Their Secret Pasts

Story Info
What happens when Jess and Richard meet in an airport lounge.
32.8k words
4.8
13.3k
40
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Their Secret Pasts

Thanks for tuning in once again. This is a relatively slow burn, so please be patient. There are places and events named in the story only to give those places and events names - the rest of the story is pure fiction coming from the deep recesses of my mind. As always, votes and constructive comments are welcome. Thanks for reading.

Jessica Ross sat in the office she had been in numerous times over the years. Situated in a non-descript office building in Southern California, it was the well-appointed office of her manager/agent Doug Jones.

"Are you sure about this, Jess? Doing something like this, at this point in your career, just might derail everything you've worked for up to now."

"Yes, Doug, I'm sure. I haven't had a real vacation since I started working out here 15 years ago. I know I had that one disastrous weekend in Vegas, but I'm not counting that, considering the outcome. I've worked very hard to get to where I'm at today, and I don't think my taking some time off will hurt. Besides, you've got two films ready to release, not counting the one we finished yesterday. I think that will hold the interest of my fans for at least a little while, don't you?"

"Sure, but what about your contract?"

"My contract was fulfilled yesterday when the shoot wrapped. I'm still waiting on my manager to get the studio to agree on a new one."

Smiling, Jessica patted the seat next to her on the couch, and Doug joined her.

"Doug, you know how much I appreciate everything you and Bobbie have done for me over the years. I'll never forget how you saved me and helped me have the life I have today. But I've changed; I've grown up, and I can't keep doing the same stuff over and over. I've got my degrees from UCLA, and I want to put them to use. I've already had four of my stories published, and two of them have options to be turned into movies. That's what I want to spend more time on - my writing. But it's difficult to write about things when I've never been anywhere other than here for my entire adult life."

"Well, you did have that month in Hawaii, don't forget."

"True, but even that turned from vacation to work. The movie was beautiful, and I had a fun time doing it, but it was something I hadn't planned on.

"Doug, I want to see the world. I need to see the world. I need to experience life as an adult, on my own, exploring places I've only read about. I know you and Bobbie worry about me, but I'll be fine. It's just for a couple of months, and then I'll be back, ready to go. Please don't fight me on this, Doug, because this is something I have to do. On my own, without you hovering around me. Ok?"

Sensing defeat, Doug gave his friend and favorite client a hug.

"So when do you leave?"

"Friday morning. Bobbie is going to keep an eye on my place, and is moving my plants to your house, even as we speak."

"Just promise you'll keep in touch, ok?"

"I promise to send you postcards everywhere I go. Thanks..."

While Jessica was talking to her manager in California, Richard Baker was having the same discussion with his manager in Miami. They had been going over the terms of his proposed new contract when he told her of his plans.

"Sophia, I've mentioned several times over the past year how much I wanted to get away for a while; to take a real vacation and take time for myself. With the studio's indecisiveness, this is the time for me to go."

"But for several months? And to Europe? Why there?"

"Because it's someplace I've always wanted to explore. The historical aspects fascinate me, and I'll be able to just be me, not my on-screen persona."

"But people love who you are on-screen. Especially your female fans."

"I know, but I can't keep doing this forever, so this might be a good time for me to re-evaluate where I want to go in the future. My short films have done really well in the indie markets, and I'm getting to an age where I just can't keep up with the younger actors. Don't get me wrong - I love what I do, and it's been a wild, fun ride for 20 years. But I am pushing middle age, and you don't see many middle-aged people do what I do. At least not very well. And I want to be in control of how I make my final exit from the screen. Please tell me you understand."

Sophia smiled at her favorite client and sat next to him on the sofa, giving him a hug.

"You know I do. You've been my favorite person to work with ever, and it weren't for the fact that I'm happily married to the man of my dreams, I would've made a play for you years ago. But seriously, if this is what you want, then I'll do my best to make it happen. Go explore the Continent, gather all the history you can, eat the wonderful food and drink the exquisite wine, and have a amazing time. But be sure to come back to us. I don't want to lose you to some exotic blonde from Sweden - at least without meeting her first. Go - have fun. Just be sure to send me a postcard once in a while so I know you're still alive. And I promise to keep an eye on your place and keep your plants alive."

"Thanks, Sophia - you're the best."

Three days later, Richard was seated in the Executive Lounge at JFK in New York, killing time before his flight. One of the bartenders, Gabe, brought him a fresh drink.

"So, off to London again, Mr. Baker?"

"Yes I am, but this time it's for a vacation and not business. And I'm probably going to spend several months in Europe, seeing the sights."

"Sounds nice. Maybe someday I'll be able to do something like that. Right now I feel lucky if I get a weekend off."

Sharing a laugh, Gabe went off to help other guests while Richard sipped his drink and nibbled at his appetizers. He happened to look up when someone new entered the lounge, and he was interested in what he saw. A young lady, early 30s in his guesstimate, stepped in and began to look around for someplace to sit. She was tall with long blonde hair pulled back into a ponytail, wearing a white blouse, navy blue blazer, and dark jeans. Casual, but very appropriate for plane travel.

At the same time, Gabe spotted the woman searching for a seat. He caught her attention and waved her over to an open seat near Richard.

"Sorry for the lack of seating. This is a busy time of day. But over here should be ok."

Thanking him, the woman stepped over to the open seat and made eye contact with Richard. He smiled at her and stood, inviting her to join him.

"I promise I don't bite, and I can guarantee I am far safer than most of the businessmen in here right now. Please join me - my name is Richard."

The woman hesitated for a moment, then smiled and shook his hand.

"Thanks for the invite. I'm Jessica. But I have to say, that was either a sincere statement or one of the worst pick-up lines in the history of pick-up lines."

Smiling as she spoke, Jessica sat at the comfortable bar stool, her carry-on bag next to her and her purse on her lap. As she sat she kept looking around the room.

"Are you looking for someone?"

"No. I've never been in an airport lounge before. I checked this one out on line this morning, and it has more character than I thought it would."

"Yeah, the airlines have done lots of upgrades to these to make them more upscale. They mostly cater to the business traveler, but people like me get to take advantage of them."

"So I take it you're not a businessman?"

"Well, in a way I am, but not today. Today I'm just someone looking forward to a long vacation, away from business... it's been a long time since my last vacation. What about you?"

"I'm pretty much the same... just wanting to get away for awhile. I've never really been anywhere, so I'm looking forward to spending time getting lost in places I've only read about."

The two shared a small, understanding smile when Gabe stepped up.

"Hello. My name's Gabe. What can I get you?"

"Hello, Gabe. I'm Jessica, and I'd love a gin and tonic, please."

"Coming right up. Appetizers are on the tables by the windows, so help yourself. And if you have any questions, I'm sure Richard will be able to answer them for you."

After Gabe stepped away to get her drink, Jessica looked questioningly at Richard.

"So you have all the answers for me? I thought you didn't travel much?"

"No, I never said that. I do travel, but for business. I've been to London numerous times over the years, and always stop in here before my flight. Gabe is an excellent bartender and very interesting to talk to. So, do you have any questions you'd like to ask? Apparently, I have all the answers."

Jessica laughed, and Richard instantly fell in love with the sound.

"I do, but I'll save them for later. Right now I just want to get myself ready for a long flight."

"Where are you headed?"

"For starters - London, for two weeks. Then I want to take my time and explore Great Britain, especially Scotland. I have distant relatives there, so I'm going to try to find some. My itinerary is very open, as I only have reservations for the first two weeks. From then on, who knows."

"Sounds like quite the adventure. It's always fun looking for your roots, especially if you can find someone who knows the history of your family."

"True. I do have several names and towns to look up; I only hope they're still there, seeing as how my information is several years old. And if not, I still plan to have a fun time travelling Europe."

Jessica and Richard spent the next several hours talking, finding out a little more about each other. Their conversations went many different directions, but never too personal. Finally, Richard looked at his watch and realized he needed to start for his gate.

"So Jessica, what flight are you on?"

"I'm on United's 9:00 flight to Heathrow. What about you?"

"You're not going to believe this, but I'm on the same flight. Where's your seat?"

"I wanted to get a window seat, but I guess I won't see much until we are almost landing. I'm sitting in first class, seat 3A."

Hearing that news, Richard almost laughed. He did smile at Jessica when he pulled his boarding pass from his pocket and showed it to her.

"What? 3C? We're sitting next to each other? I can't believe it. What a coincidence."

"Indeed it is. But we better get going - I hate getting to the gate at the last minute, even if I do sit in first class. Shall we?"

"Ok, but I have to ask... where are you staying in London? The way things are going, I'm betting you're going to be at the same place as me. So at the count of three, say the name of your hotel. One...two...three..."

Smiling at each other, they named their hotel at the same time.

"The Savoy."

Breaking into laughter, they began to gather their belongings.

"Somehow I just knew your answer. I'm really looking forward to talking with you more on the plane, Richard."

Saying goodbye to Gabe, Richard left him a nice tip.

"Don't worry about his tip. I left enough for both of us."

Talking as they walked through the terminal, the couple were soon at their gate in plenty of time. Even though the gate was crowded Richard found two seats together.

"We're boarding soon, but I need to make one call before we do. Will you watch my bags, Jessica?"

"I'll stay right here. But you better hurry - I see people getting in line to board."

Nodding his head, Richard grabbed his phone and punched in several numbers. Jessica watched as he stepped away, really looking at him for the first time. He was tall, several inches over six feet was her guess; his dark brown hair had tinges of gray, and he looked extremely fit. But what got her attention most was his eyes - a combination of gray/blue that seemed to look into her very soul. She guessed he was several years older than her 33 years of age, and she was fascinated by his depth of knowledge in so many areas. She was really looking forward to getting to know him better.

Soon the gate agent made the call for first class passengers to board, and just then, Richard returned. He grabbed his carry-on and let Jessica lead the way to the boarding gate. Before long they were settling into their seats when a flight attendant came up to them. She greeted Richard by name, warmly welcomed Jessica onto the flight, and took their drink order. Once she stepped away to help other passengers, Jessica looked at Richard with a questioning look.

"So, how does this work? You said you don't travel much, yet the bartender knows you by your first name, as does the gate agent and the flight attendant."

"No, I said I don't travel much for pleasure. I often take this same flight to London, sometimes two or three time a month - and it's strictly for business. After a while, you get to know the people on these flights. And the people on this one do their jobs better than anyone else."

" Ok, so now that I know you're an expert, what's the best way to approach this so I don't get floored by jet lag?"

"Some people, as soon as they board, take a sleeping pill and sleep their way across the Atlantic, and are ready to go once they land. Others stay awake the entire way and once they get to their hotel, take a nap. I prefer a different approach.

"I normally get a drink now and have a glass of wine with dinner. I usually watch a movie while I eat, and once done, I try to get a few hours of sleep. I'm not good at sleeping on a plane, so I mostly doze. Once I get to London, I check into my hotel, take a shower and change clothes, and then head out to do something. With my business trips I usually have a meeting that lasts through the afternoon and into the evening. Then I head to the hotel and sleep all night, waking in the morning when I normally do. And most of the time, I have no problems with jet lag."

"Well, if that works for you, then I guess I'll do the same. So what would you recommend for dinner?"

Several hours later, the cabin lights were dimmed and the dinner service had been cleared away. Jessica was asleep, with a slight smile on her face, still holding Richard's hand. She had held it during take-off, and grabbed it again when the plane hit a bit of turbulence. Every so often she would gently squeeze his hand, as if making sure he was still there. And as Richard looked at her, he realized he could easily fall for this beautiful young woman sitting next to him. He was totally unprepared for these feelings, as he hadn't been seriously involved with anyone for a number of years. Ever since his last disaster of a girl friend had screwed him over, he had kept to himself, immersing himself in his work. And here was this beautiful creature that just dropped into his life by chance. He smiled and thanked whichever god of fate helped him out with this.

Just before he dozed off he glanced once more at Jessica and noticed something out the window. Shaking his sleeping companion gently, Jessica woke with a start.

"What, is something wrong?"

"No. Look out the window."

Looking out the window, Jessica gasped at the sight.

"Yeah, not much beats seeing the Northern Lights at 35,000 feet."

"I've never seen them live before. They're so beautiful. And they keep changing colors. Wow."

After watching for several minutes, the plane eventually flew beyond their sight. Jessica turned in her seat and gave Richard a soft kiss.

"Thanks for waking me up. That was a breathtaking."

"You're welcome. I've seen them several times in the past, but tonight was something special."

"Special in what way?"

"Because I got to share them with you."

*****

Hours later they were landing in London. After fighting the crowds at Customs and the luggage carousels, Richard led Jessica toward the terminal exit.

"Will we take a taxi to the hotel? I've always wanted to ride in a famous London taxi."

"Not today. The fare from here to the hotel is expensive, and I've already taken care of our ride. Follow me."

Soon they entered an area filled with people holding signs with names on them. Seeing his name, Richard pulled Jessica along with him. As he approached his name, the woman holding the sign smiled broadly at Richard.

"Mr. Baker. Welcome back. Good to see you."

"Good morning, Anna. Good to be back. This is Ms. Ross, and she'll be joining us in the car."

"Certainly. Good morning, Ms. Ross. Please follow me."

Following Anna, they soon were sitting in a plush limousine, heading into the city.

"Your own limo driver? You are certainly full of surprises, Mr. Baker."

"Just my way of trying to impress you, Ms. Ross. Anna's really not mine, but she works for the company I use whenever I'm in town. The good part is, she'll be on call to take us wherever we want to go while in town. Don't worry - I'll be sure to get you into a taxi once or twice. Now if I remember correctly, there should be coffee, tea and pastries back here. So sit back and enjoy the ride."

After battling the heavier than usual traffic, Anna pulled up to the Savoy. Before Jessica could move, a doorman was opening her door and helping her out. A bellman appeared and took their luggage inside while Richard spoke with Anna. Then they were stepping into the lobby, arm in arm, and crossed up to the front desk.

"Good morning, Mr. Baker. Welcome back. I trust your flights went well?"

"Good morning to you, Justin. Yes, the flights were fine. We even got to see the Northern Lights for quite a while. And yes, it's good to be back, and this time for holiday, and not business."

"Very good. We've got you in your usual room - 1017. And as per your phone call, we've made the changes you asked for."

"Wonderful. This is Ms. Ross, and she is checking in as well."

"Very nice to meet you, Ms. Ross. Is this your first visit to London?"

"Yes it is. And I have to say, so far I've been very impressed."

"That's good to hear. So all I need, Ms. Ross, is your signature on this line, and you'll be ready to head to your rooms. They're ready whenever you are."

"Excuse me, but there seems to be a mistake. This isn't the room I reserved."

Justin gave Richard a worried look.

"Jessica, I hope you don't mind, but I did something without asking. I've got more airline points than I know what to do with, so I asked Justin to upgrade your room. Now don't get me wrong - all the rooms here are magnificent. I just thought that for your first time here to give you a bit more plush. I hope that's ok with you."

"And it says my room is 1015. Does that mean we have adjoining rooms?"

"Yes it does. And again, I hope you don't mind. My thought was that if we're going to spend time together, we might as well have our rooms close together too. And if you don't want that, I'm sure Justin can make a change."

Jessica paused for several long moments, with a stern look on her face, watching Richard wait in agony. Then she smiled, and gave him a quick kiss on his cheek.

"That all sounds wonderful. Thank you."

Moments later, keys in hand, they headed for the elevators and their rooms. Reaching the 10th floor they stopped first at Richard's door to drop off his luggage. Steps away was Jessica's room. Richard tipped the bellman, and Jessica as opened the door she gasped at the sight.

"Oh my god, Richard, this is beautiful. Is your room like this as well?"

"Yes, only set up a bit differently."

He closed the door as Jessica walked through the room, looking out the window, checking out the bathroom, and flopping onto the comfortable bed.

"Ohh, I may never get up from here. This is so comfortable. Wake me next week!"

Laughing at her, Richard sat next to Jessica, reveling in the fact she was so happy.

"If you stay there too long, I really won't be able to get you up. How about we take about an hour to unpack, shower, and change clothes. Then we can start on our excursions through London."

"Spoil sport. I was just getting used to laying here. But if I must, I must. Ok, one hour...or so, and I'll be knocking on the adjoining door. Now please help me up before I fall asleep."

123456...9