Ultimate Betrayal

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Yep, this place was full of memories. When I wandered out to the living room, it was again shoved in my face. Every wall of the living room was covered by photographs of Sione: all his team photos, all his trophy's and prizes. It was a living breathing shrine to my brother.

I dreaded what would happen if he walked in through that door. I hoped he would be sensible enough to stay away.

The next day we went into the hospital to visit Mum. When we arrived, Sefina was already there and they all shared hugs and kisses. She hesitantly held her arms open for me, but I ignored her request, and eventually she lowered her arms. Absorbing her rejection, she simply said, "Hello, Fetu."

Again, I ignored her. We went in to see Mum, and when she saw me, she broke into a huge smile and held her arms open. We hugged and I gave her a kiss, "Thank you for coming, son," she whispered breathlessly.

I nodded. "It's all right, Mum, I just want you to get better."

She patted the bed, and I sat beside her, holding her hand. We talked about what I had been doing, living, working the whole shebang. She asked, "How are you getting on with Luka? He's such a sweet dear; he is the apple of my eye, you know."

I left her question unanswered; I didn't want to cause her any further damage. Later, the doctors came in and explained to us all they were going to do the bypass, there was no alternative, their fear was putting her under the anaesthetic.

The operation was scheduled for the next day. At home that night, Lucy took control and started cooking dinner. She seemed to have mastered cooking for my family. I noted how much she was preparing and walked over, "Why are you cooking so much?"

Dad overheard, and stated rather firmly, "Your brother and his family are coming for a family dinner. We are welcoming home our prodigal son."

Scowling I snapped, "Then don't cook anything for me, because I won't be here."

Dad stood up, standing to his full height and snarled, "You are staying. There will be no stupidity. We are family, and we need to be here for your mother. She must be our focus."

The anger flowed through me, as well. "I will be here for Mum, but if he walks in while I am here, there will be a fight. Dad, I don't want to disrespect you or our home, but I warn you. I will not be here when he is here. If he does walk in, there will be a fight. I will leave and come home later after they have gone."

Lucy joined the fray. "Can't you just let bygones be bygones? What's to be achieved by digging up the past?"

"It isn't the past," I snarled. "I promised him a beating, and I promise you. I will give it to him, but it won't be here, and it won't be now."

I grabbed my jacket and headed for the door. Dad walked purposefully behind me, his deep voice booming. "Son, you are being stupid. He is your brother, and he loves you. We are one family."

I glanced around the room; all his photos were still there. None of me or my teams, it was all Sione. It hurt and I gasped, "Look around you, Dad. This place is a shrine to Sione; his face adorns every wall. As you look around, tell me how many photos do you see of me? Where are my photos? Where is the we?"

Dad glanced around the room and I saw him wince. As I went to walk out, Luka rushed up and jumped onto my leg whimpering in his stuttery voice, "Stay." When I peered down at him, I saw his cute little smile, his eyes seemed to beg, "Stay."

I untangled his arms without picking him up. This was hard. I was there when he was born, I cut the umbilical cord, I bathed him, I cuddled him, I held him in my arms and told him I loved him. I made him promises as he snuggled in his cot. I knelt down in front of him, "I'll see you later, kid, be good for mummy."

With that I walked out, not knowing where I was going. I rang a taxi and asked if he knew where there was a cheap hotel.

Once ensconced in my hotel room, I lay back, thinking why did life have to be so hard? Before Luka was born, everything seemed plain sailing, we had jobs, our own home, life couldn't have been better and now everything was fucked.

Lucy and I met at University. She was an Aucklander, of Croatian heritage. If I thought I had it tough living at home, I had nothing on her. She was guarded by three burly brothers and her father, who was a giant of a man.

Initially when I moved to Auckland, I still couldn't shake off my Samoan community. Mum and Dad organised for the church elders to keep an eye on me. I was expected to live at one of our extended Whanau's homes. And they tried to set me up with their daughters.

Not a hardship, as some of them were very pretty. The problem was, they weren't for me. Much to my mother's discontent, I never actually dated any of them. She had her hands around everything in my life and it pissed me off. So I did what any son would do. I rebelled.

Thankfully, it was Sione who saved me. He made the mistake of getting his girlfriend, Sefina, pregnant. That was it; my parents were to busy to worry about me. They had a wedding to arrange. For once, I said "Thank you, Sione."

Lying in my hotel room, it was impossible to suppress the images of Luce. I still missed her; I missed her in my bed at night, I missed her smell, her stupid giggly laugh. I even missed our arguments. Life sucked. From the first moment we met, I knew she was my one and only.

The next morning, I found my way into the hospital, where Mum was already awake and complaining. "Where are the others?" she asked.

"I guess they'll find their own way here."

She scowled. "Why didn't you come with your father?"

"Because I didn't stay at home last night."

"Fetu," she sighed sadly. "Why didn't you stay at home?"

"Because Dad organised a big family dinner and invited Sione and his family."

Her scowl deepened, "And what's wrong with that?"

"I don't want to be around him. He is no longer my brother and I promised the next time we meet face to face I am going to beat him to a pulp. I didn't want that to be at our home, so I left."

She reached painfully for my hand, "Fetu, he is your brother, he loves you. I beg you... I don't want to die knowing my sons are at war. Please, I beg you for me, make peace with him. Don't let me die with blood on my hands."

"You're not going to die, Mum."

Her grip tightened as she saw the fiery resolve on my face. She broke into tears, "Fetu, I am begging you." The tears streaming down her face, "I'm scared, son, let me go to my grave knowing my family is whole, please promise me here and now."

Sighing I nodded letting out a deep breath, "Yeah, okay, fine. Mum. I promise to try, but if he says one single thing then I want to be freed from my promise."

She nodded, "That's all I ask, son, that you will try."

Just then, Lucy, Dad, Sefina and all the girls walked in. They all greeted, and Dad held Mum in a tight embrace. He seemed scared to let go, but Mum was brave. She smiled. "I'm going to be all right, don't fuss."

She was wheeled out about an hour later for her surgery.

I decided to go for a walk to stretch my legs. As I walked the corridors, I felt a presence behind me and when I turned, it was Sefina, "Fetu, slow down, can we talk?"

She sped up trying to fall into pace beside me, "Fetu, this is all my fault, I put that stupid idea in her head. It was me."

"Why, Sefina? Why did you do it?"

"I'm sorry, but Lucy was desperate, so very desperate, and I saw the gulf between you. I thought a baby might fix everything."

"I don't understand why you let them do it, in your bed as well... have you no shame? I thought you loved him?"

She frowned, turning away. "I do love him, I can't explain it. I have regretted it every day since. I didn't understand how difficult it would be watching Luka play with our kids. When I see Sione with him I get jealous and we argue. The whole thing was stupid."

I scoffed loudly. "You don't have to tell me."

"It was my fault, Fetu. I live with my shame, with the guilt of ruining your marriage. Every day I have to look into, Lucy's eyes, into your mother's eyes. It is my punishment, and I accept that."

Struggling as she was to keep up, she panted softly. "I have to ask, is there any way you could forgive them? You must miss having your family around, I see the way you look at Lucy; you still love her don't you."

I sighed. "Yes, I suppose I do, probably always will. That doesn't mean I can forgive them, play happy houses."

"Fetu, Dad wants us all to get together again tonight. Sione couldn't be here today, he has to work, that's another bloody thing, we have to pay child support. I mean, it's not a lot but it hurts seeing that money go out."

"Sefina, I am not going to be there. I have more respect for my father than that. I don't want to start something with Sione in the family home. If I see Sione, I don't think I could hold myself back."

She gave me a worried glance. "Fetu, I don't want to sound mean, but that would be silly, and you know it. Deep down inside, you must know."

I grinned. "Never underestimate anger.."

I walked off leaving her standing mid corridor. She was right, I talked big, but the truth is if it was a fair fight, he would beat me easily. In all the fights we had over the years, and there had been a few, he always won.

I would have to bide my time and wait. So long as we could stay out of each other's way, I could get through this visit, for Mum's sake. I walked back to Mum's room to be greeted by Lucy, who gave me a sad glare. She was trying to keep Luka, entertained, but he was bored and playing up. I chuckled to myself, remembering back to when I was young. Luce must have misconstrued my snigger, because she threw him over her shoulder and stormed off out into the corridor.

As we waited, Dad asked if I would be at home for dinner. He was disappointed when I said no. It sort of killed off the conversation. Mum was finally wheeled out, and talking to the doctors, the prognosis was good. She was still unconscious and placed into the recovery ward.

We all paraded down to hopefully be there when she woke up. She woke slowly and was pretty groggy, but slowly came to life. We stayed to keep her company for a while before Dad dragged the others away. I said I was staying for a while. After the family was gone, Mum reached for my hand. "Are you all right boy?"

"Yeah, I'm okay, Mum, just glad you're going to be all right. I do love you."

She giggled. "I am not going to die until I have my family back together."

We talked about silly things, filling in time until she drifted off to sleep.

I eventually found my way back to the motel. Over the next few days she recovered quickly, and was being released on the Friday. She was bright and happy as she was wheeled out to the car. They all left, and I got a taxi back to the hotel. It was later when Mum called. "Fetu, we are having a family celebration. I want you here for dinner tonight."

"Sorry, Mum, but I'm not feeling well, and I have an early flight in the morning."

"Fetu, you made me a promise, and I expect you to honour it." Against my better judgement, I allowed her to twist my arm. I knew I was going to regret that promise, but what can you do?

When I arrived at the family home, there were cars spread everywhere and I noticed Sione's Falcon parked out front.

I walked up to the door and knocked. Lucy, who opened the door with Luka in her arms. She looked exhausted; cooking for this bunch could be a big job. She welcomed me in with a wave of her arm. Luka, who was fidgeting around, reached out for a cuddle I waved away, which caused Lucy to grit her teeth in a tight grimace.

The family, including uncles, Aunts, Nieces, and nephews; it was going to be a big feast.

Everyone was gathered in the living room, and when they saw me walk in, there were lots of hugs and handshakes. Sione stood to the back waiting, but I ignored him and walked over to where Mum sat snuggled under a blanket. As I leaned over to give her a hug, Sione called out, "Hey Bro, don't I get a hug?"

I ignored him, my teeth gnashing. Mum held me tightly in our embrace, "Give your brother a hug."

When I stood, I stood by her side and Dad came over for a hug. "Thank you, son."

He patted my back and we started to slip into a conversation, but Sione would have none of it. He marched right up to my face, hissing spitefully, "I said, don't I get a hug from my Bro?" He opened his arms, but I just stood there watching blankly. He stepped forward and I reached out, poking him in the chest. "Stay there, don't come any closer Sione, I'm warning you."

He laughed. "Oh, don't be a girl, give me a hug."

"I warned you, stay out of my face."

He threw his arms in the air and snapped. "Jeez Bro, you're being a bitch. I did you a favour, I did the job you couldn't do."

His nasty sneer pissed me off, and I was about to leap on him when Dad stepped between us. "Sione, we have put up with your attitude long enough. Apologise to your brother."

Sione glanced around the room and turned, "I'm not apologising, because he is a little bitch. I did him a favour, god damn it."

One of my Uncles grabbed him and dragged him away. Furious, he walked over, picked Luka, from Lucy's arms and called out loud enough for everyone to hear, "Come here, son, come and talk to you father."

I saw the pain on Lucy's face. She had to walk away, and Sefina wrapped her in a hug as they concentrated on serving dinner. I leaned down and kissed Mum, "Sorry, I tried, but if I stay, there will be a fight. I'm going back to my hotel, I'm glad you're feeling better, Mum."

She smiled and nodded.

I walked up the road away from the house and called for a taxi. As I disconnected the call, I heard feet running up the road. It was Lucy, and she flew into my arms, "God, I'm so sorry, Fetu, he can be such a jerk. I never realised what a dick he could be."

"Yeah, well, welcome to my world. He's been like this since we were teenagers. He's a prick."

Just then, my taxi turned up and I jumped in. That night I changed my flights to the next day. I went home early in the morning and said my goodbyes before heading off.

Life returned to normal, except Mum and I stayed in touch more regularly, occasionally video calling. On those occasions, it was impossible to miss Lucy, as she always seemed to be around when Mum and I were talking.

Memories, ah yes. It was impossible to hide from them. Luce and I met at a local burger bar, where I worked. Yeah, I'd seen her around the campus. She was impossible to miss. Lucija, or Lucy, or Lou, as her friends called her. was a beautiful young girl. Thin and lithe, with the graceful ease of a gymnast. Her rich brown hair was long and straight, it shined with a glossy sheen as she walked and it flowed in the breeze. Her eyes, oh damn, her eyes were gorgeous, sexy and inviting, a dark green colour that showed emotion. Her eyes were the secret: they gave up her true emotions, happy or sad, it was always reflected in those mirrored lenses.

Of Croatian parentage, she had the European facial structure, a long thin aquiline nose that fitted her cute face perfectly, her cheekbones were high and prominent. With her head in a shawl, she looked every inch the gypsy.

Lucy walked in with a bunch of girlfriends. I checked the clock and it was one AM; it had apparently been a big night. They had obviously been out partying and were pretty drunk. She looked surprised when she saw me behind the counter, grinning drunkenly. "Fetu... I didn't know you worked here." I loved the way she pronounced my name.

My full name is Fetuilelagi, but everyone and I mean everyone calls me Fetu. I smiled, "A boy's got to pay the bills somehow... what can I get you ladies?"

As the girls all started placing their orders and a bunch of drunken guys walked in. On spotting the girls, they started making lewd comments, whistling and making sure the girls could hear them. The girls tried to ignore them, but they made it impossible and got more boisterous with each passing minute.

It went on until one of the guys grabbed one of Lucy's friends and tried to kiss her; that's when I acted. I yelled out to the kitchen staff to call the cops as I bounded over the counter and grabbed the guy, pushing him outside. "If you can't behave you'll have to leave!" I yelled at them.

One of the other guys went to grab me and pull me off his mate, but as he took a swing I leaned in, landed a strong punch up into his guts and winded him. He dropped to his knees, coughing and spilling out the contents of his stomach.

The guy I pushed out backed off quickly, the remaining guys swarmed out and started to circle me, but thankfully, the cops turned up to rescue me.

The cops directed the blokes to leave after taking statements.

Back inside, Lucy gave me a hug and a sloppy kiss as a way of thanks. I laughed. "No worries, now what was the order again?"

They all stood around talking, waiting for their food, Lucy walked over, and we talked more in that ten minutes than we ever had. They left soon after, and Lucy gave me a happy wave.

Watching her walk away my heart swelled; she was a beauty that's for sure.

Over the next few months we started to eat lunch together and she became a regular customer at the burger bar. I think the fact I never charged her helped.

Anyway, over time we became closer. If I thought the Samoan culture was strict, I was surprised to find the Croatians were worse. Lucy, though, was a rebel, maybe without a cause, but she pushed back at her parents. She got into trouble from the first boy she dated right through because she didn't restrict herself to Croatians. She was oblivious to her parents' requirements.

Over time, we stopped being friends, and became lovers. Our courtship was fiery to start with. Her parents were not happy. The last thing thy wanted to see walk in their front door was a Samoan boy.

When my parents found out, they were even worse. Mum had gone to a lot of trouble getting the family to set me up with acceptable Samoan girls.

What won over her father and brothers was soccer. They were as fanatical about soccer, as my family was about Rugby. When they found out I played, I was soon conscripted into their team. Soccer, in New Zealand, is very ethnic. In West Auckland, it was mostly Croatian players. I was allowed in because I was dating their sister, oh, and the fact I was one of their better players. I had to have a little laugh about that. Soccer was going to pay dividends after all.

My mother was not so happy, but she was clever enough to know how my mind worked. "Fetu, I want to meet this girl. You must bring her home so she can meet your family." As it always was with Mum, it wasn't a request, it was an instruction. Lucy had talked with her a few times over the phone, but this was different. She would be meeting them on enemy territory. That's the way she saw it, anyway. Mum had made no attempts at making her welcome. In fact, she had been very rude to her.

The moment we pulled up outside our old house I saw the fear on Lucy's face. This was a rough neighbourhood. There were cars pulled apart on the front lawns of most houses, there were noisy kids running wild everywhere. The houses were all old and run down. The moment the door opened and Mum stood welcoming us in, I saw the dismay on her face. She had obviously expected a Samoan girl and Lucy shocked her.

Dad came out to greet us, encircling me in a big hug and offering Lucy a handshake. It was a cool greeting, but as we talked, they warmed to her. In fact, it only took her minutes to have Dad eating out of her hand. Mum was a different kettle of fish; she was harder to break down.

Sione, Sefina and their new daughter appeared to meet my new girlfriend, and Sione was shocked. I saw it in his eyes... how did I snaffle a girl like her? At the dinner table, Sefina dropped her news: she was pregnant again.

123456...8