't even stop to consider the potential importance. Wednesday nights were what my pub friends jokingly called young regulars night. There were maybe 6-7 of us, all roughly the same age and friends simply because we all frequented the same pub. We all went 2-3 times a week, but Wednesdays were the nights you'd find all of us together sitting at a table in the beer garden catching up on our weeks. We barely spoke outside of regular pub night and rarely did anything together away from the pub, though we were all active in the pub social calendar. Some did quiz nights, I was the pub cricket captain, and others just came along to everything without really getting involved.

I had been running late from work and when I got to the pub our group was all together and it was clear I missed a round or 2. Amidst the jeers over my lateness and demands that I buy the next round as a consequence, I had completely missed the newcomer to our group. When I finally settled down with a drink and tried to catch up on the conversation I noticed a pretty brunette girl whispering into Mandy's ear. It was apparently about me because as the brunette looked up she caught my eye and blushed. Mandy ever the no-nonsense social butterfly of our group introduced us.

"Mike this is Sarah, she's just moved back to the neighbourhood."

I was sitting just too far away to reach over and shake her hand so I simply nodded before allowing the table conversation to resume. As I got into the rhythm of the night I was barely aware of Sarah's presence except noting that she seemed to be rather quiet. I later learned this had more to do with being the new girl and not knowing where she fit into the dynamics of the group, yet whenever I looked in her direction she seemed to be studying me. Slowly the night wound down and people began to leave, living the closest to the pub, I quite frequently was the last of the group to leave. I quite enjoyed the time alone for a quiet contemplative drink. It was down to Mandy, her boyfriend Adam and Sarah.

As Adam announced it was time for him to leave, I noticed Sarah and Mandy having a hushed conversation with Sarah subtly shaking her head. About 10 seconds later Mandy stood and wished me a good night and suddenly I was alone with Sarah. Caught off guard by being left alone with a stranger I was suddenly nervous. At a loss for what to do, I offered her another drink which she accepted quietly. Upon my return from the bar I found her rolling a cigarette, I hadn't noticed her smoking through the evening. Thankfully my cigarettes and lighter were still on the table and not forgetting my manners I offered her a light. We sat in silence for about a minute before she decided to break the ice.

"So Mike, what brought you to Oxford?" She asked before continuing, "You're clearly English but there's something about your accent I can't quite place."

"I'm actually from Oxford, sort of," I began. "I was born here, and my dad's family is from here, but my dad has spent the last 22 years working for the Botswana government so I grew up there. That's probably what you can't place."

She showed a great deal of interest in my background, asking me all sorts of questions about Botswana and what it was like. I had to explain for the most part it was like growing up anywhere. Finally, I diverted the conversation back to her.

"Enough about me, what about you? I've never seen you before and there aren't a lot of people who come here that aren't local".

"I've just moved back, my mum lives down the road. I've moved back in with her while I sort out the next steps in my life. Mandy and I went to school together and she invited me out since I don't know that many people around here anymore."

"So where were you before?" I asked trying to get more information.

"I went to University in Manchester, I stayed on there for 2 years after I graduated, but it didn't end well so I came home," she stated in a tone of voice that made it clear that she didn't want to talk more about it.

Caught off guard by the sudden awkwardness I checked the time and realised it was getting late.

"Sarah, I've got to go it's getting late and I've got an early start tomorrow. Do you need me to walk you home?"

"It's okay it's only down the road. It was nice meeting you, Mike."

"And you, maybe I'll see you again next week."

"Maybe," she replied coyly.

I struggled to get to sleep that night curious about the woman who seemed to go out of her way to get to know me. I was still gun-shy after my farewell with Helen 7 months earlier.

The next morning I was working my way through a complicated report my boss wanted me to break down in a presentation when my phone buzzed with a text from Mandy.

Mandy: What did you and Sarah talk about last night?

Me: Nothing much, we just spoke about our backgrounds a bit.

Mandy: I don't believe you, she's been texting me all morning with questions about you.

Me: I'm serious, why would she want to know more about me? Beyond growing up in Botswana we didn't talk about much.

Mandy: You're an idiot.

Me: What did you tell her?

Mandy: That you're an idiot, and if she wants to know more about you then she can find out from you.

I decided not to reply, and get back to work. Over lunch, I briefly thought about what Mandy had said, of course, I could think of reasons why Sarah would ask her about me, they just didn't seem plausible based on our conversation the night before. So I pushed it out of my head and focused on work for the rest of the week. By Saturday I had completely forgotten about it when I went for my usual boys' Saturday at the pub. Most Saturdays if there was sports on we'd congregate to watch whatever it was while discussing whatever important issue came up - or to describe it more accurately we'd be talking bollocks.

By the time Wednesday came around again I had completely forgotten about Sarah. I wasn't as late as the week before but still the last to arrive, after collecting my pint and locating our table the only available seat was next to Sarah. After a few brief greetings conversation at the table continued like I had been there the whole time. As I got settled I noticed that Sarah had shifted a seat to be slightly closer to me. I also noticed that she was a bit more involved in the conversation this week. Her apparent shyness from the week before hadn't disappeared entirely but she was certainly more forthcoming.

Interestingly after positioning herself to sit closer to me, she didn't pay me any particular attention beyond when the conversation required her to. Once again the night dwindled as people said their goodbyes and once again Sarah and I were the last 2 remaining, this time there was no private conference between her and Mandy. In a repeat of last week, I offered her one more drink from the bar. On my return instead of sitting next to her, she frowned slightly but didn't comment, and went to roll a cigarette.

While she busied herself with that basic task I took the time to appreciate her appearance in a way I hadn't the week before. Her brunette hair was shoulder length and seemed to frequently fall across her face which required her to brush it behind her ear frequently. Her eyes were bright and engaging in an intriguing shade of hazel, she had a cute little button nose and lips somewhere between full and cupid's bow. Definitely attractive and someone I'd ordinarily pursue.

Our conversation was more open than the week before and we discovered each other's interests and hobbies. She wasn't sporty but didn't mind watching it as part of a group. She was more creative and arty enjoying sketching and painting in her free time. Our music tastes were pretty different except for a joint secret love for cheesy pop music. She then set a trap for me.

"So Mike, do you dance?" She asked innocently.

"Rarely, only when under the influence of peer pressure and alcohol," I answered wondering where she was leading us.

"Okay, which song always gets you to dance? She continued.

If I wasn't 5 pints in I might have been more aware of where she was leading me.

"The Cha-Cha Slide is always a good group dance," I answered without thinking about the consequences.

10 Seconds later her phone was on the table with the song playing.

"Go on then," she challenged.

"Not a chance, and certainly not on a school night," I retorted.

"Are you afraid? Mike look around we're the only ones in the beer garden, we've had a few drinks, I'm peer and I'm pressuring you, hell I'll even do it with you" She responded.

I was caught, I very rarely backed down from a challenge and I didn't have a good excuse.

"Fine, but you're definitely doing it with me."

And so on a random night at a random pub in Oxford, I found myself doing the Cha-Cha slide with a girl who was effectively a stranger to me. I also noticed she was much shorter than me in a way I couldn't tell while she was sitting down, she was maybe 5 foot 4 to my 6 foot 1, but her petite figure made her seem smaller.

After the song was over she burst out laughing. Not the quiet giggle I had heard while she gossiped with the girls but a full laugh filled with joy. Eventually, she calmed down.

"I know you have work tomorrow but stay with me for another drink?" She asked with a very slight pleading note in her voice.

"Sure, you've already got me to dance tonight, I think I've earned the reward of a drink," I said agreeing to her request without much protest.

With a nod she headed to the bar while I sat back down, the last 5 minutes swirling around my head, wondering how she slipped past my guard so easily.

Upon her return, she placed my drink in front of me before staring at me thoughtfully for a few seconds. Eventually, she spoke, "Mandy is quite protective of you, you know. There's clearly more to you than you reveal. I tried asking her about you last week but she shut me down. I know she told you. I know you won't tell me tonight but I hope someday soon you'll open up like you did during the dance."

I must have stared at her for a full minute at a loss for words. Before I could respond she broke the silence with a joke.

"How do you confuse an archaeologist?" she asked.

"How?"

"You give them a used tampon and ask them which period it came from." She responded with a soft laugh. "I know it's a terrible joke but I didn't want you to dwell on what I said."

I nodded back in polite thanks. We spent the rest of the evening talking about meaningless topics until our drinks were finally finished and it was time to leave. We walked out of the pub together before going our separate ways. We had just finished our farewells when she impulsively reached out to hug me, and surprising myself I hugged her back.

"Thanks for tonight, I really enjoyed myself," she said softly.

"Anytime," I answered.

And with that, we ended up walking in different directions. Thankfully sleep took me quickly that night, if fact it was one of the best night's sleep I had in months and I don't think the booze had much to do with it.

It was a rather uneventful morning at work when at almost the same time as the week before my phone buzzed with a text from Mandy.

Mandy: The cha-cha slide really?

Me: What? She challenged me. She timed it well too, one less pint and it would never have happened.

Mandy: LOL. Keep your phone close by. You're welcome.

Me: Why?

She didn't respond but about 20 minutes later I realised why she said I'm welcome. My phone buzzed with a text from an unknown number - Sarah.

Sarah: Hey, Mike but I got your number from Mandy. I like talking to you.

Me: It's okay, I'll remind her that it's rude to give out a number without permission later, but I'll let her off the hook since it's you.

Sarah: So what are your plans this weekend?

Me: I'm watching Cricket with the boys on Saturday afternoon, but in the evening I'm planning on watching Lord of the Rings. About once a year I watch the trilogy over consecutive weekends.

Sarah: Oh, I love the Lord of the Rings.

Me: Well you can join me if you want just don't look at me funny when I know all the words.

Sarah: Oh no, you're one of those people who know all the trivia aren't you

Me: Guilty as charged.

Sarah: That's cute, okay then what time?

Me: How about 8? You can come round for 7 and I'll make us dinner.

Sarah: You cook? What will you make?

Me: Sometimes. Let me surprise you, just tell me if you have any allergies.

Sarah: No allergies. Are we watching the original or extended editions?

Me: Extended. I'm not a heathen.

Sa: Let me get back to you.

I tried to get my head back to work but I was now distracted by my Saturday plans. Was this just friends watching a movie together or was it a date?

About 30 minutes later I got another text from Sarah,

Sarah: I know this going to sound weird but if we stick to your schedule the film is going to finish after midnight, it might be easiest if I spend the night...

I must have looked at that message for 10 minutes even more confused. We'd done nothing particularly flirty and now she's asking to spend the night. I decided to throw caution to the wind and agree.

Me: That shouldn't be a problem, you can have my bed, I'll sleep on the sofa bed or something.

Sarah: We'll see. I've got to go see you on Saturday.

I spent the rest of the day fully engrossed in my work, using it as a distraction to stop myself from overthinking the weekend plans I had agreed to. I even worked through lunch opting to eat at my desk. I was just getting ready to leave when I got another text from Mandy,

Pub - 1 Hour.

I didn't bother responding, there was no need, I had been summoned. Mandy was the social glue of our group, always managing the different dynamics in the group, taking responsibility for organising birthdays and the few other activities we all did together. She hated being called the mum of the group because she was the youngest at 23, 4 years younger than my 27.

I got to the pub 5 minutes early and went to order only for the bartender Geoff to tell me that Mandy already bought my drink, and was waiting for me in the garden.

She wasn't alone, the other girls in our group were with her and none of them were smiling when they saw me. I had experienced this before, Mandy, Penny and Beth would occasionally hold interventions when they thought the boys in the group needed one. I had my last one just over 6 months earlier when I got back from Botswana after Christmas.

"Hi Ladies," I said sitting down. I took a quick sip before facing them. "My last pep talk was 6 months ago, I'm not due until January."

Penny laughed but Mandy and Beth remained serious. I decided to wait them out, this was their meeting.

Unsurprisingly Mandy took the lead, "Mike, what's going on with you and Sarah? You've only met each other twice. You haven't been on any dates, you've never flirted with her, and you've only exchanged one hug, and now she's spending the night at your place?"

Beth followed up "Mike we're just concerned, you haven't been the same since you got back from Botswana. Now you're inviting a stranger over, the old you would've waited longer for that step. If this goes badly Mandy is in a bad position. She loves you but Sarah is her childhood friend, she doesn't want to be in the middle. Penny and I are more worried about you but Sarah has her own baggage and we just want to make sure you're making good choices."

I looked at Penny waiting to see if she had her own statement before responding. "Look girls, honestly I have no clue what's going on. I mentioned I was going to watch Lord of the Rings she showed interest and I invited her. Yes, I'm making her dinner but that's just what I do, you've all eaten dinner at mine. As for her spending the night it was her idea, I offered her my bed while I sleep on the sofa bed like I've done for all of you at some point when you've needed a place to crash after a night out."

Beth and Penny seemed pacified at my statement. Mandy stared at me, for a few seconds longer reading my face. Her superpower is catching me in a lie and content I've been honest. She nodded her head. Suddenly the girls shifted gear into giving me all sorts of advice for how to behave when Sarah comes over. "Don't drink too much with boys" "Her favourite wine is..." "Be a gentleman" "Use a condom". That last one came with a barrage of laughs. Mission achieved we all went our separate ways about an hour later.

I was in the middle of sorting out my dinner when my phone buzzed, Sarah.

Sarah: Hey, Mandy says she and the girls ambushed you tonight and you'll be on your best behaviour on Saturday. Wanna catch me up?

Me: Oh nothing just the usual, be a gentleman, use a condom.

Sarah: You've never not been a gentleman to me... I don't like condoms. I have the implant and I'm clean. I got tested just after I got back to Oxford. You?

I couldn't tell if she was telling me that just because I had mentioned the fact the girls had brought up condoms as a joke or if it was something she needed me to know. Was she teasing me? I had thought I was joking but maybe she saw more into our Saturday night than I did. I decided to be honest and respond, I mean there was nothing I could tell her she couldn't find out from Mandy.

Me: I haven't been with anyone in nearly a year, and I got tested after that ended - I'm clean. I decided to take a break from dating at the start of the year.

Sarah: Good, see you Saturday😊

I can't pretend that I was any good at work that Friday, my mind was swirling with the possibilities of what might happen on Saturday. By 3 I gave it up as just one of those days. I mentioned to my boss I was going to head out early using the fact I had worked through lunch the previous day as an excuse. I think she knew my mind was elsewhere because she made no complaint. I suppose it helped that it was a Friday and most people in the office tried to leave as early as possible after 4.

Needing something to do I went to the supermarket to pick up supplies for the weekend. I had already decided to make her a lasagna, it was something I could prep in the morning and just put it in the oven an hour before I needed it. So with the ingredients for lasagna sorted, I picked up some garlic bread, some things for a salad, a couple bottles of the wine the girls had mentioned as her favourite and some beer just in case.

The other bonus to my plan was I would have time to clean my little flat up. I liked to think I kept the place fairly clean but let's be honest as a single man I probably needed to do a few extras to get the place up to female guest standards.

Knowing I was about to spiral into overthinking the next day I headed to the pub. Almost the entire gang was there and were mixed in with the older regulars, the high council I called them. It only took a couple of beers before I was able to push the next night out of my brain and have a good time.

The next morning I was surprisingly not very hungover. It allowed me to focus on the task at hand. By 10 am the lasagna was prepped and in the fridge. By 2 pm the house was cleaned from top to bottom the extra bedding was out for the sofa bed and I was off to the pub to watch the cricket. Thankfully England were playing very well and easily dispatching a talented Pakistan side that I was able to push aside thoughts of my date/non-date.