Miracle Cream Ch. 02c

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Shh... it will be alright," Celeste cooed sweetly, yet she prayed that her words would ring true.

"Is Dad on his way back?" Zoe asked, after having dried her eyes.

"No," shaking her head, "the screw-up is a whole lot bigger than even he thought it would be; he's going to be there for a while," Celeste said, rubbing Dayana's back as she held on tightly to her.

"I'm so scared; there was so much blood, he looked so weak," Dayana whispered into her mother's shoulder.

"I know, I am too, baby," Celeste said, trying to be the strong one given how Jairo wasn't there to be the rock they so needed; the anchor in that turbulent storm.

"I need to take this," Cassy said, seeing her mother's name appear on the screen of her phone as it rang in her hand. "I won't be long," she whispered in a reassuring voice as she lightly touched Zoe's left arm, who nodded in understanding. "Hey, Mom," Cassy answered when she was well enough away from the three of them, so she wouldn't be overheard.

"Cass, why does it sound like you're in a hospital? Are you alright?"

"Cory's back in surgery," Cassy said low to keep her voice from carrying.

"What happened?"

"Don't know yet; he just started bleeding after we left his doctor's. I'm glad he didn't walk off like he had planned on doing."

"What did you do, Cass?"

"I didn't do anything, Mom?!"

"Cass, I know you, I raised you, what did you do? You two were getting along before they left; what happened. It was a girl, wasn't it?"

"Alright, yeah, there was a girl; how was I to know he'd take it..."

"Yet you know of his... resistance to his family and relies on his friends whom you did whatever you did with, and thought he wasn't going to get upset about it?"

"I... no, I didn't think about it," Cassy admitted.

"If you wanted to be his friend, I'd say you're going about it rather poorly, honey. So, any word yet? How are they taking the news?"

"As good as you can expect, Mom," Cassy sighed.

"Well, you keep me informed. I'll call Celeste in the morning and reschedule Cory's appointment for Friday; I doubt he'll be eager to talk after having to be put under again."

"Okay."

"Will you be home for dinner tonight, or are you having dinner again with your girlfriend?"

"Mom?!" Cassy hissed, feeling her cheeks rapidly heat.

"What?! Can't a mother tease her daughter when she gets all giddy talking about a certain someone?" Groaning because one: it was true, Cassy did get rather excited when Zoe ever came up, two: it was causing her mother endless amusement.

"Yes, I'll be home for dinner," Cassy hissed into her phone. Feeling her embarrassment flooding her body at her mother's chuckle.

"What's taking so damn long?!" Zoe grumbled, worried about Cory when no one has come to speak with them for over three hours.

"I don't know, honey, but I too am getting anxious about what's happening to Cory," Celeste said, slipping her hand into her daughter's as she sat between the two of them. Offering her strength when she too wanted to break down and cry, just like the two of them had done. Yet, she had to be the strong one. No matter how much she worried about her son's fate.

"Dr. Whitmore?! What are you doing here?" Celeste asked, surprised to see their family doctor there walking towards them.

"I came to give you an update on Cory's condition. I'm sure you and your daughters are going out of your minds just waiting here with no one bringing you updates," she said, with a warm smile on her face. "First off, I'd like you to know Cory pulled through the surgery." Seeing the happiness flooding their widening eyes. "I don't know how but somehow the stitches that were keeping the wound on his stomach closed loosened, causing his stomach acid to leak out and corroding the sutures, which caused it to pour into the body cavity where his spleen once was, which in turn played havoc on the sutures that were keeping the artery that used to supply his spleen closed. Which in turn was the source of the bleeding."

"Can this happen again?" Celeste asked, worried that fate had a hard-on for her son.

"It can, but it's a minimal chance, Cory just happened to be one of the few that has had this happen to him, but the surgeon made sure it wouldn't happen again."

"Then is Cory in recovery?!" Dayana asked, eager to see her little brother.

"No, he's still in surgery," Dr. Whitmore stated.

"Why?" Cassy asked, writing this all down, so she could properly take care of Cory during the day.

"I thought it best to go ahead with the nerve conduction test, seeing how Cory was already under."

"What did the test show, doctor?" Celeste asked, gently squeezing her daughter's hands in case it was terrible news.

"I don't know what happened in that fight, but it appears the nerve was severed in the process, so the surgeon went ahead and removed the cast and is now performing the reattachment procedure. That should restore the feeling in his left ring finger."

"Will there be any side effects?" Cassy asked, all so she could properly perform her duties as Cory's day nurse.

"Not that I'm aware of, but if something does happen, inform me at once," Dr. Whitmore stated in a clinical voice. "While the incision is healing, Cory will be placed in a specially modified splint cast, so the incision can heal properly while keeping his middle and ring finger immobilized. Then he'll have to go back into a fixed cast until his knuckles fully heal, but we can handle that at my office."

"How long will the surgery last?"

"They were closing him up when I left, so not long before he's moved to recovery, then I'm sure we can get you in to see him," Dr. Whitmore said, seeing the relief flooding their bodies at the news. "I'm going to have to extend Cory's absence by a week, just to be certain he's healing properly. So, I went ahead and printed out the notes you would need for his work and school. If you experience any problems, please don't hesitate to have them call me. I will be happy to discuss the matter while keeping Cory's medical history as guarded as I can."

"Thank you, Dr. Whitmore; I don't know what would have happened to Cory if he wasn't just outside your office," Celeste said, rising from her seat and shaking the doctor's hand for keeping her boy alive.

"No need for thanks; it's why I got into this in the first place. I'm just glad I was able to stabilize him long enough for the ambulance to arrive. I'd like to see Cory on Tuesday to see if the surgery restored everything to his finger. I'll call you with the time. Now, if you'll excuse me, I really should get back to the office."

"Here, Mom, I'll run one of those to his job," Zoe said, holding out her hand when their doctor had left them. Knowing this was probably the reason Cory was going there in the first place. Plus, she needed something to do instead of sitting there worrying every second as the hour ticked by.

"You sure you don't want to stay? Cory could be out at any minute," Celeste said, in a motherly tone.

"Yeah, don't think Cory wants to see me right now, but we'll be back; I won't be long," Zoe said, taking the note from her mother.

"What was that all about?" Celeste asked, retaking her seat when Zoe and Cassy walked off.

"Well..."

******

"He works here?" Cassy asked, looking up at the Hardees' Star that sat over the entrance to the restaurant interior when she pulled her car into the free parking space.

"Yeah, has for the past two years," Zoe admitted, wondering what had gone so wrong since their return from the beach. "Maybe it's not going to be as easy as I once thought it would be," she muttered to herself as Cassy cut off her car.

"Didn't take Cory for working in a fast-food joint," Cassy whistled.

"I won't be long, I hope..."

"I'm coming with you; we could use a bite to eat while we're here. Plus, Cory isn't going to wake up any time soon," Cassy said, removing her key from the ignition. "Zoe, it's going to be okay," she uttered in a caring voice as she reached over and lightly laid her hand on Zoe's left forearm.

"I know Cory will be fine, but will our relationship be?" Zoe asked aloud to no one in particular, with hints of sadness in her voice.

"Only time will tell, Zoe," Cassy said, trying not to bring her down but also making her see that might never happen.

"Is your manager in today?" Zoe asked the cashier when they reached the counter.

"Yes, she is; why?"

"I'm Cory's sister; I need to give her something that's personal in nature dealing with Cory."

"Is he alright? We all heard he was injured," asked a very concerned boy no older than sixteen, who was experiencing a rather bad out break of zits at the moment.

"He'll be fine; just a little setback is all," Zoe said, trying to keep the tremble from her voice.

"Give me a moment," the boy said, seeing Zoe nod before heading off to the back of the restaurant.

A rather thick, she carried the weight well to Zoe's eyes, late forties woman ambled to the front. Her red hair had lost some of its luster from her youth, noting the few grey hairs mixed in.

"You wanted to see me; this is about Cory? He was supposed to come here when he got back; what happened?"

"Can we talk somewhere more private? I'd rather not air Cory's private life for all to hear," Zoe said, in a protective sisterly voice.

"Yes, of course, come to my office," Mrs. Ross spoke as she walked to the door that separated the kitchen from the bathrooms and dining area. Her finger moved over the keypad and unlocking the door, allowing Zoe admittance to the kitchen area.

"I'll be over there," Cassy said, pointing to the table, seeing Zoe nod as she followed Cory's boss.

Zoe noted how the few men who were working were gawking at her as she followed past. She was wondering if Cory even spoke about them while he was at work. Obviously, the boy didn't know that Cory had a sister or sisters, given the look on the young man's face. Pondering on just how much of his life he kept hidden; he failed to even mention his family to those he worked with. 'He had already cut them out?' Biting down on those emotions as it truly hurt to know just how much Cory had cut them out of his life, and they didn't even realize it.

"Thank you," Zoe said softly when Mrs. Ross offered her the chair in front of her desk after she had shut her office door.

"Now tell me, what's going on with Cory?" Mrs. Ross asked, as she took her seat.

"Cory had to be rushed back to the hospital a few hours ago." Seeing the look of shock and horror etched on her face when she said that.

"Oh, my God! Is Cory alright?! What happened?! I thought he was recovering!"

"The stitches they used to sew up the wound on his stomach loosened, causing his stomach acid to... spill into his body cavity. Which led to him bleeding; we were lucky that we were still at his doctor's when it happened. Otherwise, I don't know what would happen to him. When I left the hospital, they were just finishing up the surgery, so I know he pulled through, but..."

"Oh, honey," Mrs. Ross said, quickly getting up from her seat and comforting Zoe as she could no longer hold the tide of tears back. "I know it looks bad now with all this just piling on you and your family, but I'm sure everything will work out," she spoke in a motherly voice as her hand lightly rubbed Zoe's back.

"Here's the doctor's note for Cory," Zoe said, handing it over after her emotions had run their course.

"I can understand why his doctor wants him to rest for an extra week," Mrs. Ross said, after she read the note, knowing she was going to have to find someone to cover his shift until Cory was well enough to return to work.

"It's probably also because they just operated on his left hand."

"Huh?"

"When Cory was in that fight, somehow the nerve in his finger got severed, and they had to reattach it. So, he'll be in a splint for a while then back to the cast until his knuckles are fully healed," Zoe stated, truthfully.

"I wonder who he pissed off upstairs to have this string of bad luck," Mrs. Ross said, in a joking manner, seeing Zoe's lips lifted into a small smile. "Do tell Cory he's been and still will be in my prayers until he's all better, and thank you for bringing this in to me," she said, patting the note. "I hope your brother doesn't have to go under the knife anytime soon. Three surgeries in a week are a little too much for one to take, including his or her family."

"Thank you, I will, the moment he wakes up," Zoe said, with a nod as she rose from her seat.

"Do take care of yourself; I know this is a trying time for you and your family. But through hardships, we all grow stronger," Mrs. Ross said, with sage advice.

******

Cory awoke around three that afternoon, feeling like he got hit by a truck, literally. His groan of pain caused his mother and sisters to surge from their seats as they all waited patiently for him to rouse from his drug-induced slumber. His right eye fluttered open, feeling that same numb, fuzzy feeling he had felt when he woke up Sunday morning at the hospital at the beach.

"Not again," Cory groaned in annoyance at the sight of the ceiling of the hospital room he was placed in. Then his head shot instantly down to his left hand when he could feel his finger again. How it felt so heavenly after four days of feeling like it was dead to the world. However, his revelry was short-lived as Dayana planted a passionate kiss on his lips before pressing her forehead against his. Which as you can imagine got very curious looks from Zoe and Celeste.

"I was so scared, Cory; I thought I lost you," Dayana whispered low, thanking whoever was watching over her brother that he was still with her. Seeing that green eye of his staring at her oddly when those words left her lips.

"Dayana, give your brother some room to breathe," Celeste said, in a motherly tone. A little peeved that Dayana beat her to the first kiss.

"What happened to my cast?" Cory asked, lifting his hand, eyeing the black splint cast that was wrapped around his hand, encasing his middle and ring finger in a sturdy polyester cloth with a hard insert to keep him from bending his fingers. Also, noting the stitches on the top of his hand.

"When they had you in surgery to repair the damage your stomach acid had caused, hence why you were bleeding," Celeste spoke, seeing Cory's eyebrow lifting as she spoke. "They went ahead, per Dr. Whitmore's request, and performed the nerve test on you, subsequently preforming the surgery on your hand to reattach your nerve. Did it work?" Cory didn't need to voice the answer; his smile did that for him. "Good, I'm glad the surgery worked out," she said, laying her hand above the edge of his splint cast. "Your father will be so happy to hear that."

"Where's Cassandra?" Cory asked, noting the lack of her presence in the room.

"Her mother called, so she had to run home. Why?" Zoe asked, wondering why he wasn't using the pet name he had given her at the beach. She knew Cassy was growing fond of the name.

"Just wondering," Cory said, offhandedly.

"Honey, what happened between the two of you?" Celeste asked, peering at him as she sank down onto the edge of his bed.

"Not fond of people trying to shag my friends when they all but forget the reason Jessica came over in the first place," Cory said, sternly.

"This true?" Celeste asked, turning to look at Zoe.

"Yes, but we apologized," Zoe said, defending her and Cassy's actions. "We just got carried away. It won't happen again, I swear."

"Uh-huh," Cory hummed in disbelief. He knew with her one-track mind it would indeed happen again. "So, how long am I stuck here for?" he asked, turning his gaze to his mother.

"You've been stable ever since they stopped the blood loss. So the doctor who's in charge of you said, the moment you woke up. After she's looked you over, you'd be out by dinner," Celeste said, eager to get her son home, so she could baby him like she couldn't do with Sam, Delilah, and Cassy around during their stay at the beach.

"Aw. I was really looking forward to that sponge bath in the morning," Cory grumbled, earning him a smack on his arm from his mother, who wore a coy smirk on her lips. Although given how he barely could peer out from his left eye, Cory missed the glare Dayana was giving him.

"So, Grumpy awakes," Cassy said, from the doorway with a smile on her lips, with her mother in tow.

"Save me," Cory whispered in urgency.

"From?"

"The Smurf killer," Cory uttered, referencing the color of Cassy's lipstick from last night, getting a giggle out of his mother.

"I told you why they had to go," Cassy huffed, crossing her arms.

"And you've deprived Wonderland of those famous cookies! How could you!"

"It was a cost that was worth their culling," Cassy nodded sternly.

Delilah eyed her daughter, then Cory, wondering where this morbid banter sprouted from. "Hello, Cory, how are you feeling?" she asked, greeting him as she stepped into the room.

"Doc, that's a rhetorical question, right?" Cory spoke with a pointed look.

"No, it wasn't," shaking her head, "I'm sure you're feeling down about having to be rushed back to the hospital less than a day after your return."

"Not really, things happen, more so to me than them," Cory said, jutting his chin to his family. "Besides, I've always wanted to become the Joker, just not on the inside," sighing loudly at their confused looks, "try reading a comic book once in a while," he muttered.

"Oh? That's a rather sensible outlook given everything. Are you sure you don't need to talk? I'm here to listen," Delilah said, while her eyes glanced at her daughter.

"No, I have Smurfs to bury given your daughter's massacre of that peaceful village just so she could paint her lips."

"I... see," Delilah uttered, trying not to smile when she had to admit it did look a little like a Smurf was on her lips. "Are you sure it was a Smurf village, and Cassy just didn't blow one of the Blue Man Group?" she retorted, noting the shocked eyes and gaping mouth of her daughter as Cory burst out in laughter until he winced in pain.

"That was a good one," Cory said, once he was able to.

"Cory, may I ask a question?" Delilah inquired as she stepped towards his hospital bed.

"Shoot."

"Why have you stopped calling Cassy, Pixie? You know she was growing rather fond of the name. So, why did you stop?"

"She knows why," Cory sighed.

"Then have they not apologize..."

"Words mean little, actions are more truthful, and really, does hers show it won't happen again?" Cory asked, with a pointed look.

"Are you always this protective of your friends?" Delilah asked, folding her hands before her.

"Why shouldn't I be, they're the ones who've been there for me for the past five years, not them," Cory stated pointing at his family.

"So say, if this friend of yours were the one that sought it out, what then?"

"Won't care, her choice."

"Then wasn't her choice to speak with Cassy and Zoe?" Delilah asked, in that tone that she has honed after years of experience.

"I see, so let's forget she came over to see me and just let it go, huh? Ignore how neither one of them even saw us standing there for three minutes, to busy yakking it up to give a damn about anyone else, or the fact that I might actually have needed my friend right then. Nah, none of that matters, does it?" Cory asked, his temper rising.

"Cory... I..." Zoe's voice stilled as he held up his hand.

"Were you involved in this conversation?" His eye cut hard into her. "No, you weren't, so butt out. So, tell me, Doc, tell me just who is in the wrong here? Me for thinking my friend is and was supposed to have my back, or your daughter and my sister? Tick-tock Doc, the clock is ticking."