All Comments on 'The Promise'

by DreamCloud

Sort by:
  • 641 Comments (Page 5)
AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thank you

I owe you.

AngryburritoAngryburritoover 3 years ago

Thanks so much for this story. I stumbled on it and really appreciate your sharing it

pepepilotpepepilotover 3 years ago

The second reading was as bad as the first. I cried when I first read it, and I cried again just now. It is amazing how you can draw your readers right into the middle of the story as if they are actually there. Great job. I only wish there were more new ones coming. A very sad loss indeed.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
One of the best story I have ever read

This is one of the best story. You made me cry man. I salute your writing power.

Well done and keep it up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

What a perfect ending.

Nuff said... And gee. That threw me off in a good way. Cause I was thnking that it was possible that her husband who probably died at age 21 wanted her to find love again but the thought of it being one of the actual promises he made Sadie take on wasn't on my mind. Still... I am moved.

Bound2BtakenBound2Btakenover 3 years ago

Beautiful!

5 Stars are not enough!

DarknsDarknsover 3 years ago
A wonderful story

Wow, what a pleasant surprise and thoroughly enjoyable reading experience. I say surprise as I only clicked on it in the “Similar Stories” column after finishing another story. One that I must say had no similarity to this at all, lol.

@DreamCloud ... thank you for sharing this gift of a story.

ScoratScoratover 3 years ago
wow

Completely different kind of story. Gorgeous flashbacks of Amber. You make it very easy to care about David.

rightbankrightbankover 3 years ago
warm fuzzies

everywhere.

TalonsreachTalonsreachover 3 years ago
There are not near enough stars

An incredibly poignant tale of love for our fellow man no matter the circumstances, of love for a spouse, of new love that acknowledged and embraced past love, of familial love. It's all here in a beautiful written masterpiece. I can only wish more masterpieces were forthcoming.

My star rating for this incredible story? Look to the night sky. I can only wish I could rate this story as high.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

I think this is about my 4th reading... Still touches... Just magnificent...

-jaye-

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Touching and Beautiful story

I am about to stop reading after a few paragraphs but something tells me that there's more to this story. I am very glad that I follow my feelings and finished the story. 5 star ✨✨✨✨✨🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 from me. Thank you for such a great story.

AsmodeousFallenAsmodeousFallenover 3 years ago
Amazing

I loved the way the story played out. When I started reading, I was originally just looking for a quick read and some half decent sex story, I was pleasantly surprised when I was thoroughly drawn in and given a wonderful experience. By the time the sex did come around, it didn't feel forced or unnecessary, it honestly felt like a wonderful way to cement the relationship between Sadie and David. 10/10 five stars. Will definitely read again and again. Please continue to write.

nkdoldmannkdoldmanover 3 years ago
A Beautiful, Beautiful story!!!

This story is so beautiful it actually brought tears to my old eyes! I am going to try to get my wife of over 50 years to read it, too, just because I feel it's so beautiful.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Love

A masterful job!

skruff101skruff101over 3 years ago

Storytelling really doesn’t get any better than this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This is the third time I’ve read this, and caused the heart of this old man to sing and cry as it did a few months ago when I first read it. This would make a great movie!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

I'm not crying, someone's just cutting onions.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
I’m NOT crying 😭

Each time I re-read this story my ... heart swells and my eyes release tears of loves past. Thank you for sharing your gift of prose with us. We are blessed.

- pal

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Inspirational writing at its best.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Truly great storytelling, great writing, great romance

Powerful writing, storytelling, and romance. I truly enjoyed all the twists in the story without any Lit clichés, the commitments to honor Promises, and the pay-it-forward support.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This is why readers should be able—at least once a year—be able to bestow a 10 star rating.

Bill

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
a truly wonderful story

brilliant

someoneothersomeoneotherabout 3 years ago

I read this story for the third time. It still had me emotional. The last paragraph is still one of the best endings I can recall in any story. A real 5*.

Rounding_ThirdRounding_Thirdabout 3 years ago

I agree with another commenter about the ten star rating. I give a 5 star to about any story I like. But this is on an entirely different level than the average5 star. Truly unbelievable

JacktacularJacktacularabout 3 years ago

Absolutely outstanding ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

demisx07demisx07about 3 years ago

Definitely definitely one of the best reads I had!! Kudos!!! 👌

👏👏👏👏👏👏

CaptFlintCaptFlintabout 3 years ago

So well written. Excellent pacing, characters that are real. One of the best.

Willsgirl01Willsgirl01about 3 years ago

OMG! I have tears in my eyes! That was such a beautiful story! Thank you for such a work of art!

urapnesurapnesabout 3 years ago

Sappy, predictable, but endearing with a steady pace and logical sequence of events, and i'm a sucker for a happy ending. As is, it works as a straight up love story, with minor tweeks it could play as a, romantic comedy, or whatever 50 shades of grey was. Hell if you made it a little longer it could be a miniseries on netflix. Not the kind of thing I normally read, but for the genre - top notch. I totally recommend to make a script. I could see it as a popular movie. I've got to check out some smut now, but will be back later to read more. :P

SlamnukeSlamnukeabout 3 years ago

It’s not often I find a story that evokes the kind of emotions this story did. I’m a huge and muscular guy and this story made me feel like a tiny hysterical woman with how often it made me tear up. Anyone who is married can relate to this story and the concept of spousal death. Absolutely amazing story, one of the best loss, heartbreak, and romance stories I’ve ever seen.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

How dare you?

How you have the temerity to write about such a mawkish tale of loss with such insouciant panache bespeaks an ego the size of Everest!

What makes things worse is the fact that you actually had the requisite skill to pull it off!

Congratulations, and 5 uncomfortable pointy things as a thank you for a great read!

Rocketmann22Rocketmann22about 3 years ago

I’m not sure but, emotional pain is pain. I’d rather not feel the emotional pain of losing someone I loved. This story reminds me of the pain. Part of this tale is very point on. So I don’t really know what or how to rate this story.

avidreader123avidreader123about 3 years ago

You have a gift. Very few stories have the power to bring me to tears, and you have written more than one of them. Your characters are fully fleshed people and the emotions you evoke are strong. Just beautiful, I hope you keep up the amazing work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Just finished reading this again. Seems to get better every time. Thank you so much!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This is my fourth time reading it and still got dust enter my eyes. I can never get enough of it. Thank you for your lovely story. Definitely a 5 star ✴️🌟✴️🌟✴️🌟✴️🌟✴️🌟 ratings.

Ali Singapore

mmbny47mmbny47about 3 years ago

The story is great and you sir are an AWESOME writer. Thank you for sharing your ideas and writing with us.

How do I rate this 6 stars ******

SignedBTWSignedBTWabout 3 years ago

Showen

"I love you," I said. I had thought it, and I had showen it." I actually thought that I had spotted a mistake, a typo in this masterpiece so I looked up "showen" on 'definitions.net'. I found - "the act of examining something closely (as for mistakes) · A. value · B. model · C. equity · D. scrutiny ..." A perfect word, in a perfect story as was the ending. We all knew where the story was going to end up with Sadie and David, but the way of getting there is not to be bettered anywhere. Two things though; thanks for the follow through with Houser and Natalie, and I want that vermin Terrence Douglas from the Infernal Revenue Service plus who ever sent his ass with their heads mounted high on pikes. Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

It didn't go where I thought it was headed. Great plot and a good bit of emotion. Absolutly loved it. I can read stories like this all day

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Delete the first page or two then maybe it can be read. No one is going to think crowd is applauding her death. He just wants to die and I understand that completely. It would have kept me reading if his anger was held in check for judge to say he was in and him to say no, I was just keeping my promise. Then go try to die.

des67des67almost 3 years ago

What an incredible story, enjoyed reading it immensely, 10 Stars if I was able...Not many stories are of homelessness, but this story tells of what happens behind the scenes... Well Done...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

You are one incorrigible, hopeless romantic. But one that knows to put it into words very well. You sound like someone perhaps with too much love to give and no one to give it to. Or someone who understands what it is to be there at least.. The story is completely predictable, yet this does not diminish the joy of reading it in any way. Six stars indeed and tx!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Beautiful. 10 stars.

ElyasElyasalmost 3 years ago

A very, very touching and beautiful story. I loved reading it. Please continue in this way!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This story was excellent. It made me cry...a lot! I loved it unconditionally ❤

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this,

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

had to get on the youtube for some grateful dead sugar magnolia to finish this one up -- what a sweet sweet tale you wove !

enderlocke77enderlocke77almost 3 years ago

well u sure dont need to work on ur character development. few missing fill in words but i see that in every story here. placing some little humor here and there was a good combo with the drama. tbh feels a bit pro'ish. even the pros need editors. this would have been flawless with a good editor. ty for the read

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

bro. you should write professionally, this was amazing aside from a few grammar mistakes. i'd give you 6 stars if i could, great job with this one

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

First rate. Very good story, well paced and well written. I ignore a lot of grammar mistakes like misspellings, commas, exclamation points, stories switching from 1st to 3rd etc. We are not supposed to be professionals yet you did yourself proud...until the very end LOL. Just before Sadie shares her thoughts at the end, David wraps up the story with the only misspelling ... Showen. I laughed. 5 Stars + 1 for Showen

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I was in tears for half your damn story. So damn you and thankyou.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I appreciate this as only a person can who has lost an "Amber".

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I liked it. It is a bit simplistic at times. When you read biographies like David Rockefeller's you realize this is a bit like the tail wagging the dog in it's portrayal of oligarchs. In so far as he is responsible for where the government put diplomats in the middle east. What I'm getting at with this is it's a naive portrayal of how a victory could be won, because the bad guy could fabricate a mayoral scandal or go at the protagonist's neck for moving on too quickly from amber via his media ties (which he appears to have) and the support dissipates. However, if you suspend disbelief of naive politics, this is a story I enjoyed more than most.

GrassIsGreenerGrassIsGreeneralmost 3 years ago

Great Story. Really a beautiful story. Had tears in my eyes most of the 9 pages.

Thank You

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I dunno why its here it easily could have been a disney movie:(

Anyway pretty good one

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

LOVED it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

sell it for a movie story. I'd buy a ticket right now.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Awesome! Should be expanded into a screenplay.

SummadeezSummadeezalmost 3 years ago

That really was amazing. It wasn't really the type of story I thought I'd find here. However it was beautiful writing, thank you for sharing that.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago
Hmm

Talk about a Hallmark moment.

pepepilotpepepilotalmost 3 years ago

This is my third read of this epic story. It is hard to believe how much stronger the story gets each time I read it. The monsoon still strikes, but maybe a bit stronger than the last time I read it. It was 5 stars the first time I read it, it is probably about 15 stars this time if only I could.

Fantastic story from all aspects. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Why do all your stories make me cry like a baby instead of a 62 Yr old ex RAF vet

.

CaedynCaedynalmost 3 years ago

I have glad tidings for all of you DreamCloud fans. He is still writing, but on another site (Wattpad), using a different nom de plume (mdpotter55). He is currently writing an epic-length fantasy novel called “Unseen” that is nearing the end. Although his collection of stories on Lit are amazing, this latest work is my favorite. Give it a read! And while you’re at it, drop DreamCloud a note using direct feedback to express your appreciation for his works that he is giving away for free. That’s what I did, and that’s how I found out about his new writings. Enjoy!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

First all in one word, "WOW". I have never before commented on any story on this website because no one deserved it before. It has been many years since I have a story so griping, and well presented. This story needs to be published and presented to the public in general. Keep going as you are and you will be a published writer. KUDOS

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Awesomely written. I just read it through for the second time. Just as good as the first time. You're understanding of people, their motivations and reasonings, is amazing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Thank you! Thank you for the gift of this story. The last time I was moved by a story this much, was when I read “Lost Boys” by Orson Scott Card. Please get this book published and sell it on Amazon (Kindle, audio and paperback). I’ll purchase 4 copies of each for myself and as gifts. Please, never stop creating because the world definitely needs literature in ALL forms with artists like yourself behind them! Again, thank you for gracing us with your work and I do hope when it’s published, you keep the same name or at least something close to it (The Promise Keeper). Thank you and keep writing! 😭

TGun3112TGun3112over 2 years ago
This crazy world need more stories like this!

If I had your writing skills, I might be able to express what "The Promise" meant to me, WOW! This story is a real inspiration to me, and its time I started keeping all my promises.

This is the first story of yours I've read, Your writing, characters, and plot blew me away. I could feel the cold, the hunger and the grief. 10+ ⭐️s

Our society, torn in so many ways by politics, hate, fear, and racism, needs inspiring

stories like this that makes people want to help, and shows what can be accomplished when we stand up for what's right and pull together. As the richest country in the world there's no telling what we could accomplish if we could all pull together!

As it is, we should be ashamed for the way we treat those less fortunate than us.

We all come into this world naked and defenseless, and we leave it alone, taking nothing with us. It's what we do in between that makes the world a better or a worse place.

Thank you, and keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

wonderful!

ElliotAldersonElliotAldersonover 2 years ago

A great story about love and the simple kindnesses shown by people to people. Then love that can blossom between a lonely soul and another lonely soul. And friendship between two people who need each other's help.

More kleenex than The Beach House which was my first read by this impressive author. GREAT story. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This should be made into a motion picture. Yes, it would be a great movie! J.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I’ve read this story a month apart for the last five months, because I didn’t want it to lose its specialness for me. I see now that should not be a concern. This story really needs to be made into a movie just the way it’s written. I don’t go to movies, but I would for this one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Having an accounting background, and also being a widower, this story held a lot of personal feelings for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful story. I imagined it up as in a motion picture. You're giving me hope about love and life. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A beautiful, touching and intelligent tale of love and loss and love again. Endearing characters, a tense and almost plausible back story and a fairytale ending. What more can want for 5 measly points.

LA

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

hello DreamCloud,

Not the first time I have read this one.

Still stir up lots of emotions.

About loosing so much and having a second chance to Love.

You have amazing talent to create a world in just a few pages.

I know you decided to not add any more stories here.

I also know why... and it really suck.

This real world is full of A**holes. One has steal from you.

But in some way... We '' Readers '' are paying the price.

Because we are cut off from being able to enjoy new wonderful stories from you.

I keep coming back here on your profile here with the hope that you have change your mind.

It seems you will keep that promise you made.

Sadly.

I hope you are well and have found peace about that.

At least, you did not pull out the stories already posted.

And we can enjoy reading them again.

Thank you for that.

Red8...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This one of your few stories it took me 3 times to be able to read. The raw emotion made so hard to read it without feeling it. Since I have read and love so many of your other stories, I kept after it. This was a wonderful story! You differently have a gift.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

In a sea of want and abandon, this stirring story shines as a beacon of hope, love and redemption for all those who have lost their way or can connect with the probability.

Your talent and humility is unmatched in this forum and my goal henceforth will be to uncover the rich treasures of your art so that I may again be blessed.

dgfergiedgfergieover 2 years ago

Love this story some of it mirrors my own experiences. The story brought tears and brought smiles and understanding. There are good people in this world that think and care for others more than themselves.

Dreamcloud is one of the exceptionable writers here on LIT he aspire to loftier things.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Sell the movie rights Dreamcloud!

Tear jerker , in the top 10 here to read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Amazingly wonderful tale! They are right.... Should be a movie.... I'd watch it. Great work! Keep it up!

AnyMooseAnyMooseover 2 years ago

One minor point; should've been a line towards the end that BTW, the IRS agent and the mid-level Abernathy employee who sicced him on Sarah and the City Kitchen both pled guilty to felony offenses and were headed for a short stint in prison. Karma is not to be ignored...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This is one of those really powerful, creative stories that keeps you captivated.. It's definitely romance.... Not quite "non-erotic". The tiny bit of sex is fittingly not really the point of the story. Not one to read of your just trying to get aroused. A seriously interesting but if writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

ONLY 5 STARS

cos that's all that's available. I'd have made it fifteen. Thank you for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

definitely a movie

Rolando1225Rolando1225over 2 years ago

Beautiful story about the up and downs of life with a heartfelt ending. Well-written and thought. Thanks for the story, and please keep writing.

shadowjack17shadowjack17over 2 years ago

This one hit me hard. I spent a time eating from garbage cans and dumpsters while sleeping where and as I could. Pittsburgh winters suck, by the way. I met a woman on a bus coming back from selling my blood (gotta love the Arby's 5 for 5 and if you've not been on the razor's edge you won't know what I'm talking about) and no words were spoken. I just decided to stop running and live again. I never forgot it, though. Houser is a no kidding thing, by the way. Street people are good people. I never forgot my version, even though she died two years later.

Best story ever. Just saying.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

This the second time reading this. The previous time I gave this 5 stars.

This time however it deserves 5+ stars.

Hiram325Hiram325over 2 years ago

A fabulous tale, well told.

Old_LionOld_Lionover 2 years ago

Wonderful Story, truly well crafted and written.

You were able to ease my burden for a few hours as I failed in a Suicide attempt 10 days ago. Unfortunately I wasn't treated as a wounded person, I was treated like a Criminal. Of my own volition I now choose to not hurt my grown Children and Grandkids. I will be fighting and dealing with a failing body and extreme pain. Thank you very much.

qlix98qlix98over 2 years ago

I think I found a bug on the website... I don't see the 6th star when rating the story. Simply perfection.

koolme98koolme98over 2 years ago

So touching and full of love. Thanks a lot

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It's not very often I've ever seen a 5 star plus story here. A couple of sixes, yes.

but this is the first seven, and the best story I've seen in years

thank you

GrandEagle53GrandEagle53over 2 years ago

Absolute perfection.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Beautiful story. Thanks.

fredbrownfredbrownover 2 years ago

Having been thru the fires of hell I didn't remember I was a softie, I would just read Literotica for the sex stories BUT I'm afraid old "DreamCloud" can bring tears to my eyes with every tale he writes.

I love this story, as I love every DreamCloud story I've read so far. This is a 5 as big as I can make a 5! Thanks for your writing ......

GongguyGongguyover 2 years ago

Read for a second time and I was as enthralled as I was the first time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thank you!!!!

mrdata9770mrdata9770over 2 years ago

(1/16/2022) This was a well-written, wonderful, heartwarming, uplifting story filled with realized hope. A nice fantasy for a world filled with strife, pain, and hopelessness. Therapy for the overwhelmed and depressed. It was definitely, an enjoyable read. 5 stars!

GillotineGillotineover 2 years ago

So, at what point does everyone else's eyes start to water?!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

BRAVO!! Really got sucked in to the body and soul of the story told with such emotion and feeling.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous