Moon Witch Ch. 16 - End

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I greet each one of them in turn. I'm not sure what Geralo or Peponge's deep purple robes mean, but both of them are cool and collected. Geralo seems to be much younger, seemingly closer in age to Eryx or Anya than the others sitting here. Peponge's head is completely shaved and he's a bit portly. Leilani is the friendliest, a stern looking woman whose face softens considerably when she smiles. She's on my other side when I sit next to Eryx, and she puts a warm hand on my back.

"Nice to meet you," I say in the Gra'marian traditional greeting, hoping it left my mouth correctly. I lean over to Eryx. "Who are they?"

It's at this point that Dakka returns. He's a military man and he dons the same black robes that Eryx and Anya and Lussen wear. He slides a bowl of stew in front of me. I wrinkle my nose at the small portion.

"You've been out for a long time," says Eryx. Dakka and I greet each other as the ex-general goes on. "It's been nearly three weeks."

The mouthful that I shoveled into my mouth was too hot, and I let the food fall back into the bowl. "Three weeks?" I hastily wipe my mouth, embarrassed that my new acquaintances just witnessed everything. I'm relieved when they pretend not to notice, pockets of conversation breaking out around the table as Eryx and I talk.

"Well, on that day you passed out. I was scared that it took too much out of you at all."

"What happened?"

"When Anya knocked those sealing daggers loose from you-" Anya looks up at us when she hears her name mentioned. "We think that all of the magic inside you trying to come out was too intense. It looked intense, anyways. I've never seen anything like it, your whole body was glowing blue. I don't know how much you remember but you turned around and grabbed Azrath. It was like your hands where you were touching him were burning him, with all of his sounds of pain. It was... It was kind of like watching you use your life magic on that tree. But just with a person, instead. If anything, you should be happy you don't remember seeing it."

"I don't quite remember much of anything, really." I say, blowing on another bite of stew. I don't want to acknowledge what that might have looked like, though I'm quite pleased and relieved to hear it all. "So that means that Azrath is... Gone?"

Eryx nods, putting a hand on my leg. "You did it."

I feel a bit embarrassed by the sincerity of his demeanor. "What's happened since then?"

"Well, Gra'marah was in need of some leadership, right? I've been filling in, basically an acting monarch."

"King Eryx?" I say with a smile.

He rolls his eyes at my teasing. "It's been a while since we've had any elders in Gra'marah, but these are the trustworthy individuals I've put in that role. We've been talking a lot about what direction to take everything now that Azrath is gone. Of course, they're temporary if you think otherwise-"

"Don't worry, I trust your judgment! That's great, though. I'm sure that if they're anything like Anya the country is in very good hands."

"There's one more elder that's not here, actually. I think you'll be pleased to see them."

"Lussen?"

He snorts. "Definitely not. As much as I have a soft spot for him, he'd piss me off day in and day out."

I wrack my brains trying to think of who else it could be. "It's not... The Desert Rose, is it?"

"She's not even really Gra'marian." Eryx responds. "No more guesses, though. I don't want the surprise of it to be ruined. You'll know soon enough."

I pout slightly as I continue to shovel food into my mouth.

Eryx continues to fill me in on what's happened as I eat. There was the start to an uprising happening anyways, once the news had broken out about the deal that Azrath cut with the Eastern Isles. It turns out that the deal itself was even worse than one could have guessed - in exchange for the Eastern Isles' innovations, Gra'marah was to be a funnel of human laborers. Obviously, given the historical dynamic between the two countries, this was something that Gra'marians really didn't like, making Azrath an intensely unpopular king once word got out.

Eryx and the elders have been speaking with the delegation from the Eastern Isles. They want to find a way forward, preserving their diplomatic relations without being trapped within the confines of their prior agreement. Although, it seems that everything is still up in the air and diplomatic relations are rather tense.

I nod as I'm filled in, continuing to eat my small bowl of stew. I only eat about three quarters of it before I feel absolutely stuffed, though. I stare down at it vacantly, wishing I could continue eating. Those three weeks of being asleep must have shrunk my stomach more than I thought was possible.

"Oh, the last elder! There's someone who you may want to meet." Eryx's eyes flick behind me, and I look over my shoulder to see a familiar bespectacled face. My heartbeat jumps straight into my ears, and run at him, hurriedly embracing Byrne.

He takes a moment to hug me back, his arms wrapping around me after a second. I pull away from him and he has the warm smile plastered on his face that I remember.

"You look a little thin," I say when I pull away from him. I'd meant my words to be light but his expression falters just a bit. He really does look a bit gaunt, like he hasn't been eating well recently.

Eryx makes to pull up another chair to have Byrne join us, but he raises a hand.

"I have something to get back to, actually, but I promise I will be there for the next meeting, Eryx-sao." I burst out laughing when he grabs my hand and presses his lips to my knuckles in a show of tenderness. Byrne gives a little nod to me. "Selene-sai, we shall speak more soon."

He turns away, making to leave. "Byrne!" I call after him and he turns around. "Thanks for everything."

He gives a Gra'marian bow of respect, another smile on that face.

We sit back down and I resume eating, relishing in the heavily spiced food as Eryx continues to fill me in.

"Byrne had been sent to Gesethe. We're still not sure how Azrath found out about everything when you ran away, but he did and wanted to punish everyone involved."

"What is Gesethe?" I ask with a mouthful of food.

"It's not a great place. If you go it's basically a death sentence. There is a lot of labor and bad treatment in store, and for someone like Byrne, well." He trails off.

I don't say anything to answer. It makes sense, considering his face and demeanor. I try not to wonder at what that means he went through, and feel a pang when I think of how he went through what he did because of me. I resolve to try to make it up to him in the coming weeks, or at least lavish him with as much friendship as he would have.

Eryx continues telling me about this or that. I'm not in the most conversational mood, and spend most of the time asking for clarification or nodding, just absorbing everything. Azrath is dead. Eryx is here. And I'm safe with him.

All of the elders who had been sitting leave one by one until it's just Eryx and me. They all make sure to say goodbye. Anya is the last to leave and she gives me another warm smile before heading elsewhere.

"She seems more friendly."

"Anya is... Stoic. I think maybe she's just warmed up to you. It probably helped that you've been passed out for a few weeks."

"Funnily enough, I thought similarly about you when we first met." There's such a marked difference in his demeanor towards me now, which I experience again when his puts a hand on my leg again. "You were so stone-faced all the time."

"It's easier to smile and laugh when I'm with you." His words make my stomach flutter.

So much of what we've been through comes to the forefront of my mind. I remember our intimacy, the lengths we went to save each other. But then it's the memories of him asking me, pushing me for my commitment to him that makes my heart race.

"Eryx," I say softly. He looks up, sensing my tone. When he does, I panic and take the conversation in another direction. "Um... So what's happening with Gra'marah now?"

I can tell that he knows I changed my subject, and though he doesn't point it out the mix of curiosity and disappointment is obvious on his face. "I've actually been hoping you might have some insight. As I'm sure you've gathered by now, with the elders and all, I've been acting monarch. The fact of the matter is, though, that you're the one who killed the prior king of Gra'marah. According to the Queen Enchantress's wishes, your bloodline, and Gra'marian common law..." He trails off, not quite asking a question but heavily hinting at it.

I look down. "I don't even think I want to be queen, though." Eryx nods at my quiet words. "Besides, I just woke up from being knocked out for three weeks."

The hand that he has on my leg moves down to where my own hand rests. He takes it up, warming my cold fingers. "I'm not telling you to, but, I don't know, it feels right."

"How can it feel right when I barely have any connection to this whole country? And I doubt that I'll be accepted here. I don't even look Gra'marian at all."

"You have Gra'marian blood in you. If it's the color of your skin, I'm sure that you'll darken the more you're here." His words are light.

"I'm also smaller than everyone, you can't change that. I look different. I act different. I don't even speak the language. I just- Eryx, it doesn't feel right to me." I sigh, feeling burdened with what he's trying to insinuate.

He nods slowly. "I get it. No one will force you to do anything. The new elders have been understanding and patient with the state of our country's leadership, but there will be a time where you need to make some decisions."

"And who says I'm even staying here?" I meant for the words to come out jokingly, but they fall a little flat, even in my ears. I immediately regret what I said when I see Eryx's face.

"You're thinking about going back to Sorrea, then."

"I-" I blow out a big rush of air. "I haven't exactly had a chance to think on things very much."

"Well, do you want to?"

I think about what's left for me in my empty cottage. There's not much. The grief I have for my sister and the life I had before momentarily grips my heart. Even if I were to return, I don't know how I could deal with the emptiness. "That doesn't mean that I'm staying here."

He squeezes my hands so that I look up at him. When he speaks, his voice nearly breaks with the candor of his words. "Stay here with me, Selene. I want to make you happy."

"What happened to making a new life in Sorrea?"

"I've been doing so much to make sure things are running smoothly, and even though it's been busy I've been reminded of everything that keeps Gra'marah in my heart. For the first time in my life, I really feel like I can make a difference. And if you'll have it, we can do it together." He stares deep into my eyes as if searching for my answer.

"I..." I don't know what it is that's preventing me from just saying yes to what feels like the easiest option.

He notices the hesitation. "It's okay, you don't have to say anything right now. Just promise me that you'll give it a chance, though? If after, say, two weeks, you can't see yourself staying here with me, we can figure out what to do next."

"That sounds like a good idea." I'm relieved that he's not insistent. As usual, he's heartbreakingly patient and respectful of me.

So then over the next few days I start to tag along to whatever it is that Eryx does. He spends an awful lot of time conversing with others. My command over Gra'marian is less than elementary at its best so Eryx translates during meetings, making sure I can understand what's happening and others can understand me. I assure him it's really not necessary and that I'm okay with not contributing, but there are a few times I rethink it when I share my thoughts and I see thoughtful nods around the table. Oftentimes my opinion sways the room when it comes to actual decision making, and I try to convince myself that I don't enjoy it.

In the evenings we go on walks around the city. Some days we travel to other areas or he shows me around and tells me about his memories growing up. I get to experience more of Gra'marian culture, to see what it's like to live as a Gra'marian citizen. I get used to eating traditional fare and I even learn how to do my hair up in the traditional way.

The more time I spend with him, the more my affection for him grows.

When the two week mark comes, Eryx doesn't mention it to me - and I don't mention it either. Honestly, the routine between us feels good.

I stop counting days. I start to pick up some more Gra'marian, to the point where I can pick out parts of conversation with Anya and Lussen. In fact, my linguistic abilities advance quickly, and I can't help but speculate that it's Re'aila's blessing over me, her life energy that's enabling me to recall a language that was never mine.

I begin spending time with Gra'marians, fully expecting to be ostracized for the way that I look. To my surprise, I'm embraced by many of the families. Some treat me with distrust, just as I expected, but many still are quick to invite me into their homes.

They know who I am and my connection to the royal line, and when I start trying to communicate with them in my broken Gra'marian they're very gracious about it. Eryx spends a lot of his time working with the military and taking care of diplomatic matters, and so I stop entreating him to accompany me on these trips. Instead I opt to go with Asa, who I grow close to. Some days I get to take Byrne. I don't have the guts to go by myself but soon enough some Gra'marians begin to greet me when they see me walking outside.

On my visits I can tell that they appreciate being listened to, and I bring back all the insight I learn to those meetings with Eryx and the elders. I think of Hes and Awvag and Era often as I make my suggestions, and though my heart still aches with every memory, it feels like the difference I make helps my heart feel not so broken. When I'm by myself I find myself thinking of what can be done to benefit the people.

It feels good.

I thought that Gra'marah would be resistant to any change, given all that I'd learned about this place while here. What I learn, though, is that the people have been hungering for change. As much as I've grown to deeply care for the tall, grim ex-general of the once-powerful King Azrath, there's one flaw of his that I don't think he fully realizes. In fact, it's a part of his character that was the exact same as that of Azrath's.

They both, high in status as they were, were never really able to see things for how they were. What Eryx had told me was a 'recent change' in the Gra'marian public was actually just the spillover of a simmering dissent that's been brewing for years. He had just never seen things for how they were.

The more I talk to the country's citizens, the more I learn about their wants, and the more I feel confident that things are going in a good direction.

Time seems to pass quickly, and the first time that the elders use the words king and queen to refer to Eryx and I, presiding over the country, I nearly forget to protest.

It's Anya, though, that quiets my objection, when she places her hand over mine. "We see what you do for Gra'marah, Selene. We recognize you as the heir to the throne."

"Eryx is mostly just there for decoration, anyways," Geralo adds with a bark of laughter, and there are snickers all around the table. I look around to see the encouragement in their eyes, despite the joke at Eryx's expense.

I slowly nod, emboldened by their sincerity and allowing the weight of the title sink in. "Okay. Then, let us discuss official matters."

We continue talking about smoothing out the new deal with the Eastern Isles, and when I turn to my left I see Eryx looking at me with equal parts amusement and adoration. I feel heat rise in my cheeks. It's that way for the rest of the meeting, until the very end when he's outright grinning at me while I try my best to ignore his presence.

I head back to Eryx's room - our room, now, I suppose - in a rush, feeling just a bit embarrassed for what happened. Eryx slips in after me, and I press my hands over my eyes. "What was that about?" I exclaim, halfway indignant but also glad for his presence.

He slips his hands over my cheeks and then his lips are pressed firmly onto mine. We topple backwards, so I have to support my upper body with my elbows. "Mm!" I let out a sound of surprise. His stubble scratches against my chin.

He pulls away, and that same grin is on his face.

"What is it?" I moan, wishing he'd say something to explain his odd behavior.

"My queen," he says in Gra'marian, dropping his lips to mine once again.

"Stop it!" I laugh, thumping my fists against his chest.

His body is over mine, and his face is to mine, the smile still there. When he speaks, his voice is soft. "I knew that your heart was being swayed, but I was too scared to ask you for a real answer. What if you said no?"

"What are you talking about?" I know what he's talking about, but I need him to say it.

"You're accepting being queen, your birthright. You're accepting Gra'marah, your home. And you're accepting me." His voice grows softer still, until it's just a whisper.

I match his tone and answer him, this time in Gra'marian. "You're my home."

And it's true. I can't fathom another reality.

He presses his lips against mine, once. Briefly. Pulls back. I raise my lips to mash them to his, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him closer to me. He makes a sound of approval, deepening our kiss and settling a hand on my waist.

I wrap my legs around his lower body as he pulls away, staring up at him and pressing my lips together.

He groans. "Have I ever told you what those big eyes does to me?"

"Many times." I can't help the bubble of laughter that comes out. "But you can always show me?"

"Again?" Eryx smirks, pulling away completely so he can begin undressing. "How many times will I need to show you?"

"I don't know," I say, trying my best to hide the hunger I know that's in my eyes as his body comes into view. "It might take a whole lifetime. Just to make sure I really understand."

"It's a mission I'm willing to take," he says, pouncing on me so I give a yelp of surprise and we both fall into a fit of laughter. He undoes the tie of my robe and slips one of the sides off my shoulder. I see the desire in his eyes as he feasts on the sight of my body. "I'll need more than a lifetime to fully enjoy you."

"Take all the time you need."

And as his mouth lowers back over mine, the only thought in my head is that things feel right.