Not Quite a White Knight Bk. 03 Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

To change the subject off of sex games I asked Resha, if she had the power, what would she wish for her child's daddy and his father.

Resha said that to preserve both her faith and the peace of the Patron's home, she really could not answer that question out loud. But for the sake of her child, she hoped neither low-life creature was ever part of his life. (This was the first time I learned the child was male, named Sig.) She really did not want any money from them, her self respect was more important. Admittedly, that was possible only because of her job and her child's two grandmothers who helped her care for the child. "Plus the safe place where I now live," she said with a smile at me. It was a great weight off of her mind. (She never asked what happened to the two Scorpions who briefly interrupted the move. Maybe that it was also a Hindu thing.) In theory, if her child's father and grandfather were both dead as she expected, she admitted she would not turn down a life insurance settlement, if there was one out there waiting to be collected. For the child's sake. She would look at it as a final attempt to make amends, and so would accept it.

That was a very good idea, in fact with the basketball contract the little shit was very insurable today. The father would have to be removed, but that was trivial. I wondered if they would co-operate. It could be sport to play them against each other, the old "two men, one knife" blood game. Or not... there was one sure way to make a life insurance policy pay off. It was mainly a question of choice, there were so many ideas. Plus I like to do good things for my special friends when I can.

-

Chapter 20. Blood Test Results

Friday July 11, 2008

At 4 o'clock my cell phone alarm went off, there were no bars but I needed some of the apps including the alarm clock. Besides, who wears a watch these day? It was time to call the hospital for the blood test results, so I went up to the "widow's walk" on top of the hacienda with my sat-phone and called the hospital.

The results were as Mer expected - there were two extra, never authorized, drugs that were killing the Chief. They matched the log of sample pills Mer had sent with the blood as the two that were not on the list of prescribed meds. I ordered that Rigo be given the paperwork for the results, he was waiting for it while hitting on every cute nurse in the place. He was to fly to the tribe right now, arriving just after 5 o'clock. We had a show to put on and he was closing the second act.

One of the added drugs caused some depression and decreased alertness, not a big deal by itself but it was a load on the kidneys and "dulled" the patient's general mental sharpness and attention to details, making them suggestible. The second drug was usually given to inhibit the heart for young folks with an irregular heartbeat, but some older women took it as well. These drugs were NOT intended for older men or any patients at altitude, I assumed a lie had been used to get the scripts. (I was wrong, it was complicated and insidious.)

While not normally fatal by themselves, when combined with one of the Chief's prescribed drugs the heartbeat drug caused serious breathing problems for a man of age and at altitude like my Grandfather. They were never prescribed together. Besides getting him off the drug the doctor's urgent suggestion was to get Grandfather on oxygen or to a lower level, or both, and stop the drugs. He would recover "in days or less" if that happened. When I asked about speeding recovery he checked kidney function and then said a saline drip would speed the process of flushing the poison, and it would be even faster with something added to the IV. Did we have a nurse handy?

We would soon - the helicopter pilot.

Rigo had been trained as a medic in the Cuban military, medicine is one of the things Cuba does a better-than-average job at. He was more capable at general medicine than a nurse was. While serving in the military he was sent into the US twice before 9-11 to fetch Cuban operatives with medical problems who could not use a doctor or a hospital without the FBI calling. Both made a full recovery in Cuba and Rigo was decorated by Fidel's brother.

Most of the Patron's men in military service "retire" by driving off in a truck or jeep borrowed from their job. When Rigo retired from the Cuban military a jeep would not help. So he decided to help himself to an old Guided Missile Patrol Boat that was slated for sale to a warlord in Africa. Rigo figured the Africans could not pay for it, and would only cause trouble if they got it, and it would likely break down in transit so it would wind up as a shipping hazard. Plus it looked like a sweet ride. So Rigo saved many people the hassle and used it for his retirement ride home. He said that it was amazing the places where a guy with a medic's haz-mat suit and large biohazard bags is allowed to pass without challenge. How to get the crew to leave? Whisper "contagion" a little too loud to the captain, it works every time, no matter how brave folks are. The boat, renamed "Rigo Brava" is now camouflaged a few miles down river from the Colony, they patrol with in regularly. The light, fast boat carries four freaking Styx missiles that can each sink a cruiser 40 miles away, so imagine what they would do to any Brazilian or Peruvian patrol that comes sniffing around. Those guys always cruise with radar active so our patrols can see them a long way away, long before they see us.

Once the doc at the hospital was convinced that Rigo knew his business he gave Rigo the IV bags and the extra meds needed. Then Rigo was off.

Mer had kept a record of when each drug was taken. Both of the added drugs, along with three essential drugs, were scheduled for 5 o'clock.

Over the next 15 minutes Marta and I talked on the com units to work out a plan. We needed to get both the Chief and Grisha to the hacienda for their health; which would have very different outcomes. For the Chief an oxygen tent would be set up. Grisha would meet some folks who facilitated conversation.

Marta or Mer would give Grandfather the 5 o'clock drugs but would palm the troublemakers. Then the Chief would fake an attack and Marta would insist on bringing him down from the mountain at my order. They could not use the tribe's small helicopter since Grandfather had to recline, but the MASH helicopter was originally designed (M*A*S*H) for these jobs. Grisha would insist on coming along so Marta would call for Rigo on her com. He would land by the chief's home. Rigo would carry the Chief on the copter's stretcher with Grisha and Marta in the seats. Normally that load would be too heavy to climb safely, but after the round trip to the hospital, fuel would be low (less weight) plus the copter would be dropping altitude. Rigo's bag held a needle with some cuare for Grisha, for everybody's comfort.

Kwool would follow with Mer and Pur; for that load she would only have enough fuel in her tank for a one-way trip. Irene would stay on the mountain overnight, securing Grandfather's bed and home on my order. Irene would also check Grisha's home. With the excitement dinner might be a bit later than the Patron had planned. I went to him to clear the plan that was already in motion.

After he heard what was going on the Patron was furious, he was okay with shooting Grisha in the head as soon as she landed, but I wanted our interrogators to have a longer talk with her to see who else was involved. Why kill the flea when we wanted the rat? Plus, I insisted that shooting was too good for her, when the time came I expected her to beg for the "buzzards buffet" where the tribe does punishments. The Patron asked about shooting to wound, but I said that meant extra cleanup. We had people who could get medieval on her - and it was my right to do so if I got the Council's permission. He agreed, and said that his friend would probably want to dictate a longer form of punishment.

The Patron knew that the tribe only exercised one form of punishment, a short step to eternity.

The tribe knew nothing of water-boarding, which left no wounds and was hard to detect afterward. Plus, if Grisha's testimony was to be used, the council members would feel bad if there were physical signs of torture. On the other hand, a few of our soldiers were experts in water-boarding, trained by the CIA to be some of the best in Latin America. We would have answers in a few hours, long before anybody died.

Although by then Grisha might wish for death.

At about 5:21 Rigo called in, he was "heavy" and coming in hot for an emergency landing to the hacienda. A needle had connected with Grisha. He landed smoothly a few moments later. As soon as the Chief, Marta and Grisha got off Rigo lifted off to his base and Kwool dropped in, carrying Mer and Pur. I had called to Pur on the phone line to bring the Chief's 7-day "Pill Minder" which Grisha filled every day, so he had his prescribed medicines.

I learned later that Marta had slipped the cuare shot to Mer to do the honors, as a reward for Mer's discovery of the problem and worked out the plan. Marta said to her, "My father said my daughter-in-law can have this honor, and I agree." Mer slipped the shot to Grisha in the copter before takeoff, injecting her like a nurse so the witch hardly felt it. Grisha was already strapped in her seat and was surprised as she became paralyzed. She did not complain. This was the purest cuare, refined, amplified and slightly accelerated by our German scientists. We have faster mixes, but sometimes those go too far and relax the lungs, which limits the conversations we planned for afterwards. We didn't want Grisha to miss anything for the rest of her short, miserable life.

Once they were all on the ground at the hacienda Pur and Mer eased Grisha into a wheelbarrow that smelled of manure. She was carted away to a soundproof building where she met the Garcia brothers we called the "honesty twins." They made her comfortable tied securely to a plank at the proper angle, and explained that the ropes were to keep her from falling off. When the drug wore off they gave her plenty to drink and asked a few simple questions. Repeatedly. They eventually got, and double-checked, her answers.

Meanwhile the rest of us who were involved, including the Patron, gathered in the Chief's room. I took Gracie with me, and the Patron invited Ernie's family. Also, all the indians in earshot, about a dozen, came running when they heard the choppers coming down from the tribe.

Marta's hands were quick and sure in making her father comfortable in an oxygen tent. Mer and Pur helped, they obviously knew some things after watching so long. Marta signaled "no" to the catheter, she had faith in her father.

Starting the oxygen was like erasing years from Grandfather's face in minutes. Then Rigo set up the IV drip with an agent that helped his body discard the remaining poison at a accelerated rate. The poisons were already at the daily low point and due for replenishment.

Within an hour his pale skin pinked up and is heart rate returned to a rock steady normal. All other signs were good. With the enriched air at higher pressure, plus all the people he liked to see, he was much more alert and getting better with every minute. He asked, seriously, if he had missed something and had passed beyond. Most of the others people left him to rest, but a few of us stayed to talk now that he was in better spirits.

He had not understood the play-acting when Marta told him to cough and fake a medical attack, plus he hardly had the strength, but if Marta and I both thought something was a good idea, he was willing to place his life in our hands.

As we stood there the Patron bid Mer to explain her suspicions and her evidence. Mer insisted that equal credit belonged to Pur. First they spotted the two extra drugs he was getting. Both knew the Chief well, they noticed his sudden lack of a reaction (no erection) when he started the new drugs. But they did not understand how, they thought all medicine was good, so all they could do was gather data and hope. Mer made a very cogent and clear presentation while Pur held up the evidence. I really was amazed at how well the girls worked together.

I could not help but think that in two years, I would be married to them. I could hardly wait.

Rigo explained about the blood draw and the quick helicopter trip Grandfather's blood took to the hospital for tests. When that was done I presented the hospital's findings I had gotten from Rigo. Thanks to the girls' efforts, they had samples of every drug involved so the techs were very quick in identifying what was in his blood that did not belong. It also helped that he had been tested extensively for toxins and metals three months ago, those tests showed low environmental traces at steady levels so there was no question about the problem.

Clearly these were smart girls, they would do well in US schools. I would see them educated properly, sooner rather than later.

When all was presented the Patron praising Mer for saving his dearest friend's life. Mer insisted it was a joint effort "with her friend, who deserved equal credit."

The next question was where the two drugs came from. Since Mer knew what they were she told Irene - still in the Chief's home - to find and read the bottles.

It seemed that Grisha never expected to be questioned about her care so she did not hide the evidence. Irene called on the com and reported finding the drugs where Mer spotted them, in their pharmacy bottles, in the locked cabinet with the Chief's refills of regular drugs. The labels showed the two drugs had been prescribed over 4 months ago by a doctor the Chief never saw. One was written for a senior women on the council, and the second, the more dangerous heart medicine, had the name of a niece to a second senior council member. The niece would be 15, but she had died a decade ago in an accident. I said that all three of the senior council women had to be questioned about the conspiracy; the three crones did everything together.

Kwool mentioned that 4 or 5 months ago all three of the older council women had gone on an overnight trip to the hospital for a physical using the more modern helicopter (the Patron's Huey) with Jay flying. That made sense timewise, we knew that 6 months ago Nia spent an active night with the Chief and both were well-satisfied with the very physical efforts. Pur confirmed some other "active night visitors" in the next few weeks. It was four months ago when things seemed to take a turn and quickly Grisha took over the Chief's life for medical reasons. A month later, when he returned from a routine trip to the hospital, he started the second medicine. Things got worse.

Some of the other indians present speculated for a few minutes. Three months ago was when Tango's wedding solidified this week as the time I would make a presentation about my plan for the future. Kwool said that the tension level in the tribe shot up at the time, wondering what changes I would mandate. One concern was that I would limit the power of woman, and the woman's council. The greatest stress was felt by the three oldest women on the council, they were concerned about both the council's power and their own positions. Each of the three had won election by less than 5 votes in the last election.

All members of the tribe over 16 were allowed to vote but only women could run. Since the last election these women had lost a number of their older supporters, with the loss of votes they feared the younger voters might turn them out at the next election. Pur said that was likely. The other 4 council members were secure and were excited about a change to a more modern lifestyle.

There were four indians in the colony that were planning to return to Detroit with Marta, she considered them very loyal to her. So we dispatched them to help Irene secure the Chief's quarters overnight. The indians took the chair-lift up, they knew the route and would make good time, so there was no need for a helicopter in the dark and the associated risk.

I suggested that, while I would dearly love to skin Grisha alive, now that my Chief was safe I would pursue justice instead of revenge. The Chief would show his face tomorrow, but for now he accepted the Patron's invitation for a few days at the hacienda "with his grandson and the mothers of his future great grandchildren."

That seemed to satisfy all concerned. We were sure that Grisha would confirm and expand what we knew during her overnight conversations with the truth brothers. They had that effect on folks.

With that the Patron called us to dinner, his cook was pleased that we were on time. The Patron made a point of inviting Kwool to join us, since she had been helpful during the day.

The Chief really needed to stay in the room with his oxygen tent and the IV, to build his strength back and flush the drugs. But he was looking much better, was alert, and was clearly more active than when I had seen him this morning. It was also clear to me that he wanted some privacy with Marta, she was not shy but he had words that were just for her. Marta said she would feed him and see to his other needs overnight. We had no doubt that would include a very pleasant test of his strength, Marta and her father really loved each other and they expressing such love as they could.

Pur and Mer promised to check in, they had seen things during the afternoon and hoped to see more, but did not want to be a bother. Marta stressed that "as family, they were allowed."

The Patron said Kwool could sleep in Marta's room tonight, and asked Gracie, who had the adjacent room, to show her the way after dinner.

The seating chart for dinner put Cynthia, Pur, Gracie, Mer and Belen in order.

When we were all seated at the table the Patron made the formal introductions. He had me stand up, then mentioned that Gracie, Cynthia and Belen all were "eating for two" now, thanks to my efforts in expanding the bloodlines. He was clearly very happy with me. He also introduced Mer and Pur as my future wife and her special companion, as is customary with the tribe.

Resha found herself seated next to the Patron. As I expected he was clearly fascinated with her appearance. She was introduced as a co-worker of mine who would help with Tango's party. Frida was a child of the community and her daughter was here hoping to learn more of her roots. They would stay with Frida's parents. Rigo was not there but the Patron had Kwool seated on the other side of Resha - to stand up as he mentioned how the pilots each contributed to the long eventful day. There were more than a half-dozen other tribe members and about twice that many from the colony present.

Dinner at the Hacienda is a long affair. As the dinner was winding down, about 4 hours after the Chief arrived, there was a faint cry from Marta, from the room with the oxygen tent. Mer and Pur almost jumped up, in case help was required, but I told them to stay. What we heard was a cry of joy and the words "My Father is STRONG!" in the indian tongue. Those who understood the significance blushed. The Patron and I shared a glance, we half expected Marta to join us naked, dripping with proof of her father's fast recovery.

The others were told that it seemed the Chief was recovering much faster than expected, with Marta's help and encouragement. It was all good.

-

Chapter 21. Sleeping Arrangements

Friday July 11, After Supper

It was after dark when we finished eating. Since so many people had to be up working at dawn they would be in bed within a half hour. I saw Belen head of to the Patron's room while Ernie walked with his arm around his daughter, who was in a very good mood. Gracie did not have a problem with me leaving her alone, she wanted to talk to Kwool (about me, no doubt) so I figured I would see them later. I sent Mer and Pur to their room, adjacent to where the Chief slept. There was a connecting doorway. I asked, "Are you aware of the saying 'don't come knocking when the house is a rocking.' It is American."