Pheonix Shadow

Story Info
Never approach someone without a shadow.
1.1k words
4.37
4.7k
4

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/13/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(AN: This story is a little slow building. This chapter has some sex in it, don't worry, but a little bit of world-building is due before that.)

I plaster a convincing grin on my face as I walk around to wait tables. I hate bright days like this. So many shadows around me whispering into my mind... some louder than others.

It's the loud ones that scare me. Their influence is stronger than the quiet ones. On bright days like today, it's the worst. Shadows stand out vividly like sore thumbs on the ground, and yet no one pays them any mind.

The shadows don't whisper to them. So what did they know?

I was very young when I started hearing whispers in the darkness-the shadows. My parents didn't believe me at first. Then, when I was seven or eight, I told them the 'scary man' next door was going to hurt his wife really bad. My parents brushed it off 'cause I was just a little kid and my current neighbor was actually a pretty nice guy.

He was always saying "hi" to everyone and being friendly, even to me, despite the fact I always ran screaming from him. That night the police were called when screams were heard from our neighbors' house. That man went to jail for brutally killing his wife when he found out she was pregnant. Guess he thought the kid wasn't his or something.

After that, my parents never questioned my abilities and I learned to understand them.

Over the years, I've learned the louder the shadows are, the more likely someone is to act on what the shadows whisper to them. Like the parents I have in my section today.

Their shadows practically boomed for the two to kill their 'annoying' kids. I shudder a bit as I walk up to their table.

"Is there anything else I can get for you today?" I ask with a sweet smile.

"We're fine," sneers the mother, not even looking at me, only glaring at their two teenage daughters across the table from her. Both were oblivious to the glares they are given, looking down at their cell phones while eating their food.

"I can't take this anymore! I will kill them. It will be so simple. They are so disrespectful. They don't deserve the life I gave them. I will do it. I birthed you, damn it! I will take you out of this world!"

Her shadow is so loud my head ached. If I don't stop them from leaving somehow, things were going to get bad. Quickly.

"We're having a special today!" I say happily. "Free dessert for every meal," I offer with a faux smile.

If there's one thing a loud shadow-bearer, like this woman, can't resist, it's the chance to take advantage of someone's kindness. As expected, she sighs and nods, shooing me off to get the desserts.

"Thanks... Phoenix," she sneered, obviously getting my name from my lopsided name tag on my chest.

I bite the inside of my cheek to keep from saying that I prefer Nix. I leave quickly, trying to think of a plan. I could just call the police, but they were starting to get suspicious about all the helpful tips I've been giving them. I hate my power with a passion... but if I can use it to help others, you bet your ass I'm going to.

"Stepping out," I call to the cook, slipping out before the man can shout at me again. I walk quickly over to a phone booth to call the police. I groan as I have to wait for a man already using it to finish talking to his mistress, at least that's what his shadow made it sound like. I tap my foot impatiently, knowing my rouse was up the second the angry parents decided to go ask about their 'free' desserts.

Some people think shadows are their bodies bIt's locking the light around them. I know better, though. I know a shadow is the dark side of their very souls. And they speak loudly to me. They always have.

Finally, the man finishes with his mistress and steps out of the booth quickly. Just as my hand touches the handle for me to step inside, another man comes up behind me to use the same phone. At first, I was too focused on my task to pay him any mind. Then it hit me...

I can't hear his shadow.

There was nothing, only stagnant silence from this man. I slowly glance at the ground. Instead of a grey inkblot on the ground behind him, there was nothing.

No shadow?! Where the fuck was this guy's shadow?!

I force this question out of my mind and step into the booth, calling the police with a little tip to keep an eye at the park near Marigold Lane. After years of getting anonymous tips like this, the dispatcher only agreed to send an officer to patrol the area.

"One of these days we are gonna be able to locate you, you know?" he adds almost playfully. I chuckle a bit. "Not if I can help it," I say before hanging up just as the furious parents walk out of the diner with their two girls. Looks like my boss told them I had lied about the desert thing, or they just got tired of waiting.

I leave the booth, giving the man with no shadow a passing glance. He was about my age, maybe a couple of years older. Twenty-three, twenty-four tops. His bright green eyes met my violet ones before I looked away, darting into the diner. Even after I look away from the man's appearance. Those emerald eyes, long silvery blonde hair that shimmers in the fading sunlight. His skin seemed to glow like starlight and I felt so drawn to him even though I knew he HAD to be bad news. Anyone without a soul couldn't be good... could they? And he was so hot. Those tight jeans left little to the imagination. I could almost see his cock pressed into his leg and if that was any indicator he was very well endowed. I can almost feel his strong arms holding me to his chest, keeping me close as he-no! I need to think clearly! But he's just my type...

Maybe I should try talking to him? Maybe I should.

My thoughts pulled away from the beautiful man when I ran right into my boss who was waiting there, glaring at me. Yep, the parents talked to him. Fuck my life...