The Long Ride Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What?!"

"Is you damn phone broken?" Callum growled.

"No... oh..."

"Yeah oh," Callum spat. "The next time you have someone else's daughter you better damn well pick up a damn phone and explain why you're fucking late. I'm sure Tobias' parents gave you that damn consideration. So what makes me less than you?" he asked, narrowing his eyes hatefully.

"I'm sorry Cal, we were just enjoying our time with Shari that neither of us were thinking," Constance stated knowing that his anger was warranted. She would be irate if someone had Vanessa and said they be back at a certain time and failed to call.

"Right," Callum drew out the word.

"Please Cal don't take this out on Shari," Constance called out to him as Callum walked to his home.

"You think I would do that. No, she's a child you two are the supposedly fucking adults with her. It's you I'm going to take it out on," Callum growled his venom lacing his words.

"Cal..."

"Get the fuck off my property," Callum spat as he turned to look at Vanessa. "If you can't pick up a damn phone, punch a few damn numbers. You think I'm going to trust you with my daughter?!" he said, darkly.

"Okay, I dropped the ball. I'm sorry, I swear I didn't mean to. But she's my daughter too Cal, I just couldn't let her..."

"You had no problem trying to k..." Callum's head rocked to the left as Vanessa slapped him hard.

"Don't you ever, ever say that to me ever fucking again. You hear me?!" Vanessa shouted poking Callum in the chest. "You fucking asshole!" she hissed shoving Callum backwards. "You think I don't hate myself for that?! You think I don't regret not being in her life!" Vanessa said, as tears reamed her eyes.

"Mommy, Daddy stop fighting!" Shari yelled stilling the two of them.

"Just leave, we've done fine without you so far," Callum said, as his fist curled in his rage.

"I'm not going anywhere Callum," Vanessa said, stepping up to him, her nose and inch away from his. The fire in her eyes matching his as they stared at one another. "The sooner you get that through your head, the better our relationship will be," she hissed low, all the while she smelt the faint hint of perfume on him.

"We don't have a relationship, nor will we ever. Do you fucking understand?"

"Fine Callum, if you don't want to be my friend that's your choice but I am going to be around. You better get used to that and keep whomever your seeing away from Shari. I don't want whatever woman your dating rubbing off on my daughter," Vanessa said, firmly. "I'll see you tomorrow Shari," smiling at her daughter as she looked back at Shari, "I'll be seeing you," Vanessa said, shoving pass Callum.

"Stop being mean to Mama!" Shari shouted at her father, going red in the face as she screamed.

Callum ran his hand down his face as Shari ran back into the house. How he wanted to scream in frustration.

"We are going to talk you and I. Oh yes, we are. You better believe that Cal," Vanessa said, from the open window as her mother backed out of his driveway. "I don't give up on my friends!"

"It didn't stop you from running away, now did it?!" Callum shouted as her mother drove off.

Chapter Five.

"Cal?!" Vanessa said, sitting in his living room four days after their blow up. "I want to put this behind us. This isn't good for Shari, us being at each other's throats." Smiling at Shari as she sat on the floor watching TV. Knowing Callum wouldn't raise his voice in front of their daughter.

"What do you want Vanessa?"

"I want us to go to couples counseling," Vanessa stated plainly. Hoping that he would go for it, if not then she would have to pull out the big guns.

"If I refuse?"

"Then I'll sue you for full custody of Shari. That's not something I want to do Cal, I don't want to take Shari away from you not after everything you've done," Vanessa said, squaring her shoulders.

"Go ahead, now get out."

"Daddy, be nice," Shari said, squinting at her father.

"Listen to her Cal, this could go badly for you. I don't want you to lose your rights to see our daughter. Henry is that good," Vanessa said, bluffing.

"Then explain to her why you and your parents put me through hell. Why you tried to do what you wanted to do. Why you so suddenly care about her. You do that then I'll think about it. Until then I'll see you in court," Callum said, crossing his arms.

"Cal it wasn't that bad, was it?"

"You didn't have your life put under a microscope. Every little thing nitpicked by people who don't know a damn thing about you. The character assassination your parents constantly levied upon me to make me appear incompetent in raising my own daughter. No, you don't know shit -- sorry Shari -- about what I went through to keep Shari. No, you only cared about whatever party you got invited to not the child we had together. So save your platitudes for someone that gives a damn about them." His eyes glanced down as his daughter stood defiantly before him. Seeing himself in her eyes as her face was set ready to fight.

"Stop. Being. Mean. To. Mama. And you stop threating my Daddy," Shari said, to both of her parents. "Don't make me choose Daddy," she said, with a trembling voice knowing her mother would lose.

"See, our daughter is wise..."

"You think you would have won?" Callum asked, with a knowing smirk that she would lose badly. "I really don't think you want to know that answer," he said, smiling wickedly as Vanessa started to speak. "You seem to forget I raised her; I've been the one constantly in her life. You are nothing but the newest... thing in her life. So think on that before you ever threaten to take my daughter from me again. Because if you try, you will see another side of me you will never forget that's a fact." Leaning forward as Shari beckoned him down to her level.

"Why do you hate Mama?"

"That's complicated Shari, I'm not sure you're ready for that answer honey," Callum said, softening his tone.

"Then why can't you be her friend or nice to her?"

"What do you want me to do Shari? Forgive her for everything she put us through?" Callum asked, after a few minutes of silence.

"No," Shari shook her head. "Mama hasn't learned her lesson yet. But I don't like seeing you like this Daddy. Maybe what Mama wants is what you need. Now do what you always tell me to do and shake hands," she said, with a stern tone. Placing her hands on her hips, Callum glanced up as Vanessa's hand covered her mouth knowing that's exactly how she looked like when she did the same pose. "You don't have to like her Daddy, but I need my Mama," Shari said, plumping out her lower lip.

Callum sighed heavily; he could never say no to her. "Fine Shari if that's what you want... I'll try."

"Good," Shari said, with a wide smile before returning to her TV show.

"Cal," Vanessa began to get up but sat back down when the look of his told her she was close enough as it was, "would Mondays and Wednesdays be good for you?" she asked, wondering if they would be friends ever again.

"You paying for this, because I'm sure as... not going to," Callum said, catching himself from cursing in front of his daughter.

"If that's what it takes for us to be civil with one another," Vanessa said, with a nod.

"Fine, what time?" Callum groaned staring up at the ceiling.

"Six o'clock," Vanessa said, without even thinking about it.

"You already set this up didn't you?" Callum asked, accusingly.

"Of course," Vanessa smirked with an amused light in her brown eyes. "I told you I've changed Cal, I'm not that immature girl that ran from her responsibilities. I'm here because I want to be here. I want to make up for every little slight that I've caused you, and hopefully Shari will come to love me like I see she loves you," she said, knowing she came close to losing the battle if it wasn't for Shari's intervention.

"Oh? You taking parenting classes too?! The same ones your parents and the damn State forced me to go to?" Arching an eyebrow as Vanessa nodded her head very vehemently.

"Told you Cal, the girl you once knew is gone. I'm here to stay, so the sooner you and I can come to terms with our past the better we will be for Shari's sake. Now I think I'll go and let the two of you enjoy your evening. Walk me to my car Cal," Vanessa said, as she rose to her feet as the strap of her purse settled onto her shoulder.

Callum quickly closed his mouth when Shari glanced at him as she hugged her mother. Blowing out a breath as he got to his feet. The sooner he got her off of his property the better he would feel. "Shari, don't move from that spot, hear me?" Callum said, from the doorway as his daughter was planted firmly in front of the TV once again.

"Yes Daddy," Shari said, without looking at him.

"Cal, I'm sorry what I said the other day," Vanessa said, as they stood on the walkway. "I had no right to tell you who can and who you can't bring around Shari. I wasn't thinking. It's just when you said that I wanted to... do that to her. Now that I've met Shari, I just can't believe how stupid I was back then. I know we may never be friends like we used to be. I get that, I kind of screwed that up for us. But can't we be civil towards one another for Shari's sake?" she asked, studying his face as she spoke those words. "This is why I want us to go to counseling together, so you can get this anger off your chest. I don't want it to harm your relationship with our daughter," Vanessa said, lightly patting his heart. "Plus that way you can yell, scream, call me all sorts of names without fear of Shari hearing them."

"Uh-huh," Callum muttered. He really didn't have anything to say to her, he just wanted her to get the hell off his property.

"I mean it Callum," Vanessa said, sternly. She only used his full name when she was making a point or to drive home the seriousness of her words. "Now, I hope whomever you're seeing now is good for you, and good for Shari. You're still my friend Callum even if you don't want to be mine. Maybe someday you'll introduce us, I would really like to meet her if you're okay with it," she said, stopping herself when Callum stepped back when she tried to kiss his cheek. "Okay, no contact," Vanessa sighed knowing it was going to be a battle up hill to get past his stubbornness. "Me and Henry would like to come over Sunday and spend the day with Shari if that's alright with you?"

"Fine," Callum said, in a monotone voice.

"We'll be here say eleven?" Vanessa inquired having to be content with a nod. Sighing as she closed her car door even on a warm day like today, the air around Callum was ice cold when it came towards her. She couldn't blame him he's had eight years to fester on what they put him through. Smiling at Shari as she waved to her from the living room window. Wondering how she was going to repair their fractured relationship. Waving goodbye and blowing a kiss to her daughter as she backed out of the driveway.

"What is it now?" Callum's voice came over the speakers of her car when she called when a very serious question popped into her mind.

"Cal, what would happen to Shari if something happened to you?" Vanessa asked, as she drove home.

"My parents would become her legal guardians," Callum said, matter-of-factly.

"Have you chosen her godparents..."

"Yes, and it isn't you, now is that all?"

"Yes Cal, sorry to have bothered you," Vanessa said, "ass," she muttered when Callum hung up. Knowing she was going to have to make a stop at Callum's parent's house to see if something did happen to him, god forbid, that she could still see Shari. While they might have some bad feelings due what she and her parents put their son through, they didn't have that smoldering anger she saw in his eyes.

******

Saturday, seven am.

"Hey, was just thinking about you," Callum smiled into the phone as Itzel's voice came over the line.

"Awe. That's so sweet," Itzel said, swaying back and forth in her room as she stood ready to leave.

"So to what do I owe the honor of this call?" Callum asked, laying on the charm.

"I'm sorry Cal, but Regina called in sick today and I have to cover her shift. I'm so, so sorry about ruining our plans for this afternoon," Itzel said, apologetically.

"I hope it's not something severe," Callum stated a little sad that he wouldn't be able to see that gorgeous smile of hers. Not that they hadn't spent an enormous amount of time with one another since they officially started dating. There were a few times Shari almost caught them making out. Yet he was able to play it off, although he was sure his daughter didn't believe it. "I understand Itzel, going to miss you though."

"Cal," Itzel cooed sweetly feeling her face heat. "I'll make it up to you I swear."

"Don't worry about it Itzel, somethings you just can't help. So... question?"

"Yes?" Itzel replied feeling the corners of her mouth lifting.

"What's a hot, sexy, attached librarian doing for lunch today?" Callum asked, as he leaned against the counter waiting on the waffle maker to go off so he could have breakfast ready for when Shari woke up.

"I was thinking of having a quick salad, why?" Itzel asked, her tone was light yet teasing.

"Oh, no reason, just curious is all," Callum said smirking, knowing what he and Shari would be doing for lunch.

"Why do I get the feeling you have some devious plan brewing?!" Itzel lightly giggled.

"You make me sound like some kind of fiend, planning on doing uncouth things to such a pretty lady," Callum said teasingly, as he lifted the freshly made waffle off the hot iron then adding another ladle full of batter to it. Callum always made extra when he made waffles and froze the rest that Shari didn't finish off.

"I don't know Mr. MacRoe, you do seem kind of shady to me," Itzel giggled like a school girl. She didn't understand why Callum made her feel so alive, none of the other men or boys she's dated ever made her feel like he did when they spoke to one another.

"You wound me good lady," Callum jested.

"Aww, here," blowing him a kiss into her phone, "better?" Itzel asked, her mirth carried over the line.

"Mmm nope, I need the real thing," Callum said, smiling into the phone as he flipped the sausage patties.

"Monday..."

"Umm... yeah about Monday, well, I'll tell you later don't want you upset while you're at work."

"O-okay," Itzel said, drawing out the word. "You better tell me tonight this sounds really big Callum."

"I will, I promise."

"Good. I've got to go. Tell Shari I said hello, and I miss you too Cal," Itzel said, before quickly hanging up. Burying her face in her hands as her cheeks burned against her palms.

******

"Daddy where are we going?" Shari asked, as she looked out the window of her father's truck.

"To the library," Callum stated, "after we pick up some food. Your books are about overdue, and we have read all of them. So I was thinking we pick out some new ones and maybe have lunch with a friend. Would you like that honey?"

"Do I know this friend?" Shari asked, innocently.

"You do," Callum nodded.

"Okay then," Shari said, smiling at her father. Humming excitedly in her seat as they drove through town.

The Hearst Library sat along west Main street in Lead, South Dakoda. The bustle of Main street echoed all around them as Callum helped his daughter onto the curb once she handed him his, hers, and Itzel's lunch. He hoped he wasn't being too forward in doing this. Callum just really enjoyed Itzel's company. She was smart, witty, charming, yet also soft, sensitive when she was alone with them. Recounting the times Itzel would snuggle up to him as they watched a movie with Shari. Shari didn't know they were dating yet, she simply thought Itzel was a nice friend that enjoyed spending time with them. Ever since the poker run the two of them have been like peas in a pod.

"You got your books?" Callum asked, as he gazed down at his daughter as he shut the passenger door.

"Mmmhmm," Shari nodded.

"Good, let's go surprise our friend, shall we?" Callum cooed matching his daughter's smile.

"Shari?!" Itzel's voice carried across the lobby as Shari rushed through the door. Her steel blue eyes full of shock, wondering how she got there.

"Itzel!" Shari squealed as she caught sight of her. Running up to the counter, laying her books on it, "Daddy said we were going to see a friend, I didn't know it was you!" she said, smiling up at Itzel.

"Did he now?!" Itzel cooed as her eyes glanced up as the inner door opened. Her heart raced, her skin heated, her eyes dilated as Callum walked through the door. "Cal, what are the two of you doing here?" she asked, keeping her voice steady.

"Well... I thought, since you couldn't make it today, that me and Shari here, would bring you lunch and bring back the books she checked out," Callum said, holding up the bag. "Unless... you don't want to have lunch with this adorable face," he said, with a teasing grin as he stoked the back of his daughter's head.

"I knew you had something planned, I just knew it!" Itzel said, wagging her finger at him causing Shari to giggle, yet she couldn't keep her smile from showing; nor could she stop the luster in her eyes as she gazed at Callum.

"So Shari, here to turn in books?" Itzel asked, spinning books around, opening the covers to ensure they weren't overdue. All the while her eyes were glancing up at him as Callum stood there with that grin on his face. She knew her face must be the color of a ripe cherry, yet she didn't care. "Allen?!" she called out to her coworker.

"Yeah?!" Allen's voice filtered from the open doorway that led to the private section of the library.

"Would you mind covering the desk while I have lunch with the most adorable girl in the world?" Itzel asked, smiling down at Shari whose cheeks were a rosy red.

"What?! Oh?" Allen muttered as he stepped out of the office. A smile formed on his face at the sight of Callum. He had wondered why a pretty woman like her was still single, now he knew why. "Sure Itzel, I'll cover for you."

"Thanks Allen," Itzel said, smiling at him from over her shoulder. Peering out of the corner of her left eye as she walked along the desk in step with Callum as he too peered at her. How it warmed her heart to know, just like her, he couldn't get enough. Holding out her hand to Shari once she passed through the swinging waist high door. "I know the perfect quite little place where we can enjoy our lunch," Itzel said, smiling down at Shari, all the while her gaze lingered on Callum as they walked through the library towards the break room. Biting her lip, her cheeks becoming flushed as Shari walked hand in hand with each one of them. To her it almost felt like they were a family. Shaking the thought from her mind it was still far too early to even think like that, yet she could hope, could she not?

"So what did you get us?" Itzel asked, as Shari slid into the seat which sat in the middle of the table in the break room.

"You said you wanted a salad so I got you a grilled chicken salad with currants and pine nuts," Callum said, placing it in front of her along with the dressing. He hoped it was what she would like. Maybe he should have called her first.

"And what did you get the pretty Miss Shari?" Itzel asked, flashing her a smile.

"Chicken fingers!" Shari exclaimed throwing her arms into the air. Smiling at her father as he placed the plastic container before her.

"Let me get us some drinks," Itzel said sweetly, placing a kiss on Callum's left cheek. Sticking her tongue out at Shari as she went 'Ew' before giggling.

"Daddy do you like Itzel?" Shari whispered to him as he arranged the table while Itzel fetched two sodas, and a water from the vending machine.