Rutland

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I got a lot of grief at work when I strolled in after lunchtime. Everyone knew why and seemed to be genuinely happy for me.

-----

The next day I got a call from my soon-to-be ex wife. She told me the divorce had gone through quickly since it was so simple. I was glad to here that. I didn't want to get personal with her anymore but still asked, "How are things with you?"

She sniffled like she had been holding back crying the whole time. "Not very fucking good. I thought the asshole had money but the lake house we stayed at wasn't even his like he said. It's his Aunt's house. And that Corvette he was driving isn't his either. That's just a car he was allowed to drive around for a while. He has a rusty old Toyota and has a studio in town. He never was planning to stay with me. He just wanted to fuck me as long as he could before I found out he's a fucking loser."

"Oh shit. That sucks. If it makes you feel better, he's going to be even worse off really soon," I said feeling bad that I was smiling. I honestly felt some pity for Ellen.

"No, it doesn't make me feel any better. I fucked up so bad. Why did I leave someone that loved me? I don't care that you live in a trailer. I should have stayed with you but it's too late now. I lost my husband AND my best friend. I know you, you would never let me back into your life after what I did."

"Ellen, I have to tell you something but before I do I want you to know I don't hate you. I'm just very disappointed you destroyed our relationship. Listen, I have to tell you something that might piss you off. It's wicked awesome for me though."

"What is it?" she sniffled.

"When you left me for that dink I was pretty depressed. But now I'm not that sad anymore. I just bought the Neshobe House from Eric Therrien."

Ellen gasped, "What the fuck? How? That's not possible."

"Well Eric is dying. He gave me a nice deal but I already had a ton of money saved. I know this is going to piss you off but I was saving money so I could surprise you by buying a big house. I told you I was going to buy you a big house to raise our kids, remember? I guess you didn't believe me. The shop has been a huge success and I'm becoming very well off."

"Fuck, fuck, fuck, why am I such a fuckup?" she screamed. "I don't suppose you would ever forgive me? I was just stupid and blinded by money."

"Yeah," I said as Ellen breathed in hopefully, "That's never gonna happen. Now that I have money you want me back? That ship has sailed. I might even have a new girlfriend now, so no, sorry."

"I understand," she uttered dejectedly. "How about a job then?"

"Nope, my new girlfriend works there. Not happening. Exs should go no contact unless kids are involved. Thank God that's not a problem. You know today would have been the day I suggested we start trying for a baby. It's just so depressing. I'm sure I'll see you around so maybe you can meet Michelle. I still love your parents so I'll be out to the farm too."

She started crying full on now. "I'm gonna have to live on the farm!!" she screamed.

"I have nothing you prick. You fucking ripped me off. You knew I was losing money in the divorce and you let me do it."

"You're right. I did rip you off. But you threw those divorce papers in my face like you couldn't get away from me fast enough, so tough shit!! I am willing to do one nice thing for you though for old times sake."

"What's that?"

"I'll let you keep the trailer if you want it. It's paid off, you just have to pay lot fees. But I'll still own it. You can go back to waiting tables, that's good money. Maybe you'll meet a sugar daddy there."

"Fuck, the whole reason I left you was to get out of that trailer, and I fucking hate waiting tables!!"

"Good, that sounds like poetic justice," I said in a happy voice.

----

Epilogue:

Michelle won first place at her first show ever. I got second place in the auto category and couldn't be happier. Only four months into our relationship Michelle moved in with me. We each assumed marriage was inevitable. Planning a life together while owning a business is hard to say the least, my time was split unevenly between work and Michelle. We agreed on having at least two kids but we would wait a few years to start so our career timing made sense.

I saw Ellen around town quite often since we grocery shop at the same Grand Union. She met Michelle and stayed very cordial and accepting of her appearance. She never again attempted to get back together.

We discussed the fact that I would remain friends with her parents so we would probably cross paths often. I suggested we remain friends since that's how we had started.

Months later I ran into her shopping with a man. She introduced him as her boyfriend. He was handsome and well built and we talked some.

"Before you feel the need to warn me about Ellen," Darren interjected, "you should know she came clean. I know everything she did. She was heartbroken and remorseful about it. I believe she has learned her lesson. She went to therapy and has a better relationship with money these days." I got the feeling her new squeeze was actually a good guy.

"Darren, I'm happy that she told you everything and I'm over it now. Ellen and I were best friends forever. I still want her to be happy so good luck with your relationship. She is an amazing woman that I would have been thrilled to spend my life with." I shook hands with him and he smiled. Ellen was crying by his side.

-----

Marc was fired from the dealership almost immediately. Nothing was ever heard about his affair with the senator's wife. Unfortunately for Marc, a great deal of child pornography was found on his computer. I received another call from the mysterious voice informing me that Marc wasn't set up, he was just exposed. He would go to prison. It was the easiest payback I could have imagined.

I brought Michelle out to the farm to meet Ellen's parents. I couldn't throw away such great friends. I got an invite for a traditional New England boiled dinner at the farm and asked if I could bring a plus one. They loved Michelle as much as they loved me. It was awkward at first introducing them as 'friends' instead of my in-laws. We spoke very little about Ellen that night or any other time we got together. It was all about the farm, the state fair, and cars. Although the big news was Roy starting his own meat curing and smoking business. I begged them to let Michelle and I help with the state fair every year. They graciously agreed.

Ellen and Darren ended up getting married. I was surprised to receive an invite to the wedding. Michelle said, "She was your best freind, I think we should go."

"I agree, it should be fun." We did have fun since I knew about half the people there and met some new friends as well. We gave the newlyweds a traditional gift as well as the deed to my trailer. Not only could they live in it but they could sell it or rent it for extra cash. I thought that would be apropos and something Ellen would appreciate.

I ended up opening a second location for my business in Portsmouth, New Hampshire to make it easier access for customers from Maine and southern New England. This location only had one business. We strictly took old classic cars and pickups from customers that wanted them transformed into top tier auto show quality pieces. It did canabalize some business from Rutland but they were both as busy as we could handle.

-----

I married Michelle just before our grand opening in Portsmouth. She wanted a "very non-traditional" wedding and I wasn't going to argue. I'd been through a traditional wedding already and once was enough. Michelle wanted to invite Ellen and Darren since we had gone to their wedding. The debate was over quickly with Michelle prevailing.

I made a suggestion for the wedding that Michelle fell in love with. We invited everyone we knew. We said our vows on the dock of my home in the late morning.

My friend Greg owns a catering business that does pig roasts. So we tried to buy a pig from Roy and Anne for the reception in my front yard. They refused money and gave us the pig as our wedding present instead. Greg put together a fantastic spread as a buffet line. We set up four kegs of beer and a wine bar. We hired a traditional Appalachian mountain folk band for entertainment. A dance area was roped off which ended up being way too small. I took down the ropes so everyone could just dance anywhere, and they did. I had to pay extra to keep the band late into the night since nobody wanted to leave.

In the field behind my house we setup as many tents as I could scrounge up and borrow. We offered guests to either bring tents or use one of ours so they could stay the night. Some of the older guests including Roy and Anne were offered rooms in the house.

At our reception I had the chance to have a conversation with Darren. He seemed very happy with his marriage. At the same time, Ellen sat next to Michelle talking for a few minutes before bursting into tears and hugging Michelle.

Afterwards Michelle told me that Ellen is ashamed of what happened to this day and asked her to relay her most sincere apology and love. She is happy that I found such a wonderful woman to spend my life with. She also asked Michelle to take good care of me.

The morning after we had a different catering company provide breakfast for our guests before they left. Michelle and I were packed and ready to leave for a week in Hawaii getting back in time to open my Portsmouth shop.

We were up very early after such a late night but we had to make Boston by 10 am and I don't like cutting things close just in case. Some of my guests were free to stay all week and enjoy the lake in mid-July. My friend, James from next door agreed to stay the week and watch the place and entertain as necessary. Drive the boat, etc.

As we reached my car I noticed Ellen and Darren packing up to leave. I said, "You two sure are up early."

Darren said, "I tried to convince her that it was fine to be here but she was concerned that I might think she still carried a torch for you. She wanted to leave last night but I convinced her to at least stay the night."

I took a step toward Ellen and hugged her. "We are still friends, okay? But I don't think anyone here believes we could go back to being lovers. Let's just let bygones be bygones and keep being friends. That way we can still love each other, just in a different way." Ellen nodded.

"Okay Rob, I love you." She gave me a kiss on the cheek. "Now go have a nice honeymoon."

The End