All Comments on 'Sickster (sentimental version)'

by 5thRing

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
tallman441tallman441about 1 year ago

Excellent story. Very emotional. Grips the reader. 5 stars

ScottishTexanScottishTexanabout 1 year ago

Do you know the old adage about how an infinite number of monkeys, each given a typewriter, will result in one of those monkeys banging out a perfect copy of Romeo & Juliette? I guess that I'm your monkey in a sense. 😉

In 1989, while my first wife was pregnant with my oldest son, I was working as an armed security officer. At my job, I had lots of free time on my hands. So to stay awake during the long nighttime hours, I read science fiction novels. Anne McCaffrey was one of my favorites and she gave me the idea for an artificial intelligence computer that turns sentient because of the work of a young genius who altered its coding. Using a pattern established by Clive Cussler in his Dirk Pitt novels, the best friend and sidekick of the genius never dates anyone even though he is firmly a Heterosexual male. Midway through my novel it was going to be revealed that the reason for his attitude was rooted in his past. His dearly beloved sister was dying from a rare genetic disorder that mimics certain cancer where the victim wastes slowly away until death takes them. At her request, he dates her for the same exact reasons that you give in your story and he falls totally in love with her. The consumate their mutual love while she still was strong enough to do it, and then she dies about a year later. I came up with all of this in 1990 and began writing it down long hand while I was working security for the filming of a movie called RUSH staring Jennifer Jason Leigh, Max Perlich and Jason Patrick. I could verify that I'm not lying about this because I showed portions of my work to others working on the film in order to get their opinions on whether or not I was actually writing something good or wasting my time. I never finished my novel, but I'm writing and posting stuff here.

Thanks for sharing your story and amazing me with the coincidence!!! 4/5

5thRing5thRingabout 1 year agoAuthor

@ ScottishTexan

Heh heh. Sounds more like I might be the monkey since your idea apparently came first. Maybe I accidentally banged out a summary.

It's fun to see the coincidence, but I wager the greater "coincidence" is the fact that you happened to see my story. There are probably multiple dozens of people who had the same idea, and we'll never see them.

ScottishTexanScottishTexanabout 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply. I'm also grateful to your acceptance to my suggestion of pen pals. I hope that this leads to a good friendship. -ST-

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Great story not about lust but love, very touching.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
user5thRing@5thRing
I love getting comments on my stories. I like honest CONSTRUCTIVE critiques: what SPECIFICALLY you liked and disliked. I'm seeking ways to improve because even I am not satisfied with my own work. Simply saying that you didn't like it is not helpful, at all. I have just su...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Sickster Series Info