Unrequited Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I couldn't see through my tears, but I felt her weight shift on the sofa. Her leg pressed against mine, her small hand on my cheek.

"Bethany."

My eyes cracked open enough to see her lovely face, wracked with emotion. I tried to say something, to tell her I loved her, to say I was sorry again, but I couldn't. But she could see it in my face, and she came closer. Our lips found each other, and I whimpered in disbelieving, ecstatic joy as we kissed.

I poured everything I've been feeling, every moment of pain and heartbreak, into that healing moment. My head swam, trying to comprehend what was happening. When we broke apart I was breathless.

"Kayleigh, I..."

Kayleigh pressed a finger to my lips. "Shh." She moved back in and kissed me again, not as intensely but deeper and with purpose. I relaxed into it, letting my hands slide up her thigh, over her leggings and under the long, loose sweater she was wearing.

My fingertips reached her waistband, touching the soft skin of her torso. Kelly broke our kiss and pulled away, and I was scared I may have gone too far until she reached down, grasping the hem of her top and pulling it up over her head. She wasn't wearing a bra, her small, delicious breasts now commanding all my attention. She leaned back settling into my arms as I took one light brown nipple into my mouth.

"Oh, Bethany."

God, I missed that, her girlish coos, her soft passionate sighs, I'd been lost without them. I worshiped her lovely breasts for a few more minutes, Kayleigh becoming more and more breathless as I did, until I wrapped my arms around her, turning and laying her down on the couch.

I kissed down over her belly until I got below her navel. I grabbed her leggings, and she lifted her hips, letting me peel both them and her panties off in one single motion. Once they were gone she draped one leg over the back of the sofa the other pulled up, exposing her perfect little pussy to me.

I breathed her in, my body almost trembling with hedonistic joy as her incredible aroma filled me. But that was nothing to the glory of her flavor, and I bent down to partake therein.

I savored every moment, every gentle movement, every soft sound of ecstasy, every delicious, indescribable taste of her, reveling in the experience until all sound stopped as her small body seized in bliss.

When she stilled, I eased off, but just for a moment before I started again. I took her back to her peak several more times before she reached down and pulled me up until I covered her, kissing me fervently.

"OK, wow, my turn."

"Kayleigh, you don't..." This should be about her, but her glorious green eyes hardened, brooking no opposition. She ran her hands over my striped cotton blouse, resting them on my breast as she spoke.

"Bethany? Shut up and take off your shirt." I complied, both of us fumbling with my top until it was laying on the floor. Kayleigh squirmed out from under me as I reached back to undo my bra. She climbed into my lap as the girls came free.

She massaged them with both hands, eyes wide, "God, I missed these." I sank back into the cushions as she enjoyed me, taking her own sweet, wonderful time before moving south, sliding down onto the floor and divesting me of my jeans and underwear.

Her lovely mouth settled over my sex, and if her skills had atrophied at all during our months apart I sure couldn't tell. She brought me right up to the edge and held me there for several agonizing, glorious minutes until the dam burst, and orgasm after orgasm wracked my body.

When the floodwaters receded we were lying on the couch, facing each other as my breathing caught up with my overwhelmed body. I finally was able to speak.

"See, now, that went better than I expected."

Kayleigh giggled. The light that had been missing was back in her eyes. "Yeah, we probably shouldn't have done that. We need to take it slow."

"You realize we are really bad at taking things slow, right?"

She giggled again, but then her eyes got serious. "Can I ask you something? If I'd said no, what were you going to do?"

"Probably go back to my parents. They're only a few hours away. Start looking for a job."

"And if I told you I needed to think about it?"

"I was going to get a hotel, until you gave me another chance or told me to go away. I wasn't going to stalk you."

She smiled. "I know." She caressed the side of my face. "I think we should do that last one. You should get a hotel and stay there tonight. Come over for dinner tomorrow, and we can talk." She ran a finger down my sternum. "This might have been good, we got the tension out of the way."

I laughed. "OK. Whatever you want. I'll do anything." So we did, getting dressed and looking at hotels. I found an extended stay location, which I booked for a week. I drove over alone, checked in and found some takeout at a local restaurant. I was just getting ready for bed, running the events of the day through my mind for the thousandth time when my phone chirped.

Kayleigh - So, a crazy ex of mine came banging on my door today.

Me - You poor thing. You get rid of her?

Kayleigh - Not exactly. Seeing her again tomorrow.

Me - So you caved.

Kayleigh - It's not my fault. She's got this rack you wouldn't believe. I'm powerless against it.

I was still giggling when my phone dinged again.

Kayleigh - And I missed her. So much.

Now I was crying.

Me - She missed you, too. Sleep tight. See you tomorrow

Kayleigh - You, too. Can't wait.

*****

I got to Kayleigh's Monday afternoon at six, where she was cooking chicken with rice and veggies. I helped her finish up, and we talked. Nothing about us, or what had happened, just little things. I told her about my new nephew and the birth stories, and she talked about her family and her new job. And when we finished dinner she gave me a hug and I went back to my hotel.

The pattern repeated on Tuesday, although I stayed a bit later so we could play a few games of Patchwork. On Wednesday we finally started talking about things. I told her about my conversation with Sally, going through her wedding as a way to say goodbye. And finally on Thursday I got the nerve to tell her about the night I'd had to go to Natalie's and what I'd thought about doing.

"I mean, I thought abject despair was old hat for me, but, just, everything seemed so much darker without you. Not that it was your fault. None of it was your fault, this was all on me."

Kayleigh was trying to stay composed, but I could see the fear and hurt in her eyes.

"But Natalie talked me down, and I did some therapy, which taught me to really look at what I wanted."

I reached out and took Kayleigh's hand. "And now everything seems brighter. I'm not done healing yet. But I'm on my way." That night Kayleigh walked me out onto her patio and kissed me before I left. It was the most peaceful night's sleep I'd had in months.

On Friday we went out for Thai food, and afterwards we went dancing. I didn't get her home until midnight, and we stood at her door, kissing under the front porch light.

I pulled away and nodded toward my car. "I probably should get going."

Kayleigh looked up at me, her eyes soft with longing. "Don't go. Stay. Stay with me tonight."

"Kayleigh, are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm sure." With that she led me inside and back to her bedroom, where we made love into the small hours of the morning, falling asleep in each other's arms for the first time in months.

When I opened my eyes Kayleigh was watching me, her expression soft as her fingers played over my bare skin under the covers.

I smiled at her. "Good morning."

"Hi."

I reached out and touched her face, and she snuggled close to me. I whispered in her ear, "So, what comes next?"

"Well, I've decided I'm going to give you a second chance."

She said it with humor, but it made me break down, and she pulled me close.

"Oh, baby, I've got you."

I put my forehead against hers. "I love you." It had never felt more true.

"I know you do. So what do you say we get you checked out of that hotel so you can come home."

"Here?"

A moment of hurt flashed across Kayleigh's eyes. "Yes. Unless you don't want to."

"No! I do!" I took her hands and mine. "I am all in, Kayleigh. It's just, I'm surprised you want me to. Or that you'd let me."

"Bethany, I wanted you to come with me." She wiped a tear away from my cheek. "Before I left, I kept having this fantasy that you'd show up, suitcase in hand, asking to come with me."

"And you would've let me?"

There were tears in her eyes now. "I stood at the end of my driveway for five minutes before I left my condo for the last time, staring down the street, praying you'd show up. So, yeah." Her voice was quavering with emotion by the time she finished, and my heart broke thinking about her, there alone, waiting for me. "But you didn't choose me. It hurt, Bethany."

"I know, I'm sorry. I was so stupid."

Kayleigh kissed my hand. "Don't say that. You made a mistake. But you came back to me, and I forgive you, and I love you." We were both crying now. We kissed, and as I savored her lips I promised myself I'd be worthy of her forgiveness, of her trust, and for the first time in our relationship, I felt like I actually could keep that promise.

Sunday night was dinner at the O'Malley's, and we announced our new living arrangements. Everyone was very supportive, with one exception, of course, but even Molly was at least civil. I got a big hug from Stephen, and I expressed my undying gratitude to him again and again.

As soon as Kayleigh left for work on Monday, Patches and I ordered my POD, and then I started looking for a job. Luckily for me IT workers are in demand, so I had plenty of positions to try for.

My POD arrived Friday, and Sung-Ho, Stephen, and their respective crews came by to help us unload what we wanted, and to take what we didn't to Goodwill. The whole thing turned into a little impromptu welcome home party. Molly even brought a loaf of homemade sourdough bread and a bottle of good wine, along with a potted plant. She did pull me aside at one point.

"I'm still not sure this is a good idea, Bethany. But I love my sister, and I want her to be happy, so please know I really am rooting for you both. So if you ever need anything..."

To be honest I was a little floored. I told Kayleigh about it that night, also finally admitting what I'd overheard at Thanksgiving.

Kayleigh just smiled. "See, sweetheart? If you can win her over, what can't you do?"

"Apparently get a job."

Kayleigh laughed and kissed me on the cheek. "They're coming, don't worry."

She was right, and I started getting requests for interviews on Monday, and within three weeks I had received several offers, two of which I was actively considering. One was at a legal firm, very similar to what I'd been doing before. Good salary and benefits, a stable, no nonsense, dependable job. The other was at, well, just past a start-up, I guessed. The salary wasn't as robust, but I'd basically be their IT department. Add to that it was an environmentally responsible company, and one of the founders was a member of the LGBTQ+ community, well, it was hard to say no.

"The one at Harris and McHenry is really a lot more stable. I should take that one."

Kayleigh gave me a significant look. "Honey, why are you scared to take the one at Greencastle?"

"It's riskier. I mean, I want to, um..."

"Be able to support us?"

I shook my head. "No, um, I want you to know that I'm serious, about being here, with you. Long term."

"Bethany, I love you for thinking like that. But I already believe you. Take the job you want."

So I did, and it was the right decision. I couldn't believe my new life, Sally-free. I had friends, both at my job and Kayleigh's, and constant family commitments which I loved. I'll admit I missed Natalie and Emma, and little Ryan, but we FaceTime'd often, and met up at my parents' when we could.

I was happy, and the pain of losing Sally was fading every day.

It happened one morning, five or six months later. We'd been at a dinner party the night before at Charles and Augie's. They'd broken up the couples to play 'Codenames', and Augie and my team had trounced Charles and Kayleigh's. She argued we were cheating, and we kept up the banter all the way home.

It was after midnight by the time we crawled into bed, so we didn't even consider sex, but she snuggled into my arms like always, and it was perfect.

We separated during the night, and when I woke up I looked at the woman I loved, sleeping nearby, and a realization spread over me like the sun dawning. I just stared at her, dumbstruck with wonder, until her beautiful green eyes fluttered open.

She grinned at me. "Hey, you okay?"

I smiled at her. "Yeah, I just, I need to tell you something, but I might fumble it a little."

"Just tell me." Her face was concerned, and she took my hand under the covers.

"Okay, um, do you remember when I came banging on your door? Begging you to take me back?"

She smiled. "Yeah, I dimly recall."

"And I told you I'd choose you, choose us, always. I wanted it to be true, and I knew we needed it to be true to have any chance. And I thought it was true, or I wouldn't have come."

"But you weren't sure."

A tear broke free. "No. But I'm sure now. I wouldn't trade this for anything, not anyone, not ever. I love you, and I'll never love anyone else like I love you. And I am so sorry. Please don't be mad."

"Oh sweetheart." She kissed me, soft and tender. "I knew."

"You did?" She nodded. "Then why...?"

"Why did I take you back? Because you were trying so hard, fighting so hard for us. Because suddenly you were there, saying everything I'd ever dreamed you'd say to me." Tears were streaming down her face now. "Because walking out of your apartment that day was the hardest thing I have ever done, and I couldn't do it again."

"You won't have to, I swear."

"I know." She put her hand on my wet cheek, brushing away a tear and looking me in the eye. "I believe you, I trust you, and I love you."

My heart swelled inside my chest as I kissed her long and deep. When we broke apart, there was one and only one thing left to say.

"Kayleigh, will you marry me?"

"Yes, Bethany. Yes, I will."

*****

ONE YEAR LATER

I sat, staring at the list of names on my computer screen. I was torn. I knew what I wanted, but I wasn't sure how Kayleigh would feel about it. And if I thought Kayleigh might object, did that mean I thought, deep down, it wasn't a good idea? I gave myself an internal shake. Living with a psychologist can mess with your head. But it's worth it.

I heard a mug slide onto the table beside me, and I closed my eyes and inhaled the lovely smell of hot chocolate and whipped cream.

"Thanks, Honey."

"You're welcome." Kayleigh sat down next to me, reaching out and rubbing my shoulder. "You get your half done?"

"Almost. I just..." I shrugged, looking back at the wedding guest list. Kayleigh didn't say anything, just waiting for me to go on. "I think I want to invite Sally and Tim. It just feels wrong not to."

"Okay, that's fine."

"Are you sure? If you think it's a bad idea, I won't."

"Sweetheart, I trust you. She was a huge part of your life. If you want her there, invite her."

I nodded, turning back to the screen and adding Mr. and Mrs. Timothy and Sally Harding.

*****

I looked into the mirror, running my hands over my wedding, well, I guess it's not really a gown. I grabbed the loose, lacy overlay that covered the bottom half of my white jumpsuit style outfit and swirled it around a bit. The bodice was vertically patterned, sleeveless, rising up to an O-neck with a crossed back. I'd had to have extra support built in, but everything was lifted, and it felt good.

My hair was done up in curls, with pearls twisted in, bespeckling my brown mass. It looked like a style you might see on a period drama, and I loved it. I touched it gently, feeling the smile stretch across my face.

"Sweetheart, you look beautiful."

"Thanks, Mom." Her eyes were misty, which made me tear up as well.

"No, no." She stepped forward, pulling a tissue from her purse and dabbing my eyes. "No crying, not with your makeup done."

The door opened and closed, Natalie and Emma entering. Emma was wearing her yellow flower girl dress, and Natalie looked beautiful in green, with a twisting black and yellow sash.

"Auntie Beth, you look so pretty." There was a note of awestruck wonder in her voice. I crouched down, holding out my arms.

"Thank you, Emma. So do you." I gave her a hug, before standing and doing the same with my sister.

Natalie looked a little emotional as she spoke, but she tried to stay matter-of-fact. "I just talked to June, Kayleigh's almost ready, so we should be on time."

I grinned at her. "Thanks, Nat."

"You do look beautiful, Beth." She patted my hair and touched my shoulder, gathering herself before stepping away. "I'm going to go tell Dad it's safe to come in." She slipped out, and I turned back to the mirrors.

"Well, Kayleigh's here and dressed, so, that's a good sign, huh?" I turned to my mom, who smiled kindly.

"Did you think she wasn't going to show up?"

"No, not really. But there's always that part of you that thinks she's going to finally come to her senses and head for the hills."

Mom stepped close and put her hand on my shoulder. "Not a chance. That girl is head over heels in love with you, Bethany. And you, you just seem transformed around her. I couldn't have picked anyone better for you. You're going to both be very happy."

I embraced my mother, tears falling for both of us, makeup be damned. "Well, I had good role models."

My father entered at that moment, and my mom separated and looked over my face. She took a moment to touch me up, as my dad told me how wonderful I looked, and shed a few tears of his own.

A few moments later Augie, who was, of course, coordinating the whole thing, poked his head in. "Bethany? We're ready."

I looked at my parents, who had their arms around each other, looking at me fondly. "Well, I guess it's time to get married." I was shaking with excitement.

June O'Malley spread her arms as I approached the sanctuary doors. "Oh, Bethany." She gave me a hug. "You're just a vision."

"Thanks, Mom." The novelty of calling the smaller woman 'Mom' had faded over the last year, but it was still an honor to be accepted into their family like I had been. Stephen and Sung-Ho echoed her sentiments, and I smiled at my new brothers.

June took her son's arm, and Stephen led her into the sanctuary. Sung-Ho did the same for my mother, seating her in the front row on the left. Next came our passel of flower girls and ring bearers, all our nieces and nephews, with the older ones shepherding the younger ones along. Even little Ryan, now over eighteen months old, toddled along next to his very protective and helpful sister.

Our bridesmaids entered one at a time, Monica and Natalie separating to the left, Heather and Molly on the right.

My hand tightened over my father's as I took a deep breath.

He patted my arm. "Honey, it's going to be fine. Just keep walking forward."

I smiled at him before smoothing out my elegant, loose white slacks one more time. "Thanks, Daddy."

"I love you, baby girl. Let's do this." He nodded toward the sanctuary in front of us, and I signaled Augie I was ready. The doors swung open, and I entered as the congregation stood. My gaze traveled over the assembly, coming to rest on a beautiful blonde face about halfway down. Sally smiled ear to ear as our eyes met. I was happy to see her. Part of me expected that familiar spike of fear, pain, or regret, but it didn't come.