Standing in for Dad Ch. 33

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"However, a ray of hope and sunshine is with me today. It is my pleasure, therefore, to introduce the ruler of Mexico, the exquisite Lady Isabella De Sousa."

Bella approached the podium with the grace of a cat, "Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I apologize for my nerves as I am not quite used to public speaking yet. I will say Ambassador Walker has misspoken about where credit is due on one point. While great credit is due the brave men and women of your armed services, he is a great man and leader who has personally saved my life at least twice so far."

"To any naysayers out there, let me be frank. The Mexican cartels were endemic in the politics of my country and were directly involved in assassination attempts on your President, Vice President, and their wives as well as multiple attempts on Ambassador Walker and his family. Additionally, they were responsible for child prostitution rings as well as human and drug trafficking into the United States."

"My people are now on a path to true freedom, thanks to the Leaders of the United States, and Mexico will soon be a true democracy. Large scale, wholesale crime has all but been eliminated and is no longer a facet of our lives due to the faithful work of your political and military leaders."

"America is truly a blessed country. Thank you, America, for being you."

Under thundering applause and massive numbers of flashes from photographers we waved to the crowds and made our way into the Capitol Building where a grand reception awaited in the Rotunda. There we were introduced to the Ambassadors of China, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, and Russia, among many others.

We were eventually ushered onto the Senate Floor in the north wing and to our surprise there was a joint session of Congress about to get underway. We were seated next to the cadre of Supreme Court Justices to whom we were introduced. The Vice President then called the session to order.

(Loud taps of the gavel) "Ladies and Gentlemen of Congress! I hereby call this joint session of Congress to order! It is with distinct honor that I have the pleasure to introduce The President of the United States!"

With Pomp and Circumstance being played by a military band, We all stood and applauded as the President walked down the isle of the Senate floor and shook hands as he made his way to the podium. He made his way through the Supreme Court Justices and then very graciously engaged both Isabella and me before taking his speaking position as we all sat in anticipation.

I whispered to Bella, "No idea about all this, let's just wing it and have some fun, shall we?"

Bella just laughed, patted my hand, and said, "I have been in the loop on this, sorry Harry; but I was sworn to secrecy."

I just raised an eyebrow, knowing better than to say anything else.

Bill then began with the necessary pleasantries such an occasion demanded and then launched into a detailed, and slightly embellished, story about how I had taken out an enemy submarine, two fixed wing aircraft, and single handedly, in hand-to-hand combat, taken out three choppers full of assassins sent by the late ruler of Mexico in an attempt to kill him, the V.P., and their wives.

He continued the narrative letting everyone know how I saved Lady Isabella from a forced marriage to the late President, and how I had led the effort to eliminate the crime families of Mexico and, with Lady Isabella, am currently working on restoring an elected democratic government along with ending crime as a viable career field in the country.

Okay, I was getting a bit embarrassed with all the praise when, out of the blue, Bill said, "Ambassador Harry Walker! Please come to the podium with Lady Isabella."

I stood and offered my hand to Bella to thunderous applause. We got to the podium and had to wait for some time before everyone settled down again and took their seats. Bill began, "Ambassador Walker: In light of your great service to our country as well as saving the lives of my wife, the Vice President's wife, the Vice President, and Myself, I am honored to present you with the highest civilian award of the United States, the Presidential Medal of Freedom!"

My mouth dropped. Lady Isabella literally smirked as she put a gloved hand under my chin and closed my mouth, much to the merriment of the entire Congress and visiting dignitaries.

I bowed for the President to place the medal around my neck and he looked to a screen set to the side of the hall where the entire family was on a video feed. Mom smiled and said, "So proud of you son! Sue said, the whole family is, my dear husband."

With a tear in my eye I choked out, "I wish we had waited another month to start our family so you could be here, my love."

Sue beamed, "I am so proud to be bearing the child of my hero!"

The place erupted, not having known Sue was pregnant. Bill having kept it to himself.

During the hullabaloo, the Vice President had come to the podium and, after everyone settled down again, spoke, "Lady Isabella, in recognition of your invaluable assistance and continuing efforts to brighten the futures of all your people, I have the honor of presenting you with The Congressional Gold Medal which is an award equal to the Presidential Medal of Freedom which is only bestowed by the United States Congress."

Bella was shocked, not having known this part of the proceedings was coming. With a tear in her eye, she bowed and accepted the medal. An uproar demanding an impromptu speech from her rose up spontaneously from the floor and Isabella was asked by the President if she would. With a nod, Beth, somewhat breathless moved to the microphone.

With a hard swallow, she began, "I am overwhelmed." I handed her my handkerchief and she wiped tears from her eyes. "At the tender age of 16 my family was killed by and I was forced to marry the man who eventually became the President of Mexico." She put her hand on my shoulder and continued, "This man saved me and took me into his family." She smiled at the family on the video screen, "I am the most fortunate woman on the earth to have such a loving family again."

"Thank you Congress, and all you Americans watching, for being you."

The response was deafening. More than a few shed tears.

After an extended time, Bella continued, pulling two medals of her own out of her clutch. Mr. President and Vice President, I wish to bestow upon you as the first recipients the Medalla Presidencial al Servicio, which is the Mexican Presidential Medal of Service for your continuing service to my people and in recognition of your leadership and work to free Mexico from tyranny.

****