Second Chances

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sshh, it's okay, we've been over this Becks, I understand," Mark said kissing her temple once more. Rebekah closed her eyes and savoured the moment. "We've worked it all out. Just know Mary loves you as much as I do... maybe more. You know that, right?"

Rebekah felt giddy with happiness. She knew she was loved, but hearing Mark say it made it seem more real.

"I know and I love her too," Rebekah replied happily. "You're both so special, let me show you."

Rebekah began to move but Mark held her and kissed her again.

"No... How about I move down between your legs and do what I should have done at the start?" Mark asked letting his hands slide up and over Rebekah's body, causing her to gasp sensually.

"Oh god, I'd like that," Rebekah said looking at him adoringly. "We can take our time now; I was in a bit of a rush at the start..."

"I know," Mark said as Mary came back into the room smiling and holding some glasses of water.

"Do you think Mary would like it too?" Rebekah asked playfully seeing Mary beam with a wide smile. Before she could answer, Mark piped up.

"Hey babe, guess what?" Mark said as Mary handed the drinks to them and slipped her robe off. They all took some big sips of water before placing the glasses down.

"What's that?" Mary asked climbing on the bed and over both sets of legs, straddling both Mark and Rebekah.

"Rebekah's never leaving again," Mark replied with a smile. Rebekah stiffened for a moment before Mary smiled.

"About time," Mary said before laying down on top of Rebekah. The two women kissed and looked at each other. "I love you Becks. Don't ever leave us, okay?"

"I won't. I promise," Rebekah said kissing Mary back. "I love you too."

They took the moment to embrace and soak up the energy in the room. After they basked in the moment, Mary moved and took both Rebekah's and Mark's hands. The mood was beginning to change as Rebekah looked at Mark and he simply winked causing her to smirk.

"Wonderful, now," Mary asked giving Rebekah a mischievous look. "Who's up for anal?"

"I won't say no to that, just go slow at first," Rebekah replied as she moaned softly. "But maybe Mark can eat me out first?"

There were some cheeky looks and then sexy giggles before they got underway again. They spent the next couple of hours enjoying many of the carnal pleasures with each other, finally falling into bed wrapped in each other's arms, with Rebekah held lovingly in the middle. When morning finally arrived, Mark was the first to wake, smiling to himself when he realised Rebekah was still in his arms, and Mary was reaching over holding his hand. It was the perfect picture.

Ever so gently, he moved to grab his phone from the side table and looked down at the two women, their hair spread out on the pillows like a modelling shoot and their arms around each other. He snapped a photo and marvelled how well they looked just as Rebekah opened her eyes and looked up at him.

"Good morning beautiful," Mark said in a whisper causing her to smile happily.

"Morning handsome," Rebekah said happily and quietly. "Take another one."

Leaning back slightly and exposing her breast more, Rebekah bit her bottom lip and pushed the sheet down lower. Mark smiled at her and then snapped another photo of the two near naked women before gently sitting back down next to her.

"Perfect," Mark said quietly.

"Can you send it to me? Please?" Rebekah asked with a cheeky grin. He nodded and then tapped his phone sending it on.

"I'm going to take a shower, want anything?" Mark replied leaning over and kissing her on the lips. It was a loving good morning kiss which seemed to arouse Mary from her slumber. She looked at him and then smiled as he leaned over and kissed her lips as well. "Good morning gorgeous."

"Morning," Mary said snuggling into Rebekah.

The two women snuggled and drifted back off as Mark hit the shower. If this was how life in lockdown was going to be, all of them were never going to leave.

Chapter 6

The last couple of months had been eye opening. Not only had they ridden the lockdown out together but it seemed to have made their bond stronger. All the children got along incredibly well, Mary, Rebekah and Mark were living a life of bliss and having Gabriella there throughout was a blessing in disguise. She fitted in so perfectly, Mary and Rebekah finally understood why Mark valued her so highly all the time. It was like there was this big hole when she left, one they hadn't counted on discovering but was there none the less. Mary was the first to suggest she stay longer and while it took some convincing from all of them, Gabriella finally agreed as long as she wasn't a bother. Even the children convinced her she was no such thing, having fun hanging out with their new 'Aunt'.

Now that the lockdown had finally lifted, they had started to slowly go back to work a few days a week. It wasn't easy but they all made it work quite well.

Gabriella had left to go home and pick up some other clothes while Mark watched the children play. Michaela came up to him, gave him a big hug and a kiss before heading back out into the yard to play the ball game with the others. The little girl was so sweet and warm with Mark and Mary that it often blew them away. Not that the other children were not loving, but Michaela just seemed to be more naturally inclined to be that way.

Rebekah was the first to sit down across from him before Mary came out and sat down beside him. The pandemic had made it clear what was important in life and while watching the children Mark suddenly had an idea. The comment from Rebekah about wishing Michaela was Mark's and then that lingering hug from Michaela were the catalyst for it.

"How would you feel about me adopting Michaela?" Mark asked which seemed to turn them silent. He looked at Rebekah who was trying to remain composed but failing as her eyes teared up and then at Mary who was already shedding tears. "That way we're officially one big family."

Mary nodded first and then hugged Mark lovingly before Rebekah nodded.

"Are you sure? I mean?" Rebekah replied trying to stay calm as her hand covered her mouth. It was such a loving gesture that both women let out all the pent-up emotions around it. None of them had really thought it was such a big deal but once he asked it was obvious how much it meant to all of them.

"Becks, she's calls him Dad already. She doesn't know her biological father, I'm already her godmother," Mary said wiping away the tears and smiling. "God, I love you Mark."

He smiled at her and kissed her lips.

"I love you too babe," Mark said looking at Mary lovingly before looking at his ex-wife. "So, what do you think?"

"Just when I thought you couldn't surprise me anymore, you do it again. Of course, yes, I'd love it if you did that," Rebekah said coming over and hugging both of them. The two women laughed through the tears and Mark held them both, happy as could be.

"Wonderful. If this pandemic has taught me anything it's that family is important no matter what. I just love how our family has come together and I want to keep it that way," Mark said stroking their backs as they slowly pulled apart and laughed happy tears.

"Us too," Mary said holding Rebekah's hand. "I don't want to be anywhere else."

They wiped away their tears and just basked in the loving glow.

"Me either," Rebekah said staring at Mary. "But one other thing. Can we adopt Gabby too?"

While it was a light-hearted comment the three of them knew Rebekah was half serious. They laughed and couldn't wait to get everything under way. It was a moment that they would remember for the rest of their lives. They made the necessary arrangements the next day to start the adoption process. Hopefully it would go smoothly.

Chapter 7

Their family was complete now. Mark's adoption of Michaela had finally come through and it was now official. They had celebrated last night with dinner, with all the children happy at the news. Not that anything with their family dynamic changed, it just was another piece of the puzzle of what was their collective lives. The bigger change was that they were all going back to school and the adults were returning to work as safely as possible, meaning there were still times they would work from home.

With Mark and Gabriella dropping the kids off at school on their way to work, Mary and Rebekah had the morning to get ready before heading in. As usual they bounced ideas for work outfits off each other and finally settled once they had it all in front of them. They had fun doing it because it wasn't everyday, they could hang out this way and be normal. Or as normal as they could be now that this virus was still lingering around the world without a cure.

Needing to leave first, Mary picked up her handbag and work satchel before kissing Rebekah on the cheek. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary until Mary stopped dead cold at the door. It was the way Mary stopped and looked at Rebekah which was odd, but Rebekah didn't question it. They had come to trust each other completely and so went along with anything, no matter how bizarre.

"Do you remember what you said to me on my wedding day?" Mary asked warmly.

It was an odd question but one Rebekah knew the answer to. Perhaps this whole pandemic was playing on her mind more than Rebekah realised. It had heightened a lot of people's anxieties.

"Yeah, I said to look after him, he's worth it," Rebekah replied with a smile as she recalled the joyous day. The smile she got from Mary warmed her heart.

"Well, now that we are in a covid world, I want to say this to you," Mary said moving closer and clutching Rebekah's hands. "If anything, ever happens to me, I want you to promise me, you'll look after Mark and the kids. Please? I know they will be in good hands."

"Of course, I would," Rebekah said knowing it was a no-brainer. "I agreed to be their godmother, so of course."

"I need to hear you say, 'I promise,' please," Mary said the look of worry that shot through her demeanour before settling back to normal had Rebekah flustered.

"I promise... Mary," Rebekah said hugging her best friend to her. "I want you to promise me the same, okay?"

"I promise," Mary said before they kissed goodbye and Mary was out the door.

It was kind of prophetic that Mary had asked Rebekah to make a promise that morning. By four o'clock that afternoon Rebekah had received the bad news that Mary had been killed in a car accident. A head on collision that caused her to die instantly. It seemed that some people had celebrated a little too heavily about being able to live their life again, that they got drunk during the day. While they awaited confirmation about it, the police were pretty certain given the fresh beer bottles in the vehicle at the scene of the crash.

Gabriella stood there holding Rebekah as Mark went in to find the children and tell them the bad news.

"How is he?" Rebekah asked seeing Gabriella wipe away some tears.

"Not good," Gabriella replied as Rebekah pulled her close and they summoned up all the courage they could to put on a united front to talk with the children.

The tears flowed, the sobs filled the room and he tried to comfort them as they all came to terms with the news. The eldest children were upset, looking at each other and then at Mark as he spoke, comforting them and holding their youngest son. Rebekah and Gabriella were there as well, offering what comfort they could as they children went through the mix of emotions that always surrounded an event like this.

Rebekah was surprised at how well Mark was holding it all together. He had held his children with Mary until they calmed down, and made sure to comfort the others as well. Once things had calmed down, it was a little thing that set him off. Michaela was the last one to speak.

"Dad... ummm... mother Mary isn't coming home, is she?" Michaela asked so innocently the cracks started to appear.

"I'm afraid not," Mark replied holding it together as best he could while Michaela came up to him, kissing him and hugging him tightly. That little girl was more resilient than anyone realised. "Okay, I need to speak with your mother, I mean Becks..." He was already finding it hard not to put his foot in it. "Gabby can you take them into the other room please?"

"Sure," Gabriella said knowing he was hurting badly. She knew him as well as anybody and could tell he was close to falling apart. She would make sure the children were settled before coming back to them.

"We'll look after her Dad," Stella said wiping away the tears. He nodded and used the last of his courage to hold it all together.

Once the room was clear, Mark crumbled, the tears flowing while he did his best to hide his face with his hands. Rebekah wrapped herself around him, holding him tight while he sobbed, kissing the top of his head every so often, while stroking his back. She felt his tears soaking through her shirt and held on as he trembled in her arms. It was a good ten minutes before he was calm enough to face her. Rebekah's heart broke when she saw the look in his eyes and she resolved herself to do anything she could to put him back together and take care of him. He had been the glue so far and now it was her turn to hold it all together.

Just as Rebekah's own tears began to flow again, Gabriella came back in and hugged both of them, holding on as they wept for their loss. It wasn't easy but nothing like this ever was.

Chapter 8

The police had confirmed it was a drunk driver in the truck that hit Mary. While the news didn't help heal the hurt, it did fill in the blanks and let them know Mary wasn't in the wrong. There had been a big turn out at the funeral and then at the wake. Everyone from Mary's firm had paid their respects with William Tanner staying behind with his wife, Sophie, to help clean up, as did Jordan Richardson and his wife Helen from Mark's work. Once it was all over, everyone was exhausted. They had suffered a great loss, someone so big and wonderful had been lost from this world and every one of them felt it. The police had concluded that the other driver was so excited to have left lockdown that they celebrated with a few drinks and then continued celebrating with a trip around the town in their new pickup truck. The speed at which they were going would have had the same effect on any vehicle bar a semi-trailer or a cruise ship. It was just the wrong place and the wrong time for Mary.

With the help of Gabriella, Rebekah and Mark got all the children to bed and then sat for a while as they decompressed from the day. The children had been upset at the funeral but by bedtime were exhausted and just sad. Not long after midnight, Gabriella was the first to get up, moving close to Mark and comforting him one last time before she went to bed.

"I'm going to my room. You come get me if you need anything, okay?" Gabriella said in her sweetest tone.

"Thanks Gab. Thank you for today... for everything, we couldn't have done it without you," Mark said standing up and kissing her cheek. Rebekah did the same holding her for a moment as they nodded to each other.

"You're welcome," Gabriella said before smiling sadly at Rebekah who did the same.

"If you need anything, clothes, pillows, blankets... I've got heaps of stuff in my room, okay?" Rebekah said before Gabriella nodded and let go without another word. Within moments, the living room was quiet again and it was just the two of them.

"You should probably head to bed too," Mark said softly whilst looking at Rebekah. "It's been a big day."

"Yeah, I think we both need the rest. Come on," Rebekah said standing up and holding her hand out to Mark.

Clutching her hand, Mark followed Rebekah down the other end of the house to the bedrooms and then into his room. It was the loneliest room in the house ever since he found out about Mary. He stripped off his pants and shirt before sitting on the edge of the bed. Rebekah had sat next to him and held him close.

"Would you like me to stay?" Rebekah asked softly while holding his hand.

Looking at the beautiful blonde, Mark shook his head. He had cried out all the tears he could and now had to face the next stage. The empty feeling.

"No, it's okay. I appreciate it, I do, but I need to," Mark replied pausing to look at the bed he used to share with Mary. "I need to sit with this for a while. Re-adjust."

"Okay," Rebekah said about to move but Mark held her hand tightly.

"Are you okay?" Mark asked looking at his ex-wife.

She did her best to stay composed but his look exposed the fragile state she was in. Rebekah shook her head and took a deep breath.

"No, I'm not. But that's okay, it's going to take time," Rebekah replied as composed as she could. An errand tear ran down her cheek and she wiped it away.

"Well, if you need me," Mark said but she put her fingers to his lips and shook her head.

"Look at you, always making sure everyone else is okay first. Well," Rebekah said with her best smile. "This time we are looking after you first. Okay? My door is always open."

With a big sigh and a slight chuckle, Mark nodded.

"I think we all need each other," Mark said kissing the back of her hand. "One step at a time."

"Deal," Rebekah said standing up slowly. Mark had loosened his grip and looked up at the lovely woman before him as she stood at his legs. She leant down and kissed him on the lips sweetly. "Goodnight Mark."

"Night Becks," Mark said before she left, looking over her shoulder before disappearing out of his room.

Slowly Mark climbed into his bed, looking at the side where Mary normally slept and felt utter sadness. He knew full well it would take time to get over this and he had a great bunch of people around him. He wasn't necessarily worried about himself; it was more about the children and the other adults. It's just how he was wired. Mark resolved himself to mourn Mary as best he could while making sure life went on as she had always wanted. From the moment Mary and he got serious, she made it clear that they would do everything in their power to make life go on and work for all of them. There was too much hate and hurt in the world to do otherwise. It was what drew him to her as much as she was drawn to him. Their mutual love of family and making sure to live life as best as they could. In her memory he was determined to make it all work.

It was 3am when he finally woke up with a bit of a startle. He reached for the other side of the bed but then it dawned on him. He was alone. Unsure of what to do Mark found himself outside Rebekah's room, staring into the dull room, when he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. He looked and saw Gabriella standing there, staring at him and he simply nodded. As if curated by a higher power, Mark entered Rebekah's room with Gabriella behind him. He was worried he was going to wake Rebekah, but he could already see her eyes staring at him in the darkness.

"Sorry," Mark said quietly.

"Come here," Rebekah said pulling back the covers and holding her arms out.

He gently took Gabriella's hand as well, pulled her with him as they both climbed into Rebekah's bed and got under the covers. Mark rolled over and Rebekah spooned him from behind, holding him close as a mother bear would. She was protecting this most amazing man in his moment of need. Gabriella backed up against Mark and the three of them held each other, nodding off almost immediately once they were comfortable. It was the best night sleep either of them had enjoyed since Mary's death.

It took three months before things went back to some semblance of normal. The 'normal' being all three of them in their own beds instead of with one another at some point during those long nights. Never a bad word was spoken throughout, with all of them comforting each other as best they could until it didn't hurt any longer. There was nothing but pure love as they held each other through those long nights and slept side by side, strengthening their already strong bond. That's what family does for one another.