The Conquered's Choice Pt. 02

Story Info
Ravish or Relinquish. A noble warrior fights temptation.
44.1k words
4.54
9.8k
18

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/24/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coax_me
coax_me
379 Followers

Trigger warning: Contains battlefield violence, slightly gory at times. Despite the subject matter there are no explicit scenes of male on female rape, but there are references made to it. However there is female-on-male coercion, reluctance, cheating and betrayal.

This is part 2 of a two-part story, and will likely make little to no sense if you haven't read part 1.

*

The Conquered's Choice

Part 2

*******

3 Days later,

Volren shook the hand of the Conduran general with a wide welcoming smile. "It is good to see you Harxon,"

"Arch-Chieftan Volren," Harxon said, smiling back in a stern but respecting way. "It has been some time."

"Much has changed," Volren said. "We deeply appreciate your growing support, I hope you know that. You and your soldiers will be a valuable addition to our cause here."

"In truth it feels like you barely need us," Harxon replied. "You have this war all but won. We brought far more food and supplies than men, seeing it's probably what you need most, so you don't go hungry waiting for this oaf of a king to see the writing on the wall."

"We will appreciate that too," Volren said with a smile. "These men behind me are our chieftains," he gestured to the others.

He introduced them by name, Crolsef among them, looking pale but standing on two legs nonetheless.

"Bring any mead as well?" Karndel asked as he shook the man's hand firmly.

Harxon smiled, "Of course. We're expecting a victory celebration soon are we not? Though us Condurans prefer a lighter brew than you Kelviks."

Karndel shrugged with a crooked smile, "It'll do."

Harxon continued down the line shaking hands, and said, "You have chosen a cunning leader. He coaxed our avoidant duke out of hiding by hamstringing our city in the only way possible by diverting the river away from our mill. His forces probably could have fought their way in, but it would have been bloody on both sides. I'm sure he understood that, and we respected it in hindsight. I'm glad you were able to forgive our deceit as your forces left, Volren. The king's threats had been vicious."

"I too can understand, in retrospect Harxon, and you've more than made up for it now. I hope your mill is running well again."

"It is, and our trade with Gerundia - thanks again to you, has bolstered our resources enough that we can more than afford to supply you well here. More is on the way in case this king decides to draw out this siege for weeks, though I doubt he can."

"Great news for sure. You've lifted our spirits and taken away much of our uncertainty Harxon," Vol said.

"Were you really uncertain enough to believe Delvor's dirty lies about us turning sides again?" Harxon said with an amused frown. "I promise you, Condurans do not take sides easily or lightly, and when we do, we honour our decision."

"I didn't really, but in times like these we must consider all possibilities," Vol said with a shrug. "We've been trying to put to rest his claim of an approaching army from the remaining regions, coming to support him. We are fairly certain there is nothing within a few days from here at least, but some tell rumours of something brewing further off."

Harxon threw his head back in a boisterous laugh. "Timely! It just so happens the next thing was going to show you was this!"

He handed him a paper with elaborate writing.

"A letter of support from Wegland. Though they are physically distant from Condura, our trade relationship runs deep, as they prize our finer cuts of lumber for their artisans. We have long been allies, and we have easily convinced them to lend their support, as your reputation precedes you, Volren."

Vol smiled as he read the letter.

"An army does indeed approach," Harxon said. "But not for the king. They have levied forces from two of their smaller neighbours in addition to their own. They should be here in two or three weeks. I suspect the king already knew this when he spoke with you. I suppose he wagered you might hear of the army, but not of their allegiance, and fear the worst. The fool."

The other chieftains laughed in delight, but Volren knew how nervous it had made them, and how close the king's lie had been to working.

"From what we have heard, the other remaining regions prefer to sit and watch, staying neutral. No one comes to save this king from his failure," Harxon explained. "Rejoice Volren! Your victory looms near."

Vol smiled and gave another hearty handshake with Harxon, and the other chieftains gave a small cheer, calling for mead-jugs despite the early-morning hour. The men mingled with the new warriors, talking and joking and comparing weapons.

Volren could barely believe it. He had, in his day-dreams as a boy, imagined of one day being a chieftain, or even the Arch-Chieftain, though even that seemed like a ridiculous fantasy. He had never once, in his wildest dreams considered the possibility of being king. Even in the last few days and weeks, it never had quite seemed like a true possibility, but now it was coalescing into reality.

His feelings mixed in so many directions. His mind spun with all he would need to do, all he would need to learn, who he would need to keep close, and keep distant, who would help him, who would be a liability. So many decisions, and so little certainty.

*******

1 week later,

A loud cheer rose up triumphantly from Volren's army as the large white flag lifted above the city walls, flapping gloriously in the wind to signal the king's surrender.

The warriors and chieftains around him shared ecstatic shouts of victory and hugs, slapping shoulders and backs and laughing in jubilation.

"It worked!" Karndel shouted, shaking Vol's shoulders excitedly. "You sly, convincing bastard, it worked!"

Vol smiled.

They had been starting to have their doubts about how long the king might try to hold out, and what he might do out of increased desperation. Brief skirmishes of archers, being more of an annoyance than a threat, were most of what had transpired since the assassination attempt. A couple of mangonels had been built on the wall to launch flaming balls of pitch at them, but simply backing up the army line by 50 feet made them all but useless. They had tried and failed once to breach the gate with a battering ram. They had been constructing a larger one, but Vol had almost wanted it to fail. He had feared the bloody rout and the chaos that would follow if they were to invade the city by force.

He had eventually taken inspiration from Zea and her letters. Two days ago, as he daydreamed of her, he had the idea of simply appealing to the people of the city. He would send them his own letters of his intentions and petition for their support in overthrowing their failed king. It was simply a question of how.

After discussing it with the chiefs they decided the letters should be signed by everyone of importance OTHER than Volren, asking the people to join them in their adoption of Volren as their new king, who would spare their lives, share their food and drink, and rule with honour, in working to reinvigorate their broken realm. They decided to scribe out dozens of copies and attach them to dulled arrows to launch over the walls and into the city.

They weren't sure if anything would come from it. However, last night there had been sounds of some type of disturbance, and then smoke from at least one fire inside the walls. Now, in the early afternoon, finally, the white flag flew.

Vol wondered if they had killed the king themselves or if he had finally seen reason. He saw the gate lower and a rider with another white flag on his saddle trot out towards him with five others following. He would get his answer soon enough.

"I come in good faith with a message from King Delvor, to Volren of Kelvia!" the rider shouted from under his helm as he approached.

Volren stepped forward as the rider stopped. "What does he say?"

"The king invites you into his city and bids you to meet him in his palace today, to discuss the terms of his peaceful abdication."

"Does he simply invite me or my army as well?" Vol asked.

The rider hesitated.

"No matter, my army will enter regardless," Volren said. Then shouted louder so those on the walls might hear it, "Send this message not only to the king, but to his generals, his army, and his citizens. I accept the king's plea to abdicate peacefully. If he agrees to hand over the city and the crown without bloodshed, I will spare his life to be exiled. My warriors will enter your city peacefully and shake hands with your citizens as brethren of the realm. If they are hungry, we will share our food. If they are thirsty, we will share our mead. Just as our letters promised. I hope that tonight will be a night of celebration, and tomorrow will truly be a new dawn for the realm."

The messenger nodded, "I will repeat your words to the king and the people in the city as well. Unless you wish to follow me now and tell them yourselves."

Volren shook his head, "No. We will approach the gate in three hours and enter the city then."

The messenger nodded again, seeming unsurprised, "As you wish. We await your approach," he said with a flat voice and then turned to ride away.

Volren turned to face his army and his chiefs, with a cautious determined smile.

"Gather all the chiefs to meet in my command tent," Volren instructed. "Get the army to gather what they wish before they enter the city, and instruct the warriors to prepare to greet the citizens peacefully and fraternally, but to have their weapons handy, and keep their eyes open, just in case."

His heart raced with nervous anticipation. He wasn't sure when it would stop.

*******

"Are you sure Balia?" Volren asked. "I feel like I'll be less nervous if you're at least nearby. By rights you should be next to me, at my side."

"Yes I'm sure," she said. "I know I probably should be, but I'm worried the moment I see Delvor or Zarina, my tempers will flare and I might do or say something that would ruin the whole ordeal. I don't want to put your crown or the city in jeopardy."

Vol sighed, reluctantly agreeing in his mind that she might be right, "Okay, whatever you think is best."

"Thank you. I'm... really not sure I'm ready to face the inside of that palace just yet either. Let me stay a warrior-maiden this one last time," she said with a tight smile.

Vol gave a more genuine smile back and kissed her. She kissed back only briefly and hesitantly before pulling away.

"I'll wait for you there, until you're ready to join me afterwards, my warrior-maiden queen," he said, giving his best optimistic grin, but she winced at the title.

"Stay safe Volren. Remember yourself," she said with a flat face, but a look of worry in her eyes.

He almost thought he would see another rare tear form in her eye, but she quickly regained her hard composure and gave him one last squeeze on his shoulder before turning away.

Vol watched her uneasily for a moment, then turned and walked the other way to the front of the procession. Balia had been colder and more distant as the days wore on. Everyone's spirits in general had grown doubtful as the days of the siege had grown, but after the white flag had flown she had been the only one that still remained stiff and uneasy. He could guess why. The same nervousness of his impending title plagued him as well, but although he could sympathize, he couldn't help feeling disappointed that she still seemed so avoidant of rising to the occasion, as he had tried to do.

She had been irritable not only to him, but to the other warrior maidens as well. Irritable was putting it lightly in their case. She took every opportunity to take out her frustrations on them and bite orders at them despite not technically being in charge. Vol wasn't sure if her eating her meals separately from them now was her decision or theirs. He was afraid to ask about any of it, not knowing if all of it was simply uncontrolled stress, or her practicing her version of being a queen.

He tried to tell himself just to give her time, and continue to have faith in her, as he always had.

He reached the front of the long line to join the five chieftains who would accompany him into the palace along with a hefty guard of warriors. The rest would stay with their army on the streets, to mingle with, and more importantly assess, the soldiers and people of the city. He gave the signal and they started off towards the gate.

Doubts started to form in his mind as the gate stayed lifted and his eyes couldn't help scanning the walls for archers in case this had all been a ruse to get him within arrow-shot.

To his relief, a clang sounded and the rattle of chains echoed over the walls as the heavy gate lowered slowly to reach the ground just as they approached.

General Quorn stood immediately beyond the gate with his neutral stern face, and a dozen or so royal soldiers behind him. Volren walked up to him and took an offered hand.

"Volren of Kelvia, I am General Quorn of Alanaris. I am here to escort you to the palace."

"I am glad to finally meet you properly General. I appreciate the respect you've shown."

Quorn nodded flatly, "The king... has instructed me to inform you that, though your army may enter the city, he wishes only you and no more than twelve of your warriors to attend the palace... unarmed."

Vol shook his head and grinned, "And do you honestly expect me to obey, Quorn?"

Quorn almost turned his stern mouth up in the slightest of smiles, "No."

"I will take as many warriors as I see fit into the palace to ensure my safety," Vol said confidently.

Quorn nodded, "As one would expect. I clearly have no power to stop you. So may we proceed?"

Vol smirked and nodded, "We may."

Quorn turned stiffly and marched with his group of soldiers into the main street beyond. Soldiers lined the edge of the street, clearly for the purpose of controlling the crowd and he grew concerned that he might arrive at the palace covered in rotten fruit. He soon realized though, that they were there not to control their anger, but their excitement.

Wide eyes and amazed smiles from a variety of faces stared out at him from the thick crowd. After a few minutes of walking down the wide street, and giving a few small respectful smiles and nods, he began to hear occasional cheers. It slowly spread, with more people talking and eventually shouting. By the time they were halfway to the palace, the crowd had been whipped up into a throng of cheers and shouts.

"Volren the hero!"

"Volren the liberator!"

"Death to Delvor!"

He couldn't help smiling more proudly, offering occasional salutes and waves which brought the cheers louder.

He also heard a few shouts that gave him food for thought.

"Let the Queen live!"

"Spare the good Queen Zarina!"

As they continued on and the cheers grew, he looked behind himself to see Karndel beating his sword hilt to his chest with a wide giddy smile and shouting back in boisterous approval. Even Crolsef had an amused smirk behind his proud, wrinkled face, and eyes that seemed to glow with disbelief.

He knew it was pointless to even try to stop himself from thinking of Zea. Was she among the crowd? When and how would he find her? He was sure that much of this was thanks to her, and her rumours and efforts. His army's arrow-letters could only have fanned flames that were already there. This was her victory as much as his. He wanted to ask Quorn and the other soldiers if they knew her, or to simply shout her name into the crowd, but he knew it would be foolish.

At least he did until they started climbing the hill into the nobleman's district closer to the palace. He had already thought she might be here if she was anywhere. The crowd was less wild now, but a din of supportive words still surrounded them. Shortly after they started up the incline, he heard a woman's voice over the buzz of the crowd.

"Volren!" she shouted.

Others had shouted his name along his path and he had simply waved back, but this time, he looked to his left to see a woman, who looked to be in her mid-twenties. She waved at him with a certain hope on her face, and smiled when he looked at her. She had long tightly curled brown hair, a modestly pretty face and a fit womanly figure under her green dress. Could it be?

He held her gaze and gave a cautious wave. She smiled back excitedly, and jumped down from the doorstep she had been perched on and pushed her way through the crowd. Vol couldn't help himself and walked over to meet her.

"Arch-chieftain I suggest you stay with the soldiers pl-..."

"Just a moment!" Vol shouted back.

The woman found her way to the edge of the crowd looking ecstatic that he was coming to meet her.

"Volren!" she cried out again.

"Zea!?" he said, almost sure it must be her.

"I... What?" she said furrowing her brow.

"Is your name Zea?" Vol asked hopefully.

She giggled cutely, "No it's Lilla. You're even more handsome than the stories told! Are you married yet?" she asked, starry-eyed, with her open cleavage heaving in excitement."

"N-... no." Vol said automatically in confusion, which quickly turned to disappointment when he realized his stupid mistake. "It was a pleasure to meet you Lilla." he said turning away with a polite smile.

"Will you throw a ball?!" She jumped up and down and yelled after him. "Can you invite me?"

He didn't turn around and tried to stifle his embarrassment as he returned to the line of soldiers. He continued on, keeping a dignified face as his cheeks cooled, walking up the slope to the palace gates.

Well-dressed nobleman gave considering looks and respectful nods to him as he walked by and their surroundings grew slowly quieter.

One pompous looking man with a curled mustache confidently walked past the soldiers and up to Volren to shake his hand and walk beside him.

"King Volren! Well met! I am Lord Ferlin, I am sure you have heard of our fine house. I am co-head of the Alanari chamber of commerce and was instrumental in the... efforts that lead to Delvor seeing reason this day."

Quorn turned around with a scowl, "That's enough Ferlin, we have no time for boot-licking."

"I am simply wishing to introduce myself," Ferlin insisted with an acidic smile. "Do find me after everything is said and done, I am sure we will have many long conversations about how we can finally start to truly prosper. The city that is... and the Realm of course."

Vol gave a polite smile, but felt himself cringe inside at the man's pretentious self-interested airs. He had known he would be in for this sort of thing, but it was a sobering reminder of what he had yet to face,

They finally came to the tall stone palace surrounded by a moat at the top of the street, and another heavy gate slowly swung down. Two guards looked at Quorn doubtfully.

One of them started, "The king's instructions were t-..."

"I know what his damn instructions were," Quorn bit back in annoyance.

Volren spoke as authoritatively as he could, "The king is no longer in control. I have my army inside your gates and I have agreed to meet with Delvor peacefully, but I will see to my own safety and security as I wish."

The guard reluctantly nodded and led them inside. Volren, five chieftains, and thirty warriors filed through the wide arch in the thick stone wall and into a small courtyard. There were archways in three directions but they were led to the widest one straight ahead of them, and under another thick wall which opened up into a massive, grand courtyard with lush trees and three ornate fountains.

Vol was stopped from entering by a line of soldiers.

"Quorn, they were supposed to be unarmed," the man in the center said.

"They're not that stupid Leff, we all knew they wouldn't be," Quorn muttered. "He means to stay peaceful, just let him in."

coax_me
coax_me
379 Followers