All Comments on 'The Promise'

by DreamCloud

Sort by:
  • 641 Comments (Page 2)
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
We'll Done

Great plot, extremely we'll written, good pacing and overall an amazing story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Wow

No offense but this shouldn't be here. It's simply amazing. It is thousand times better than many books I've read and deserves to be shared.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

This is such a great story. should be film it.

SoMikeSoMikealmost 9 years ago
"It was her face that was fading".

Brilliantly sums up one of the most difficult stages of grief: the guilt and the shame felt when we realize that our mind's eye is failing us, and the physical remnants of those we love begin to disappear from our memories.

In spite of the painful memories which were re-awakened by this story, I ended it with a smile on my face, and a full heart.

Thank you.

sledgesledgealmost 9 years ago
Could be a movie script!!!

I didn't think you could do any better!

You have proven me wrong. Every story you write is better than the last. I'm starting to think you can't write a bad story. I gave you a perfect score! (5 Stars)

You've earned it! You pull the reader into the story.

Keep up the great work!!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Well Done!

Such a very sweet story - thoroughly enjoyed it. Well written and developed. Not too short (which would make it hard to get involved) and not too long (which would draw it out unnecessarily and detract from its goal). Keep up the great work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

I stumbled on Literotica searching for erotica but I found true literature in this story

. Good work and more power to the author.

smc331smc331almost 9 years ago
OutFreakingStanding!

That is all.

LoveMenLoveSexLoveMenLoveSexalmost 9 years ago
A lovely tale very well told

For most writers, finding the structure of the tale is the most difficult part. There are too many to choose from. This was structured extremely well, pace and tension were maintained throughout and the gentle building of relationships and the development of the characters was handled with a real grace. An absolute pleasure to read, along with many of your other stories and one I'll read again and again with the same enjoyment. Great writing!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

If the movie business people aren`t banging at your door, they`re missing out on one hell of a good thing. But however things go, don`t stop writing. You`ve got it. Don`t let it go. That was an absolute, tear jerking pleasure to read. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
You go guy.

This story was as good as any I have read. This is the second one but I am a reader not a writer. I was 2 chapters into this story when I realized I had not voted. Don't worry I will go back and finish the job. Please keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
AWESOME STORY!

This was the second time I have read this story. The first time it brought tears to my eyes, this last time it brought even more; I recently lost someone. Life sucks.

brujaybrujayover 8 years ago
Beautiful Tale

You have an amazing gift for storytelling. This was wonderful. Thank you so very much for sharing your stories with us. Please keep writing and sharing.

Brujay

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Amazing

This is the sort of story I love. Poignant and well written. Even though it left me with a few questions, with things not quite wrapped up, it was a wonderful story.

Hubbys_PrincessHubbys_Princessover 8 years ago
More should read this tale...

Beautifully written heart warming tale of humanity at its best. This is the kind of story that helps you believe in fairytales and happily ever afters and that there just might still be some good in the human race.

Thank you for sharing your talent as a writer and helping to make the world feel a warmer more welcoming place.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Far too long

The sheer ridiculous length of this story makes it boring and not worth reading.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wonderful story - it is not too long! 5*

Well written as always.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

A story is just as long as it needs to be. This one is a jem.

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
PERSONS WHO MAKE PROMISES AND MEAN THEM

dont get in their way ever. TK U MLJ LV NV

JohnSpiritWolfJohnSpiritWolfover 8 years ago
ANOTHER AMAZING STORY!!!!!

You have an amazing talent for writing these stories, I simply am in awe..... I am slowly working my way through all of them, I have yet to find one that I did not give 5 stars to, and wished that I could give more to...

Thank You Dream Cloud

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Bravo!!

Outstanding!

There ought to be a place in a print publication for this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
A person I know asked me why I

was reading literotica (with a smirk) so I offered a couple of your stories as a reason. She says you're like Nora Roberts (?) anyway I got no more criticism about my reading matter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Beautiful Story

I logged on looking for a good story to read to my wife. I am blown away by this story. You are a really talented storyteller, your characters evolve naturally throughout the narrative. So many other adult oriented stories rattle off a woman's physical stats like a player at the start of a sports match. Sadie's beauty is slowly revealed to the reader through her actions, and only one David is truly intimately connected to her do we begin to learn of her physical appearance. This story is full of so many good hearted people, from Houser to the Detective. David's devotion to his deceased wife and his commitment to honoring her memory is better than the sex (this is coming from a guy).

I teared up. Several times. Thank you sir.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wonderful.

Thanks so much for writing and sharing this wonderful story. You have a real talent!

photolvrphotolvrover 8 years ago
Thank you!

This story is one of the best you will ever read! A masterpiece! Thank you!

countrygirlflacountrygirlflaover 8 years ago
FANTASTIC!!

I read it all,in one sitting,till 4 in the morning,,once you started,,,you cant stop,,

twinkitwinkiover 8 years ago
Captivating Story

I read this at work in between clients. Even made a couple of them wait a bit at certain interesting parts of the story. Authors like you make this site worth every visit. (BTW this site is banned in my country even though a six year old kid can easily bypass DNS blocks)

roveroneroveroneover 8 years ago
WOW! Blew me away!

Read The Network first, loved it, spotted the score on this, thought 'what the heck'...wound up also devouring it in one read-blew off 1/2 my afternoon-definitely one of the best I've ever read on this site.

Loved the characters, plot, the way you weaved 'promise' lightly through it.

HAVE to go do some work before I move on to Rehab

Do wish there was a way to give more than 5-favving both story + author.

Need to check Lit's list of highest rated, most liked, commented.

PS Really curious what country previous commenter lives in, that they block the site-certainly some gonzo here,stuff that doesn't float my boat, but also some great authors, and there are stories like this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
That was great.

Thank you for sharing your talent, this story made my day.

J_RebusJ_Rebusover 8 years ago
Great story - I couldn't stop reading

This is really a great story and I couldn't stop reading before I went to bed, but I guess I am not the only one with that "problem".

This is the stuff, big Hollywood movies are made of, so why don't you try your luck and sell this story to them. The best male actor for this would have been Robin Wiliams.

As this was the first story I read from you, I am quite curious now for the others!

celticfire729celticfire729over 8 years ago
Masterpiece

Thank you and please keep writing. Great writing, like great music, is so because it touched a part of us that we have in common. The emotional connection, maybe even bond, is forged because we recognize the same feelings in ourselves we see in the music, writing, or art. This story, quite simply, IS great art. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
found two beautiful stories in one night!

was looking for stimulation and found more than I expected with such well written work - far away from home and missing my wife a lot! thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Saturday Evening Post story

This story reminds me of the happy ending stories that were published by the Saturday Evening Post. It is also similar to the story lines used in the Hallmark series, a real chick flick story.

Well written, well composed, maybe a little unbelievable how fast he rebounded from his wife's death. Much enjoyed.

Frederic755Frederic755over 8 years ago
Loved it!

I had tears by the end. Thank you for a great story!

guitarlover88guitarlover88over 8 years ago
A great finish

You know, DreamCloud, it's the epilogue that has the most punch. Usually, the last line.

Thank you for such wonderful stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

fantastic writing, it ends wonderfully

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Almost makes me wanna go to the local soup kitchen!!!

Your writing is so real, so genuine. I know there have been other stories much like yours, that I've watched on channels the likes of LifeTime, etc. Your writing puts those to shame. You think "okay here we go again" . But, boy, was i wrong!!

i found this site last night, and The Beach House kept me engulfed til the sun came up! Here it is 3pm on a Sat and I'm still in bed, having only stopped reading to grab a quick bowl of cereal, and where the empty bowl still sits next to me, in bed!!

I know if I start another story I wont get a damn thing done today.

Thank you, DreamCloud, for sharing your talent with the rest of us. You have been blessed with an ability to bring the reader into your written world. And your readers are blessed for the opportunity to be there.

Talent beyond talent!!! Cant wait to google you to learn more about you and your work, I hope. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Y u do dis

Maek mi cri everytiem

Y, drimclud, y ;-;

LostPilgrim1964LostPilgrim1964over 8 years ago
Wonderful

It was amazing... Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Outstanding

Could actually be a movie!!

SouthernSamanthaSouthernSamanthaover 8 years ago

Wonderful. Just wonderful.

RioRedKingRioRedKingover 8 years ago
Great read!

Wonderful story of the resilience of the human heart.

xtchrxtchrover 8 years ago
What A Story!

Wow! What a story I just read. All I can say is thank you for writing such a beautiful story. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
WOW

bill...

thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
to the heart

I honestly imagined the scenes unfolding before my eyes and believe me some of them brought tears to my eyes. Fabulous story and as I said before this story pulls at my heart strings. God bless the author's imaginations.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wow

I started coming to the site for quick stroke stories. I would vote but never comment but I sit here truly moved by a beautiful story....Bravo.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Tears in my eyes!

Great story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Just WOW!

Yeah, this author is GOOD!

Hope you're writing for a living. One of the best short stories I've ever read!

SeaChangerSeaChangerover 8 years ago
Thanks

Imaginative, thoughful, and caring.

calgarycamperscalgarycampersover 8 years ago
One of the all time BEST stories on LIT

Great job DC! I have read most of your stories. This one, Rehab and Cotillian are my favorites. Don't get me wrong, the rest are great, too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Thank you

Your story made me sweat and cry and laugh and cheer. It made me feel it in my heart. Thank you for writing it.

Ralphie

Bradp1974Bradp1974over 8 years ago
Romance with an added extra

This story, to me, is one of, if not the, best stories on this site. My favorite part is the lesson that can be learned here. There was a time, not to long ago, where a man's word was his bond. Contracts weren't necessary, deals were made using a handshake. This is the kind of man David is. He gave his word to his wife. He fulfilled his promise. He gave his word again, and good things happened. Gentlemen of the world, pay attention. There might be a moral there...

I wish I had the words to adequately describe my thoughts on the story itself. In my opinion, DreamCloud has written a very good romance. I have seen others here that were doomed by being to short or to long. Not the case here. Long enough to provide the drama necessary, but short enough to not cause the reader to wander off.

All in all, a well written work. My thanks to the author!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
As good as they come

I would be moved by this story no matter where I found it. In the midst of the brutal lusts and crudities of a porn site it stands out all the better.

Hiding_in_PortlandHiding_in_Portlandover 8 years ago
Want to see this on the silver screen.

I really think that your story would make an amazing movie. I think that you should redo this story as a screen play. When it makes it big all I ask for is tickets for the premier, lol.

JAKhanJAKhanover 8 years ago
One of the best stories I have ever read

It is among the best stories I have ever read.

I felt my self together with the characters of this story and several times I had tears in my eyes. You must be a magician to write such wonderful stories. I don't know why Hollywood is not making movies on your stories. It must be box office hit if they do so. I salute your powerful witting skill and hope the same to be continued in future.

Thanks again for writing such a beautiful story.

Warm regards,

JAKhan

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
ONE OF THE BEST/WORST STORIES HERE!!!

Many of the comments here address the worth, the value, the art, the skill of the author and that is as it should be, However, overlooked in the well-deserved admiration and praise of the author is the vital role an editor plays in the creation process. This story is a good example of potential not realized. While the author charitably states, " Tim413413 spent a lot of time cleaning this story up. He is the reason it is getting posted," what he/she fails to acknowledge is that the spent was insufficient to truly refine this work to the standards of the quality of the author's talent. Tim413413 missed a number of obvious/not-so-obvious errors:

1. was one (of) them

2. long shot

3. bad luck going (-in my favor) (against me)

4. wild frock of black (shock)

5. silently-lowing river (flowing)

6. deadhead (Deadhead)

7. metal tubed (metal-tubed)

8. any more (anymore)

9. clean up (cleanup) (3x)

10. record keeping (recordkeeping) (2x)

11. through me off (threw)

12. time keeping (timekeeping)

13. sky high (sky-high)

14. fold out (foldout )

15. sugar coat (sugarcoat)

16. pegged as (-in) an idiot

17. re-cleaning (recleaning)

18. took some desert (dessert)

19. plain cloths ( plain clothes)

20. hair cutting (haircutting)

21. rear view (rearview) (2x)

22. tip toes (tiptoes)

It is the role of the author to concentrate on the macro-environment of the story, the pace, flow, character development, dialogue, etc. The editor must get involved in the minutia, e.g. proofreading, spelling, appropriateness of the language, grammar, and the proper word usage to convey the author's thoughts clearly, In addition, the progression of events as they actually occur in the world portrayed in the story, and continuity of thought and clarity of expression are important areas of concern. An effective editor must hear what the author 'means, and assist him/her in saying it. These are areas where many so-called editors fail, as is the case here. It is legitimate to praise effort for its own sake, but no so to confuse effort with effectiveness. Courtesy is valuable; honesty is essential.

END OF RANT!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Wow.... Heart fully GREAT!!!!!

A story that makes you happy, makes you think, makes you cry, makes you feel wonderful! !!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
A warm glow

Some might call it soft, but it is a good tale and well told. I though more could have been made of the opposition to the Kitchen, but It went OK regardless.

.

Thank You

HP

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
another great story

After reading a few stories you know that things are going to happen ... you just don't know how or when. You just know you are along for the ride to enjoy the twists and turns as DreamCloud weaves his magical words into a great story. I just wish it wasn't so addicting!

Yoshi

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Very nice. Yes, it would make a good movie.

The humor and naturalism kept the story flowing without being either formulaic or overly saccharine sweet. I agree with the other comment it would make a good movie .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I don't leave comments

I don't leave comments even on the rare story I do vote 5 stars and I've been a silent casual reader here on lit for a number of years. A story has to truly move me to the point of an external emotional response to rate 5 stars, this one had me in tears: the power of a promise - awesome!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
moved me

I have a witnessed a lot of suffering with my line of work, and have emotions under control. Your stories evoke a response in me. You can identify with the characters. Keep up the great storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Better

Your talent make my life better... thanks

ProfoundpronounProfoundpronounabout 8 years ago
Another wow

Wow. Awesome. I loved everything about it.

atticus4atticus4about 8 years ago
Awesome

Extremely well written. The ONLY thing I saw were a couple of typos which aren't exactly a show stopper. Titillating dialogue. I loved the playful way David and Sadie interacted with each other. I could feel their pain at their spouses loss. I could feel the love that healed them without completely destroying the pain. And I could feel the struggle that they had to deal with to overcome their grief. One of the best stories I've read in a long time. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I'm in tears

This is amazing.

Cardswin2011Cardswin2011about 8 years ago
Incredible

Possibly the best story of its kind that I've read. The epitome of a feel-good story with absolutely no flaws.

mrChristianmrChristianabout 8 years ago
amazing

A real tear jerker, great. ...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

Good writing is good writing. This is good.

RB1947RB1947about 8 years ago
OK

I have read literally thousands of authors. None of them moved me the way you do. I don't think you know how much you give by posting, for free, the stories you have written. I am grateful. More than I can express.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
wow...

From one writer to another... you have a gift...

-jaye-

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Great Writing

You have a gift. What a "great" story. Thank you for sharing your gift of writing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
FAN BLOODY TASTIC

I am going out on a limb here? This story is the greatest thing that I have read in a long time. I wish I could give you gazillion stars. But you do the sums on the stars to equal 100 %. Love you all! Bye. Greg.

jaysgravejaysgraveabout 8 years ago
fucker, you made me cry

seriously though, excellent story. These are the kind of stories that keep me coming to this site. It takes a lot of sifting to find gems on here, and this is one. I'll be checking out your other works, good job.

dc6370dc6370about 8 years ago
I cried three seperate times!

Not sure what else I can say.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
The best story I have read so far

I have read a at least 50 stories on this site itself and I can say this is the best by far

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Enthralling and addictive

A very good read, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Another superlative

The best short story I ever read with or without the sex.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
One word: Amazing

Ranks right up there as one of the very best stories I have ever read. I don't normally read 9 pages in one sitting but did on this one. Thank you for the literary experience.

Malaysian in West Midlands

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
reread

I have read this story from page 1 thru 9 three times now, and it still fills my heart with sadness (for David AND Sadie) and their losses, and also with warmth at their union. It would be so nice to read more stories like this where sex isn't the dominating part. Thank you DreamCloud for a story well told.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Wow! Just wow.

Great story, so heartfelt. And exceptionally well written. I hope you write more and possibly publish the "tamer" ones on a site with a broader audience. Your a very good writer and others deserve the chance to read your stories like this one.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Absolutely Perfect

Someone recommended this site And your story was the first I read.... I did it all in one sitting, I was soo facinated. I needed to read something like this, Thank you DreamCloud! I cannnot wait to read more of your stories <3

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Thank you

This is such a wonderful story. Thank you so much

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Is it just me?

This work of yours in particular felt very clunky compared to your other works. Make no mistake, I have several of your stories bookmarked on my browser, so I like how you write. It's just that, I felt awkward reading this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Fucking beautiful

I never would have expected this kind of quality on a site like this but you absolutely delivered, one of the best I've read on here too. A tad clunky but still wonderful. I read it all in one sitting, gave up some sleep for it too. So thanks but no thanks you eloquent jerk.

TalonsreachTalonsreachalmost 8 years ago
A great read

I agree with some previous comments about parts that were "clunky". However, You are gifted in putting emotion and passion into your characters and into the story flow. A great job overall.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great Story Told

You never disappoint me DreamCloud. Always a wonderful story with twists and turns to keep your readers glued to the page. Emotion constantly smiles often and now and then a tear. You have a gift my man. Thanks for sharing it. BK

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

That's the third time that your stories have made my grown-ass self bawl like a fucking pansy and I hate you for it.

5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
of all the places

I'm completely at a loss. Didn't exactly come here looking for a story of this caliber with this depth. What was meant to be 15-30 minutes turned into a couple hours and lack of sleep. If i ever get the lucky chance to meet you DreamCloud, i don't even know what I'd do

VyresOfTheArtVyresOfTheArtalmost 8 years ago
Rated 20/5 😭😙😊

I completely wasn't expecting a story of this caliber. You bring yet another amazing story to the mix. I had tears in my eyes for most of it, and every word I read just made me want to read it more. Thank you for a very heartfelt story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Thanks

I just finished the promise and wanted to thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed the story and the characters you created. I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to reading more of your stories, thanks again for sharing and taking the time to do so. Please keep up the good work I look forward to enjoying more of your work!

miscacc201501miscacc201501almost 8 years ago
I keep coming back to read this every couple of weeks...

... and I end up teary eyed every time. I wish I could rate this 5*s every time I read it.

icebreadicebreadalmost 8 years ago
My first read of this story..

Bloody good. Five from me.

Kitist02Kitist02almost 8 years ago
Finally...

I don't remember, and can't understand, why I passed up reading this for so long. It was brilliant. I'm one who gets involved with a well-written story and this had me in tears for the last four pages.

Thank you for the writing that you gift us with. You have the ability to move our finer emotions that is rare in erotica. Usually the erotica writers appeal to a coarser quality of emotion and it is a grand treat to see your work.

rnebularrnebularalmost 8 years ago
Nailed it

Kristy nailed it on the head. This was a stunning piece, with so much depth that i to was a bit emotional at several stages. Grand work, and loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Gob smacked

Just great, could rival uve got mail, family man, etc...

janny54janny54almost 8 years ago
omg!

the best story on lit. when i could stop crying long enough to finish reading it. the situations, the characters, all the details were so spot on and delivered to perfection.

you are a most wonderful writer with such a passion for the human spirit.

thank you for sharing your amazing insight!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Might be your best

You are on my favorite authors list (a very short list) and I enjoy all of your work.

I must have missed this one, this was the first time I read it.

Thanks for a great read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Wow

Your delightful stories continue to amaze. Thank you so much for sharing. Now, where's the damn Kleenex?

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Such A Moving Story

Death,self destruction, and finally love. Nothing more to say except Bravo a great story 10+. Stars.

Ron/ cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous