The Next Game Master Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Trisa smiled, "I think this will be entertaining."

Marshal laughed, "His ground slingshot. With a painted-on hand giving the enemy blockade the finger."

He looked at Marshal, "What did you find out about our 3 jailbirds?"

He looked at Raven, "Nothing to do until they go before the Duke. I even told them who you were. It did not matter."

He sighed, "You forgot two things which are one thing really. Gold talks, bullshit walks. We have all the Duke's furniture and A gaudy carriage to offload. I know it is still your task and I want you to try and handle it."

He nodded. Raven asked him, "Who is in charge until we get back because we are likely to get an escort as soon as we step out the door."

He looked over, "Trisa."

He looked at Trisa, "Shia needs to work out the personnel and gear issues. Find everyone with rogue skills and go over that carriage again in case anything was missed. We want to do that before offloading it. Lirana, find out who rides and get them hooked up because we have our own fucking stable from our run here.

Flar, go and find a couple of the new guys. Secure our jailbirds and dead idiots' rooms and belongings. Shea and Ersa. I am leaving my son and his ladies with you to get geared up. Brenda, you are with me. A cleric might come in handy if I do something crazy."

The ladies giggled.

She smiled at him as they filed out with all of the gear. He stepped out and there were in fact 12 men waiting on horses. They walked past them and a guard looked over, "You the one they call Raven."

He shouted out, "Yes."

They came riding over trying unsuccessfully to block his path as he tumbled under his horse.

He got to the stable and got his tack onto his horse. They had the doors blocked with bodies. He looked at them, "Your job is to trap me in the stable? The Duke must not have very much work for you to do."

He looked at us, "You keep trying to evade us."

Raven cut him off and laughed, "If my goal had been to evade you, I would have succeeded. You came to let me know that my presence has been requested or some bullshit to that effect. You are all on horseback, please move out of the doorway so my leader and my lover can get through and get their horses. Then we will be ready to leave."

They begrudgingly got out of the way while he saddled up Brenda's horse. They were all ready and Raven looked at them, "Who is leading this parade. Hopefully, someone who knows where we are going?"

They opened ranks and had the 3 of them move between the gaggle of guards. They rode through the smelly city and garbage-filled streets. To the nicer side of the city and up to a large keep. He smiled, "At least it is not a palace."

Marshal chuckled at Raven as they took the horses. Some guard at the door who apparently did not know any better stepped in front and pushed Raven in the chest, "Servants go through the back. Besides, you are not allowed to carry weapons inside the city let alone the keep. Turn them over."

He dropped to a knee to act like he was getting a boot dagger and place the dagger in his hand and held his hand.

He spun around and had him pinned against a wall with his arm over his shoulder. "Move and I break it!"

He grabbed his dagger from his hand. "You are an ass. The first question should have been, 'Do you have business here?' I would have said yes, my grandfather the Duke wanted to see me. Do you think I could get away with snapping your arm like a dead branch?"

He did not answer as the guy who headed up the detail saw Raven with one of his men pinned to the wall. He looked at Raven, "Let him go."

Raven looked at him "Just as soon as I receive an apology or something snaps!"

The escort stood fast. He shrugged and broke the man's arm. Then let him fall to the ground. The head of the detail looked at Raven, "You cannot do that!"

Raven looked at him, "They did not tell you who I am?"

He shook his head. Raven looked at him, "The Dukes youngest daughter was my mother. My Father is from the Royal house, Rising Moon. Take your pick I will not be manhandled or insulted. He tried both."

He talked to one of his men who went around as none of them wanted to get near Raven. His Uncle from the other day showed up and saw his guard and looked at Raven, "Starting off on the right foot I see."

He nodded, "Apparently whoever sent these fools did not bother to tell them who I am. This one pushed me in the chest and tried to disarm me. Sound familiar?"

Lars nodded, "Like the road."

Raven looked at him, "I do not surrender my arms to strangers. Never will."

He showed him his hand, "I could have just jammed this into his leg and twisted. I get the apology asked for earlier and I will let my companion who is a cleric set it and heal it."

He put the dagger away. Not hearing anything from the man He looked at his uncle, "Did he still wish to see me or should I just head out now?"

He laughed, "Follow me."

They walked past the guard leaving him there moaning and Marshal looked at Raven and whispered, "Really?!"

Raven nodded. He sighed. Raven walked down to a private room with a big desk. Raven walked forward and he rose and looked at him as he came to a stop. He was old. The better word was venerable. He pointed to Raven's hands. He took his gloves off and he saw the ring. He looked up at Raven. "Died less than a month ago?"

He nodded, "For teaching literacy and magic. Then he torched the village. Those that did not flee right away were cut down or used for target practice. They took her ring and threw her body in the home and burned it to the ground. That was when I retrieved my father's sword and armor from his grave.

It was buried below him in an unmarked grave. I recovered her ring from some of the same men who killed her while traveling. We had four or five run-ins with his men. Including the blockade. He put that up not 2 days ride by horse from here. He wanted the sword and my head. Instead, we brought you his head."

He chuckled, "You have your mother's fire."

Raven nodded, "One of your guards found that out the hard way. I am sure he will find a cleric somewhere to set and heal his broken arm."

He chuckled and looked at his son who merely nodded. He looked at Raven, "What did he do?"

Raven looked at the Duke, "It was partly what he did, shoving his hand into the center of my chest. He called me a servant and told me I was not allowed to be armed in the city let alone the Keep. He wanted my weapons. I never surrender my weapons. Not on the road and certainly not to a man who didn't even ask If I had business here, who I was, nothing.

When I asked for an apology he refused. I broke his arm. I offered him the services of my companion who is cleric if he would apologies. Even after he learned who I was, he refused. He is away from his post for failure to swallow his over indulged pride."

The Duke looked at his son, "I see his father in him he always had a way with words, love, life, learn."

He looked at him, "This is an obvious test to me. It was Learn, live, and love."

He nodded, "Would you draw your blade for me." He drew it and activate the blade. Raven waited a few seconds and put it out.

The Duke looked it over, "I believe you."

Raven put his sword away. He looked over, "You have been busy."

Raven nodded, "I have been, the war has cut-off trade. The road being watched by the Baron's men they were easy enough to spot. They had two scouts looking for them. He recalled his bird and he stared at it. "Raven is what you like to be called."

Raven nodded, "Only if you are looking for a friendly answer."

He chuckled, "That chip on your shoulder will cause you problems."

Raven looked at him, "I tend to stay away from cities, especially ones that would have me walk its streets without a weapon. That was what your guard said. You should not be armed in the city let alone the Keep. I demonstrated I needed no weapon or magic to cause him harm."

He nodded, "The city was an oversimplification. The district with the keep where guards are everywhere no need to be armed. The lower section and market districts are not as well guarded. We just lock up trouble makers."

Raven nodded, "I noticed I was the only one quested about my arms. Not the paladin or the cleric, let alone your own guards. I don't buy that line for a minute. Your city and you hate half-elves and maybe elves except your son said my father and you were good friends so my treatment does not mesh with his statement.

Regardless, I am here. There were 3 groups who met up last night and we discovered what we believe was an overlap in the agenda of our assignments. One group fractured 4 joined us 3 did not. There was a fight in the inn.

I do not know the details that is something Marshal was looking into, he leads the group. We would like to find out about how to get at least 2 of them. Two of the ones who joined us. I am not as concerned with the third at this moment."

He went to his desk and pulled out his spectacles and sat down and looks at some papers He was obviously annoyed with Raven, "Says one of them threw a fireball in the bar."

Marshal cleared his throat, "The one who threw that is among the dead. She was taken down by the two men you have imprisoned at the moment. The girl was hiding under the table after the fight started. The ones who started the altercation are dead."

The door opened behind them and an elven figure walks into the room. Raven stared straight at her and she stopped. She was armed. Raven asked out loud, "Were you expecting company? An armed elf even in your keep even. Thus proving my point."

Uncle Lars walked over and talked with the woman. Raven left Marshal to deal with the Grandfather. Raven stepped a few feet away and she was eyeing his sword. He asked her, "Is there something you want from me?"

She looked shocked at his blunt and direct question but did not talk with him. Raven wanted another minute and still nothing. "Tell House Rising Moon when they want to send someone who will talk with me then we will discuss the issue. I will not deal with you."

Raven turned to head back and she yelled out, "Wait!"

That got the attention of the Duke.

Raven turned and looked at her, "Why? You have already kept me waiting. If I am the person you have business with it would be prudent to talk with me? Obviously, we have no business to discuss and you did not even acknowledge me."

She looked at Raven, "Please, forgive my rudeness. I was trying to ascertain who I was dealing with before speaking with you."

Raven looked at her, "What have you learned from the man who spent a few hours riding with me yesterday and less than 30 minutes this morning?"

She looked at Raven, "I learned you are a lot like your father. You do not suffer fools. You refuse to be disarmed and you are not afraid of making an example out of someone who will not be big enough to apologize."

Raven looked at her, "Which part helps you in talking with me that you could not have ascertained by talking with me?"

She looked at him, "Just how much like your father you are. To what extent you will go to make a point with someone."

Raven shook his head, "Are you not finding that out right now? If you have something to say, say it. Because you got off on the wrong foot with me bitch."

She looked at Raven, "We would like you to return the family blade."

Raven looked at her, "In exchange for what exactly?"

She looked at Raven, "You want us to buy it back?"

Raven looked at her, "You want me to go around unarmed? Give you a weapon left to me by my father? Where were your people when he died? Why were they not all over the Baron's stronghold cutting his balls off for killing my father and searching for the sword?

I am heading to a location with abominations, undead, and creatures from other planes being brought into this world. I am good with my cock. I think trying to fuck a succubus to death would be a futile task as a weapon. You come in here and act like you know my father. What would my father tell you to do with your request? Just who in the fuck are you?"

She looked shocked by his bluntness. She started with the last question first. "Esiran'dira Rising Moon, Princess" He looked at her, "What relation are you to me?"

She looked at Raven, "I am your father's sister."

He turned from her, "You cannot answer simple questions."

She shouted over, "I just did!"

He walked back across the room and got into her face. "I asked who are you to me! I asked what would my father tell you to do with your request? Not how you were related to my father, but to me! Not your fucking title either, which means shit to me!"

She looked at a loss for words and hesitated and he turned from her, "I will be getting a room outside the city for the next 2 days. When you gain a tongue, can answer all of the questions I gave you not just a half-assed attempt at the last one, you come to talk to me. You send someone to try and steal the sword I will throw it in a bag of holding and rip it. Sending it into the astral plane. You would at least put as much effort searching for it there as you did at the location where my father died!"

Brenda walked up to him and rubbed his arm, "I will try and talk with her."

Raven looked at her, "You might get more answers from the plaster in the ceiling. If her nose where any higher she would drown when it fucking rained!" He was not being quiet or subtle with these royal pricks.

She chuckled and went over and Raven got back to Marshal, "What is the status of the men?"

He looked at Raven, "He said it could take weeks to finish the investigation."

He looked at the Duke, "That has to be bad for commerce. Keeping all the potential witnesses tied up for weeks while this gets investigated."

The Duke looked at Raven, "We do not stop commerce."

Raven looked at him, "Then you do not seek justice as all viable witnesses to the events will be gone. By viable, I mean those who are not related to the dead. As to not stopping commerce your troops are definitely not helping it any, given the baron's men we kept encountering."

He looked at Raven annoyed by his observations no matter how true they were, "What would you have me do?"

Raven looked at him, "Have your son, who is going to follow us out of here anyway, meet the people who Marshal met with to get this information. Expedite the investigation hours instead of days. Think of the amount of time cleared from your calendar next week for not having to deal with this issue."

He shook his head. "No."

Raven nodded, "I suppose that ends our discussion unless you wish to talk about the Duke's carriage, the furniture your son said was taken from some lake house and oh yes, the bounty for the Baron."

He looked at Raven, "You would have done well in court if you were human."

Raven smiled, "I am sure I might get the same response from House Rising Moon. No, they would never say it, just think it."

He laughed so hard he about wet himself. He nodded, "The baron's bounty was a 100,000 while I could give you 8,000 for the carriage. The furniture is mine already."

Raven looked at him, "Your furniture could have been left on the side of the road. We considered it. I thought it would have value. We did recover it from the Baron's men."

He looked at Raven, "3,000 for the recovery."

He looked at him, "Concerning the carriage, I would have so much more fun throwing oil on it and burning it down to the frame, then selling off the gold from what is left."

He looked at Raven, "You care for gold that much?"

Raven looked at him, "I did not ask for gold, if all it is worth is 8,000 then I would much rather watch it burn like I was forced to watch the home contain my mother's body burn. Your fucking daughter that died because you failed to deal with the baron before now, you had to wait for me to take care of him. The Baron should not have even been alive to threaten her.

Once you heard she died at his hands you should have killed him. You being a Duke and him a Baron. But seeing how you think all I care about is money I would like to know what assets did she have back here?"

He looked at Raven, "A month ago her assets were gone."

Raven looked at him, "Ten years ago when you thought she was dead. What were her assets? I would be her heir. Speaking of heir don't I get some documents or something reflecting my name and place within your court as my mother's heir? If I cared about money like you think I would have started with those questions first?

Those are things that matter in your world. Things that matter in mine is a strong bow, good but silent armor, and stout sword. I have all three of those and the lady in the back of the room cannot even say the word Aunt in relation to me.

The words are poison to her. Let us wrap this up if we can. We have 103,000 gold pieces coming to us. If you want the coach get my uncle to investigate and clear those 3 and release them to Marshal. Including their gear. Also, the gear of their comrades as they killed the perpetrators of this crime for you. Like I did with the fucking Baron your military was inept to locate and handle.

That 2 new members of Marshal's group put an end to that threat at the inn. Before more lives were lost in that tragedy. Then you can have the fucking gaudy carriage. I do not give a shit about her holdings or a place on your court. I would like one thing that I know I will not get.

That would be a sincere apology from the guard who tried to fuck with me. When your men were the ones who brought me here. They had no clue as to who in the hell I was. Other than the Duke wanted to see me.

Accusing me of trying to evade them as I made my way to the stable to get my damned horse. I knew they were coming today they were all on horseback. No carriage was sent. I was not going to spend hours walking through the filth covered streets of this cesspool you call a city.

You might think my mixed blood is an affront to your senses but remember I am the only thing you have left of your daughter. As she has no assets. I will send your son back over and the 3 of you can talk about how we will receive these funds."

Raven grabbed Marshal's arm and walk away and whisper to him, "Coins only. No store credits no gems that fluctuate in value. He will piss himself when you say that. Tell him to get you the 3,000 so we can give him his fucking furniture back, it is worth 10x that easy.

He is right once province is established and he is the law here he can just seize it. That would be bad because anything found that might belong to the Duke would never find its way back here. That is why he agreed to a recovery reward.

Tell him you can come back tomorrow to discuss the remaining 100,000. You go to the church on your way back with my uncle. Take Brenda with you and my horse. I have more talking to do with the elven side of things."

He looked at Raven, "How are you getting back?"

Raven looked at him, "Fly."

Marshal smiled. Raven headed over to Brenda, "You about ready to go? Uncle, grandfather will want to speak with you."

Brenda looked at Raven, "She would like to try and start over with you."

Raven nodded, "For you, I will try but not in here. Stay with Marshal."

He walked out of the room and she followed, "Where are you going?"

He looked at her, "Away from where I am not wanted, appreciated, or respected. Do not even try and tell it would be different in the Elven court. If that were the case you would be happy to know the blade still existed and was in the hands of an heir.

Instead, you are here. Acting like the human guard who tried and blocked my entrance into this very keep. He wanted to take my weapons as well. Tell me how you are being different?"