The Client Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You just forget about me and that's yours."

"Put your money away sir. I'm just the guy who does the digging here."

"Then who should I give it to?"

"You can try the feds when they investigate."

"I'm not bribing a fed, that's suicide."

"Then put your money away and I think we're done here."

He got up and I led him to the door. I motioned to Jamie and she got him an escort to the garage.

"Are you ready for the last interview?"

"I need a few minutes first to shake that guy off."

"OK, just call and let me know."

Johnson was a real piece of work and wasn't the least bit ashamed of what they had been doing. If I was going to get everyone involved, I would need someone that no one notices or suspects, who is able to see all, and with a great memory. Someone like the old woman who was the CEO's secretary...Janice Powell. I knew I would have to be careful with her, although I didn't think she was involved, but she was in a position to know everything.

"Jamie, would you please bring in Mrs. Powell now?"

"Right away Sean."

"Sean, this is Mrs. Powell."

"How do you do Ma'am?"

"Well, thank you?"

Won't you please have a seat?"

"Why thank you young man."

"Mrs. Powell, I have a job to do here, and I think you can help me with that."

"Please call me Janice, and I hope I can help you."

"How long have you worked for Mr. Backstrom, the CEO, as his secretary?"

"Oh, just over 23 years now. I was there when he opened the firm."

"And I think you've seen some things happening there."

"Yes, I've seen a lot."

"You know what Mr. Jonas and the others have been doing, don't you?"

"Yes ma'am, I know."

"Please, you must know that Mr. Backstrom wasn't the one who did this."

"What do you mean Janice?"

"Mr. Backstrom you know, well he's not, it's Jonas all Jonas."

"Janice, please calm down. Can I get you something?"

"Yes, a cup of hot tea would be nice."

"Jamie, can we bring Mrs. Powell a cup of hot tea please?"

"Yes. Right away."

"Now you calm down and get your thoughts in order and my assistant will bring you some tea."

"Thank you young man, you're so kind."

"Now, just try to tell me what you have to say."

There was a knock on the door, I excused myself to answer it, and it was Amy with the tea.

"Thank you, Amy just set it on the desk by Mrs. Powell."

"Is there anything else I can get for you?"

"No, that will be all Amy."

Amy left and closed the door behind her, and Mrs. Powell stared at the tea cup trying not to make eye contact.

"Do you know why Mr. Backstrom started that agency?"

"No ma'am I don't. Why don't you tell me."

"Well, Mr. Backstrom is an Attorney, he just could never stand up to people. His Father always out him down for jot having a backbone and told him he could never make it in the world of law, so he started the company to prove him wrong. And he did some real good things helping people and all, that is until Mr. Jonas came on."

"Why did he bring in Jonas?"

"Mr. Backstrom used his services in a big case, and they won. Mr. Backstrom wanted to grow the agency even though I begged him not to do it with Jonas, but he had corporate clients he would bring with him, and Mr. Backstrom knew he couldn't survive in that world alone without using outside counsel. Then Jonas brought on the rest of the partners on from there."

"You make it sound like Mr. Backstrom hasn't done anything wrong, but my evidence doesn't lead me to that conclusion."

"Not at first, he didn't, but Jonas had something on him. He tried to stop it in the beginning but suddenly Jonas is ordering him around like a puppy dog and he is obeying. Jonas is not a very good man you know?"

"No, I don't think he is either, but Backstrom is the CEO and is responsible for everything that went on there."

"Yes, I understand that, and so does he, but he tried, he really did."

"May I ask you a personal question ma'am?"

"Yes, you may."

"Why have you stayed? Why didn't you just quit?"

"I was trying to protect the company from those men, like I said we did do some good work for people."

"Well, now I don't see anything good in all of this ma'am."

"No, I don't suppose you do. So how can I help?"

"I think you can fill in some of the blanks I have. Would you be willing to help me with that?"

"Yes, I would but relying on an old woman's memory might not be as easy as you might think."

"I think your memory is all I have to rely on ma'am."

"You have Mr. Backstroke Brother, I'm sure he could help you. He's a good man."

"I'm not familiar with Mr. Backstrom's brother. What department did he work in?"

"Oh, he didn't work for the company, he owns the IT company that provides all the computers and phones."

"And how do you think he can help me?"

"A long time ago, before Jonas came, I overheard a conversation between him and Mr. Backstrom. Mr. Backstrom told him that he wanted back up files on everything that went on there."

"Are you telling me there are digital back up files?"

"Yes, for the last 20 years or so. Every computer, every phone, text, email, and security tape."

"I heard of a special laptop Mrs. Barnes had. Would that be backed up also."

"Well, I Imagine of they got it through the company IT program?"

"And how to I get ahold of Mr. Backstrom's Brother?"

"Let me see."

She got out her phone and gave me the company name and Jerry Backstrom's cell number."

"I think you just helped me a great deal ma'am. Can we talk again if I need you?"

"Certainly, young man, I can see that you're a good man too. But please try to help Mr. Backstrom?"

"I don't know what I can do to help him. I'm just trying to unravel this mess and get to the truth."

"Yes, it certainly is a mess. I hope you do well young man."

"Thank you again Mrs. Powell. You were a great help."

"Jamie, could you come in and show Mrs. Powell out."

"Right away Sean."

"Oh, I met her coming in, such a nice young girl."

"Yes ma'am, yes she is."

After she left Jamie came to the door.

"Was she as helpful as you hoped?"

"How did you know what I was hoping for?"

"As soon as I saw her file and position, I put two and two together."

"Maybe you should be applying for this job?"

"Oh no, I'm happy doing what I'm doing. I don't need to wade into this type of mess everyday."

"A woman who knows what she wants, how refreshing."

"A man like you, I'm sure I'm not the first one of us that you've met."

"You are very intuitive, aren't you?"

"I Just watch and listen, something everyone should do more I think."

"I think you're right. I'm going to take a break and a walk before writing up my report."

"You have your card, just lock the door when you leave."

"Thank you, Jamie you've been a big help all day."

"I'm glad I could assist."

I went for a walk and got my thoughts in order before returning to write my report. I ran into John, or did he run into me, along the way.

"Well, how is it going Sean?"

"I'm done with my investigation and still have to write my report."

"You don't look any worse for wear?"

"No, it wasn't difficult, but some of it was unsettling."

"Sean, let me tell you something. Sometimes people are amazing and beautiful, and they impress you with their actions. Other times people are ugly, and they disgust you with what they say and do. None of that reflects on you and nine of that should be carried by you. It's all about how you handle it that shows who you are."

"It sounds to me like you were listening in all day."

"No, I told you that you were in there alone, and you were. No audio, no video, and no recordings. The only recordings are on your laptop if you decided to press the button to record. This entire day was governed by you. That being said, Jamie did keep me abreast on you interview list, but not any of the content, if she was even privy to any of it."

"I did ask her in to give me a little advice at one point."

"Well, you couldn't have had a better person to advise you than her."

"Yes, she was very helpful all day."

"I'm glad, I wanted you to have the best team around you as I could possibly provide."

"You seem to have many good and responsible people working here."

"That's my philosophy, have only the best people and you'll end up with the best product."

"Well, I should get going on my report."

"Yes, and have Jamie call me when you're done. I would like to speak to you afterwards."

"No problem, John."

He left and I was about to go back and get started, but I felt like playing one of our games with Pat's, so I sent her a few texts, then returned to work."

I worked for about an hour and an half outing my report and recommendations together, then walked out to see Jamie.

"Jamie, John asked me to have you call him when I was done. Also, I don't know if I turn this laptop into you, or do I just leave it in there or what?"

"No, you hold that laptop until you turn it over to John and John only. I will give him a call and let him know you want to see him."

"John, Sean has completed his report and wishes to see you. Alright, I'll let him know. He said he'll meet you in the courtyard where you were this morning."

"Thank you again Jamie, you were very helpful today."

"Thank you, Sean, and you were pleasant to work with also."

I walked out to the courtyard and took a seat where we had sat earlier. It wasn't long before John met me there.

"Well, all complete?"

"Yes John, in all its sorted content."

"We are not in a secure location Sean. We cannot discuss anything here."

"Then why did you meet me here?"

"I'll read your report and look over the documents and recommendations up in my office."

"So, what is next?"

"I'm going to hand you two envelopes, but I don't want you to open them until after you leave, is that OK with you?"

"Yes, of course."

"This first one is your compensation for the day. I'm sure you'll be pleased. The second is an invitation for tonight, you and your wife and me and mine. If you're not to burnt out just call the number and a will pick you up. The time and suggested dress are included with the invite letter."

"And may I ask, when do I get an idea of what you think of my performance today?"

"Tonight, either in person at dinner or I can call you later, whichever you prefer."

"Thank you, But I don't make dinner plans without checking with Pat's first, and I don't put her on the spot. I'll ask her in person tonight."

"Smart man."

"She is my partner, and she gets a say in everything."

"I treat my wife the same way. She hates when I schedule things for her."

He handed me the envelopes and we said our goodbyes. I walked out not knowing if I passed this test or not, but I was confident in the work I did. Pat's was going to be so excited I made it up this far in the interview process with a big firm. I left and saw it was late, and I had to take three busses to catch the path train, so I got going.

Pat's has told you everything that happened once we got together and when we initially got home. From there on is in chapter three and beyond."

Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

She Can Do No Wrong Loving Eyes Can Never Seein Loving Wives
The Billy Goat Hill Pundits Screwed, blued, and tattooed.in Loving Wives
Happenstance Ch. 01 Matt Receives an unexpected visitor.in Loving Wives
We Need to Talk Pt. 01 A wife discovers you need to be careful what you wish for.in Loving Wives
The Proposal A young newly married couple receive a proposal.in Loving Wives
More Stories