Only You

Story Info
Once they-connect, they realize what they almost lost.
27.1k words
4.85
19.1k
43
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

ONLY YOU

This one is for the Winter Holidays Story Contest 2022. As always, your votes and comments are much appreciated. Hope you enjoy this. And Best Wishes for the Holidays!

Just so you know, everyone involved with each other in this story, is over the age of eighteen.

©2022 Smuttyandfun

I could feel a smile spreading across my face, even as I slept. It was that dream again. Remembering back to that magical night that we'd first made love. It was late fall, and the air was cool as we snuggled together under a blanket on the beach. The campfire Russell had made to try to keep us warm was burning down, casting a soft orange glow over our faces as we gazed into each other's eyes.

I was so happy, thinking how perfect the night had turned out, and how close we'd become. Russell cupped my face in his hands and kissed me as he lowered me onto my back...

Suddenly, my forehead wrinkled and my nose started twitching as the smoke filled the air, and I wondered why the fire was smoking. It was like someone had doused it with water. I opened my eyes and sat up in bed.

Oh my god, this was no dream. I could smell smoke!

I shot out of bed, threw on some slippers, grabbed my robe and ran into my sister's room. "Meg!" I screamed, shaking her awake. "There's a fire! We have to get out!"

Following close behind, Meg almost tripped over me when I stopped to feel the door to see if it was hot. It felt okay, so I carefully pulled it open and peeked out, relieved that I couldn't see any smoke. "Come on, let's go." I nodded for her to follow, and we hurried down the side staircase that led out onto the street.

We were standing together on Main Street in front of our hair salon and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, as we both broke into tears.

Our town's little church was fully engulfed, with flames shooting up from the roof into the night sky.

"Oh, no. Not the church." We both sobbed, clinging to each as we watched it burn.

We could hear the fire trucks rumbling up the street with their sirens blaring, as the front windows shattered, with flames licking at the old brick walls.

Everyone in town seemed to be out watching. Old Mrs. Wilson, noticing we were only in our robes, came and put a quilt over our shoulders as we held each other and shivered.

"I was baptised, and married in that old church. And so were my parents," she told us, sadly shaking her head.

"I think we were all baptised in there, Mrs. Wilson," my sister said, hiccupping and wiping at her eyes. And everyone in our family was married and buried from that old church, too.

As the wind picked up, feeding the flames, everyone was brushing away tears, even the men, as we all watched the fire consume the heart of our town.

"There's not much we can do out here. And I'm sure the firemen will do whatever they can to try and save what's left of it. So, I'm going home. It's too cold to stand around out here," Mrs. Wilson said, giving us both an affectionate little pat on the back, before she headed around the corner to her house.

"We should probably go back upstairs. We can see it from the window. And at least we'll be warm," I said. My sister silently nodded and followed me back up.

We watched for a while from our front window, and when they seemed to be getting it under control, we both heaved a shaky sigh and decided we might as well go back to bed.

Our mother called in the morning as I was getting dressed. "I hope you girls are both okay. I only heard about the fire this morning. I can't believe we slept through the whole thing. But of course, your father just got back last night," she said with a little laugh.

"I'm glad to hear he's back."

"He won't be here for long, but it's still nice to have him home. From what I heard about the church, it seems that most of the damage was confined to the front entry way, and of course the roof will have to be replaced. The mayor's already talking about doing some fund-raising to get the repairs done. When I heard, I felt so sorry for Mavis, the church secretary. Apparently, she forgot to send the check in to pay the insurance, so there's nothing to cover the damage."

"Oh, that is too bad. She must feel terrible. But I think if everyone in town puts their heads together, I'm sure we can think of a few ways to raise some money," I said, already thinking about what we could do at our salon.

While Meg and I sat and had our coffee at our kitchen table, my sister and I decided that we could donate at least one day a week's profits to the church fund.

"I think Saturday would work best," I suggested, because it was always our busiest day, with weddings and parties, and everyone wanting their hair and nails done for the weekend.

One nice thing about living in a small town is we all knew each other, and knew we could count on each other, too.

Monday evening, I couldn't believe the crowd that showed up. The hockey arena was jam packed. Seemed that everyone had an idea on how to raise some money. I thought Mayor Wilkens was clever to have come prepared with a gavel that he could bang on the table. Then at least everyone would get a chance to talk, without being drowned out by all the other ideas being shouted.

I noticed dear old Miss Lizzie and her sister Miss Annie had their hands up to speak. When she was finally called upon, Miss Lizzie straightened her spine, cleared her throat, and we stood staring at her wide-eyed as she gave her suggestion. "I think we should have a dance, and all us single ladies could charge a dollar a dance. When our brothers were away in the war we raised quite a bit of money, just from holding Saturday evening soirees."

Everyone in the room looked away as they struggled to keep a straight face, as we pictured the two old dears all dolled up, wearing their dancing shoes. Still, it was sweet of them to think they had a solution, especially considering they were almost ninety.

I had to give credit to Mayor Wilkens, who somehow managed, without so much as smiling, to say, "Thank you ladies, we'll put that on the list." Though everyone could tell that he was as amused as we were.

We noticed a table against the wall where everyone was signing up to let the re-build committee know what we were offering to do.

Looking over the list, I saw that Cindee from Cindee's Sweets was offering to bake her famous Ranger cookies and also make little bags of fudge, that she'd put on a separate display in her shop for the cause. Ed's garage was generously offering the profits from every oil change. And Mable's florist was offering to donate any money she made on Thanksgiving table arrangements.

It looked like nearly every business owner in town had agreed to do something to help raise whatever funds they could. Problem was, our town was just so small I knew it would take forever to get the roof back on the church, never mind get the repairs done inside, with all of us contributing just a few dollars at a time.

I happened to look over at the stage, where we'd performed as kids, when my sister and I both did our dance recitals, and got an idea. "Hey, why don't we do something like a concert, and advertise it all around the county. I'm sure we could sell a lot of tickets if we could talk a few talented people into entertaining everyone. It would be fun night, too."

Meg followed my gaze, and started to nod, probably picturing all the different acts up on the stage. "I think that's a great idea, Lacey. And I'm wondering if R.J. would consider coming back, even just to sing a song or two. If we had someone that famous as our headliner, I'd bet we'd get people from all over the state, never mind just the county, scrambling to get tickets. And I'm sure they'd be willing to pay good money to see someone as talented as he is, performing live."

I was already shaking my head. "I really doubt that he'd want to come back to help out. He's been gone so long I don't think he even remembers where his roots are anymore."

Smirking, she nudged me, giving me a wiggle of her eyebrows. "Well, back in the day, you two were pretty close. And if anyone could talk him into it, you could."

"Meg, Russell's been gone for almost three years. And even when he has popped back into town to see his family, he's never even bothered to stop in and say hello."

The smile left her face as she stroked my arm, looking kind sorry for me. "Yeah, you're right. He's probably too wrapped up in his career to care much about what happens in our little one-horse town."

"Besides, I wouldn't know how to call him, even if I wanted to. When he moved to California, he changed his cell number. And it's not like I could just phone Hollywood and ask to speak to R.J. McCabe. And I wouldn't want to call his family, or they'd think I was trying to stalk him." Though I wasn't about to tell her that when he left, I was the one that told him to forget about us, and just look ahead to his future.

Meg shrugged. "Well, even if a movie star like R.J. wouldn't be interested, I still think it's a great idea. And I'm sure we'd make a heck of a lot more with a concert than we ever could cutting hair."

When we mentioned our idea to the ladies at the sign-up desk, as they looked at each other, their eyes lit up and they started to smile. Betty-Ann was so excited at the prospect, she had her arm waving in the air, trying to get the mayor's attention, before I'd even finished what I saying. "I think we should call the mayor over to hear this," she said, waving frantically.

After we'd explained it to him, the mayor chuckled and tapped his temple. "Good thinking, girls. Now that's an idea that could really bring in some money. Then we'd be getting people from all over donating, and wouldn't have to rely on the good folks of Walkerton to raise every cent we need. We'll just have to see what kind of talent we can find, that people would want to pay to see." Tapping his chin, he looked kind of thoughtful. "You know, I've got a brother, lives down south, who's really good on the banjo. And he'd probably be happy to perform with his band."

"Sure. I guess we can start on a list, and see who else we can find," I said.

***

Our first fundraising Saturday, mom had come to help us out in the shop. Though she couldn't stand for hours, like she used to back in the day, when she ran the place, she was more than happy to help out with the line up we had waiting for manicures. I don't think we'd ever been as busy, with everyone wanting to have their hair and nails done, knowing that every cent would be going to repair the church.

I was almost finished styling Miss Ivy's silky white hair, and noticed she was smiling at me kind of funny in the mirror. Until she let me know why, when she pointed over her shoulder. I looked up in the mirror and nearly dropped the scissors when I saw her grandson Russell, smiling back at me, with a teasing glint in his eye.

She grinned. "Maybe you could give my grandson a trim after you're done with me."

I was about to say that my sister would be happy to help him, when he walked around me and put a wad of bills in the donation jar that I had sitting on my table. "Long time no see," he whispered in my ear, making me suck in a breath as he came and stood right behind me, keeping his eyes on mine in the mirror. Now I just hoped I didn't do something crazy, like cut his poor grandmother's ear off, he had me so rattled.

"Yeah, it's been quite a while." I nodded, as I showed his grandmother the back of her hair with a hand mirror, once I'd brushed off her neck and gave her a little spritz of hair spray.

"Oh, that looks really nice. Thank you, sweetheart," she said, adding a few more bills to the jar, before she took a seat behind us to wait for her grandson to drive her home.

I had to try to remember how to breathe when Russell took her place, and sat his fine ass down in my chair.

Somehow, I managed to ask, "Do you want it washed first?"

He shook his head, flashing me a smile. "No, I had shower just before I came, so it's probably still a little damp. And I don't need much off, just a bit of a trim."

"Okay." I nodded as I ran my hands through his thick coppery-brown hair. God, just touching his hair again, brought it all back. The way we'd kiss with our hands going everywhere, and losing ourselves as our clothes came off.

"You're looking really good, Lacey," he murmured, making my head pop up, as I looked in the mirror and wanted to groan when I saw that not only was I blushing, but I could see my nipples almost poking right through my T-shirt. Just thinking about the things we used to love to do with each other, whenever we'd managed to find a way to be alone together, was a enough to get me all tingly.

I tried to be flippant, not wanting him to know how nervous he was making me. "Well, you look okay for a guy who's been living the high life for the last few years. What brought you home, anyway?"

He nodded at my sister. "Your sister called my grandmother and mentioned the show you two are trying to put together." He chuckled looking back at his grandmother, chatting with a group of ladies. "Of course, then my gran called me and told me I had to come home to save the church."

I stopped combing his hair, and just stared at his reflection. "Are you saying that you're willing to perform?"

He shrugged. "Of course. I'm happy to do whatever I can. Like everyone else in town, our family has a lot of history in that old place."

I started coming his hair, and decided I'd better get back to it, and got busy trimming.

Thinking back, I had been so madly in love with him, it felt almost surreal just to be able to touch him again.

Luckily, he didn't really need a haircut, so I didn't take much off, and didn't have to spend much time on him.

Good thing too, with the way my hands were shaking, or he might have been the one losing an ear.

Once he was done, and I brushed away the hair and took the cape off him, he got to his feet. Flashing me a sexy grin, he wiggled his eyebrows and looked me over from head to toe. "It really is good to see you again, Lacey."

"Yeah, you too, Russell."

I noticed then that everyone in the shop was buzzing as they watched us, and most of them had their phones out taking pictures. Not that I could blame them. It wasn't every day that one of the biggest heart-throbs in Hollywood wandered into our little town, never mind our salon.

"Since you two seem to be doing the planning, we should probably get together and see what we have to do to get this thing going," he suggested.

I just nodded, not even sure what to say. Because I honestly wasn't too sure if I could sit and talk with him, without embarrassing myself.

My breath stalled in my chest when he leaned in, brushed a kiss across my cheek, gave me a little squeeze around the waist, and murmured, "I'll give you a call, and we can set something up." He winked. "And thanks for the haircut."

I watched him walk around and say hello to everyone, including my mother and sister. After agreeing to pose for a few pictures, and sign a few autographs, he gave me a little wave, walked out the door with his grandmother, and he was gone.

While I stood trying to absorb what had just happened, my sister Meg walked over to my station, and I guess seeing the stunned look on my face, asked, "Lacey, are you okay?"

I shrugged. "Sure, why wouldn't I be?" It's not like I'd just had an encounter with the only man I'd ever loved, that I'd thought I'd never set eyes on again.

When I took the next customer, I barely heard a word she was saying as she pointed here and there, explaining how she wanted her hair styled. Since all I could think of was those teasing green eyes smiling back into mine.

Finally, she turned around in the chair and looked at me, worried. "Lacey, you look a little distant. Are you alright?"

I nodded and started cutting her hair. "Yeah, I'm great." At least I would be, if I could ever get him out of my head.

Mondays were always slow. Whenever we had a few minutes between clients, my sister Meg and I would often take the time to wash and trim each other's hair.

Once Meg was done styling mine, checking out my reflection in the mirror, I noticed she'd really done a nice job. Though I wore my strawberry-blonde hair long, the layered cut she gave me really gave it some bounce. "Thanks, Meg. It looks great."

I had just taken off the cape, and was shaking it out, when she dropped the bomb. Eyeing me nervously, she winced. "I probably should have mentioned before that R.J. phoned the shop this morning. And I suggested that he come by our place tonight so we can put our heads together and come up with some ideas for the concert."

Though I wondered why she'd waited all day to tell me, it was probably just as well, or I would have been a nervous wreck watching the hours tick by till it was time to go home and face him.

That night, since Meg had offered to make dinner, I took a little extra time getting ready. Not that I was going out of my way to dress up for him, or anything. At least that's what I told myself as I frantically rifled through my closet, searching for the perfect thing to wear.

Finally deciding to slip into my skin-tight black leather pants and vee-neck body-hugging white sweater, that showed a little cleavage, I just hoped it wasn't too much. Especially once I'd added my sexiest high heels, that I rarely had a chance to wear, since I never went out anywhere fancy much.

I noticed as I finished with my makeup, whatever Meg was making sure did smell good. And no surprise, the moment I walked in the kitchen my stomach started growling.

I could see that everything was pretty well ready. Though I was surprised she was finishing off a couple of nice thick bacon-wrapped filets. Considering, we were always watching our pennies, trying to save enough to buy the building, so we could stop paying rent.

Meg jumped when she turned her head and saw me watching her. "Um... dinners ready."

"I know, and it smells great."

Once she plated the steaks with a couple of twice-baked potatoes and some grilled asparagus and mushrooms, she pointed at the table, that for some reason she'd set with our best dinnerware.

"Oh, you'll never guess who called," she said, as she opened the bottle of red wine, of all things. I couldn't tell you the last time we'd enjoyed wine with dinner, which had me thinking that something fishy was going on. Then she confirmed it, when she smiled and, "Toby Blackmore just phoned and invited me out for dinner." She playfully waggled her eyebrows. "And this'll be our third date."

Confused, I looked at the two plates of food and back up at her. "But what about the dinner you just made us?"

Just then there was a knock on our door. And the way Meg started grinning, I realized it was a set up, especially once she'd ushered Russell inside and walked him over to the table.

Even just in jeans a button-down gray shirt, he had movie star written all over him. There was no getting around it, he really was gorgeous.

"Well, I'll let you two enjoy your dinner. If you could take some notes Lacey, I'll touch base with you later, about whatever you two manage to come up with for the concert."

I wondered if she could feel my eyes boring into her back as she grabbed her coat and purse and left, with a playful little wave.

I looked over at Russell who was smirking, and knowing when I was beat, I just shook my head and said, "We might as well sit down and eat this before it gets cold."

I noticed he did look surprised though, when he saw the meal that Meg set out for us. "I didn't know I was coming for dinner, or I would have brought some wine and something for dessert. Although, I did get you both a little something."

123456...8