The End Of The World Is Nigh!

Story Info
The End Of The World Is Nigh!
759 words
4.04
1k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bn2f
Bn2f
86 Followers

ENTERED INTO THE 750 Word Project 2024

I sat at the corner table next to the window as Daniel got in line ordering us coffee. This had become our Saturday morning routine after a week of work and not seeing each other. This spot in our favorite pastry shop afforded us a perfect view of passersby as well as others entering the store to get a morning bite and caffeine.

"You noticed the couple standing behind you?" I asked.

"You mean the woman who's fidgeting because she invited the guy beside her home after an impulsive night of partying but now is regretful and wishes him gone?"

This is exactly why I adored my husband! Last weekend, I needed comforting so he massaged my shoulders throughout our whole stay, but this weekend he knew I was in need of some comic relief.

"Yes," I said picking up the baton and running, "She's awaiting her opportunity."

The man leaned into the woman's ear and she pointed him towards the restroom.

"There's her chance!" Daniel whispered and we both started laughing to ourselves.

Staring out the shop window, I see a man walking dangerously amongst traffic holding a sign warning of the world's imminent end.

"What could be his story?" I wondered aloud.

"Oh, I know!" Daniel answered eagerly, "It's February, right?"

"Yea."

"Well, every February, Literotica hosts a challenge to its readers to write a story in 750 words."

"Okay..."

"That gentleman there," he continued, "Was once a distinguished writer on the site having published numerous stories that received acknowledgment and awards. Attempting the challenge cost him his mind. Now, he imagines seeing human sacrifices everywhere, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA! So, come February, he annually trots out his sign to warn."

"You're kidding, right? Let's ignore, for now, why you know of this particular site," I replied, thoroughly enjoying watching Daniel begin squirming, "Please, tell me more about this challenge."

"The genius is in its simplicity. The site allows any lengthy story you care, but there's a 750 word minimum to get your efforts published. A member wondered if it was possible to write a cohesive story with a beginning, middle, and end within that minimal framework, thus, originating the challenge."

"That's it?" I asked.

"Well, there's also various categories you could place your story under," he explained, "But, yeah, that's about it."

"I can do that!" I boasted.

"Whoa! Slow your roll there, missy," Daniel chuckled, "I love you too much to let you cause anguish to yourself."

"As a corporate recruiter, I read resumes all day from graduates wanting employment," I said reaching for my laptop, "I'm practically an expert on being succinct."

Daniel pointed back to the man who was now having a sustained and heated argument with his shadow.

"Word is he once was an English teacher," lamented Daniel.

I rolled my eyes and diligently started typing.

"You're making this a 2 cups coffee morning," he said walking back to the counter.

"I'm already halfway done," I said bragging.

Daniel handed me a fritter upon returning and asked, "Well?"

"Finished!" I proclaimed, sliding him my laptop.

"The World's Greatest Bank Robber," he read to the ending, ultimately commenting, "Some rough edges, but, overall, not bad."

"I'm publishing it," I declared, hitting 'Submit'.

"Wait!" Daniel cautioned.

BAM!

The banged fist against glass scared me into spilling coffee over my laptop. With face pressed against window, the disheveled, wild-eyed man screamed, "We're doomed! You've doomed us ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!" his voice trailing as he ran frantically away.

"It's the end of the world as your laptop knows it," Daniel sang as I stood frowning, unamused.

Walking out the shop, a pigeon swooped in snatching the fritter directly from my hand!

"Nothing to see here," Daniel deadpanned, "Just God's creatures reclaiming dominance before the end."

Later, in bed, I asked Daniel if he really thought my piece needed more polishing.

He just turned, grumbling himself to sleep.

Annoyed, I went to our home computer attempting to "edit" my story and succeeded in enlarging it past 1000 words! Growing increasingly frustrated with the whole damned process, I grudgingly deleted everything I'd written.

I slumped onto our couch and on the television came breaking news of an undetected, rogue asteroid that had somehow bypassed early warning sensors and just narrowly missed hitting Earth.

Smiling, I returned to bed not fretting over any confounding 750 word challenge!

I slept comfortably knowing my deletion had spared my sanity as well as having the small added benefit of saving all mankind.

Bn2f
Bn2f
86 Followers