The Long Ride Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Callum... if I hadn't done any of that. Stayed by Shari's side, been a mother to her when the two of you needed me. Would we have gotten married?"

"Possibly, but what's the point of wishing for things that will never be?" Callum asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Oh Cal, I've fucked everything up haven't I?"

"Pretty much, glad you've finally taken responsibility for your shit," Callum said, aloofly as he crossed his arms.

"Can we ever be friends again?" Vanessa asked, with pleading eyes.

"With that I think we should stop there," Angie said, laying down her pad and pen on the small table next to her. "I know this might be hard for you to do Mr. MacRoe, but I want you to try to understand what Mrs. Blake was going through at that time. I know it mustn't have been a pleasant experience for you, yet you have to understand, Mrs. Blake's hormones at the time were going haywire and at that age and being pregnant couldn't have been easy on her," she said, seeing Vanessa nod along. "Mrs. Blake I want you to ponder on every slight you and your family caused Mr. MacRoe during the battle for Shari's life and how that's affected him. Being forced to raise a child alone when the other parent runs off to wherever you were at the time is no easy task," Angie said, noting how Vanessa bowed her head in shame.

"Like watching your daughter almost die," Callum muttered underneath his breath.

"What?!" Vanessa's head shot up quickly as she heard his words clearly. "Callum what do you mean Shari almost died?!" she asked, her hands gripping the armrest of the chair.

"Go ahead Mr. MacRoe," Angie nodded.

"Four years ago, I had just opened my shop. Shari came down with Scarlet Fever. For two damn days I had to sit there and watch as my Shari struggled for breath as she developed pneumonia due to complications with the Scarlet Fever. Do you have any idea what it's like not knowing if your child is going to live or die?" Callum asked, looking at Angie. "I was a fucking wreck; I couldn't do a damn thing for her as she cried out in pain. All I could do for her was hold her hand and pray that somehow she would pull through it. For two days I tried..." Callum's eyes watered knowing how close he was to losing his little girl. "She cried out for you?! Where were you?! Huh? If you say you gave a damn about her in all these eight years where were you when our daughter needed you the most?!" Callum asked, as his tears streaked down his face.

Vanessa's eyes quivered as she saw the pain in his eyes. The fear that laced his tears knowing he could do nothing to help their daughter. "Oh Cal... if I had known... if I hadn't been so selfish in trying to live my life as a college student and trying to forget about you (I was still in love with you then). I would have been there with you in a heartbeat. I would never have let you go through that alone," Vanessa said, as her lip trembled. Quickly rushing to her feet, her legs carrying her across the room. "I am so, so sorry you had to face that alone," she said, taking hold of his hands as she knelt before him. "I'm here on my knees begging you to forgive me for being so damn foolish. I know my actions have hurt you and Shari. I can't begin to make up for that. On my life I swear I won't be so damn foolish again and promise you Shari will want for nothing. You've sacrificed enough of your life because I failed to be the mother Shari needs. If you give me the chance I will show you I am not that immature girl anymore," Vanessa stated as she stared into those tear filled eyes of his.

"Mrs. Blake I want you to reflect on what Mr. MacRoe went through during that time. How it would make you feel if you were in his shoes and he was off... in college forgetting about you," Angie said, seeing Vanessa's cheeks heat as she bowed her head.

"You got around didn't you?" Callum asked, curiously. Watching Vanessa nodding her head.

"I told you Cal, I was trying to forget you... then I met Henry," Vanessa said, her thumbs brushed along the back of his hands.

"Mr. MacRoe I would like for you to bring your daughter with you on Wednesday."

"Why?" Callum asked, arching an eyebrow.

"This must be a very... strenuous time on your daughter with both of her parents at odds with one another. I'd like to make sure she's coping with all this so not to impair her schooling and private life. That is if you agree Mr. MacRoe," Angie said, in that warm therapeutic voice.

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

"I do," Angie nodded. If he was anything like he said he was then he would do anything to make sure his daughter was healthy.

"Okay, she'll be here," Callum said, with a stout nod.

"Very good, I think we've made some progress today. How does four o'clock sound to the two of you?" Angie asked, looking through her planner.

"Sounds perfect," Vanessa said, staring into Callum's eyes. Seeing the boy she was once in love with. Wondering how their life could have been if she didn't screw it all up. Then the Callum she's come to know returned as his hands slid out of hers and rose from his chair and left her kneeling there on the floor as he left Angie's office.

"Give him time Mrs. Blake this can't be easy for him with you showing up out of the blue," Angie said, from behind her.

"Will we ever be able to at least talk to one another without slinging insults back and forth?" Vanessa asked, looking back at Angie.

"I can't say, will it be like it was before you put him through all that? Doubtful. I think the best you can hope for in the short term is him being civil to you, and that's probably only for his daughter's benefit," Angie said, truthfully. "Mr. MacRoe has a lot of anger and resentment towards you and your parents and it's going to take time for him to get over it with your sudden appearance. Mr. MacRoe probably thought he would never see or hear from you again." Vanessa hung her head in shame knowing that was what would've happened because she was too much of a coward then to face the two people she had ran out on.

Chapter Seven.

"Shit!" Callum hissed as noon rolled around on the following Tuesday. "Fuck what am I going to do?!" he asked, his empty shop as he paced the floor. His father had to go out of town on a sudden business trip, and his mother had already planned to go out with her female friends and couldn't cancel at such a short time otherwise she would lose her deposit for what he couldn't say, nor did he ask. None of his friends from his motorcycle club were answering his calls. "Fuck!" Callum screamed out in frustration knowing he was going to have to trust Vanessa with his daughter. Something he wasn't looking forward to. He knew with the way Itzel was dropping hints last night when she stopped by that she so wanted to take this further, and he didn't want Shari around to hear something like that should that actually happen. Stroking his chin debating on calling Vanessa or not and just waiting until he could get a sitter for Shari so they could be alone. Looking down his body, already knew what a certain part of him would do, now if only he could get his brain onboard.

"Cal? This is a surprise; I didn't think I be hearing from you like ever unless... Oh my God! Is Shari alright?!" Vanessa's voice came over the speaker of his phone once Callum finally relented before it was too late to make the call.

"Shari's fine. No I'm calling..."

"Yes? What is it Cal?"

"I need you to do me a favor," Callum stated forcing the words out.

"Oh?! This is rather strange Cal, after yesterday, I didn't think we were at this stage yet," Vanessa said, smiling into the phone knowing how hard this was for him, and it didn't mean she had to make it easy on him either.

"You're enjoying this aren't you?"

"Of course," Vanessa giggled.

"God. Why did I bother to call?!"

"Why did you?"

"Because I need you to come pick Shari up at my house before five this afternoon... and maybe let her stay the night and you can take her to school in the morning if she stays the night," Callum sighed. "If you and Henry aren't busy."

"What?!" Callum held his phone away from his ear as Vanessa screamed. "Cal..." Vanessa was breathing heavily, Callum smirked when the shoe was on the other foot, "what's the exact reason you're asking me this and if you're fucking with me I swear to God! I will shove one of your wrenches so far up your ass you'll taste steel," she said, menacingly.

"Wow. Anger issues much?!" Callum chuckled into his phone.

"Vanessa, tone it down in the office." Callum heard Henry's voice in the back ground.

"Working for hubby huh?"

"With! -- My husband not for," Vanessa snapped. "Now," calming herself, "what is this about Callum?"

"I have a date tonight and Mom can't watch Shari due to prior engagements..." Stopping himself from insulting her, "and I thought maybe she could spend the night should the date... you know," Callum said, awkwardly.

"Oh, you sly devil," Vanessa giggled. Looking up at Henry as she had put Callum on speaker. Matching Henry's smile knowing how they been waiting for this chance. "One condition?"

"Which is?" Callum sighed knowing there was going to be a catch.

"That I can be the one that picks up Shari tomorrow and take her to our session, otherwise I guess you'll just have to reschedule your date," Vanessa said, holding up her finger when Henry started to speak.

"Yeah, alight."

"Wait! You answered that way too damn fast. What are you up to?" Vanessa asked, seeing the worried look in Henry's eyes thinking she was going to blow it.

"Well, if you did, maybe it would get those kids to stop picking on Shari," Callum said, rubbing the back of his head.

"Ah. I see, yes, I can see where you're going with this. Cal, do you realize what an awesome father you are?"

"Yeah, had lots of practice, so about my favor?" Callum asked, not ready to accept praise from the woman that ran off.

"What time does Shari's bus arrive?"

"Well, I leave here at 2:50 to walk to Shari's bus stop and get back around 3:05 somewhere around there unless Shari wants to take a detour," Callum said. Feeling a smile forming on his lips recounting the second week of last October when they took the long way around through the park so Shari could play in the leaves. His eyes running down his computer screen as he balanced his books.

"Cal, would you mind if we walked with you to pick up Shari?"

"Umm... I don't think that would be wise Vanessa. The local moms kind of hate you," Callum said, knowing he was going to Hell for taking enjoyment out of that.

"Did you...?"

"No, they filled in the blanks, I only told them you hadn't seen Shari since she was born. Never said a bad word no matter how much I so wanted to. I knew it would get back to Shari and that would hurt my baby girl."

"See?! That's what I'm talking about, they don't teach that in those classes," Vanessa said, hoping she could come to rely on his wisdom in guiding Shari into womanhood.

"Told you practice, after all I had to be Dad and Mom all-in-one for eight years," Callum said, plainly.

"I do hope you'll help me when I stumble Cal. I don't want to hurt her."

"We'll see."

"We'll be there at 2:50. I can't wait to see the face of my baby girl!" Vanessa said, excitedly.

"Later?!"

******

Callum turned his head as their dark blue BMW pulled into his driveway as he rolled down the bay door. His keys jiggling as he locked up.

"We aren't late are we?" Vanessa asked, her head peeked over the roof.

"No, odd you can be on time for this but not then?" Callum stated with a pointed look.

"Okay, I deserve that, I got greedy for a little extra time with her, sue me," Vanessa said, closing her car door.

"That an invitation?" Callum inquired with a wicked smirk.

"Hey," Henry said, as he slid out of his car.

"Yo," Callum greeted. "I hope you got a heater for the engine," Callum said, nodding back towards Henry's car as he led them to Shari's bus stop.

"Do what?"

"You did tell your husband it can and has gotten down to negative forty here right?" Callum asked, from over his right shoulder.

"Yeah, but he didn't believe me, thought that only happened in Canada and Alaska. See. Told you," Vanessa said, playfully slapping her husband's arm.

"Okay, so how much does one of those cost?" Henry asked, already freezing just thinking of those temps.

"Depends where you go in town and the make and model of your engine and if your wanting just the block heater or all of them," Callum said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Well, how much do and/or would you, specifically, charge for all of it?"

"How many cars do you two own?" Callum asked, looking over at Henry as they stood at the crosswalk.

"Just the two," Henry stated feeling Vanessa slipping her hand into his.

"Like I said, depending on the make and model, this is a rough estimate here, around seven hundred to a grand per car," Callum said, as he made sure the road was clear.

"Cal... who's this?" Shana asked, running her eyes hungrily down his body as he walked up with two people she's never seen in the neighborhood before.

"Shari's mother," Callum said, matter-of-factly.

"Oh, you're her huh?" Shana's voice took on an agitated tone. "And you are?" she asked, putting a little attitude into the way she pointed at Henry.

"Henry Blake, Vanessa's husband," Henry said, feeling their combined disdain for his wife crushing down upon the both of them.

"Did warn you," Callum said, as he peered back at Vanessa.

"Yeah, you did," Vanessa said, their dislike of her wasn't all that she saw. Her eyes glanced over at Callum wondering just how many of them he had slept with, and who he hasn't taken to his bed, or wished that he would. "Whatever you ladies think of me, trust me, it's nothing I don't call myself for what I did to my daughter and Cal here."

"So Cal, if you break up with that hot little thing I've seen hanging out at your house. I best get first bids when you're ready to get back out on the dating stage," Shana purred missing that cock of his since the day he told them he was dating someone.

"Sure thing Shana," Callum said, seeing the longing in her eyes as she went to rejoin the other mothers.

"Cal?!" Vanessa hissed low as he took hold of his left arm. "Just how many of those women want to fuck you and how many have you done that with?" she whispered low.

"Oh... I don't kiss and tell Vanessa," Callum said, with a devilish smirk.

"Yeah, there's that boy I once knew," Vanessa said to herself. The hiss of the air brakes was caught in her ears as her heart leaped to her throat as Shari's school bus approached. Her hand squeezed Henry's as the doors of the bus opened. Her eyes quivered as she heard Shari's voice calling out: Daddy, Mommy!

"Hey baby," Callum sighed warmly as Shari ran into his arms once she bounded from the bus.

"Hey Daddy," Shari whispered lovingly into his ear.

"Did you have a good day?" Callum asked, seeing her yearning to run to her mother as she nodded. "Go on honey," he said, winking at her.

"Oh Shari, I'm so happy to see you," Vanessa said, lightly rocking her daughter as she rubbed her back.

"Daddy?" Shari looked back at Callum as he rose.

"Yes Shari?"

"What's Mommy doing here?" Shari asked, looking up at him.

"She came to pick you up," Callum said, smirking as his daughter's jaw dropped. "Come here Shari," he spoke softly beckoning Shari to him. "Would you like to spend the night with your mother?" Callum whispered into her ear.

"I get to go to Mommy's?!" Shari squealed in excitement.

"Yes Shari, maybe stay the night and your Mom will take you to school and pick you up tomorrow... if my date with Itzel runs late."

"But... But I want to see Itzel too!"

"And you can see her when you get home Wednesday," Callum said, noting the look in Vanessa's eyes.

"So Cal... Shari already knows the name of the woman your dating?" Vanessa stated accusingly. She was not about to lose her daughter to some stranger!

"Yep, thick as thieves the two of them are, aren't ya honey," Callum said, looking down into Shari's dazing eyes.

"Yeah!" Shari shouted throwing up her arms.

Callum smirked noting Vanessa's annoyance yet she dared not to say anything against Itzel. Was it wrong of him to take pleasure out of Vanessa's discomfort -- possibly -- did Callum care? Not one damn bit! "Let's go get you packed okay?" Callum uttered as he held out his hand to her.

"I think I need to meet this... Itzel if she's having this kind of influence on Shari," Vanessa said, crossing her arms as she and Callum stood on his driveway as Henry and Shari waited in the car.

"Oh? Is that so," Callum said plainly, sliding his hands into his front pockets.

"Mmmhmm," Vanessa nodded sternly. "You're still my friend Cal, and I want to make sure this woman is good for Shari."

"Doubt my judgement?"

"Never Cal, yet you're a guy, you don't think like a woman. We can be sneaky you know," Vanessa said, with a bit of sadness in her voice.

"Yeah... I know all about that, don't I?" Callum asked, with a pointed look.

Vanessa felt her face heat at his words. Given the events of yesterday, what she had so stupidly destroyed was fresh in her mind. "I don't mean to overstep Cal, I just..."

"God... alright I hear ya," Callum sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"What time should I expect a call should your date be fruitful?" Vanessa asked, not hiding the smirk on her lips. While they may never recoup the feelings they once shared with one another. That didn't mean she was going to give up on their friendship regardless if Callum wanted a more limited form of one.

"Umm..." Stretching his cheek as he looked away, "if it goes how I think it will, you'll hear from me sometime before nine so I can tell Shari goodnight."

"Okay, I'll make sure my phone is on me all night. I don't want Shari to be scared of sleeping in a new place, and I'm sure your voice will give her that strength," Vanessa said, warmly.

"Right," Callum muttered drawing out the word. Wondering where she pulled that out from.

"You be good for your mother and Henry, okay Shari," Callum spoke through the open window once Henry rolled it down.

"Yes Daddy," Shari said, the excitement was clear as day in her voice.

"You taking Wilber?" Callum asked, noting the golden ear peeking out of her bag.

"How did...?"

"We Dads' know and see all Shari," Callum said, with a coy smirk. "Be safe baby," he said lovingly, the back of his fingers brushed against Shari's cheek. "You drive safe now," Callum stated as he backed away.

"Don't worry Cal, me and Henry will keep a close eye on her," Vanessa uttered as Henry backed out.

Callum was already hating it as he stood there waving to Shari as Henry slowly pulled away. He knew this day would come yet knowing did not prepare you for the whirlwind of emotions that bombarded your mind as you watch as your daughter disappears in the distance. His hands lightly smacked his cheeks knowing he had to get moving and straighten up the house before Itzel arrived. Callum wanted this night to be perfect if it went the way he hoped it would.

******

"Hey Mom, guess who we got with us?!" Vanessa said, watching the awe in her daughter's eyes as she called her mother on the Bluetooth connection of the radio.

"Shari?!"

"Yeah! That's me!" Shari giggled.

"Oh my, hello Shari, how have you been sweetheart?" Constance asked, in that grandmotherly voice.

A feeling of warmth spread throughout her body as Shari went into everything that's happened since the last time they spoke to one another. So very pleased that Shari wasn't affected by what happened at the cookout. Looking at Henry when he lightly squeezed her hand.