The Law of Jungle Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After some time, the crowd melted away, replaced by a group of men. Old men, with their barbed wire-thin and muscled, with holes in their septa and wearing fur headbands with white feathers. The place housed perhaps seven different families. She heard babies crying, a strange language being spoken, fires crackling. Pakul introduced one of the old men. He was his father whose name was Sasang. Sasang bowed his head before Debika and in turn, Debika also bowed her head before the old man in respect. Pakul ushered her inside the hut. Debika found a comfortable bed of leaves with a coarse cloth served as a bedsheet, an earthen pot for drinking water, she placed her backpack in a corner of the hut, and came outside.

Debika found the group of old men along with Sasang, Pakul, and Jojam sitting cross-legged in a circle on the ground outside of her hut. Sasang brought out tobacco and the men each took a palmful and rolled it inside the big tendu leaves which resembled a big cheroot. They talked and smoked. They talked and talked, mostly in their language, and Debika listened but couldn't understand. It was too colloquially, for her to understand. The first thing she noticed was that the tribes wore very limited amounts of clothing. When the men eventually trickle out, Pakul's mother, a half-naked old woman with sagging bare breasts brought a bunch of ripe yellow bananas,6 nos of big ripe mangoes, and two yellow ripe big pineapples and ripe yellow papaya.

Gelango was a strapping young boy with a big, easy smile and a high-pitched laugh. He grabbed a bunch of her bags and announced that both brothers will be staying with her and assist her in her job.

Gelango said to Deboshree, "Madam, we have made a hut for you near the river. We two brothers will be staying in another hut near you. Tomorrow, we all will go inside the deep jungle in search of those valuable herbs."

Gelango and his brother Samango led Deboshree through their village and immediately they were surrounded by tribal women and children. For a good gesture, Deboshree distributed chocolates and sweets among them. They went ahead and reached the end of the village which was near the river. Deboshree could see two huts on the bank of the river, most probably meant for her and two brothers. In a clearing along the riverbank rose a sight from the Stone Age. A foundation of poles supported the rectangular framework for the new Bachler house, to which the walls and roof would soon be attached.

A circle of men with drums were sitting in the center, near the two huts. Around them, others were sitting and lying. The villagers were there to welcome them. An old man in the circle motioned them, patted the floor. Deboshree with two boys sat beside them on earth. The men were decked out with dog teeth and boar tusks, peacock feathers sprouting from their hair and headbands, their faces painted ochre or black. The older men were spotted with pig bones or shells in their septa. Chamtu, the man Deboshree sat next to, was the spiritual and cultural head of the village. He had the high cheekbones and physique of raw muscle and bone and black skin, which was smeared with red paint. After some time, Deboshree could see a group of women and children came with various fruits and entered one of the huts assigned for her. Suddenly they started to emerge. At first, she saw a woman with a child at her breast, then gradually more women arrived bearing gifts: fat, juicy fruits wrapped in leaves.

Gelango said, "Madam, that is your hut where women of the village are keeping fruits for your lunch."

It was afternoon, Deboshree entered into her hut and found a heap of various wild fruits including Jackfruits, pineapples, bananas, and mangoes. Deboshree breathed a sigh of relief as she was feeling hungry and bit into the fruits. They were tasty and nourishing, with a taste of sweetness. She was encircled by naked women and children who were looking at her anxiously and were smiling. After finishing her lunch, suddenly Deboshree heard the sound of the beating of drums outside her hut. The women and children left her and rushed outside. Deboshree could hear the beating of drums accompanied by songs in the female voice. She came out from her hut. She could see Gelango and Samango were beating drums, men and children were dancing in the tune of the beating of drums with songs from women, sweat pouring from them. Deboshree was mesmerized by witnessing such a marvelous scene.

Gelango said in a high voice, "Madam, this is for your honor. Our village people are welcoming you."

Other men were blowing horns, which sounded like foghorns. They moved in a round manner. More men appeared, women did too, some in grass skirts, their knees flapping as they danced like cassowaries (A kind of flightless bird-like Emu). They howled and yelled, a wild free-for-all of unadulterated joy and abandon of culture that stretched back beyond memory. Deboshree gulped, then welled up in tears. It was powerful and beautiful and unfiltered; it was pure and rich and of earth and river.

Debasish and Dipankar were sitting in the hall.

Debasish said, "Dipankar, our fathers, and wives have left for river bank for searching stones. We both cannot sit idle."

"You are right, Debasish. Let us help our kids in their project works. Let us call them here and we can have a discussion with them," said Dipankar.

Both Arpita and Bipasha came down. They sat with their uncles in a distance not to disturb each other with their discussion.

"Arpita, what's your project?" asked Dipankar.

"Uncle, I have to prepare for a field study of the life cycle of a creature that belongs to the Lizard family. You advised for a field study of a chameleon," said Arpita.

"Yes, because the Indian chameleon would be easily available everywhere, particularly in the jungle. We have to find and chase it, study it from very nearby. We have to observe its movement throughout the day. I think, you have brought your camera, we have to take necessary various snaps of it," replied Dipankar.

"Uncle, should we catch it?" asked Arpita excitedly.

"Not necessarily. Although it is a harmless creature and it would not bite, if it is necessary, we would catch it which is not an easy task. We have to catch it through the net. But, our first task is to find its abode and study it. Get ready with your camera, in the afternoon after lunch, we both would go inside the jungle to trace it out," advised Dipankar.

On the other corner of the hall, Bipasha was saying, "Uncle, I have been assigned for a field study of 5 nos of plants, Two big plants, i.e., Big trees and three small plants. Then I have to collect saplings of these plants and plant these on earth so that I could exhibit these before my professor. I have to prepare a paper for each plant with detailed study, its photographs, special features, and its usages."

Debasish thought for a moment then said, "OK, first we have to go to the jungle and see the saplings of which plants are easily available so that we could plant those here, in the garden of Bungalow. Let us go inside the jungle today in the afternoon with your camera."

Arpita followed Dipankar inside the jungle and they must have walked around 2 K.M. away from Bungalow. Some of the leaves of the trees and open grasses were dried up due to the scorching heat of the sun and this part of the jungle was tannin-brown. The grass was crispy under their feet. The twigs were crunching under their feet. They looked up and the trees were skyscrapers tall. The trees were the towers of the forest.

Hares were scampering away from them up ahead. Arpita heard a wildcat slinking away. Wood sorrel flecked the blanket of grass. They walked in and out of shady glades. Nuts were scattered on the floor of the forest. The beauty of the forest comforted their hearts. The peace of the afternoon was soul-soothing. The forest's smell was fresh and organic. The smell of the forest was pulpy. They picked some wild pears and they were meadowsweet. It drew her to a berry bush. She ate one and it tasted rich. They picked some berries and they tasted orchard sweet.

Then Arpita suddenly grabbed the hand of her uncle and whispered, "Uncle, ssshhhhhhh. Just look at near the bush. That is chameleon."

Dipankar silently took the camera and fixed the lens towards the chameleon which was nodding its head near the bush. Dipankar took few snaps but the creature might have felt their presence, suddenly it jumped and vanished inside the bush. Both of them tried to trace it out but couldn't find it.

"These creatures are very sensitive and fast. Today is our first day, we would try to find more nos of chameleons in other parts of the jungle as it would be difficult to study a single creature. We have to find a place in the jungle where we could see more nos of chameleons. Let us come tomorrow once again to these nearby sites," said Dipankar.

The forest Debasish and Bipasha entered was teak-green and primitive. The grasses they stepped on were crackly beneath their feet because of the recent dry spell. Both of them were in awe of the size and majesty of the trees. Their knotted arms rose ever upwards, as far as her head could lift. They were hoary fortresses and stood proudly. The orchestra of birdsong they could hear from them suddenly stopped. A pair of Indian blue jays were screeching high up in the canopy of the trees. Jays were the scavengers of the bird world but they looked beautiful because of their blue color.

"Beautiful birds!" exclaimed Bipasha.

They could see wild basil growing freely on the clumpy, mossy mattress of the floor. The simpering wind carried a fragrance with it. It was spirit refreshing to smell the mulchy mix of the forest's perfume. Debasish plucked few ripe custard apples from nearby small trees. They ate a few custard apples which were meaty white with black seeds inside.

"Yummy, Uncle. These are so sweet," said Bipasha.

But Debasish was busy near shrubs and bush to search for something.

Debasish called, "Bipasha, come here with that digging bar."

Bipasha handed him a small digging bar. Debasish started digging a small plant from its root. Then again, he searched for something in nearby shrubs and started digging another small plant. Like this, he collected saplings of three small plants with their roots.

"Bipasha, remember the names of these small plants. These are Ashwagandha, Bhumi Amla, and Chiraita. Now, we have to collect saplings of big trees," said Debasish.

Debasish pointed out a big tree nearby and asked, "Bipasha, do you know the name of this tree?"

Bipasha nodded her head.

Debasish said, "That is Mahua tree. Let us go nearer to the tree."

They both went nearer to the tree and Debasish picked up a small white flower near the tree. He handed it to Bipasha and said, "Chew it and tell me the taste."

Bipasha chewed it and all of a sudden, the juice spread inside her mouth. She gulped the juice and with her big wandering eyes said, "Uncle, my god! it is so sweet just like honey."

"Bipasha, notice here on the ground under this tree. Due to the falling of seeds from the tree, large nos of small and tiny mahua plants have cropped up under it. So, let us collect one of the saplings for our project purpose," said Debasish.

"Thank God. we got our last collection also," said Debasish with a beaming face and went near to a tree that had small yellow fruits hanging on branches.

"Uncle, what's this tree?" asked Bipasha.

"This is Tendu tree. The fruits are fleshy and very sweet with a mild hardcover. The leaves are used for Biri. Take this fruit and taste it. Hand over me the digging bar, let us collect the sapling," said Debasish.

"Listen Bipasha, our primary job is over. But the next important task is to preserve these 5 nos of plants in the garden area of Bungalow. We have to plant these saplings with proper watering so that by the time we leave this jungle after two months all these plants should be in healthy conditions. You have to monitor and supervise the growth of all these plants. We have to come again to this site of the jungle for proper photographs of these big trees as well as other small plants as you have to study these for your project works. You have to study properly for the height, branches, flowers, fruits, roots, and barks of each plant with its special features and usages. Do you understand what I say?" asked Debasish.

"Yes, Uncle. I understand," replied Bipasha.

"Then, let us return. But, keep these 5 nos of saplings carefully, tomorrow we have to plant these," said Debasish and moved towards the path leading to Bungalow followed by Bipasha.

The evening was approaching. Now, it was time for dinner. The tribes would usually take dinner before sunset. Walking into the small hut where Pakul's family was living was unforgettable. The ceiling must be 30 feet high. The thatch room was held up by wooden poles. Debika was again surrounded by the curious, most of them were children from the neighborhood. She did her best to communicate greetings. Everyone here was extremely receptive. It was hard to tell who was more curious about whom.

Pakul's mother brought two earthen bowls, each with a mix of boiled vegetables and roasted fish, then in another big bowl containing rice. After that, she disappeared into the kitchen, which was a porch with a smoldering fire. Thank God, the food had salt. Will it make her sick? Debika had no idea. There was nothing she could do but eat, so she did as she would live with these people for her research work. The sun was setting, the light dying. Flies buzzed and landed on Debika's hands, arms, legs. The father and his two sons, Sasang, Pakul, and Jojam were taking the food with their fingers. Sasang said something to Debika.

Pakul interpreted, "Madam," my father says to you, "You are like my daughter."

Debika smiled and bowed before the old man with respect.

Later, they all smoked on the front porch. Men came by, sat, and smoked with them. Packs of dogs loped along the boardwalk, through the swampy ground beneath the huts, sometimes attacking each other in a wild scrum of barking and howling. Darkness fell, and bats poured out of the eaves. Heavy-footed lizards hammered across the roofs, sounding infinitely bigger than they were. Without a moon, the village was pitch black; Debika could see nothing but the glow of Sasang, Pakul, and Jojam's cheroots and heat lighting that flashed like an artillery barrage. It was all a mystery to her. Debika returned to her hut, it was not even 8.00 P.M. as she watched her wristwatch, and she tried to sleep.

It was evening, Deboshree was lying on her leafy bed inside the hut, it was darkness everywhere then she heard the footsteps outside. A flickering of light took away the darkness of the hut and she could see a long silhouette figure entered the hut with an earthen lamp which he placed in a corner of the hut.

She heard the voice of Gelango, "Madam, now it is dinner time."

Then Samango entered with some earthen bowls and put them on the floor. Deboshree glanced towards the dishes, those were rice, boiled vegetables, and some kind of roasted meat.

"Madam, that is wild boar's meat, I think you would like it," said Gelango.

Without any words, Deboshree started grabbing at the food as she was hungry.

"Tomorrow morning, we three, you, me, and my brother Samango would set out our journey towards the deep jungle as those herbs are very rare and could be found in the dense forest only. After finishing your dinner, you can take a rest. Don't worry, we two brothers are staying near you in another hut," said Gelango and left.

After returning from the jungle, both the friends Debasish and Dipankar were discussing the project works of their kids in the dining hall. Mihir placed two cups of coffee before them. It was dusk, evening was just approaching. While sipping their coffee, the two friends saw their fathers and wives entering the hall and the four came directly towards the two friends, pulled the chairs opposite them and everyone was sitting in a circle. The wives greeted their husbands with a smile and the faces of four (Fathers-in-law & Daughters-in-law) were brightened and beaming with joy.

Debasish said, "Good evening, my dear papa and Uncle."

"All of your faces say something. I think, all of you had a good day," said Dipankar.

In the meantime, Mihir placed another 4 nos of cups of coffee for them and left for the kitchen room.

"Well! my son and nephew. Both of your wives have achieved something after so many days with their endeavors and patience, "said Bhaskar.

Arnab said, "The day was good for both of our daughters-in-law. Both of them have found two gemstones from the bank of the river. Ashmita has found a piece of zircon and Madhu has found a piece of garnet."

"We two friends will celebrate for this in my room with whiskey," said Arnab.

"But we need a good starter with whiskey, "said Bhaskar.

"Papa, then I will prepare chili chicken myself which would be compliments from my side," said Ashmita with a smile.

Both the elders left them and went towards their rooms.

Dipankar was trying to make eye contact with Ashmita without knowledge of his wife Madhu, but she shifted her looks in another direction. Similarly, Debasish was trying to have a direct look towards Madhu, but she avoided his looks. Everything had changed since the night of the bone fire, on their arrival of the first night in the jungle when the two women were fucked by friends other than their husbands. An inner tension was running through the minds of all four friends conflicting with their out selves which neither they could share among themselves nor they could say to anybody. The fucking couples of the night were still not on talking terms with each other, even the male counterparts, Debasish and Dipankar tried to speak with the women during the festival of tribes but both the women avoided them.

Whenever they would see each other, it would be a stressful situation for the women as both the ladies were very much repentance. But both the friends, Debasish and Dipankar were wondering what had gone wrong with them. They had fucked them with their mutual consents and now they were avoiding them. Both the friends were unable to erase from their minds the memorable fucks they had with Ashmita and Madhu in that night which they had not even enjoyed in their long conjugal lives, which rejuvenated once again their sex lives and made them like young men of 20 years. Both of them were missing Ashmita and Madhu and their lust for the ladies was increasing every moment, it was such an emotional rollercoaster.

"OK, Madhu, I am going to the kitchen for preparing chicken chili as I have promised to our fathers-in-law," said Ashmita and moved towards the kitchen.

"I feel tired and going to my room," said Madhu and went upstairs.

"Would you like to stroll around the Bungalow for a sweet evening breeze?" asked Dipankar.

"Sorry, dear friend, I would like to take a bath now," said Debasish and went upper floor to his room.

After some time, through the back window, Debasish could see Dipankar was strolling around the Bungalow. He came outside of the room and found the adjunct room which was the bedroom of his friend Dipankar half-opened. Debasish knew he was the cause of discomfort for Madhu and felt ashamed that he wanted to fuck her again and he could not help it. He was unable to sleep for the days since that night. Always, his cock would be throbbing and there would be tightness in his chest making him uncomfortable. Whenever he would close his eyes, he would see Madhu naked... his mind filled with thoughts of sex with her only. Now, the attraction was so much that it overwhelmed his mind, and knowing she was alone in her room, he peeped inside the room and found her sitting on her bed reading a book. Without any hesitation, he entered the room. After seeing him, she didn't react anything except her raised eyebrows and shrugs. Madhu kept on reading. Debasish sat down beside her on her bed, she moved a little away from him, looking at him in an avoidable manner.

1...34567...14