All Comments on 'The Worm Digger and I'

by IntergenerationalLover

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
sealandssdsealandssd11 months ago

What happened to Ken? Is he too close to your real identity?

IntergenerationalLoverIntergenerationalLover11 months agoAuthor

Wow! You've hit the nail on the head!

My character Ken, shows up in most of my stories--though he's never the same person. Each story has its own Ken. The same way goes with Carl or Carlos. In this story, Carlito, as Bob lovingly calls Carlos.

I believe that as a writer, I build my characters based on my own background, worldview, experiences, etc.

Having grown up in a small town in Brazil, I try to revisit it, and give vent to a fantasy that could have happened but didn't, because of intolerance or prejudice--against gays. It's like telling a fairy tale to young dreamy boys, and giving them role models. As a kid and teen I used the traditional fairy tales, soap operas, movies, and in my fantasy, gave them a twist! This is what makes up the world of Ken, Carl, or Carlos.

sealandssdsealandssd11 months ago

Hi author, I know all 'Kens' In your previous articles are not same person, but my hypothesis is that you build all these 'Kens' from the same base. If you didn't change the name, which means Carlito is different from Ken in your head. So maybe Carlito have a different type? I am just curious.

IntergenerationalLoverIntergenerationalLover11 months agoAuthor

Dear sealandssd, you're right when you point that Ken and Carl are distinct characters.

When I started writing, years ago, I used the name Carl for my protagonists. As my own name is Carlos, I adapted it to Carl--also to indicate a break and move back to Brazil. I wanted to keep my identity from someone from abroad. So, in my early stories I still use North American themes and setting.

Ken, which for me is the nickname for Kenji, is a more fluid character. He can be Japanese, Brazilian, North American. His identity however, is more Brazilian. He is closer to my childhood--I guess I could say that.

Like I said earlier, my characters share my worldview. I try not to move away too much from that provincial, innocent, naive upbringing. Surely this character would have to adapt to modern times, and new ethical values, or maybe not. Again, thanks for your comments!

sealandssdsealandssd11 months ago

Hi author, thanks for the reply. I somehow feel linked to your characters. Again, thank you for patience and understanding.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

A sweet and lovely story - or fairy tale - full of charm and laced through with the "feel-good" factor.

It is always a pleasure to come across a story of love in the most unlikely of situations and I enjoyed it from first word to last.

Thanks for your time and creativity and for sharing this work.

IntergenerationalLoverIntergenerationalLover9 months agoAuthor

Thanks for reading my story and taking your time to give me your feedback!

In this story, I wanted to contrast two different worlds, how their culture clashed, and what each character had in common. It was fun writing it--though both worlds depicted in the story were harsh, difficult, and sad. In spite of the gloom, hardship, loneliness, they manage to find each other for support and love. I guess that's what fairy tales are for: to comfort, makes us dream/hope of/for a better world:)

IntergenerationalLoverIntergenerationalLover9 months agoAuthor

Thanks for taking your time to read my story and post your feedback!

It was fun writing this story. The topic was a bit hard, for the characters live in harsh and difficult environment. Both characters had hardships in their lives, dreams, and feelings. Though their worlds, culture, world view differed, their lives ended up converging. I like to think their love is possible--just like any fairy tales. This is what makes me write, I guess. To make love possible in all circumstances:)

RobineaRobinea25 days ago

This is the first of your stories I've read and I found every moment wonderful. Very well crafted throughout.

A great example of how we should live our lives. Believe in yourself, follow your gut instincts and dreams and never doubt yourself. We only have one life and it's up to us to make the most of every day.

I look forward to reading more of your stories. Thank you.

IntergenerationalLoverIntergenerationalLover23 days agoAuthor

Thanks! It was kind of you to give me your feedback to my story.

The topic was controversial, but still, I tried to make it into a modern fairy tale.

I totally agree with you that one needs to follow his/her gut instincts, be kind, and spread love. This way, one can grow and become a better person, and make a difference in the world--or to the person next to him/her.

Enjoy the other stories!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous