The Unwanted Swap Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rose stared back at me. "Eddie, it's wonderful. I can't believe you did all this. Oh god, you bloody genius."

They both disappeared up the hallway into the bedrooms. Again the shriek of delight. I could hear them talking about the bath.

I wandered back out to the caravan and put the kettle on for a cup of tea. They appeared about half an hour later, hand in hand, smiles a mile wide. I only had two camp chairs, so I pulled up a box for myself.

They pulled their chairs into a circle around the crate table. As you could expect, it was uncomfortable, the silence deafening.

I waited, but it was obvious that nobody knew what to say. It was going to have to be me.

"How have you been, Rose."

She looked up from her tea. "Great actually, Hon, busy though, you know, work and everything."

"Yeah, congratulations by the way. Claire told me you started working with Tony. Are you enjoying it?" Claire's harsh glare told me she wasn't happy with that comment.

"Actually, I quit. Did Claire not tell you? Once I found out what sort of man he really was, I could no longer work with him."

At that, I peeked over at Claire. I saw her brows furrow, but she said nothing.

"No, sorry. Claire never mentioned that. Where are you working now then?"

She raised her arms in a defeated gesture. "Nowhere at the moment. I talked to the old company, and they seem interested. I have put out some feelers, nothing yet, though."

Claire scowled at me as tears started to stream down her face. It didn't stop me feeling the stinging pain of her dagger stare.

Rose saw the tears, as well, and rushed to drag Claire into a cuddle. "Oh, babe, I'm sorry for bringing all that up. We should have been more sensitive." She glared at me with pleading eyes.

Claire gave her a quick kiss and pushed her away gently. "No, I have to get used to it. We are going to be the centre of a media frenzy when our divorce goes public. I need to learn to be strong. It's not your fault, darling. If it hadn't been for you, I would never have found out."

Rose sighed. "I wish I'd kept my bloody trap shut."

"No, don't say that. You did the right thing, I just have to learn to be strong. I don't want to be the teary-eyed snivelling ex-wife."

"You are far from that, honey. You have so much to live for. All your charity work. People love and depend on you. I couldn't live without you."

They hugged again, and I watched as they separated. She didn't know. Claire had obviously not told Rose about us. Ha, us... Was there an us? If so, what was it?

I made more tea as they sat enjoying the sun.

When I returned with more tea and some biscuits, Rose asked, "What about you, Eddie? Claire tells me you are working at Rickson's? How's that working out?"

"It's okay, pays the mortgage."

She squinted, her face tight. "That must be a bit boring after the other projects you worked on?"

"The pace is a bit slower, more time to focus on the cottage, which I enjoy."

"When do you expect to have the place finished, Eddie?"

I gave a casual shrug of my shoulders. "Not sure. I will probably get the construction finished in the next month or so. Then I will lock it up and see about finding a job that pays a bit more. I have been offered a job in the Emirates which pays bloody well, but it's a twelve month contract."

Claire looked completely shocked. "What? why not just increase your mortgage?"

"No, I hate the idea of owing them, and paying through the nose. I'm not in a hurry. If the place stays locked up for a year, then so be it."

"You could rent it out, let somebody else pay your mortgage."

"Yeah, I thought of that, but I can't afford to get all the appliances."

Claire blurted out, "I will just give you the damn money. You are not flying off to god knows where just because of money."

"I'm not a bloody charity case, Claire. I can pay my own way. I appreciate the offer, but that's not my way."

She started to cry again. "I was just trying to help, I don't want you to leave."

Rose sat staring at Claire, I could see the wheels turning. "Eddie, I could give you the money. If you won't let Claire help, what about if I lend you the money?

When I didn't respond she sighed. "Eddie, I would love to help. I know you don't think much of me, but I do love you. I would feel honoured if you would allow me to help."

"I said no. Thank you for the generous offer, Rose, but I meant it. You keep your money."

"Eddie, it's not mine, it's ours. The money I made from investments. I made that investing our money. Half of that is still legally yours."

"I took my share of what was our money. It was fair and equitable. If you made money investing your half, then more power to you."

"Christ, don't be stupid, take the money. At least you could finish your home and not have to travel anymore."

"Rose, keep your bloody money. I don't want it."

"Why do you even care?" I snorted.

"Eddie, this place is amazing and I want to see it finished. Eddie, that day Tony brought us down here, after Gordon's party, I was stunned. It was so beautiful. All the old stone work, the quality of the work. I felt terrible, knowing this was what you saw and I turned my nose up at it."

"Yeah, well not everybody sees that stuff."

"No, but you did. I was so busy trying to prove to myself I was somebody, I didn't even listen. I heard you and Gordon talking, your descriptions of what you wanted to do, and all I could think of was getting home to see how my investments were going."

"It's all right, darling." Claire offered as Rose began to cry. As Claire held Rose she started to cry, as well, and they both sat wrapped together. I went inside and found a box of tissues, which I carried out Rose took gratefully. "Thanks, Hon."

She wiped away Claire's tears, then her own and sniffled noisily. "Eddie, I disregarded you. I underestimated you. I was so tied up in what I was doing that I forgot about you and I am so sorry for everything that happened."

"I'm sorry as well, Rose. I said some terrible things. I felt emasculated, you put Tony at the head of our household, and that hurt. You went to him for everything, advice, guidance, intimacy. Even if you didn't actually have sex, it was an affair, an emotional one."

Staring up at me from her tear stained face, she said, "I'm sorry. I see that now. At the time I was so angry with you. I found you the perfect job and you turned up your nose. That hurt. It felt like you didn't trust my judgement, like you had no faith in me."

"No, Rose, you're wrong. I realised you were right. It was a good job. I just didn't want to owe Tony anything. I could see him trying to seduce you. It hurt that when I warned you and you couldn't see it. You didn't even try; you just ignored my opinion."

Rose's face tightened and she wiped away some tears. "Sitting here now, knowing what we all know, it looks easy. At the time I was convinced he was just being nice. I admit I was a bit infatuated. I wanted you back home. I was lonely. Sick of living like a widow. I was young and felt abandoned."

She swiped her hand across her nose and sniffled. "I was trying to make a future for us. Make some money so we could finally buy our home."

I stood in silence, just staring blankly. She added, "I gave you the solution; I could make us money. I laid it out for you. I showed you. I proved I could do it. Then, even though you said you would support me, you flipped and screamed and yelled at me like I was a child, a simpleton."

"I was angry because you lied to me. You took all our money without even consulting me, I didn't get a say in it. Tony said do it, so you did. Just another example of his opinion being more important than mine."

"Eddie, it wasn't like that. The reason I didn't tell you was I knew what you would say. You would make it about him, and really it had nothing to do with him. What I hoped is you wouldn't notice for a couple of months, and by then I would have made enough to prove I could do it."

The vitriol was flowing thickly now, and Claire sensed we were about to lose it. She grabbed Rose's face, turned it and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Shush, darling. Take a breath. Let it all out."

Gradually, Rose calmed down and Claire said, "I think we should go, leave you to it. Thanks for the tour, Eddie."

"Yes, the house is wonderful," Rose agreed.

We did have a hug before they drove off.

My heart beat a staccato rhythm watching the car disappear. Up until that point in time I had managed to convince myself that I was over Rose. She was consigned to my history. Now, I knew that wasn't the case.

Love? I don't know. What I did know is it hurt seeing her drive away. Claire had muddied the waters. God she was beautiful, but what could we hope for, was there a future for us, and what was Rose going to say when she found out? God, would it destroy their friendship. All the talk about open marriage, that concept seemed far away now.

I dived into the house. I tried to forget, but their images were etched in my brain. Her scent still lingered.

It was late that evening before Claire came back. I was just cooking dinner when she walked in.

Her eyes were streaky and she looked terrible. I opened my arms and welcomed her in. We kissed, a long slow lingering kiss that lightened the mood. She smiled warmly, her voice soothing. "Thank you, darling."

We sat on the bed, she bolted down her food and started picking at my plate, stealing chips. "Eddie, she still loves you."

I nodded as I sipped my beer. "I take it you didn't tell her about us?"

She shook her head. "No, how could I? The moment we drove off she broke down and said how much she still loves you. What was I going to say?"

She sipped her wine thoughtfully. "You weren't serious about moving away, were you?"

"Sort of. I need to make some money to finish the house."

"Please, Eddie, I couldn't stand it if you left right now. God, I need you; you're all that's keeping me afloat."

"I don't know, Claire. I want to finish the house, but the longer I hang on at the moment the further in debt I get. I don't want to leave. I don't know what this is between us, but I have to say I like it. Is there an us? Am I being crazy?"

"Eddie, there is definitely an us. I couldn't have got through the last week without you. I am dying inside, and you have been my life raft. I love that you haven't pushed."

She frowned, adding, "I will give you the damn money. If you want to keep your damn pride, I will give you a job."

"A job... doing what?"

"I don't know, something, anything to keep you here." She gave me a cheeky little smile. "What about lover? You could be my gigolo"

"If it's a gigolo you want, I'm sure you could do better than me?"

"Eddie darling, stop it, stop putting yourself down, I love that you are down to earth and not big headed, but you always underestimate yourself. You are a wonderfully sexy man, and as a lover, let me tell you, I am not disappointed."

She laughed at my blush.

We made love again, and it was even more explosive then the first time. We seemed to be finding our way around our bodies, what we liked. Claire was pure luscious sex, adventurous and prepared to try anything.

Every night the caravan suspension got a workout it would remember forever.

Of course, things had to change. I sensed Claire had a problem she was struggling to share. It burst out as we lay cuddled together, our bodies stuck together by the cooling sweat.

"Eddie, I want to tell Rose. I feel terrible lying to her. She has been so supportive. I want to be honest with her."

Surprised, I asked, "Wow, how do you think she will take it?"

"I have to say, I honestly do not know. We have spoken and I know she still loves you, still harbours some hope of rekindling your marriage."

"If that's the case, she is not going to take this well. You might lose a friend."

"So you would rather I lie to her?"

"No, god no. You know I hate lies. I am just worried about what will happen. If she actually has some fantasy about us becoming husband and wife again, then this is going to put an end to that."

"I know, but what else can I do?" She asks about you all the time. She asks what you are doing, how the house is coming along. She wants to be part of your life."

"That will change, though, once she realises that we, you and I are an item. Then It is going to be very unpleasant."

She sniffed back a little sob. "I cannot continue to lie to her. If she takes it badly, I don't know what I will do. If it wasn't for her I would never have found out about Tony."

"Okay, what do you want me to do?"

"I am going to tell her tomorrow. It will be bad because she has not been able to find a job. I am going to take her to lunch and hope for the best."

I went to work the next day feeling pensive. Once Claire dropped this on Rose, any possibility of us reconciling was going to be blown apart.

All day I walked around checking my phone. Lunch came and went, still nothing. Should I call? Text? God, texting seemed cruel. What if Rose blew up and stormed out. Claire was in a fragile place and losing her best friend would not help.

Three o'clock came and went, four... Thank god five finally rolled around and I escaped. I raced home expecting to find Claire's car parked by the caravan, but no, the place was vacant.

I started cooking dinner; should I cook for one, or two? I decided on two. Nothing, my phone didn't ring and I was scared, Oh damn it, something bad must have happened.

In the end I decided I couldn't spend the rest of the night like this. I needed to know. I dialled her mobile. It rang and rang before I heard a drunken giggly voice whisper. "Yes."

Confused I rasped. "Is that you, Rose?'

"Yes it is you dirty bugger. What have you done to my friend?"

I heard Claire in the background squealing hysterically. "Give me the phone."

The voice changed and I heard Claire laughing crazily. "Hello, darling, are you all right?" The words barely out and she giggled. I heard Rose in the background. "Darling, oh is that you, darling? You dirty bitch."

"Are you drunk?" I asked stupidly.

"Sorry, darling, yes we may have had a little tipple when we got home."

"You're at your place?"

"Yes, darling, we are having a drink. Why don't you come over?"

"I was cooking dinner, I have yours ready, as well."

"Oh, you lovely man." Her voice went silent as she must have turned to Rose. "Darling, he has cooked us dinner. Shall we go over?"

"Oh god yes, I'm starving," I heard Rose cry out.

"Thank you, my sexy man, we are on our way."

"What, both of you?"

"Yes of course."

I went back to the cooker. Shit, how was I going to stretch this out for three?

I chucked more potatoes in and found more chicken. I threw it all in.

Flopping back on the bed I wondered, what the fuck?

Half an hour later my peace was destroyed by the singing and dogs yapping wildly. I put the dogs' bowls outside and filled them with water.

I looked up the drive and saw Rose and Claire, arm-in-arm, staggering back and forth cross the drive as they tried to make some progress.

I went back inside. The singing got louder as they burst, read fell, in through the door. Claire was on the bottom and Rose was sprawled across her. They giggled wildly as they tried to get up. Claire babbled. "Get up, you bitch, you're squashing me."

Rose gushed, "Fuck you. Husband stealer."

Claire spluttered loudly, "I didn't steal him, he was just laying there."

"Oh yeah, and you just decided to fall on his cock."

Claire couldn't answer she was laughing so much. As Rose clambered off her, Claire gurgled, "It was an accident, he was just laying there."

"Oh yeah, so you kept having the same accident, over and over."

"Oh god yes, and it was so lovely." They both tittered as they helped each other up.

"What the hell have you been drinking?" I asked.

They glanced at each other. "Well, we started with the bastard's favourite twenty-year-old Glenlivet. Then when that was gone, we drank his brandy, then his bourbon. Then the vodka looked lonely, so we drank that as well."

Rose added, "He is going to be so pissed."

"Yeah, but not as pissed as you two."

Claire reached into the fridge and pulled out the champagne. "Let's have a drink."

I grabbed the bottle. "Haven't you had enough?"

"No!" they both cried in unison.

Claire yelled, "Let's go outside, it's lovely out there."

Arm in arm they staggered their way out. Seated in the camp chairs they both started talking over each other, neither listening. On and on they went, laughing, babbling crazily, like out of control chipmunks.

I took some food out to them but I worried whether it was a good idea. If they got sick it would just be worse.

I needn't have bothered; they were too far gone. I went back inside to eat mine and they sat there happily babbling away. "Claire, I love you." Rose mumbled.

"I love you more," Claire burbled. "I love you so much, darling."

"Darling," Rose gushed. "I thought Eddie was your darling?"

"He is, he is, but I love you more. You are my bestie. My support. I love you."

"I love you too, babes." Rose spluttered.

Back and forth, total gibberish. I ate my food wondering where the hell this was going to end.

I heard a loud crash, looked outside and Rose had fallen off her chair and was on her hands and knees, hurling her guts out.

Claire heard or saw, and she fell the other way repeating the offence. Both of them. I helped Rose first. I sat her back into her chair so she was out of her vomit. Next I helped Claire as she staggered up and back into her chair.

She wrapped her arms around my neck holding on tight. "Oh god, Eddie, yuck. Are you disgusted?"

My turn to laugh. "No, silly, but man are you going to have a hangover from hell in the morning."

Just then Rose exploded another stream of vile green vomit. It went everywhere and I had to rush and get a towel to wipe it off her. She smelt disgusting, and I helped her up and moved her around to the shower. Turning it on, I walked her in. The warm water flushing away the smell, Rose started crying. "Eddie, god, what have I done?" Her arms held tightly as I started removing her top, then her skirt. I left her bra and panties on. I washed her hair and finally managed to get her out. I moved her chair over too a clean space where she could stretch out.

Claire was no better, she was back on her hands and knees. I did the same for her as I did for Rose, she staggered out and I placed her chair beside Rose. They leaned together as I used the towel to rub them dry. Thank god it was a warm night. Claire had a few clothes there, but not many.

Once they were dry, I put fresh bras and panties on her, led her into the caravan and lay her on the bed.

Next was Rose. She was so drunk she was unconscious. I quickly stripped off her undies and replaced them. The bras were a bit loose. Claire was decidedly bigger than Rose. At least they were dry.

As I worked her panties back on, I couldn't help admiring her body. The new workout regime had really toned her body. There was no cellulite. Her muscles were toned and taut.

God damn she was hot.

I lifted her up and half carried, half dragged her inside, as well. I laid her beside Claire. The moment Claire felt her body beside her she spluttered. "I love you, Rose."

They cuddled up, semi conscious, and I walked outside to clean up and get my wet clothes off. When I went back inside to get dry clothes they were already snoring their heads off.

Back outside, I surveyed the scene. What a flaming mess. I got the hose and hosed down the area to try and get rid of the smell.

I hunted around until I found my old sleeping bag and dragged it outside. Sleep was slow coming. I went back inside several times to check on them.

123456...9