Mike and Sarah Pt. 02: Love Building

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Confused, Sarah asks who was on the phone,

"Oh, that was my Aunt Karen, my Uncle Edward's wife. Apparently, someone posted on Facebook that there is a new lady friend in my life and Karen is curious. So do you reckon we're going to be available for lunch next Sunday?"

"Mike, we're so new I'm sure if I'm ready to meet your family, especially after everything you told me last night,"

"Oh don't worry about Karen and Edward, Edward is my dad's brother, the one I told you would pick me over him. After my Gran died Karen appointed herself as the Matriarch of the family and she's a little protective of me, partly due to the years I've spent alone in Newcastle, and even though we've never discussed it I'm pretty certain she can feel the undercurrent of tension between me, Dad and Marie. Don't worry though, she's the most welcoming people person I've ever known," I tell her reassuringly, "Anyway there's still the matter of the status of our relationship to discuss, if I'm your new man, what does that make you my girlfriend, partner or missus?"

Smiling back at me she responds "Let's start at girlfriend and work at making my way up to missus."

"Deal," I reply before kissing her.

Pausing for a second, she suddenly looks nervous, "Mike are there any more phone calls we should worry about?

Looking at the time, "Just one more, but don't worry you won't have to meet her for a while."

She opens her mouth to question me further but right on queue my phone rings again, this time the name flashes, Amy. Deciding to tease Sarah a little more I answer,

"Hi, Mum,"

"Oh, you saw that did you."

"It's new but I really like her."

"Yes, Mum."

"I'm not sure we're ready for that Mum, but hopefully soon."

"Yes, Mum I'll come visit soon."

"Okay Mum, I love you too, tell the others I'll see them soon."

"See you soon."

Sarah looks at me in amazement, "Who was that?"

"Oh, that was my godmother Amy. One day when I was little and I was playing with my godbrothers I accidentally called her mum while asking for a drink, instead of correcting me, she picked me up and cuddled me and said 'That's right my boy I'm your other Mum' and I've called her Mum ever since. I tried calling her Amy once when I was 15 and she just said 'Excuse me, who do you think you're talking to'".

Sarah laughs, "Oh my God that's so cute. I hope I get to meet her."

I look at her carefully before responding, "I wouldn't be so sure about that, where Karen is welcoming and I have no worries about introducing you. Amy is a mama bear and she's only gotten more protective of me over the years, first during the divorce and even more so after Mum died."

Contemplating what I've said for a moment Sarah looks away deep in thought, after a minute or so she looks back at me and smiles brightly "Good thing you've bought us some time, now by the time I meet her there'll be no doubts about how I feel about you," She says before leaning over to kiss me.

Breaking our kiss I check the time and realise we should head home, "Come on, even if we walk the short way it'll take us an hour and a half back to mine."

Sarah groans at my suggestion, "Can't we just get back to the main road and get a taxi, let's go to the pub. Since you paid for lunch I'll get the taxi and the first round. We don't have to stay long I just want this day to last a little longer".

Knowing it's not worth arguing about I agree before we gather our stuff and head out. Thankfully there's a taxi not far away and we're on our way about 5 minutes later. In the car, she kisses me on the cheek "Thank you for the weekend," She looks over at the driver for a second before bringing her lips right up to my ear and whispering seductively "I'm looking forward to showing you how grateful I am later."

Leaning back into her I reply "Why are we going to the pub then?"

Giggling back at me she responds, "Because anticipation makes the treat better."

Arriving at the pub we manage to get served quickly and after Sarah pays I expect her to lead me out to our usual table in the beer garden, but instead, she leads me into the sports bar where we find the old regulars and a few of our group hanging out including Mandy and Adam. Before we can take a seat Mandy intercepts us and ushers Sarah outside.

Once the girls leave, the boys in the room turn to jeer me. Mark clearly, no more sober than he was when we left him the night before, starts the banter, "Ah Smithy lad, I have heard tell that the bonnie lass has made her claim on you public, and you are never more to roam the taverns with the freedom of a bachelor."

I should point out that despite the accent he puts on while drunk, Mark is in no way Scottish.

Before I can respond, Bob joins in, "It's a slippery slope from here boy. Treat the young lady right and you'll be as happy as can be, upset her and make sure you have enough money in your bank account to make it right."

I accept the jokes for the friendly manner in which they are intended to be received and I raise my drink to the bar.

Joining Adam, he raises his glass to me in cheers, clinking his in return I let him speak, "I'm happy for the both of you mate. You both deserve some happiness, and given the way you've become drawn to each other so easily I reckon if you give it a chance you could both make each other very happy."

I look at him confused, "What do you mean mate? How are you so certain?"

He gives me a deep look and pulls me away from the group into the smoking area near the front entrance, "Look mate punch me if you want when I'm done, but let me finish. Mike, you're a hard person to know, the girls love you, the old boys in there love you, hell I love you despite the fact I sometimes worry about how close you are with my girlfriend. I also know you well enough to know that you'll never interfere with my relationship. But fuck Mike, sometimes I'm not sure we're friends, we act like friends and I think you're my friend. But the way you block everyone out makes me wonder if you have or want friends. The only person I've ever seen you treat like a friend is Mandy. Admittedly that's her talent and I love her for it but shit mate, there's nothing wrong with needing someone now and then. You're always there when someone needs you but I can't think of a single incident in the time I've known you where you have reached out for help. You're so determined to get through life alone that it's hard to care sometimes. I know Mandy knows some of your story but she won't share it with me because she won't break your trust, she'll tell me every little thing about what's going on with the girls, but talking about you closes her up like a vault, that's what fucking scares me about how close you are. Then Sarah turns up and in less than a month she works further into your life than those of us who have known you for years have gotten. So yeah, I reckon you and Sarah could make each other very happy because everyone with eyes can see you're already happier than any of us have ever seen. All I hope is that this happiness makes you a better friend and person, so we don't feel like we have to work for any scrap of happiness you're prepared to share with us."

Adam's outburst hits me like a punch to the gut. Have I really been that closed off to the people in my life? I give him a nod and ask him for a moment and go and sit at one of the tables before lighting a cigarette contemplating what Adam has said. Deciding to be better, if not for me but at least for those who deserve more from me, I light another to reset before going back in to join everyone. In my reverie, I don't notice Sarah taking the seat next to me.

"Hey, you okay?" She asks softly.

Looking at her for a moment, I ask the question that's been running through my mind since Adam confronted me, "Based on what you know about me, do you think I've been a bad friend?"

She considers my question before kissing my cheek, "I think you've been the best friend you know how to be and now you're trying to be better, that's all any of them can ask." She steals my cigarette and takes a few pulls before giving it back to me. "You coming back in," She asks.

"Yeah, just give me a few and I'll be back in there smiling and joking," I tell her. With another kiss on my cheek, she heads back inside.

I finish the cigarette and follow her. Immediately on my return, Bob confronts me, "Smithy! Now you're done pissing about outside we've got business to discuss. End-of-season match vs the White Hart in 2 weeks just before schools restart so we can use the pitch around the corner. I've put the sheet up but selection meeting next Saturday. Adam, you'll sign up won't you, we're going to be short with the late notice."

Sarah pipes in "Can I come to the selection meeting Bob, since you plan to steal my boyfriend for an afternoon?"

The pub roars in laughter, while Bob looks at her in complete shock at her request, almost at a loss for words he drops his boisterous persona and returns to the retired teacher he truly is, "Sarah, you seem like a great girl and I'm happy you and Michael here have found each other but honestly I would let you play before I agree to a wife or girlfriend at a selection meeting. But I will give you this you can join us when it's done, your boyfriend might be worse for wear but he'll be in one piece."

Sarah is indignant, "What is this the 1950s? Surely your selection meetings aren't so misogynistic that women are banned."

The pub is quiet now, Bob gives her a carefully considered look, "No Sarah, selection meetings aren't misogynistic, but surely you understand that occasionally there's a time that male bonding is acceptable. Tell you what you get Mandy over there and those other lovely young ladies I see you with to let Michael come to one of your girls' nights and we can revisit the selection meeting issue."

Sarah opens her mouth and closes it quickly realising she's been defeated. She considers her thoughts for a moment, before responding "Fine have your boys' day, but you better be done by 6 and Michael better be in a state to spend time with me after, I'm meeting the family next Sunday."

Mark intervenes at this, "Sarah lass, Old Bob here is an honourable man and he'll never tell you a lie but please don't ask him to make promises no man in here including your lad over there can possibly keep."

Sarah looks at me for support but conveniently she can't quite catch my eyes. Eventually, she bursts out laughing, "Don't worry boys I was joking have your male bonding afternoon, I'm sure me and the girls will find something to do, there's a bottomless brunch I know Mandy wants to try. But no complaints when we come and watch the game."

The pub roars in laughter again before Mandy protests, "Sarah babe, we don't watch the games, we just meet them here afterwards and abuse the team tab while the boys relive a game no one will care about 3 days later."

Sarah rolls her eyes "Well I've never been to a game and I want to support my man so I'll be watching."

The pub cheers at this declaration before Mark interrupts "Sarah lass, that might be the most sensible thing you've said all night. Your next drink is on me."

Slowly the evening descends into a drunken night that none of us have business having on a Sunday but it's far too enjoyable to end. At some point, Mandy separates me from the group and takes me into the beer garden under the pretence of a cigarette, I know it's a setup because Sarah catches my eyes before we leave the room, but makes no move to follow us.

Outside Mandy takes a cigarette from my pack without asking before taking my lighter out of my hand. I'm not surprised by this because in the time I've known her she only smokes when she's tipsy or drunk. I watch her as she takes a deep drag of the cigarette, she looks back at me as if wondering what to say. Finally, she speaks, "Mike, I don't know whether or not to thank you or ask Adam to kick your arse," She pauses again before continuing, "I want to thank you for bringing my best friend back, I know she's told you everything, but I haven't seen her like this since before her parents got divorced. I watched her for 2 years going down a road I couldn't follow, and I fought for another 2 years to bring her back, she was close but she wasn't the same. Then she came back from Manchester almost more broken than before and I had to fight to bring her back again and I'm certain she only let me because she had no one else. Now here we are 2 months later, and she's glowing Mike, fucking glowing and the only thing that's changed is the time she spends with you. I've known her since we were 6 and I've never got her to glow like she does after a month of knowing you. I'm scared maybe more scared than she is because if this doesn't work out I'm not sure I'll be able to bring her back again."

Mandy looks like she's on the verge of tears and I'm not sure anything I can say can help her fears, instead, I ask her something she doesn't expect, "What about me Mandy? Aren't you scared I have just as much to lose here if she decides it's not working?"

Mandy is surprised by my question, but she takes a minute before responding, "Mike, I love you and it's because I love you I already know how you would react. You'll withdraw from the group, build your walls back up and retreat into that little world that only exists in your head. You won't disappear that's not your style, you'll still be available for us and you'll act like you're here but you won't be really. Eventually, I'll break through and you'll share just enough to convince me you're okay. Maybe Sarah will break you, but you won't let me know enough to help, and even if you did, you wouldn't let me help you. Sarah will be helpless without you."

My anger building I decide to push my point further, "Mandy maybe the only way I can have Sarah is if I dismantle those walls, she basically told me as much earlier. I've been building these walls as long as you've known her and I want to tear them down for her. 17 years Mandy, 17 fucking years of hiding, protecting myself and your friend steamrolls past my defences within weeks like they don't even exist. Including you and her I can count on one hand the number of people who know the real me behind the defences and my story, fuck it, let us add Adam to that since you tell him everything. So once again Mandy what about me? I'm ready to give it all up for her, you say I'll just retreat and rebuild my defences but do you understand how much work it has taken to get here and be willing to give it all up on the minuscule chance it actually works out? So yeah worry about your best friend, I would think less of you if you didn't pick her over me but don't think for a second I have nothing to lose in this," I finish not realising my voice has risen to just below a shout.

Mandy is silent and in the calm of the moment I hear a sob, it's not Mandy, looking around I see Sarah and Adam watching us. I smile weakly at Sarah but that just makes her cry harder, I move to hug her, and she grips me like an octopus sobbing into my chest. I look up and I see Adam is trying to do the same thing for Mandy who is now crying too. After a couple of minutes, Sarah breaks the hug and goes to Mandy and Adam, gently she pushes Adam away and pulls Mandy into another hug. Adam and I are useless as the girls continue to cry holding onto each other. Eventually, enough time passes for them to calm down and they have a muffled conversation with their heads nuzzled into each other's necks. Slowly Sarah's head pulls back and she nods at Mandy. Breaking their embrace Mandy approaches me and wraps me in a tight hug before pulling my head down so she can whisper, "Mike I'm so sorry, I just love you both so much I don't know how to take you being together and the possibility it won't work. I can't promise I won't be a stupid meddling bitch but give me a chance and I'll try and let you work it out together."

Pulling her a little closer, "That's all we ask Mandy."

Trying to defuse the tension of the last 20 minutes I make an executive decision, "Right I think we all need another round after that, drinks and tequila on me," I announce before walking away not allowing them the chance to protest.

Just as our drinks arrive, I feel someone lifting my arm to cuddle my side I instinctively know it's Sarah so I don't bother looking down I just keep concentrating on the drinks in front of us making sure the round is right. Turning back to our table I make sure everyone has their drink before raising the shots of tequila in silent toast before knocking it back. In the end, we stay at the pub much longer than we should for a Sunday but it's closing time when we finally head home. Mandy somehow convinced the staff to give her control of the jukebox app, and she queued up a selection of pop nonsense we could dance to. By the end of the night, we've danced the Macarena, Adam and I have done a poor rendition of Jay Z and Linkin Park, and I've had a slow dance with Sarah to Foreigner 'I Want to Know What Love Is'. The girls duetting Coyote Ugly's 'Can't Fight the Moonlight' by the time the staff calls time on us.

Going our separate ways Sarah and I stumble back to my flat. Letting us in Sarah makes a beeline to the bathroom coming out she quickly loses her top, bra and leggings before helping herself to a T-shirt. I've just about changed before she staggers into my arms, "Mike I know we're supposed to work tomorrow but tonight let's just get drunk and pull a sickie."

"Why Sarah? We've already drunk most of the day away, and have definitely had more than our share, even if we pull a sickie we need to sleep," I ask her in response.

"Because I lied earlier I'm not falling in love with you. I am in love with you and after your fight with Mandy earlier I know you love me too even if you're too stubborn or closed off to admit it and I want to celebrate the moment. If we were more sober we'd be in that bed fucking to celebrate, but we're not so we're going to keep drinking, and tomorrow, once you feed me and the hangover wears off we're going to spend the day in bed so I can show you how much I already love you and you can show me how much you love me," She tells me with the most serious face I've seen on her in since she told me about her life.

I laugh at her, "You know for a supposed submissive you're really demanding?"

"You can discipline me for stepping outside my role in the morning Sir, but tonight you're going to indulge me," she replies with a cheeky grin before pulling me into a kiss.

"So what are we drinking to celebrate?"

"Can we have more of that South African brandy and coke?" She asks coyly.

Sighing in feigned exasperation I lead her to the kitchen and pour us both healthy measures of brandy. In the living room, she pairs her phone with the TV and puts on a playlist of pop music we can both dance to. She makes me dance to most songs with her, but every 4-5 songs she gives me a break but she keeps going. I notice she is an exceptional dancer, no matter the song or style she manages to find a movement to fit which is perfectly in time. Now and then she gets fed up with the playlist and puts a slow song on so I have no choice but to get up and dance with her. It's deliberate because once she has me standing she keeps me dancing with her for at least 4 songs before she's content to dance alone and give me a private show. There is something completely enchanting and sexy watching the woman you love dance without a care in the world at 3 am your living room dressed in nothing but knickers and your shirt.

By the time the brandy is finished I spot the light of the rising sun creeping through the windows, I suggest we just stay up until it's time to call work rather than risk sleeping and calling in late. She squeals in delight before running into the kitchen and returning with the bottle of wine we didn't open the other night and a bottle of tequila I've been hiding. I raise my eye slightly at the tequila and ask her, "How did you know I had that?"

1...45678...11