Unbelievable Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dr. Copper rushed to John's side when she saw that. Quickly checking to see if he had a pulse, blowing out a breath when it was steady. She never thought this would happen, even with the operation. She never suspected there would be a whole independent persona locked away, trapped behind the damaged portion of his brain. Seeing hints of something does not equate to what she had seen firsthand. Dropping her chin into her hand, she had summarized due to his trauma that John might have developed DID; now she had proof given how the 'John' personality had emerged after the operation. Given the fact that he had stated that he's been locked away for years. She knew her work was cut out for her to determine which one was his primary personality and which was his altar. Also, given how his hallucination of speaking to the 'Johnny' personality, she had to assume they were now both aware of the other. Which was not normal; then again, this whole situation wasn't normal. Turning on her heel, deep in thought as she stroked her chin as she moved away to give his family some privacy while she gathered her thoughts. Pondering if integrating the two personalities would work, that is, if they wanted to do so in the first place. Looking up from her ponderings, cocking an eyebrow as Bill stood before her.

"It's DID, isn't it?" Bill asked out of the blue. He had read about it in his textbooks.

"I believe so, yes," Dr. Copper nodded.

"Bill, what are you talking about?" Ruth asked, looking over at him as she and Yasmine held each other.

"It's what they call multiple personality disorder now," Bill answered, peering back at her.

"But your brother wasn't diagnosed with that," Katherine stated, holding on to Brandan, wondering what more could her son endure.

"You can be born with it, or it can manifest through trauma."

"I see you've been studying hard; that is true; trauma can cause DID to manifest," Dr. Copper stated, backing up Bill's statement.

"But why haven't we seen this before now?" Brandan asked at a loss.

"We have; every time he's had a seizure, a little bit more of this personality made its way to the surface, and now it has a direct route to make itself known permanently..." Their heads turned as a knock came upon the door stilling their conversation.

"Howdy, did I interrupt something?" John's doctor asked curiously as he pushed the door opened and looked around the room.

"No, doctor, is something wrong?" Katherine and Brandan asked as one.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you should know," he said, walking into the room. Pulling out the MRI scan he had performed on John a few weeks ago to the one taken just a few hours ago. Placing them side by side and flipping on the light, "This is the scan I had Johnny undergo a few weeks ago, and this one is from today," he said, pointing to them, watching how Katherine's hands flew to her mouth. Knowing he didn't need to state the obvious, it was plain as day on the film. The drug was failing as the neurons that it had once been created had started to deteriorate. He knew it would only be a matter of time before the new pathways were completely gone.

"How long?" Brandan asked; he had prayed John hadn't gone all through this for nothing, yet it seemed he was wrong.

"Given the regression rate, I say, a month, maybe two tops. If we undergo the treatment again..."

"No," Johnny spoke; his voice was harsh, his head throbbed like mad, his body was weak due to the stress from the seizure.

"Johnny?!" Janus exclaimed, throwing her arms around him. "I knew you'd come back to us; I just knew it," she whispered low, crying into his shoulder.

"Sorry..."

"You don't have to apologize for anything; it wasn't you. I'm just so happy you came back to me," Janus sniffled.

"Of course, I would. Have you seen you?" Johnny asked weakly, getting a light chuckle out of her. "Thanks," he said, his eyes flickered over to Annie, who had a huge, happy, warm grin on her face, yet her tears still dangled from her eyelashes.

"You don't have to thank me, Johnny; I'm your sister. I'm always going to save you," Annie sniffled as she wiped her tears away.

"Johnny, but don't you want those memories?" Wanda asked, holding onto Ray's hand tightly.

"No, not worth the cost. He needs to remain locked away," Johnny said, his eyes solely on Janus and Annie. "It's not worth the risk, not when there are far more important things to protect," he spoke, his eyes falling on their child. "You okay? I'm sorry, I didn't mean..."

Janus seared her love for her man onto his lips as she kissed John with a passion. Her eyes studied his, seeing that light within them, knowing he had truly returned to her. "We're fine, baby; you just focus on yourself right now. But I'm so happy you're back."

"But I ruined our honeymoon," Johnny said sadly.

"No, you didn't, silly; the mountains will still be there; it doesn't matter where we go as long as your there; that's all that matters to me," Janus uttered in a warm, loving tone as her fingers brushed through his hair.

"Well, I am sorry to hear that, Johnny, but I can completely understand your stance on the matter. Honestly, I didn't think you would agree, and personally, I wouldn't do it either," the man said, smiling warmly at the two of them. "But I'm going to keep you here for forty-eight hours just to be sure your brain activity has stabilized. We don't want a repeat of what happened down in the ER."

"I understand; I'll be a good boy, only if I get another kiss," Johnny said, watching Janus' eyes burn with a hunger. His doctor's chuckle filled the room as Janus didn't waste a second.

"I'm more than willing to keep kissing you to keep you behaved," Janus said wantonly.

"Way to get an old man jealous," his doctor joked. "I'll get you some medicine for the pain and to help you sleep." John nodded, slyly watching the man leading his parents out of the room.

"Johnny, are you sure this is what you want? We could work to integrate John into your personality. It would take time, but it can be done," Dr. Copper stated as she stepped up to the side of his bed.

"No, he's too dangerous. If I wasn't bound, he would have hurt you," Johnny stated, looking right at Janus. "I am not letting him, or me, or whatever you want to call it near my wife or my child. He needs to stay where he is, locked in that dark part of my mind."

"Ah, and you fear if you went back for another injection, you wouldn't be able to keep 'John' caged?" Dr. Copper asked to which John simply nodded.

"Johnny, can I ask," Ray spoke, stepping forward. "Why do you say that he is you, isn't he?"

"No, I'm Johnny; he's something else."

"Huh?!" Ray muttered, very confused.

"I'll explain it to you later," Bill said, looking over at his brother.

"Think of conjoined twins, they share the same body or organs, but they are not the same person," Dr. Copper said in a way that Ray could understand.

"That must be so confusing for you," Yasmine stated, finally approaching John's bed once she knew it was him.

"You have no idea," Johnny said with a tired sigh.

"I'm going to let you get some rest. I'll be back tomorrow, and we can discuss this in more detail, alright?" Dr. Copper uttered, pleased that John was finally letting her in at least a little bit.

"Not like I'm going anywhere, doc," Johnny retorted with a light tug on his cuffs. The moment the door closed, and it was just them in the room, Annie wasted no time in getting her own kiss in.

"That's for scaring me, and this," laying on a rather mind-befuddling kiss on his lips, "is for coming back; I never want to lose you," Annie whispered.

"Was I lost? Did you not leave a trail of breadcrumbs... ow!" Johnny hissed as Annie slapped his chest. "I'm ill; you're supposed to be nice to the ill."

"I show you ill," Annie teased, yet couldn't keep her smile from her face as she rose from her spot.

"Do you remember any of it?" Yasmine inquired, hoping that their all-female threesome wasn't the cause that set off his seizure.

"Only bits and pieces," Johnny stated truthfully.

"So you don't remember what 'John' was saying to us?" Ray asked, watching how John shook his head.

"I only know what I felt from him in here," Johnny said, pointing at his head. "So, did you call the hotel, telling them we wouldn't make our reservation?" he asked, looking at Annie and Janus.

"I did," Annie nodded.

"And?"

"They said since we didn't give them forty-eight-hour notice, our deposit would not be refunded, so I didn't see the need to reserve the room for another time slot for when you were better," Annie spoke, seeing the disapproving look on John's face.

"Good, if they treat my wives like that, I rather not stay there," John muttered, earning him wide smiles from the two of them. "So, what do you two want to do? Chose another one?" he asked, looking between the two.

"I might have a suggestion," Ruth uttered, cutting in, causing the three of them to turn their gaze towards her. "Now, just hear me out; you can say no if you want to. Why don't you three come with us on ours," holding up a hand when Bill started to open his mouth, "I'm not saying stay with us while we're on our own honeymoon, but on the island, the resort is big enough. There's lot's to do there, without us bumping into each other if we don't want to. I only suggest it in case this 'John' persona of yours comes back while you three are away. If it does, Bill here can hopefully help you through it until we can get you through it or until emergency personnel arrives on the island if they don't already have any. Plus, what would happen if you did and all there was around was strangers that didn't know the first thing about you or how to help you?"

"You have a point," Johnny relented. "But it's up to them, not just me."

"Baby, I already told you what I thought," Janus said, with Annie nodding along.

"And you two are okay with tagging along with them?" Johnny asked pointedly.

"Didn't say that, but after this, and until we're sure this 'John' character can't resurface at will, I think it would be best if we had someone with Bill's background around just in case," Janus answered, looking over at Bill. "You okay with that?"

"No, but you do have a logical explanation, and I don't want some fool thinking Johnny's dangerous and knows nothing about his medical history, just making wild guesses. And if you feel this other of yours is that dangerous, I would rather be the one there for you than some stranger when everyone is miles and miles apart. But you aren't having sex with my wife on our honeymoon?!" Bill stated in a big brotherly voice.

"Oh?" Tilting his head to the side, watching Ruth's cheeks heat rapidly, "Have you told her that?" John asked, pointing the best he could at her.

"What?!" Ruth muttered as Bill peered at her as the other's mirth filled the room.

As John's doctor had predicted, the neurons that the drug had formed regressed back to the point where they were nonexistent a month after that day. Try as they might, nothing they showed him would or could spark a memory from his childhood, nor were they willing to risk John having a seizure just to prove something. Katherine and Brandan had stopped trying to get the boy back; they had thought they had lost to the horrors of Raven Dale when in reality, he had always been right before them. They had just allowed the memories of the past to cloud their sight. So when Katherine wasn't helping Bill and Ruth with their wedding planning, she could be found helping Janus prep for the birth of her first child. Brandan and John worked around both houses, just getting the little things done before the big day. Ruth's and Bill's wedding, a few days after their spring semester was finished, was celebrated by the whole family. John's mother's parents had showed up at his childhood home a few days before the event. By this time, John, Janus, and Annie were spending much of their time in their own home to get as much alone time with each other before Julia was born, so they didn't know they had arrived until Katherine's voice traveled down the connector of the two houses where they kept the doors open yet respected their privacy to not come barging into their home. So they were surprised when Katherine stood in the doorway watching John placing kisses on Janus' swollen belly as she stood before him with her shirt over her stomach. Annie, too was getting her own share of kisses not to be left out.

After being brought over to his childhood home, he was a little surprised to see his grandparents. They were equally mortified to see Janus holding onto John like a wife should and how far along Janus was in their pregnancy. When they opened their mouths to voice their displeasure at the sight. John just looked at Janus; they didn't need to say a word; turning about walked back over to their house, leaving his rather stunned grandparents behind. "Remember this when you beg to see your great-grandchild." Were John's departing words, Annie waved to her very red-faced grandparents, who were just standing there in utter shock that John would just do something like that. After making an ass out of themselves, they begged Katherine to allow them to attend Bill's wedding. Bill would only relent to them being in the back row. When they scoffed at the offer, demanding they be seated with the family. Bill firmly but gently said: No! When Ruth spoke, stating that John would be there and since he would be her brother-in-law and she knew him far longer than the two people sitting across from her. She rather not have John perturbed on that day, especially after the way they had insulted his wife. Once again, Katherine's parents were in stun silence when Ruth spoke in a very calm and cordial tone that they could either take the offer or not, their choice; while she would like for them to be there, for Bill's sake, she was not about to allow them to ruin the progress that John had made since his last hospitalization. If they didn't wish to abide by any of their stipulations, she would be more than happy to send them a tape of their wedding.

Clearly defeated and with no other cards to play, Katherine's parents agreed to the terms Bill and Ruth laid out. Yasmine flew in the next day, happy as a clam, squealing in delight with her arms outstretched as she raced towards her sister. Yasmine wanted John there to greet her as well; however, since her parents had bought the tickets and were flying with her, John agreed with Bill that he and Ruth should be the ones there, and when they got to the house, John would be there with bells and whistles. John thought Ruth's parents were okay if her old man was a little pervy leering so much at Janus and Annie. Who he had cornered away from everyone, reminding him in no uncertain terms to keep his eyes in his head and off his wife and sister; he mused how the man's wife would take the news. The man was about to open his mouth and berate John for the audacity to demean his honor and to insult a guest. That was until Brandan appeared, asking his son what was going on. Telling his father the truth about reminding the man about showing respect in another man's house, also informing his father about the leers he was casting at Annie when his wife wasn't looking. Turning to his father, asking if he minded finishing up for him so he could go check on Janus since she's had a slight trouble getting around at eight months pregnant. The man visibly paled when Brandan's face got a very hard look to it as he lightly patted his son's back as John past him.              

At the reception, due to how sore Janus' feet were that day, John led Annie out onto the dancefloor. Where Cheap Tricks 'I want you to want me' began to play, followed by all the rest of the Masters family. While Janus might not be able to cut loose, she did enjoy watching her man enjoy the day as Annie and John just danced without a care. A smile formed on her lips, pleased that John's health had stabilized since that day. While she did worry that he would have another seizure, yet surprisingly, unbeknownst to them, the drug's side effect had worked on John to lessen his seizures since John wouldn't have another one for five years. Once the event was over, the five of them had agreed to take Janus' SUV, with the rear already packed. Brandan, with Katherine, squeezed against him, Ray, with his arm around Wanda, who stood to his father's right, waved to the five of them as Bill pulled out of the parking lot of the church and headed north.

Two weeks later, while at home making lunch for her and John while Annie was looking for an internship at a Veterinarian clinic. Janus' hand flew to her stomach, crying out in pain as her water broke. John ran like a chicken with its head cut off, getting everything Janus needed for her stay in the hospital while she recuperated from giving birth. The first person he called was his mother. John had no clue how he could have remained level-headed enough without her. They were lucky that Wanda had chosen that time to come home for lunch and pick up the book she needed for class that she had forgotten that morning. When she had heard Janus' cries of pain, all that went out the window as she raced over to their house. With Wanda's help, they got Janus to her car. John handed her the keys and told her to drive. It was 10:24 the next day when Julia Anders Masters came into the world at five pounds and ten ounces with a full head of dark hair like her father's. Katherine, Ruth, Annie, and Wanda cooed and awed over mother and daughter as they crowded around them. Brandan just placed a fatherly hand on his son's back as the Masters' boys watched on.

*****

Two Years later...

John, now twenty, and Janus, thirty-nine, and pregnant with their second child, Annie, just having finished college and employed at a Veterinary clinic close to their lakefront home and currently couldn't make the trip with them that day. Due to her being on call, not that didn't stop her from being there on video call as they climbed the grassy knoll that led to his dear friend's grave. Little Julia, a few days shy of two, held her father's hand, wondering why they had come to that place. John's thumb brushed along his daughter's tiny fingers as he smiled down at her, who just returned it with an upright, beaming face. The moment she was born, his mother and father spoiled her rotten. Katherine was a very devoted grandmother, and Brandan's inner child resurfaced as he chased his granddaughter about. Ruth and Wanda would not hesitate to watch her if they needed it. Ray and Wanda had moved about ten minutes outside the city when they had gotten married a year ago. Not that Brandan and Katherine wouldn't allow the two of them to stay with them, yet they wanted to branch out on their own and see if they could make it as a married couple. They still returned to the house for their extracurricular family fun, yet it no longer took place as often as it once did. Bill was still in his med school; he would be starting his residency next year, and Ruth had been hired to teach seventh grade at the middle school that all three brothers had attended.

"Julia?"

"Yes, daddy?" Julia answered in a small, cute voice as they stood before Julia's grave. Her green eyes followed John's movement as he got to one knee.

"You're old enough now to understand where you got your name from. You see," lightly tugging on the hem of his daughter's shirt, "long ago, before I fell in love with your mother," noticing the smile on Janus' face when he said that, "I used to know a very sweet girl, just like you," John said, lightly tickling his daughter's stomach causing her to giggle. "You see, we were in this very, very bad place, and they were hurting us. She was the one that kept me going through it all, yet her pain was just too much for her, and she passed away." John's eyes lightened as his daughter reached up and caressed his left cheek with her little hand sensing his pain like any child would do. "She was my very dear friend, so when your mother told me she was pregnant with you. I could only think of one thing that would show my appreciation to her for everything she did for me in there. You remember our visits to see your godfather Jared?"