Sweetest of Hearts Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mark... you can't..."

"Hold out your left hand. I'm taking back my rings."

She held it to her chest. "No! You can't... I'm your wife..."

"In name only. You haven't lived up to your vows for a very long time. Part of me wants to ask why? What did I do wrong? But you know what? I don't care anymore. I stopped loving you a long time ago."

"But... we still had sex..."

I laughed at her. "Yes, exactly, sex. A purely physical act between two people. You think what we do is intimate? When was the last time I actually kissed you passionately? When was the last time you could say we made love? All I've done is fuck my wife since the day I found out because it was better than jerking off. A simple vessel for me to cum in. I'm surprised you never wondered why I preferred nailing you from behind. It was so I didn't have to see your face." I glanced across the table. "Sorry, girls. Too much information."

"We learn all about that in sex education at school, Daddy," Hannah replied.

"Either give me the rings or I'll rip them off your fucking finger, Claire." It must have been something in my tone, as she looked at me for a few seconds, gazing into my eyes, and she rather easily slid them off. "I have a feeling you've been doing that quite often as they slid off far too easily."

"Can we talk about this?" she asked quietly.

"Me and you? No. This marriage is over, Claire. Done like a dog's dinner, and you are the one that killed it. Everything that is about to happen is your fault entirely. Get your phone, talk to your lawyer. But my advice? Sign it now. Ask your lawyer who Melissa Bonny is while you're on the phone. Trust me, Claire, I'm letting you off easy."

"Though if you want to take it to court, Claire, I've advised my client to take everything you hold dear," Melissa added.

I took out my phone and called another number. "Hello, Mark. Is the slut there?"

"That she is, Suzy. I've just shown her all the evidence and served her the divorce agreement."

"Good. Just so you know, Claire, you're dead to all of us. Everyone now knows what you've been doing to that man. How could you just throw him aside like you have? Someone is going to snap him up so quickly... That reminds me, are we still on for drinks on Saturday, Mark?"

"I'll be single and available by then. I'll give you a call Saturday morning. But I won't be having any night visitors until I'm actually divorced. I do have some sort of moral fibre unlike other people I know."

Claire's mouth opened and closed like a fish. "And us on Friday, Mark?" Tanya asked, "I really want to see this big dick I've heard about. Can always fuck me in my car." My girls giggled. "Oops, sorry."

"You're already... you're going to..."

I glared at my wife. "I wouldn't fucking dare. I really wouldn't fucking dare. Call your lawyer."

She could barely stand up, taking the paperwork and walking through to the living room in a daze. I heard her on the phone, though she wisely kept her voice down. She was back within half an hour, her eyes already red, her cheeks wet from tears. I had a heart of ice when it came to her. No empathy whatsoever. She'd made the bed she was now lying in.

"The locks will be changed once you're gone tomorrow. Remember, no contact with myself or my kids from Saturday," I said. I took the pen from my pocket and slammed it on the table. "Now sign the fucking paperwork!" I growled.

She started to cry. That's when Katie spoke up. "Oh please, spare us the crocodile tears, Claire. You've been doing daddy dirty for years. You've never loved him. Just like you never really loved us."

"That's not true!" she sobbed, "I'm your mother! I carried you within me!"

"If it was true, you wouldn't have cheated on him," Hannah retorted, "And you're just the woman who gave birth to us. That's where your role as mother ended. Daddy has always cared for us, loved us. Do you even know when we got our first period? We had to go to daddy about it. Daddy! He had to deal with two frightened daughters who didn't quite understand what was going on."

"He had to take us to get the birth control pill to help regulate it," Katie added, "And he's had to do so many other things that our mother should have been helping us with too. But you're too busy getting fucked by some other guy."

I let it go. The girls were getting what they wanted off their chest. And it wasn't everything to do with the affair. Kids are smart and they can see the truth of things. "Once you're gone, you won't be seeing us, Claire," Hannah warned, "The court might say there will be visitation, but we won't be coming to see you. You can't force us to see you. We don't want to see you, and certainly want nothing to do with the dickhead you're going to shack up with. But you're an idiot. Daddy is a great man. Your loss will be someone else's gain. Although Katie and I hope daddy has some fun. He's been loyal all this time despite all the mum's at netball practically throwing themselves at him. It's quite funny! Three years he's tolerated your bullshit. Thankfully, it's over now."

I smiled. My girls almost worshipped me at times. It was nice to be loved so much by them. Shame my wife didn't share that same love. Claire eventually settled down and picked up the pen, signing her name. Taking the three folders, I handed them back to Melissa. Bill stood up. "Come on, Claire. I'll help you get a bag ready."

She looked at me, pleading with her eyes. I looked at the girls. "Show's over, girls. Go have a shower and get ready for bed. I'll be up to say goodnight later."

They smiled at me, slid past their mother, and wandered towards their end of the house. Claire tried one last time. "Please, Mark..."

"Three years, Claire. Three years you've lied to myself and my kids. Melissa is right about one thing. I could take you for so much, it'll make your head spin. Melissa hates spouses who cheat and the laws here are not kind to adulterers. If I wanted to, I could go after lover boy as well. Hell, I could even go after the very company you work for. There are laws that protect jilted spouses." Then I met her eyes and ensured my grin was the same as the first one. "Cassandra knows. If you do anything, and I mean anything, to stop this going through, I am going scorched fucking earth on your arse. Your entire family will see and know everything. So will our friends. And Tanya will ensure everyone at work knows what you've been up to." I stood up and glared down at her. "Do not fuck with me on this, Claire. Stand up, go grab a bag of your shit, and get the fuck out of my house. You come back on Saturday and grab whatever is left. Melissa and Bill will be here to ensure you don't take anything that isn't yours. After that, I don't want to hear from you and nor do the girls. I despise the very fucking ground you walk on. The girls? As far as they're concerned, they don't have a mother. Now get up and fuck off!"

I'd never shouted at her in such a manner. Never cursed at her either. She finally saw how angry I was and, rather wisely, stood up and scampered through to the lounge room where Bill was waiting. Turning to Melissa, she smiled at me. "I'll ensure these are filed first thing."

"Thanks." I looked down at my left hand, third finger. "You know, I haven't taken this off in all the time we've been married." Taking it off was more difficult than I imagined. Took a couple of minutes to finally twist it up over the knuckle before it finally slid off. Resting on the table next to her rings, that's when it hit as I sighed. "This will be over quick, right?"

"Everything is signed. Her lawyer isn't an idiot. He won't fight this. Adultery and all the other evidence that could burn her? She's not a complete idiot. You will keep the house and you will keep the kids. Considering her wage is far superior, child support will be good. Sure you don't..."

"Her money is tainted. I could be a prick, take what I'm owed, but I did all this for my girls. They're all that matters now. They're acting brave, but they're hurting, just like their father."

Melissa stayed until Claire had a bag packed. Standing near the door, I held out my hand. She knew what I wanted, smart enough to hand over the keys for the house. "One question. Did you ever bring him here?"

"No," she whispered.

"Not sure whether to believe you or not, but it doesn't really matter. I won't be here Saturday. The girls play netball, if you remember or even care. Bill and Melissa will be here to let you in, take what you need, and then you can go. I'm sure your lawyer will keep you up to date otherwise." I stood aside and allowed her to walk past. "One last thing. I would advise you tell the truth to your family. As I said, Cassandra already knows. I hear a single word..."

"You told..."

"Just Cassandra. She knows everything. And if you even think about backsliding on the agreement, she is going to burn your name in the family and with everyone you know and perhaps hold dear. Imagine what your father would think, knowing what a massive slut his daughter is. Funny that, your sister seems to love me more than you do."

"I do love you," she said, choking back a sob.

I snorted. "Funny fucking way of showing it. Fuck off, Claire. Fuck off out of this house, fuck off out of my life. My kids and I will be better off without you."

With a sigh, she lifted her bag and headed towards her car. After throwing it in the boot, she got behind the wheel. I watched her start crying again, so I just shut the front door and switched off the outside light. I didn't care how long she stayed there. Bill already had two beers in hand, giving me one as Melissa got off the phone to Claire's lawyer. "He's not going to fight it. He knows what will happen if he does. I'll bend him over and... well, you can imagine."

I took a sip of my beer to cover my grin. "Thanks, Mel. You're a life saver."

She stood up, grabbing her case, walking towards me. To my surprise, she kissed my cheek. "Your daughter and friends were right about one thing. Your wife is a fucking idiot. I'll talk to you later."

I walked her to the front door before I had to turn and look at Bill. He grinned at me as I sat next to him on the couch. "There's a reason why she cares about stuff like this. Her husband did her dirty with her best friend. Five years, they were fucking behind her back. She works hard, puts in long hours. They took advantage of that. She found them in their marital bed one evening. She said a part of her died that day. In that one moment, she lost her husband and her best friend. Now she primarily takes cases like this. Absolutely no mercy if that's what her client wants."

"Ex-husband is an idiot."

"She's been single ever since. Finds it hard to trust people. She'll hit up bars and looks for someone to spend the night with, but that's it. She just won't open herself up to being hurt so badly again."

He stayed for another beer before he had to go home. After a shower of my own, I walked around the house locking up before heading to say goodnight to my girls. Katie was busy reading a book on her bed, smiling at me when I sat down next to her. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm more worried about you, sweetie. You heard a lot of things tonight."

"Nothing we didn't really know." She sat up and opened her arms for a cuddle. "I love you, Daddy," she whispered.

"Love you too."

"And we're glad we'll be staying with you. We definitely don't want to live with her."

"Both of you are the reason why I endured. I wasn't going to be a part-time father." I kissed her forehead. "Get some sleep. School tomorrow."

"Goodnight, Daddy."

"Goodnight, sweetie."

Hannah was already underneath her covers. Katie took things in her stride. Hannah had always been the more emotional of the two. She sat up and needed a long cuddle with her father as she cried. "She's a bitch," she murmured. I just shushed her, gently rubbing her back. "I hate her."

"No, you don't. Part of me regrets you were there."

"I don't regret it. We needed to hear the truth, Daddy." She leaned back and met my eyes. "She never denied it. Never said it wasn't true."

I smiled. "She couldn't. I knew the photos would show her clearly. Her and the man she was with."

"I'm sorry, Daddy."

I sighed. "So am I. But she still gave birth to you and your sister. For that, I'll always thank her."

Laying her down, I kissed her forehead as well. "Love you, Daddy."

"Love you, sweetheart."

Returning to my bedroom, I stood in the doorway, looking at the bed. Though she'd said that they'd never been to our house, I knew I'd have to completely reorganise the room. Definitely needed a new mattress. Hell, I figured moving into the office and changing the bedroom into the office would be a good idea. Sure the girls would like me being a little closer. The next few months would probably be difficult for the three of us.

I did head out for drinks on the Friday night with Tanya. Despite insinuating on the phone, it was platonic to start with. I hadn't been on a date with another woman since I was sixteen myself, but she was great company. We did share a kiss at the end of the night, with a suggestion that we could meet up at a later time. She wasn't going to rush me, more than aware my mind was all over the place.

Taking the girls to netball on the Saturday morning, Bill and Melissa kept me up to date as Claire turned up at the house. No sign of her lover, she brought her father and brother along. Claire apparently spent most of her time crying as the men got to work packing away anything I said she could take. Whether she'd told them the whole truth or not didn't really matter. The paperwork was sign and delivered. All that mattered was the divorce being settled. The sooner, the better.

Returning home that afternoon, I checked to find she'd taken all her clothing and belongings. She'd also left behind three envelopes, one addressed to myself, another each for Katie and Hannah. The latter was ready to just dump it in the bin, but I asked her to at least read it first, then if she wanted to bin it, go for it. The letter for me was the sort of apology I expected from her. No real guilt or taking of blame. I didn't just skim it. I did sit down to read it. Then I crumpled it up, put it in the sink, and burned it. Katie and Hannah added their letters to the fire.

Suzy arrived at the front door a couple of hours later. We sat outside on the patio with a beer in hand, discussing everything that happened. The one question I had was, "Did anyone actually know? Did she ever slip up and admit it?"

"No. If she had, we'd have told you straight away." I sighed with relief. At least my friends had my back. "How did you find out anyway?" she wondered.

"Her colleague at work alerted me. Said they were being very friendly and familiar with each other. She offered to keep an eye on them. When she told me about a 'business trip', I asked her colleague about it. It was complete bullshit. Immediately told Bill, who said he'd sort it for me."

"Mark, seriously, how did you tolerate it for three years?"

I took a sip of beer. "Honestly? It was the hate. Anytime I saw her around the house, it just fuelled the desire not to be another statistic, another man fucked over in court, his kids taken from him. I've practically raised them by myself since they went to school. Before then, yeah, she did the bare bloody minimum one would expect. She's always resented them in her own way. Never had a kind word to say about them. I'm there for everything. Have been there ever since she clearly didn't give a shit."

"Think it was jealousy?"

"Of her own kids?" I asked, laughing for a moment, "I mean, I guess you could look at it that way. But that just speaks of her own deep seeded insecurities if that's the case. And still no excuse to have an affair. Never spoke to me about her problems. And by the time I learned of the affair, it was too late. I didn't care enough to ask her what her problem was."

I glanced at she took a sip of beer and then grinned. "So... Going to sow some wild oats now, Mark?"

"You offering?"

"Fuck yes. Your soon to be ex-wife is a fucking idiot. You been working out?"

"It helps with the frustration. And I'll be divorced soon enough. I'm in the process of buying a new bed." I took a sip of my own beer. "I said nothing will happen before my divorce. When that's come through, want to spend the night?"

"Break in the new bed?"

"Sure."

"I'd love to." She paused. "Just sex, right? You're not looking..."

"No, Suzy. Calm your tits. We'll just have some fun." I took her hand. "How are you doing after Jamie?"

"Eh, could have been worse. He was just a prick. Had no choice but to kick the bastard out. I could see the violence coming."

"Bill and I would have sorted him out. Mike and Ryan too. Four against one..."

I did have to wait for the court hearing, but once it arrived, I had plenty of support. My brother, sister and parents. My kids came with me. Plenty of my friends for moral support. To my surprise, Claire's parents greeted me with a handshake, stating how sorry they were. Guess Claire had told them the truth. Cassandra approached and kissed my cheek. "Shame I'm not single, Mark," she whispered into my ear, "Was always a little jealous she snagged you first."

I met her eyes and grinned. "Well, now that we're adults, the three-year gap won't be a problem, at least. Ever find yourself single, and I am too, give me a call."

She smiled at me. "Good luck," she whispered.

It went as smoothly as I could hope. Claire didn't contest anything that was signed. I got sole custody. The girls took the stand and insisted they only wanted to be with me. When asked about visitation, they admitted they had no interest in continuing the relationship with their mother. That's when I heard her break down, hearing that her own children, in front of all the family, admitted how much they didn't want to be their mother. I had a bad feeling that would blow up in my face, but Melissa had that covered too, as the girls had been in therapy since that night I'd exposed their mother for what she was.

The amount of child support was more than I expected, and she had to continue paying for the house until seventy-five percent of the mortgage was paid off. She was looking at another decade, though she could easily afford it. I'd heard through the grapevine that she was now living with her lover in some big house in an affluent suburb to the east.

Walking out of the courtroom, she was brave enough to approach the kids and I. "Do you not wish to see me at all?" she asked.

They stepped behind me without a word, Claire meeting my eyes. In that moment, I almost felt sorry for her. Almost... "Think they made their feelings rather clear in there, Claire. The court may mandate visitation, but they are now old enough to decide whether they want to visit you or not. I won't force them and you can't force them either. I could be rather honest to you about your relationship with my children, but I think if you thought about it for even five minutes, you'd realise why they want nothing to do with you any longer. My advice? Run along with your lover and just forget we exist. We'll be just fine."

"Our children," she whispered.

"No, you haven't provided any sort of guidance or support in nearly ten years except for putting some money into a bank account every couple of weeks. Do you even remember their birthday if I didn't remind you? Know what year group they're in at high school? Know how they're doing at school? Know the names of their friends? Know what they're interested in, whether it's activities, music, movies, books..." She lowered her head as I was landing punches with every word. "You gave birth to them, Claire, and as I told them, for that, you will always have my thanks. You made me a father. But other than that..." I sighed. "There's really no point, Claire. My only suggestion is to give it time and maybe, just maybe, they'll change their minds."