All Comments on 'The Last Man Standing'

by fanfare

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
BEING THE LAST ONE OF ANYTHING

doesn't allow much for friendships. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
what ?

Can I have my 15 mins back?

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Total waste

Reading that was a total waste of time. One of the worst stories I've read here, though not quite as badly written as some.

C_frommnC_frommnover 9 years ago
Last Man?

Lets hope there is more to the Story. it was just getting good then you leave everything hanging.

Still a Good Read.

TobyT915TobyT915over 9 years ago
Different but Cool!

In your own way, you have written a cool story about good finally beating evel. Though your style is different, your story telling is cool, keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good Stuff

Really enjoyed your story.

I do hope that there will be another episode

new_readernew_readerover 9 years ago

A nice story with your unique brand of humor, sir. Why is it in the mature category though? This dude can't have been more than 30.

Also I'm curious about the one statement 'Must of been just before you mustered out?'. When did we start replacing 'have' with 'of'? Cuz' I have been seeing it more and more often these days in several stories and comments here. Do people really speak like this or is it only while writing something down they use it?

fanfarefanfareover 9 years agoAuthor
deliberative

new_reader, I deliberately chose the Mature category for this story because it is about mature subjects. Adults acting like adults when confronted by perpetual juvenile delinquents. In a fictionally reasonable manner.

If you read over my small body of posted stories you will notice that I am always experimenting. Attempting to give a realistic voice to my fictional (and sometimes not-so-fictional) characters. As I hear or have heard real people speak.

My writing is confrontational and bluntly impolite to those I loathe. I piss on the religion of academic english. And am never afraid to explore the frontiers of the unpopular idea.

I hope that I will continue to produce work that even if it isn't satisfactory or enjoyable, will encourage you to think about the issues I raise.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
interesting if somewhat frustrating read.

I had such a hard time trying to figure out just where-in-the-hell this was supposed to be located at, town used for your setting. The dialect-as-character-developoment ploy was challenging, if not effective. My best guess was Virginia(?), because of "Falling River", but the highway numbers didn't make sense. And why would folks from Virginia Long for the likes of Grant and Sherman to return to the POTUS job, and deride the "dixiecrats"?

I admit my own ignorance of Politics and Local-flavored regional biases might have added to my confusion here.

Hard to believe that Aztec was the ONLY ethnic member of the town, or was that in and of itself, part of the joke that these people only "see what they want to see, and ignore the rest"?

I get that each story you write is intentionally designed to be an experiment. But I wonder.....

If you use anything near approaching a method to your madness?

I appreciated (quite a bit, actually) the unique flavor and charm that you piled on high into this piece. But I left it wondering, what was the point? This isn't to say that it was bad, or unenjoyable, but more of: "what exactly was he trying to accomplish with this"? It seemed more an exercise in attempts at dialectal writing than an experiment in communicating a specific message, moral, or theme.

Also, I might add that your choice of category IS jarring, and although I read your comment explaining your reasoning, I found that explanation unsatisfactory. The mature category is a section devoted to a specific thing. I guess you made an assumption as to the age demographic of the "target audience", but really this story should just have ended up in non-erotic. Despite the nurse-like sex with the twins at the end, I don't think this story contained enough "erotic" content for any of the other categories. That said, I kinda wish it had. If you had spent more time developing the twins as characters, and talking more about his history in pursuing them, and LESS time spent on politics and racism, well then, I could have seen this as a Romance entry. But again it was your story to tell, so fine, and whatever. But know that it just wasn't clear what it was, exactly, that you were trying to say with it.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your "experimental" efforts, and your contributions to the discussions that rage throughout the various categories on this site.

racfguyracfguyover 8 years ago
WTF????

This was the hardest-reading story I have seen in a long time. Didn't make much sense either. Authors attempt at the "hillbilly" dialect was a big fail.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Very nice story...

...just tired of rednecks always being thought of as racist.

Being a blue collar myself it gets annoying.

AngelRiderAngelRider11 months ago

You absolutely sucked at writing in dialect. The dialogue was atrocious. Why this story scores above 4 is entirely baffling.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous