Paying the Piper

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As for Bennett, about 4 months after Rick's death he felt enough time had passed to send Cindy a note. True to Lori's observation, they were no longer lovers, but Bennett was loyal and always tried to be a supportive friend.

He decided one morning to send her a text. It read, "I'm so deeply sorry... B"

A moment later he had her reply, "So am I... goodbye."

They never spoke again.

Michael and Sara had graduated from high school and were now 20 years old and in college. Michael, like his mother, loved people, loved the energy groups of folks enjoying themselves could create so he was at USC studying hospitality and marketing. Sara, was more like her daddy and loved analytics. Making things work, figuring out the solution was what got her out of bed it the morning. She ended up at Stanford studying economics. Even though they had been only 8 when their dad had died, both were deeply hurt by the loss of their father. The idea that "daddy won't be coming home" was crushing for quite a while, but their mom and their grandparents had worked very hard to help them move through their pain and begin to enjoy life. Each of them, in their own way decided part of their motivation in life would be to honor their dad's memory.

It was a warm spring morning as Cindy sat at her desk in her condo. She was sipping a cup of hot black coffee reviewing a new contract for an executive planning retreat when her doorbell rang. When she answered to door she was greeted by Brad Stanton.

"Brad, it has been several months" Cindy said with a smile reaching out to hug him, "It is so good to see you!"

Brad returned the friendly hug but was a bit stiff. "Thank you, Cindy. May I come in and speak with you for a moment?"

Cindy noted there was something in his voice that sounded official. This was not a drop by and catch up with a friend chat. "Of course, Brad, can I get you cup of coffee?"

"No thank you, I can only stay a couple of minutes."

They sat at the kitchen table and Brad began, "Cindy as you know today would have been Rick's 45th birthday." Cindy cringed; she had completely forgotten today was April 7, Rick's birthday. She made a mental note to call the kids as soon as Brad left.

"As you know, before Rick died, he changed his will and left instructions about what he wanted done in the event of his death. Cindy, I will be honest with you and tell you I knew something was up. He was off badly but he wouldn't tell me what was amiss. As his friend I pressed him. As his lawyer I was bound to carry out his directives. He never allowed me to understand or know what was going on... until today."

Cindy's eyes went wide with surprise but also confusion. "What do you mean Brad?"

"Cindy before Rick died, he wrote me a long note, one that he never gave me. This morning at 6 AM sharp there was a loud knocking on my door. When I answered it was a currier with an envelope addressed to me. I didn't recognize the return address, it was some P.O box in Austin, Texas.

I was a bit angry to be bothered so early in the morning, but my curiosity was peaked. I went back to my office and opened it. Inside was a letter from Rick. It was typed and it was 12 pages single spaced. Attached via a paperclip was a handwritten short note from someone named Lori." Cindy was beginning to shake as the hurt, pain and memories began to come back in full force.

Brad continued, "The note simply said, 'please read carefully and follow the instructions... L'. I then began to read Rick's note. The first line was so quintessential Rick, "Hey buddy, get your ass out of bed, I need you to help me finish some incomplete business. Yes, I know it is 6 AM, I told them 6 on the dot sharp and paid a little extra to make sure they were dependable."

"I won't go into the rest of the note in detail Cindy, except to tell you Rick shared everything with me. The whole nine yards in detail." He paused for a moment as he let that sink in. he could see tears beginning to form in her eyes. "I have no idea how you could have done such a thing to a guy as amazing as Rick, a guy who gave you every ounce of his love and devotion. A guy who ultimately gave you his life.

Brad got up and finished his task. Handing Cindy a white letter sized envelope with her name written on it he said, "Cindy, I don't ever want to speak to you again. I'll keep up with Michael and Sara because they are the kids of my best friend. If I see you at a social gathering, I'll be polite, for his sake and theirs, not for yours. But do not ever attempt to contact me in any way. Do you understand me?"

Cindy could barely form a word, but she looked at Brad and said, "Yes, I understand." With that, he turned and left, but as he did so she heard him mutter, "Selfish fucking slut!"

The envelope sat on the table as if daring Cindy to open it. She recognized the handwriting, it was Rick's. It took her a few minutes to muster the courage to open it, but she finally did...

Cindy,

It has been twelve years since the events that led us to this morning. In my last note to you I mentioned that perhaps someday you would hear from me again. Maybe someday the kids would learn what happened to us and to them. Well, today is that day.

1. When I found out Lori had tried to talk you out of fucking Bennett and you ignored her advice I decided to turn to her for help. She is the only person on the planet who knew my intentions. She begged and pleaded with me to not go through with it. She even said I could grab the kids and come stay with her in Austin. Imagine that a woman with true character, I wish I had met her before I laid eyes on you. Anyway, when I refused, she agreed to go along with my wishes.

2. My first request was that she hold this note until today, my 45th birthday. At that point she was to deliver this note along with one for him to Brad promptly at 6 AM. His note instructed Brad to read my letter to him and then deliver this one to you. I had a fallback plan to get this note to you no matter what, but I'm hoping Brad and Lori are in good health and were able to help me complete my work.

3. This morning both Michael and Sara are receiving a similar note from me outlining everything that happened 12 years ago. I left out nothing. Since they are adults now, I believe they have the right to know the truth... all the truth. The statute of limitation for insurance fraud in California is four years so their inheritance is secure. As I mentioned in my previous note to you, they may hate me for this but I'm sure Brad and Lori will help them process what transpired. Good luck to you trying to undo the lies you've told your children for the last twelve years. I'm sure if they are willing to speak to you, they will have more than a few questions.

4. If your mom and my parents are still living, they will receive a similar note as will the partners at my firm.

5. As for Bennett, there will be a full page add in the Santa Barbara News Press today outlining his shenanigans with you. It explains IN DETAIL how the two of you planned and created amazing wedding events all while you were cheating on me, and he was fucking a married woman. The article ends by strongly encouraging folks to take their business elsewhere. I probably can't destroy him, but I sure hope this will make his life miserable for a while. Maybe the two of you can get together (if you're not already) and have a good fuck to ease the pain! By the way, you are named specifically in the article so some friends and colleagues may have some questions for you as well

6. Cindy, almost thirteen years ago, I thought we were as happy and content as any couple could be. It all turned out to be a lie, a tragic lie. So, Cindy, you called the tune, you enjoyed the dance, now it is time to pay the piper... in full!

Rick

Within a few moments of Cindy reading Rick's note her phone began to blow up.

(Side note... 6 months later all three BD properties were sold at a major loss to the owner to an investment group out of Austin... The Templeton Group. Davis Bennett, at age 53 was financially ruined.)

From Edger Allan Poe's The Cask of Amontillado

"At length I would be avenged; this was a point definitely, settled--but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved precluded the idea of risk. I must not only punish but punish with impunity."