Saving the Doctor Pt. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Elaina exhaled a long breath, "Yes. Sorry this is just... Getting too much for me right now."

Matt squeezed her shoulder gently and looked at her adoringly. "Hey, sweetie look, can I just say that this is actually, like, almost inspiring how good you two are with each other. Like, other couples wouldn't even TALK to each other this close after a break up and look at you guys! Putting your differences aside, and taking care of him in his time of need, with no resentment or pettiness, just cause you know he needed it, and it's the right thing to do. Letting his girlfriend visit. Like... man oh man! Just when I thought you couldn't be more amazing. I can't believe I found a woman like you."

He leaned over and kissed her as she stared back helplessly with a flat face.

"Aww," Carly said, "You guys are cute together,"

Elaina flashed her a secret scowl before quickly resuming her poise.

Matt chuckled, "Thanks Carly, you guys are too, I can see the way you look at each other, and I know there's something good there. Just like how I feel with you sweetie," he said turning back to Elaina with a wide smile, and rubbing her back.

"Thank you, Carly," Elaina said with a smile that didn't involve her eyes. "Enjoying the tea?"

Carly shrugged casually, "I'm not thirsty. Thanks anyway though."

Jon looked down, suddenly wondering how he didn't even think that she might have put something in it. Thankfully he wasn't feeling any effects of anything, though he doubted that even she would be that reckless, or at least he hoped.

Elaina put her hands on the table, "Anyway, Matt, Carly, I'm glad this didn't turn out ugly in the end, but I think we're all exhausted. I'm sure you both are eager to get home to bed, and I should check Jon's bandages anyway."

"Aw, it's not that late, sweetie," Matt countered. "Hey are you guys into documentaries? Elaina has the BEST taste she finds the most exciting, amazing-"

"No, not tonight..." Elaina interrupted, getting more openly irritated. "Matt, please, I'm sorry if I'm being a bad host, but I think we've all... seen enough of each other."

Jon took a deep breath, "Actually Elaina, I was going to talk to you about this as soon as Carly and I got back, but you were out to dinner, and um, honestly, I'm super grateful for everything, but Carly's leg is basically back to normal, and I'm doing better and better... I think it's time for me to go home." he said, looking into her eyes and trying to make her understand, and see what had to happen.

She looked back with a stubborn set to her eyes, but also... a shred of doubt. "Don't be foolhardy Jon, you're still recovering. The wound is still oozing. You've only just begun walking around more."

"He was walking fine today," Carly interjected, "And his... physical abilities tested out fairly well otherwise I would say," she smiled playfully.

Matt giggled and waggled his eyebrows as he sipped his tea.

Elaina's nostrils literally flared. "You don't know the first thing about post-operative care, or what to do if he starts having breathing difficulties."

"What kind of... care have you been giving him that I can't, can you explain it to me?" Carly asked innocently, but with eyes that were anything but.

Elaina's face started to turn red.

"It's just a bit of help with walking and lifting, and changing the dressing," Jon said, "I can easily show her how. If I had sudden breathing issues then it's 911 and a trip to the ER whether I'm here or back home," he explained calmly, hoping to God Elaina didn't suddenly snap.

"There's more to it than that!" Elaina said, setting the teacup down quickly as her hand shook, spilling a few drops on the table.

"There isn't, " Jon said, with a sincere look that he hoped got through to her.

"Sweetie listen to them," Matt said. "It's great you're still so concerned for him but at a certain point you gotta let the patient leave the ward right? She's always trying to make sure everything's perfect before they get discharged, it's like her only flaw, the bed manager hates it, but I actually love it."

Elaina gave him an annoyed glance, then looked back to Jon, "Can we at least talk about it, just you and me? This is just... too sudden."

Jon shrugged, "There's nothing you're gonna say to make me change my mind Elaina," he said, meeting her eyes meaningfully again.

"Please Jon," Elaina asked, trying not to show the desperation that was clearly there.

Jon kept his cool, "I appreciate you asking politely, but it's still no."

Matt scoffed a chuckle, "Come on Elaina, he'll be fine. That hospital's got a good reputation, you should know that. There's a lot of great docs working there. Ooo that reminds me, who was your orthopod Carly?"

Carly perked up with a smile, "Dr. Gustafson."

"Nick! I love that guy he was my senior when I first started the service here. What was the injury?" Matt asked.

"Umm they said tibia...something," Carly shrugged.

"Mid-shaft tibia," Jon clarified, "We were skiing and she flew into a tree."

"Ooof!" Matt cringed with a chuckle, "Seen a couple of those, could have been worse, glad you're okay."

"Yeah. Jon was there and saved me." Carly said putting her hand on Jon's with a proud smile.

Elaina cleared her throat. "Getting back to the issue. Carly it'll be better if you come back in a day or two, and then Jon can be fully ready to leave."

"No," Jon said, focusing on trying to win this ridiculous improv contest in front of Matt, so they could leave without things blowing up. "I'm not making her drive all the way out here again. There's nothing we need to get ready or prepare. All we need is the dressing supplies. We're going tonight. I insist. I've been intruding too long in your life, and now you and Matt can have your space."

"They miss each other Elaina, come on, can't you see it?" Matt smiled, "Can't keep a man away from the woman he loves," he said sliding his hand up to her shoulder and pulling her in for a kiss.

"I..." Elaina looked into Matt's eyes, and then back and Jon's and then back again, seeming to search Matt's face as he looked back at her in endearing amusement.

"God look at you," Matt chuckled, "If we ever have kids you're gonna be the most amazing dedicated mother."

Elaina furrowed her brow, sighed and then kissed him back with a careful smile. Jon silently rejoiced.

"Okay," she said, looking back at Jon still looking somewhat unsure. "Okay, if that's what you want. I guess I can't stop you."

Matt chuckled, "I mean what are you gonna do, tie him up?"

**********

As Carly pulled away into the street Jon sat in the passenger seat and finally started to relax, finally started to realize he was actually free.

He hadn't been able to relax even after Elaina agreed, even as she helped to gather the few things he had to take with him. Even as she held her arm around Matt and leaned into him as they said their goodbyes. Even as he and Carly rode silently down the elevator with two other strangers, as she stroked his hand and gave him beautiful reassuring smiles, seeing his cool, collected act starting to break. Even as they walked out of the building, with Jon looking over his shoulder as they made their way to her car.

Jon couldn't help taking paranoid glances in the rear view mirror, checking for headlights that might be following them.

Carly reached over and rubbed his forearm up to his hand and squeezed supportively.

"Jon just try to relax, we did it. We made it. You're free, okay?"

"I know, I know, I'm sorry it's just... hard."

Carly sniffled, "Look, I can't imagine what you're going through, how insane and scary that must have been, and demeaning and..." her voice broke.

Jon squeezed her hand back appreciatively.

"We can go to the police station, right now, if you want. Make a statement. Press charges," she suggested.

Jon took a long breath out and shook his head, "No. I know that might be the right thing to do, but I kinda just want to never see her again. I have a strong feeling she'll find a way out of any charges, and then find a way to make me pay for it."

Carly sighed, "I guess you're probably right. God, I wanted to fucking kill her the whole time I was there. I feel like she deserves SOMETHING."

"I know, but I'm not gonna get wrapped up in some back and forth revenge, as long as she leaves me alone from now on. If she tries any contact I'll get a restraining order right away and more if I have to."

Carly sighed, "You're such a good man. But, like if you wanted a chance to act like a vengeful bastard just once, this would be a pretty good excuse. I'd totally still love you," she teased.

Jon laughed, "It's tempting don't get me wrong. I just... want my life to be simple for once. I'm sick of drama. I don't want to create any more, and find out how she intended to make good on her threats. I just want to go home. With you."

She sniffled again, "Yeah. Me too," she smiled back at him.

They drove in silence for a while, their fingers squeezing and caressing.

"...So you and Sean broke up?" Jon finally asked.

"The weekend before the park," she replied.

Jon nodded and pursed his lips, "I wish I had known that."

"I wish I had told you. I was going to, that day. I was gonna tell you I still loved you. That I wanted to be with you," she said, choking up.

Jon took his other hand and rubbed her arm as well, "I would have said the same. It would have been a great day. Best day of my life maybe..."

She tried to smile through a sob, "Instead it was the worst day of mine."

"I can only imagine," Jon said. "You saved me though Carly. ...You're gettin' good at that."

She giggled and sniffled, "Try not to get stabbed and kidnapped too many more times though okay?"

"Okay I'll try," he laughed back, his fingers moving over hers lovingly and feeling like he never wanted to let go.

They rode in comfortable silence for a while longer.

"...Why did you buy my house?"

Carly was awkwardly silent for a moment, "It's a good house. It was a good price. I wanted to move..."

Jon squinted and gave her a pondering smile, "Okay..."

"Did Elaina know it was me?" Carly asked.

"No Caroline, and she still doesn't."

Carly giggled, "I HATE that name, don't call me that, please!"

"You know I almost thought the reason you bought it was because you and Sean were moving in together."

"Oh... Oh fuck, I didn't even think of that. That's what you thought?!" Carly glanced at him in concern.

"Kinda... What ELSE was I supposed to think?"

"Oh my God I'm so sorry. It was just... I don't know! I DO love that house, but besides that, it... felt like a way to let you know I was still around, and it was a way to eventually figure out what Elaina's address was."

"K... so are you gonna keep it?"

"Well yeah,"

"Can you afford it?"

"Hey! I make decent money."

"Yeah I know, but I mean, still..."

Carly sighed, "Okay fine it's kinda tight with the mortgage, but I'll be okay."

Jon smirked and looked at her more intently, "Come on though, like, there's lots of houses on the market..."

Carly seemed to squirm and gave him an playfully annoyed look.

Finally she replied, "Okay, well... I'm worried you're gonna feel pressured if I say this and I don't want to rush things but-..."

Jon burst out laughing. "Okay, well you're already pregnant with my kid, and we just had sex in my ex-fiance's closet but yes, let's not RUSH things," he said sarcastically.

She swatted him, "Yeah yeah, I know but just... I'm trying to be serious here."

"Sorry," he said more seriously, caressing her fingers.

"I... was thinking... maybe... you don't need to move out," she said nervously.

Jon's hand froze on hers.

"You still can if you want to, I won't be offended if you-..." she paused glancing over and seeing his wide grin.

"It's genius," he said.

She giggled hesitantly, "Yeah?"

"Yeah. It's the last place Elaina would think to look for me. I was already trying to figure out how to stop her from tracking me down, figuring she wouldn't respect a restraining order. I mean there's the clinic but we've had security in there since Christmas. This way there's nothing that's in my name. You sound like you could use a roommate paying rent to help you out with the mortgage..."

Carly laughed heavily and squeezed his hand so tight it almost hurt.

"You wanna move in with me then?" she asked.

"Yeah. It sounds like a pretty sweet place," Jon smiled.

Carly laughed again, then let out a long sigh, "I love you Jon."

He smiled and felt a tear forming, "I love you too, Carly," he whispered.

They relaxed and listened to music and their hands barely left each other on the long drive. Then, finally, they arrived home, together.

(Epilogue to follow)