Tragedy and Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I got up early and got in my two-mile run. I showered again and headed to work. I had a productive morning and was ready for lunch. Mary, one of the other female attorneys, called me over to talk. She had been with the firm a few years longer than me, and we had become acquaintances. She commented on the good job I was doing and asked about my background.

I told her I was from Charlotte, where I had gone to school, and about my move to Atlanta. I told her how much I enjoyed working at the firm.

She said, "My husband and I are having a little get-together this weekend. We would love for you and your husband to come join us." I immediately felt my face flush and looked down. I had not told anyone what had happened.

She sensed there was something wrong and said, "I am sorry if I said something inappropriate. I noticed you wore a wedding band, so I assumed you were married."

"I...I am...I was," I stammered. I felt tears well up in my eyes. "I am sorry," I told her. "It is a difficult thing for me." It had been nearly two years, and I still cried when I thought of the accident.

She asked if I wanted to talk. I nodded yes, and we moved into her office. I grabbed the tissues from her desk as she closed the door. "I was married, for less than one day," I said. I went on and told her most of the details. Pretty soon she also had tears in her eyes.

It was hard for me to share, and I ask her to not tell anyone. Even though it was a difficult conversation, I felt better after talking to her. We hugged when I left her office. We were both still wiping our eye.

"We would still love for you to join us on Saturday," she said. "Let me get back to you. I haven't been out since the accident," I answered. "It might be good for you," she said with a smile.

Shortly after two o'clock, I got a call from Sue, the captain of my ALTA team, asking me if I could play on Saturday morning. She said after seeing me at practice, she thought I could help the team.

I told her I was free and asked her who my partner would be. I secretly hoped it wasn't either Tony or Gerald who had been at practice.

She told me that his name was Kyle and that he had not been at practice on Wednesday. She said she thought I would enjoy playing with him. She added that she and her partner, who also had not been at practice, were going to get together that evening for a practice session and wanted to know if I would be interested in joining them. She said if I could, she would get in touch with Kyle and ask if he could join us. She said that it would be good for us to practice together before the match

I told her that would be good, just to call me back and let me know if he would be there. About an hour later, she called me and said that we were all going to meet at 7:00, and she had already made court reservations. I said that would be great. After work, I ran by the apartment and ate a quick snack. I changed into my tennis clothes, grabbed my tennis bag with my rackets, towels, and a change of clothes, and headed to the courts. I stopped at a convenience store and grabbed a big bottle of Gatorade. I was wearing a pair of tennis shorts and a Nike t-shirt pulled over a sports bra.

Him

I got to the courts and started stretching. Sue, and her partner Jack, showed up and said that Kyle would be there shortly. He had been at work when she called him, and he told her that he would have to run home and grab his gear. We were already warming up when he arrived.

I introduced myself to him, and we both looked at each other and started smiling. He was at least 6'7". We were both so much taller than the others. We looked like two redwoods compared to the Sue and Jack. Kyle said, "I can tell you now that no one is going to be lobbing over either one of us."

He was athletic. He shaved his head, which a lot of black guys do. He was lean and looked fast and agile. I learned later that he had been on a basketball scholarship at Florida State University. He was a few years older than me at 30 and had an easy-going smile. This was going to be fun. We warmed up against Sue and Jack. Sue was pretty good, but I knew I could beat her. I watched Kyle out of the corner of my eye and could see he had some skills. We started hitting serves to each other; I knew after watching him hit a few of his serves that there was no way we were going to lose.

Being so tall, Kyle's serves were missiles. We moved to the net and practiced volleys. Jack was hitting as hard as he could right at me. I moved and volleyed them all back. Kyle looked at me and said, "Nice hands!"

We practiced and played for about an hour. Not wanting to embarrass the captain, we kept it close. We finished and sat around for a few minutes afterwards.

I grabbed my Gatorade and drank half of it. Kyle looked like he was thirsty, so I offered him the rest. He said that would be great but didn't want to finish all of my drink. I told him to go ahead, I was done. He took it and swallowed it in one gulp. He looked at me and said, "I hope you don't have cooties!" I liked his smile.

Sue and Jack wanted to know if we wanted to grab a quick bite to eat. I had not eaten dinner and told them that would be great. Kyle said that he would like to join us too. Sue recommended a little restaurant near the courts.

I went over to my car and grabbed a clean shirt out of my tennis bag. I did not want to go to the restaurant in a wet shirt. I pulled the wet t-shirt over my head just as Kyle walked by. He smiled at me and asked if I stripped after every practice. I felt myself blush as I pulled on my dry shirt. He laughed and said, "I can already tell I am going to enjoy playing with you."

We got to the restaurant and all walked in. It was an upscale Mexican restaurant. We sat at a big table, and Sue ordered a queso and chips. Tony ordered a pitcher of margaritas for the table, but I told him I only wanted a Diet Coke. I had not had any alcohol since the accident.

We all talked, and I asked Kyle about his tennis. I told him that I had not met many black tennis players. He asked loudly, "What are you doing? Are you profiling? Just because I am black doesn't mean I cannot play tennis!" He started laughing as I blushed. He lowered his voice and said that he had started playing tennis in high school to help with his agility for basketball. We finished eating and got up to leave. I asked Sue what the wardrobe was for matches. She said that most of the ladies wore a tennis skirt. I told Kyle, "Be sure to wear your tennis skirt!"

He looked at me and said, "You are just jealous because I have better legs!" I already liked this guy.

I got home that evening and got ready for bed. I dug through my closet and found a Carolina blue tennis skirt and a white tennis halter-top. I got a black sports bra that was made to go with the halter-top and black matching tennis panties and placed everything on a chair in my bedroom. I was excited about the match in the morning.

I got up early and did my run even though I had a tennis match at ten. I got back and took a quick shower and got dressed. I pulled my hair into a long ponytail and pulled on a visor. I looked into the mirror and thought to myself, "I look like Maria Sharapova." I grabbed my gear and pulled on a tennis jacket as I ran out the door.

I got to the tennis courts where we were playing a little early since it was my first match, and I did not want to be late. Kyle showed up a few minutes later. We were in a pretty exclusive area where the community had their own tennis courts

Sue showed up and told us that we were playing the five-line. There are five lines in a match with the best supposedly at number one and then on down. She told us both that we were better than some of the others, but since it was my first match, I should not play any higher. I understood.

The community had four courts so only four lines could play at one time. The five-line would have to play after one of the other teams finished. Sue explained that the first team with three wins won the match, but each win was important since it was a cumulative total for the season.

Kyle and I went to the clubhouse, so we could watch our team play. The clubhouse was elevated above the courts, so you could see them all. Kyle and I cheered as our team played and talked strategy. I was impressed by his tennis knowledge and by the fact he respected my game.

A nice couple came over and said they were the five-line for the other team. They introduced themselves as Emily and John and were married and lived in the community. They were a few years older than us and seemed very friendly. They sat beside us as we watched the different matches. All the matches were close. Our three-line lost, so it opened a court for us to play. I quickly went to the restroom before heading out to the court. When I got back to where my bag was sitting, I grabbed it and headed to the open court. I overheard one of the property owners ask, "Who in the hell is that tall, black guy? I would hate to be playing against him."

I smiled and said to myself, "You ought to be worried about the tall, white girl!"

I walked out and started warming up with Emily. She was playing backhand on her team, and I was on ours. We started at the baseline and hit groundstrokes. Emily was okay, but I could see that she did not move that well. John had some good strokes, but I could tell I could hold my own with him. Kyle looked strong.

We flipped a coin, and they won the serve. John started serving against Kyle. Kyle returned the serve with a nice, deep return. I moved to the net to cover. John tried to hit it down my alley, but I moved and volleyed behind Emily for the point. John served to me and was expecting a weak reply. He went to my backhand, and I cracked a sharp crosscourt winner. I could hear some cheers from our teammates that had already finished and stayed to watch us.

During the changeover, I went over to the bench and took off my jacket to serve. We were already ahead three games to zero. Kyle looked over towards me with that sweet smile and said, "Damn! How am I supposed to focus with you looking like that?"

I smiled at him and told him to keep his eyes on the ball! It flattered me knowing he was flirting. "I will do my best," he answered, "but it won't be easy."

Our two and three lines lost, but one and four won. Our match would decide which team won. There was a lot of cheering for both sides from the people watching from the clubhouse.

I went to serve and hit a hard, flat ball on the centerline to ace John. I hit a wide slice to Emily that she could not reach. We went on to win the match 6-0, 6-1. When we won our match, we shook hands with the two of them, and they invited us up to the clubhouse. They were genuine and offered us a drink. I stuck with my Diet Coke. Kyle got a beer. We all sat down, and John said, "You guys really took us to the woodshed today."

Kyle told them that we were just lucky. Emily said, "Amelia is the best player I have ever played against."

Before I could answer, Kyle said, "I am a lucky to have her as a partner." I looked at him and smiled. Emily looked at my wedding band and at Kyle. When the guys got up to get another drink, she asked me how long Kyle and I had been married. I was able to smile at her and tell her that I was not married to Kyle.

She whispered to me, "How does your husband feel about you playing with him? I don't think John would let me play with another guy, especially, well...you know."

I wasn't ready for that question. I looked at her and told her that my husband had died. I also told her that Kyle was a great guy, and that I was lucky to have him as a partner. I had really not thought that anyone would think anything about the two of us playing together.

Kyle was walking back and overheard most of the conversation between Emily and me although he did not let on that he was listening. We stayed a few more minutes before we all got up to leave.

Walking out, Kyle followed me and said that he heard what Emily had asked me. He said that he was glad I was his partner. He added, "I know some folks might not be too happy with the two of us playing together." I told him I was also glad to be his partner. We smiled at each other, and he kissed my cheek. I felt my skin flush as he walked away. It was the first time a man had kissed me in nearly two years.

I called Mary and asked her if the invitation to come over was still good. She said yes and had hoped that I would come. Even though I was going to be the third wheel, it was better than spending another Saturday night alone.

I ran home after the match and changed. I wore a pair of jeans and a grey, soft pullover sweatshirt tunic I had gotten at The Gap. It was nice to get out of the apartment.

I knocked on their door, and Mary welcomed me into their condo. She introduced me to her husband Fontaine. He was a handsome black man who was a little taller than me. He was friendly and made me feel welcome.

They had a very nice place with a great view of downtown. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of place Mike and I would have by now if he were still alive.

The three of us sat in the living room. Mary offered me a glass of wine, and for the first time in nearly two years, I allowed myself the pleasure of a glass.

Fontaine grilled a wonderful salmon that Mary served with asparagus and a salad. We sat around the table, and I asked how they met. Mary looked at Fontaine and smiled. "I fell in love with him at first sight. I was working out at the gym and this big fella comes lumbering in and throwing weights around like they were feathers," she said.

He laughed out loud and said, "Well, that is her story. I remember going into the gym and seeing this beautiful woman on an elliptical machine. I sneaked behind her, so I could watch her cute ass while she was doing her workout. I enjoyed the view so much, I walked up to her and asked her for a date right on the spot!" I could see Mary smile at him.

I told them about playing tennis with Kyle and what Emily had asked me. I asked them if race had ever been an issue with them. Fontaine answered, "Yes, sometimes. There are all kinds of racist out there. Most of them just stare and don't say anything. My response is to pull Mary closer and look them in the eye."

He asked me if I was comfortable dating a black man. I told him we weren't dating, but who knows what might happen.

Mary said that her parents had questioned her about marrying a black man, but they ended up being supportive. Then she added, "Being with Fontaine is worth anything any ignorant racist would ever say or do." They leaned over and kissed each other. I felt a little twinge of jealousy knowing she had a loving partner.

I stayed a couple of hours and had another glass of wine. They were delightful and had me laughing. As I was leaving, Mary came over and gave me a big hug. I thanked her for inviting me over. I told her, "You have no idea how much I needed this. It has been so long since I have been out and truly relaxed and enjoyed myself."

She smiled and said, "We will have to do it again!" Fontaine came over and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Two kisses in one day, things were looking up!

I drove back to my apartment with the two of them on my mind. It was nice seeing a sweet couple together. I imagined the two of them sitting around their condo after I left. I imagined the two of them climbing into bed and him wrapping his arms around her. I longed for that feeling.

I got up Sunday morning and went for my run. I decided to unplug and not take my phone with me. My apartment is near the course of the famous Peachtree Road Race. I decided to take a longer run and ended up at Piedmont Park, where the race ends. I love the feel of the wind on my face and my ponytail bouncing left and right as I run. The sun was shining. I felt great.

A Date

I got back to my apartment at noon and saw I had a missed call from Kyle. He left a message asking me to call him back if I got in before one o'clock. I called him back. "Hey Kyle. What's up?" I asked.

"I got a call from one of my buddies this morning offering me tickets to the symphony this afternoon. I don't even know if you like classical music. I know this is short notice, but I would like you to join me if you are able."

I felt my heart race. "I love the symphony," I told him. "I didn't know you liked classical music. This will be fun. Where do you want me to meet you?" I asked.

He said, "Why don't you give me your address, and I can come by and pick you up? If you want, we can go to a nice restaurant near the symphony hall afterwards." I gave him my address, and he told me he would be there at 1:30. That gave me less than two hours to get ready.

I was practically dancing as I ran around the apartment. I took another shower and shaved my legs and arms. I dried my hair and looked at myself in the mirror. "Are you ready for this?" I asked myself. I went to the closet and pulled out my favorite black dress. It covers my shoulders and is about mid-thigh length. It isn't considered a mini, but on my tall frame, it is pretty close. It is simple and gathered at the waist and has a little plunge at the neckline.

I decided to wear black heels since Kyle is so tall. I hardly ever get to wear heels. I wore a gold necklace and gold earrings to tie it all together. I even found a little black bag I could take with me. I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair fell onto my back. The dress looked good and accentuated my flat stomach and bubble butt. It wasn't too low cut. I was ready but a little nervous.

As soon as I sat down the monitor buzzed, and I could see Kyle at the door. I asked if he wanted to come up for a second. He said, "I would like that." The doorbell rang a few minutes later, and I opened it for him. He looked at me and said, "You look amazing! All of the other guys will be very jealous."

I smiled at him and said, "Well, you don't look too badly yourself." The truth was that he was gorgeous. He was wearing a black suit with a black shirt and black tie. Despite his height, he looked slender and athletic.

He asked if I was ready. I grabbed my bag and walked toward the door, and he opened it for me. I locked it as we left, and he took my hand as we walked.

We got onto the elevator and headed down to the parking garage. He thanked me for joining him and said, "I know it was short notice, but I am glad you were able to go. We were lucky to get these tickets. The guy who owns them plays for the Falcons. I think they are good seats."

I told him that I did not know he enjoyed classical music. He smiled that big smile and said, "There are a lot of things about me you don't know!"

The elevator door opened to the garage, and he led me to his car. He drove a black Escalade. I told him I liked his car. He laughed and said, "It is one of the few cars tall enough for me to be comfortable in when I drive."

As he drove, he asked me about myself. I told him about college, law school, and my job. I told him about playing on the college tennis team and asked him not to tell anyone. "No wonder you are so damn good at tennis," he said. "I didn't know I was playing with a pro."

Kyle looked over at me and asked, "I could not help overhearing you talking at the tennis match about your husband. Do you want to tell me about that?"

I looked at him; he was thoughtful and seemed to genuinely care. I told him about Mike and the accident. I told him that I was devastated and still pretty fragile.

He reached over and held my hand. "I cannot imagine anything like that happening. I know it wasn't easy for you to tell me. Thank you for trusting me enough to tell me," he said. I held his hand and felt reassured. Changing the subject, I asked him about himself.