The Whole Nine Yards Ch. 01

Story Info
Philosophies clash; should an arrest be prosecuted?
18.5k words
4.83
7.9k
8

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 05/28/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 1 - Prologue

(Author's note: This story is a continuation of 'Sugar and Spice', and if I had it to do all over again, I'd have made it the last chapters of that story. Thanks for your patience with it.)

2:00pm, Saturday, July 11th. Becca Larrington was a beautiful bride. With her father nowhere in the world to be found, she had asked me to walk her down the aisle and give her away to the Groom, Senior Sergeant Roy McGhillie.

It was a 'Police wedding' all the way, with the Groom and his groomsmen in their formal Police uniforms, and even the officiating Officer, Father Alberto Romano, wearing his formal uniform with clerical collar. The Best Man, Roy's father Ian McGhillie, was in a civilian suit of dark blue, very similar to the Police Uniform colors.

As we got in line to walk under the Arch of Swords, the same one as when Teresa had been married (Author's note: 'Soap Opera', Ch. 04.), I noticed the locket necklace Becca was wearing. I'd seen it before; indeed, I'd brought it to Becca from Paris after her sister Kathy had died. (Author's note: 'The French Connection', Ch. 02.)

"Yes, I'm wearing Kathy's locket." Becca said, seeing my eyes observing it. "This locket is all I have of her to be here with me today. That's my only regret... that she's not here."

"She's here." I said. I tapped my chest with my fist and said "And as long as she's here in our hearts, she's never gone."

Becca nodded, and a forming tear threatened her makeup. "Thank you for bringing her locket back home... and for being there with her... and for walking me down the aisle."

"It's my honor." I said. "Now let's go get you married and creating much happier moments." We stood at the beginning of the Arch of Swords as the music changed from 'Ave Maria' to 'Here Comes The Bride', then the swords clanged together as we walked down the aisle. No one noticed me; they were seeing a blushing, beautiful young bride walk down the aisle to be joined in matrimony with the man she loved...

Part 2 - Morning Coffee

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, July 14th (Bastille Day in French-speaking parts of Europe), from in front of Union Hall. "The Police Union stands firm on its demand that Commander Donald Troy be fired!"

Bettina began: "After a long and bitter negotiating session with representatives of its membership yesterday, the Police Union issued a statement reiterating its demand that Commander Donald Troy be fired for assaulting Sergeant McCombs as well as violating the rights of a Patrolman during an inquiry. The initial discussions were the result of a movement by a large percentage of the Officers to formally decertify the Union if the Union persists in demanding Commander Troy's firing."

Bettina: "Sources tell Channel Two News that the Union leaders pressed the point that if they are decertified, there will be no one protecting the Officers nor speaking for their interests when the Police leadership or the Town & County political leadership throw the Officers under the table when Social Justice groups call for Officers to be fired or even criminally charged for just doing their jobs. The Union also pointed out that their defense of the Patrolman against Donald Troy's actions are exactly the reason they are needed to represent the rank-and-file Officers."

Bettina: "While no Officers were willing to go on camera, several Officers told Channel Two News under condition of anonymity that if the Union is decertified, those that don't want to decertify the Union could go on strike. This adds to the considerable tension of the overall situation, as those Officers discussing decertification have also discussed going on strike if Commander Troy is fired or even suspended over these issues."

Bettina: "And in a related story, Federal Judge Ruth B. Taney has set Thursday, July 23d as the date for the two sides to make arguments in her Court. The Police Union filed the Federal lawsuit after the TCPD failed to respond to the Union's grievance of Commander Troy, and after their lawsuit in State Superior Court was dismissed with prejudice...."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So who are Bettina's sources?" Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle asked as she, ADA Paulina Patterson, and I sat in my office and drank coffee as we watched the broadcast.

"The Union." I said. "Who else?"

Teresa said "That's what I'm wondering. The Union is defending McCombs, who displayed outright racism when he tried to murder an unarmed black man, and a dirtbag Officer who I noticed Bettina refused to name out loud. And besides the fact they're attacking you, it's clear they don't have the support of their members. So why leak to Bettina?"

I said "To make a short story long... a lot of people have a blind spot in that they believe everyone sees things the same way they themselves do. I suspect that that is what's happening here. The Union thinks people will agree with their position and take their side on this when their Media allies report on this situation. It would absolutely stun them that a lot of people out there do not agree with them, nor believe what the Media is saying about it. From what I hear, they're shocked that their membership has not marched in jackbooted lockstep with them, much less actually opposing them."

Teresa said "That makes some sense. I talked with Rudistan yesterday and Kalsu last night, and they told me what happened in the meeting. The Union Reps really blasted them, Kalsu and DeLong, for daring to oppose their support for McElwane against you, and repeatedly asked what the rank-and-file were going to do if you treated any of them the same way."

Teresa: "And that may be a genuine complaint, but Kalsu thought they were just bluffing and biding their time on the rest of it. They threatened that the Officers that didn't want to decertify would strike if the decertification went through, and at 35-40% of the overall Force, that's not an idle threat."

Teresa: "Additionally, Rudistan exposed that the lead Union Rep's sister is a leader of the NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union, and that it's their personal vendetta the Police Union is pushing for them. That doesn't help their cause with the rank-and-file vis-a-vis you, sir, but it did show Kalsu and DeLong that the Reps were dug in and had no intention of giving an inch, but were willing to string along the talks until Federal Judge Taney makes a ruling. And when Kalsu pushed that point about the relationship with the Teacher's Union, the Union Reps told him to, quote, 'fuck off', and they got up and left the meeting."

"Sounds about right." I said.

"What did you hear?" Paulina asked me.

"Nothing." I said. "But I was expecting things to go that way, and anticipating the result that did happen."

Paulina asked "Do you think Federal Judge Taney will force the TCPD into binding Federal arbitration?"

"You tell me." I said. Paulina was learning that when one comes to my klatches, one gets 'tested'. She'd tested me on the law enough times, too...

Paulina said "I can't. Since you're personally named in the grievance, I can't advise you, as that would be considered 'personal services'."

"At least not in front of my tattle-tale Operations Officer." I said with a grin. If Teresa carried a crowbar, it would've been waved in my general direction. As it was, her 'look' at me was plenty enough.

I then said: "It's not in our CBA (collective bargaining agreement) to have to accept binding Federal arbitration of any disputes. So an attempt to force us to do that could result in us getting out of the CBA, which would de facto decertify the Union. Judge Taney doesn't want to hurt the Union. Also, the Federal Appeals Court we'd be taking it to is friendly to us, and not to the Leftwing Looneyverse."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*Whirrrrrrrrrrr*

At 7:55am, Captain of Detectives Tanya P. Muscone came to my office for the Angels Meeting.

"Where were you at 7:00am?" asked Teresa.

"Since the Chief is not having coffee klatches anymore," Tanya replied, "I invited my Lieutenants Three to watch with me in my office. It's not really big enough for the four of us, especially when Rudistan is in there, but we had a good time. Rudistan has some great wit that was missing from the Command Group's klatches."

"I'm sure." I said drily. "And do not dare complain about the size of your Captain's office." Tanya grinned wickedly, and even Teresa cracked a smile at the running joke.

Teresa said "I was going to have the Precinct Captains and Lieutenants join me for a morning klatch, but the Chief is meeting with them today. He's going to meet with the support people tomorrow. I suspect he's gauging support for and against the Union, and getting feedback."

"He wants to join me and the Detective Lieutenants one day, too." said Tanya. "So you might be right that he's gauging the mood of the Force."

"I wouldn't be surprised." I said, turning on the KFXU broadcast. "Okay, lets watch some TV."

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" we heard Catrina Pierce say. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me as always is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith."

"Good morning, Catrina." said Meredith Peller "Good morning everyone. Here's what's in the news. A meeting between the Police Union and representatives of its membership ended abruptly when the Union Reps walked out. Sources tell Fox Eight News that the Reps walked out after it was brought up that one of the Union Reps's sister is a member of the NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union."

Catrina: "The Teacher's Union is still very bitter over the new Charter giving school taxation to the Town & County Assembly rather than the School Board. Some Officers believe the Police Union is demanding the firing of Commander Donald Troy as a favor to the Teacher's Union, only adding to the Officers's anger over the Union's desire to have Commander Troy fired."

Meredith: "Judge Ruth B. Taney has set a date of July 23d to hear arguments on the Union's Federal lawsuit against the TCPD. Legal experts say that Judge Taney could make any number of rulings, ranging from forcing Federal arbitration of the dispute, to having it adjudicated here in our Town & County."

Catrina: "Judge Taney did refuse the Union's request to have Commander Troy suspended while the Federal suit plays out in Court, and also refused to order the TCPD to reinstate Sergeant McCombs to the Force pending resolution of the matter. Experts say that McCombs firing for racial slurs and nearly shooting an unarmed black man will likely stand up, even if the Union wins all the other points of the dispute..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So our guys are KFXU's sources?" asked Teresa after the broadcast.

"Possiblee, possiblee." I replied.

Teresa added: "KXTC didn't tell us that Judge Taney shot down suspending you and reinstating McCombs."

"No they didn't." I replied. "And that's really, really good news for us... especially her refusing to reinstate McCombs."

"For the rest of us," said Tanya, "you not being suspended is the bigger deal."

"What did she mean about the case being adjudicated locally?" Teresa asked. "I thought the lawsuit in State Superior Court was dismissed with prejudice."

I replied "My attorney Mike G. Todd said that Judge Taney had asked the TCPD to provide a brief on Boards of Inquiry, and she was told that they no longer exist. Then she asked what replaced them, and was told Boards of Inquest. She then 'invited' the Charter Commission Chairman to explain our Board of Inquest process, and I sent it to her last night."

"What is that process?" asked Teresa. "I'm asking for a friend, of course."

"Of course." I replied with a half-grin, then said seriously: "The Board of Inquest is not unlike Coroner's Inquests, but there can also be differences if someone is accused of something. The Council cannot have a Board of Inquest determine if Medal of Valor or a promotion is warranted, but it can ask the I.G. for an investigation of the situation that led to the Medal application, and he can call a Board of Inquest to investigate the incident itself.

Your Iron Crowbar: "In cases like that, there is no 'defense', just the Presiding Officer and the six-member jury, and maybe someone to present and explaining the application."

"Like Grand Juries?" Tanya asked. "No defense, just the prosecutor."

"Yes, pretty good analogy, there." I said, then went on:: "When there is an accusation, like I'm being hit with, then the Board of Inquest is more like a trial. There's a Presiding Officer, which can be a judge, there's the six-member Jury, and the Defendant has the right to legal representation and to face his or her accusers. The main difference between a Board of Inquest and a trial is that the result of the Inquest is not binding... the Jury makes its finding, and it goes to the Council or the Inspector General for further action... or not."

"I guess I'm confused about this." said Teresa. "The Jury's findings are not binding? Then why bother?"

I replied: "It's meant to get at the truth, like a Coroner's Inquest. And the legal processes of a trial aren't so strictly observed; ergo, things that would generate a mistrial on appeal in a Court trial might be allowed in an Inquest hearing. So I guess what I'm saying, but explaining badly, is that a Board of Inquest is in-between Coroner's Inquests and full trials-by-jury."

"And you did all that, rather than just revise the Boards of Inquiry?" Tanya asked.

"You betcha." I replied. "The main reason we set this up this way was to stop that NAMbLA faggot Finneran's shenanigans, and Silas's attempts to subvert the process. And we tried to do it in a way that would prevent any future shenanigans."

"You think that's what Judge Taney will do? An Inquest Board?" asked Tanya.

"It's an option for her, and potentially a good one." I replied. "It's going to depend on how much Judge Taney wants to wash her hands of the matter..."

Part 3 - Two Sides

At 11:00am, Tuesday, July 14th, Paulina Patterson asked me to come to her office at Police Headquarters. I went in and she had me sit down, then said "I've been working on the 'Jacquez 200' cases. We're going to trial next week with the first 20, who did not make Motions to Sever. They've got the worst criminal records beyond the charges filed for their involvement with Wilson that night."

"Great!" I said enthusiastically. "But that's not why you asked me to come to your office."

"Not much gets past you." Paulina said. She extended a file folder across her desk. "Here, look at this."

I took the file and opened it, and said as I perused it: "Breonna Bryant, age 21, black. University student, 3.75 GPA in Interdisciplinary Studies. Pretty solid photographs of her in the group of 200, and facial rec identified her pretty easily. Okay, what's the deal?"

Paulina said "She had no priors, not even a speeding ticket, until she was arrested on Courthouse Square during the 'Juneteenth' kettling." (Author's note: 'Consequences', Ch. 03.) "She's a model student, active in many groups at the University, and she's well-liked by her teachers and fellow students. Her parents are middle-class, no criminal record for either of them, and are active members of the A.M.E. Church."

I said "I'm looking at her University transcript and records that you included here. Very thorough on your part, I might add." Paulina smiled at the compliment, then I said "I'm seeing that she's taken a couple of courses taught by Dr. Lionel Carmela, and received 'A's. He's also sponsoring her application to Graduate School."

"Yes, I saw that." said Paulina. "But here's the issue: Miriam Walters somehow saw this file, and wants to meet with the Chief, you, and me over it this afternoon..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:30pm, Tuesday, July 14th. District Attorney Miriam Walters was escorted by the Duty Desk Patrolman to the Chief's Conference Room. Waiting for her was Chief Moynahan, sitting at the near end of the table like he always did. To his left, facing the door, was me, Your Iron Crowbar. To my left was Deputy Chief Cindy Ross, who was invited by the Chief at Walters's request. ADA Paulina Patterson was across from Cindy. Miriam Walters was invited to sit in the empty seat to the Chief's right and Paulina's left, and she did so.

"So what did you want to talk about, Mizzz Walterzzzz?" asked the Chief.

Miriam said "I understand that one of the 'Jacquez 200' cases involves a young woman who has no priors before the Block House night."

I said "Before we discuss that... tell me about the 20 cases going to trial next week."

Miriam looked confused. "What do you mean?"

I said "Just what I asked: tell me about those cases."

Miriam said "What does that have to do with anything? I'm talking about Breonna Bryant---"

I held up my hand and interrupted her. "Okay, I don't have time to play your circle-around word games, trying to avoid answering my question. So I'll be a lot more direct: you don't even know about those 20, do you?"

Miriam said "Again, what does that have to do----"

"How do you know about the Breonna Bryant case, but not the others?" I all but yelled. "Are you birddogging Paulina, in violation of your agreement with her?"

"No I'm not." said Miriam. "Not that it's any of your business."

I said "I told you before that you crossed the line, and that it's personal and not professional with me anymore. And nothing's changed there. Once again: where did you hear about the Breonna Bryant case among all of these 200 cases?"

Paulina was catching on, and her face was beginning to show anger. Miriam already looked angry... at me.

"I bee-lieeeeve," said the Chief, "that the Iron Crowbar has asked a very legitimate question, herrrrrre."

Miriam said "All right. I got a call from KXTC, asking about it, so I looked it up."

"Who specifically at KXTC?" I asked, my eyes boring into Miriam. She did not answer, and the silence became awk-wrrrrd.

"Ms. Walters," Cindy interjected, "it really would be a good idea if you don't lie to the Iron Crowbar. Be honest with us."

Miriam's eyes changed to a look of resignation. "Okay, it was Burt West that called and asked. He's starting up a podcast, and is doing a story on Breonna Bryant's arrest, and what he calls her 'persecution' in being charged with first degree murder for just participating in a demonstration. His words, not mine."

"And what is your position on the case?" asked the Chief.

Miriam said "I've never been a strong proponent of charging them with felony murder, a.k.a. murder in the commission of a felony, in the first place. It's going to be brutally hard to win those cases, and expensive to try them, and I do have to look at the overall expenditures. But I did agree to let Paulina prosecute those cases as she saw fit, and to this point I've let her."

Miriam continued: "The problem now, is optics. If Burt West knows about this case, and is already trying to define it as 'persecution', you know that the rest of the Media will be on it like vultures on a dying carcass. So I wanted to discuss with all of you the idea of letting that one go, and strongly prosecuting much more favorable cases."