Send in the Clowns Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As people began moving up to see the Greuze more closely, Carole and Marie came up to me. "Daddy," Carole said, "Marie wants to see the other paintings. Can we go look at them?"

"They're closed off today, Fussbudget." I said. "We'll come see them another time. And I want you two to stay with me, your mother, or Marie's parents at all times. Don't wander off by yourselves, okay?"

"Yes sir." both Carole and Marie said simultaneously. Carole noticed me looking around, observing the crowds, and she emulated my actions and began looking around herself.

We were in the Main Hall near the front doors and in the middle of the room looking left to right. Most of the guests were on the right side, near the painting or waiting their turn to get near it. Some people were sitting at the tables, on their cellphones. The auction was online, and those people were bidding on it.

"How does that auction work?" I asked Laura as she came up to us.

"From what I was told," Laura said, "people are submitting bids now. After fifteen minutes the highest bid will be revealed, and another round will begin. This is supposedly so that people can see the painting and then bid. After another fifteen minutes, the highest bid will be updated again, and from that point on the number is updated immediately, like a real, regular auction. The auction ends when a bid stands for five minutes."

"Weird." I said. "But if that's how the want to do it------"

"FIRE!"

The yell had come from behind me, near the table with the champagne and snacks. I turned around to see purple smoke billowing from the floor in the corner of the room!

*BRRRRINNNGGG!!*

It was the security alarm going off. Some people started screaming in panic (why people feel the need to scream in panic whenever anything happens, I don't know). Some began rushing towards the smoke, to see what was going on. Others began running for the front doors...but the door locks had been activated, and everyone was trapped inside.

My first instinct had been to turn and look. My second instinct was to turn back around and make sure Carole and Marie were still with me while other people were running by us. And as I did, I saw Carole looking not at the smoke nor towards the door, but at the painting between the two security guards, who had done their jobs and not moved.

"Look, Daddy!" my daughter exclaimed, pointing at the painting. "The painting has changed!"

To be continued.

Dear readers, how was it done? How was the Lost Greuze stolen? And by who?