Tomorrow is Promised Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After lunch, the interviews went much better. The third and fourth candidates breezed through the questions we asked them. After each interview, I polled the group. As a group, we decided that the two candidates were acceptable, so they were designated for further consideration.

Finally, the last candidate came into the room. I had been looking forward to this interview because of what I had seen in her resume. She was the only female candidate and the youngest of the group. I was not disappointed.

As she entered, I first noticed her incredible sapphire blue eyes. The second thing I noticed was that she was absolutely beautiful. The third thing I noticed was her poise. She walked into the room and took command as if she owned it and was just allowing us mere mortals to bask in her presence. Her gaze swept the room and settled on me, the intensity almost making me swoon. It was like a physical blow when we locked eyes. My chest tightened as the world went away, and all that existed were those sapphire blue pools that I would gladly drown in. I could not believe the effect this woman was having on me. My heart clenched, and my palms started sweating. My nipples tightened, and I felt some heat below.

"Hello, I'm Virginia Hanratty," she said as my senses returned to me, and I could objectively look at her. Her voice had a raspy, smoky edge, reminding me of Melissa Etheridge.

She wore a lovely navy blue pencil skirt that hugged her figure, emphasizing her ass. She wore a conservative navy blue blazer over a white button-down blouse that emphasized her bust. She was about 5' 2" in height, wearing 3" heels. She stood there looking comfortable despite five pairs of eyes locked on her every movement.

"Good afternoon, Virginia," I said as I tore my gaze from her and looked at the rest of the group. All of them were focused on Virginia as a starving person would look at a bowl of beef stew. I looked back at Virginia, motioned to the chair in front of us, and said, "Please, Virginia, have a seat. We'd like to spend the next hour going over your qualifications and asking you questions about the position you've applied for."

The interview lasted an hour, although it was clear after the first five minutes that we were unanimous in thinking we had our new configuration manager. John was sitting up straight in his chair, having been slouched through the other four interviews. Sally sat there, and I could tell she was impressed with Virginia's knowledge. Becky looked like she had found the one she'd go up against the gates of Hell with. Tom, frankly, was drooling over Virginia. If Virginia had said that configuration management was a tool of Satan, and she needed to sacrifice Tom, he would have nodded in agreement.

I was continually scanning her from top to bottom, trying to figure out why she was having such an effect on me. She just sat there calmly fielding our questions and answering them with such ease that it was evident that she was the expert in the room. As I watched her lips move when she talked, I wondered what they would feel like on mine. I know she was checking me out, returning her gaze to me whenever she wasn't answering someone's direct question. I caught her eyeing my breasts when I reached over to give John a piece of paper he had requested. I could feel the heat of her gaze, and my nipples tightened from the sensation.

Twice, she shifted and recrossed her legs. Both times my eyes were immediately drawn to her legs, admiring their beauty and how gracefully she crossed her legs. I sat there wondering what it would feel like to run my hands over those shapely calves as I nuzzled the inside of her ankle. I was pretty sure Virginia was aware of my interest as the corner of her mouth would twitch each time my gaze dwelt on her legs.

Despite my unreasonable interest in her legs, I was still skeptical about why Virginia was here. "Why is Virginia applying for the position since she was obviously overqualified?" I asked myself as Virginia wrapped up the answer to our last planned question for her.

I just went ahead and verbalized my concern as I asked, "Virginia, it is obvious that you are more than qualified for the position. If we were to give you the position, what assurances do we have that you won't be jumping into a better position you're qualified for and leave us in the lurch?"

Virginia thought about it for a minute before answering. I saw several emotions flit over her face as she pondered how to answer the question. Finally, she said, "Earlier in my life, you'd be right to worry about my ability to make and keep a commitment. I have learned the hard way that commitment means something. At this stage in my life, I am willing to make and keep commitments, regardless of other enticements." As she finished, I saw a haunted look flash over her face for just a moment, and at that moment, my heart went out to her.

With that said, our interview came to a close. I told Virginia that we'd get back to her shortly if she were the one selected to fill the position. She thanked us for taking the time to talk to her, flashed me a smile that made my insides melt, and walked out of the room, five pairs of eyes following her. I loved how her ass moved in that skirt. As soon as the door closed, we looked at each other, and I asked, "Do we really need to take any time to make a decision?"

They all shook their heads. Sally said, "As far as I'm concerned, Virginia is the obvious choice."

I asked the others, "Any disagreement?"

"No." "Nope." "No." Becky, Tom, and John replied nearly simultaneously.

"I agree," I said. "Let's finish up the paperwork so I can get it over to HR. We better snap her up before somebody else does." With that, we quickly finished the HR forms and signed them. I would walk them up to HR as soon as we wrapped up the meeting and insist they make an immediate offer.

Walking back to my desk after dropping the paperwork off at HR, I recalled what Alex had told me about a Virginia that was a former Air Force officer. Alex hadn't mentioned her last name or rank, so I just shrugged it off as a coincidence, although the haunted look I saw on her face at the end of the interview made me wonder.

As I left to go home that night, I thought about Virginia and the effect that she had had on me today. I thought about those sapphire blue eyes and why they made me feel like I did. I didn't realize it then, but the decision to hire Virginia would change my life forever.

The story of Virginia and Judy is continued in "Promises Made and Promises Kept."