Warmth of a Mid Autumn Night

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Not a problem, Sir. I will be back quickly."

"Here you are, Sir. A refill and a glass of water. Is there anything else I can get you?"

"I do not suppose you have some steamed or sauteed vegetables?"

"Yes, we do. Any type in particular, Sir?"

"It would be nice to have a medley, but if not then some cabbage or squash will do."

"Yes, Sir. I will be right back with your vegetables."

Liquor to warm my inside and some hot food after a long ride in this cold weather is comforting. All I need is a good night's sleep.

"Here are your vegetables, Sir. Anything else I can get you?"

"No. Thank you for bringing out good food."

"Ahhh... You are too kind, Sir. We offer hearty food for the working class. The food does not always look pretty, but we can guarantee it will fill you up. Enjoy your meal, Sir."

"Thank you."

The food is not art work on a plate, but it does fill me up. It is not often I get to eat fried food at home. Humbly always likes to keep our diet within order so that we will not have any clogged arteries. I guess spending time away from him means I can be a little devil and eat some food he would turn his nose up on. But I know not to over do that since it will get the best of me quickly.

As I change into my pajamas, I was thinking if I should read or think of Gracie till I fall asleep. I will leave that up to the coins. Heads, I should read. Tails I will think of Gracie.

Well it looks to me that the stars want me to read. All four coins came out heads. Now where is that magazine of mine?

I wish the pub had these recipes. Far healthier than what I had indulged on. Ahh, here is the story. I hope this does not give me any nightmares.

Chapter 11 ==== Mystery by R.J.P.

This should be a good story. I had met R.J. over a year ago. He has some good ratings by the staff at the company.

Lost From Within the Hidden Walls by R.J. Packrollingtaff

The grand library owned by Lord Tabernathiley is one of many grand rooms on his estate. He has a staff of 20 to keep his place in pristine condition. Before he had bought the place over 25 years ago, the property owner told him of the story about the walls of the library. He thought the owner was joking with him and did not think much of it. His staff on the other hand found out the hard way since he never told them the story. He did this to keep them from causing any unwanted scenarios.

After enough unfortunate events, he had called for my service. I am known to crack the case, but I keep my name on a low profile. One day, Lord Tabernathiley had one of his butlers pick me up from my office and said he will pay any price and let me take as long as I like to figure out the chain of unfortunate events.

"Mr. Rumknackfort, this is Lord Tabernathiley, the lord of the estate."

"How do you do, Lord Tabernathiley?

I am Detective Sheldon Rumknackfort."

"Thank you for coming Mr. Rumknackfort. Please come in to my study. We need to speak in private. Bentley, bring us some tea and make sure we are left uninterupted."

"Yes, Sir."

In his study that day, he told me of the unfortunate incidents that were hard to believe and about the story he was told about the grand library. This was about three months ago going on four. He gave me free reign to look around the estate. Every where except his private quarter and study room.

I had interviewed each staff member one by one over and over again. None of them seem to be mentally unstable in any way. There is not any mistreatment from Lord Tabernathiley himself. He did tell me to not tell the story to the staff so that they would not over react.

The usual part is that the people are missing, but they are never found. There is never a trail of blood or any foot prints leading to any where. Not a single dog could sniff out who is guilty of anything. Nobody hears anything unusual at any time of the day or night. There is not a single note left behind.

If this is done by a serial killer, there usually is some sort of pattern or sign, but none exist. There is never a note of ransom so it is not done by common crooks. Since every staff member has to remain professional, it is difficult for them to tell if the other one is out of line in any way. It is as if they do not show any signs of reaching towards the edge ready to fall.

There are not any enemies and nobody can figure out why staff members would go missing all of a sudden. If they want to leave, they can. But usually people who leave take their belongings with them. Since the town is small enough, anyone leaving would be usually seen by someone.

Since I have been living on the estate and getting involved with all the lives of the staff, hearing all the gossip and hiding myself in different places, I am able to get a better idea of what they go through on a daily basis. What ever emotions they go through is heard or seen sooner or later. I could give advice as much as stay out of matters. Lord Tabernathiley had made me part of his staff so that I could have a better idea of what goes on with everyone.

I do not have a personal assistant, but I make every staff member be involved even though they do not know what they are trying to do for me. It is a little difficult to figure some things out since they are all different and I have to approach them in a different manner to get the work done. I also have to keep in mind who is upset at who and who is in love with who too.

Even though I have free reign to any part of the estate, he did warn me to stay away from the library walls as much as I can. He is not sure which one, but one of them is doing something that we both find bizarre. Even he is too afraid to even go find a book. He either has his staff look for it or he attains them else where. Ever since all this had happened, he had created a small library next to his study.

There are carved writings on a particular wall that Lord Tabernathiley covered up with a painting. But it is not in English and the previous owner gave him the translation.

The wall does not discriminate against any age, gender, color or creed

All are warned of the consequences for a heart of vengeance and greed

Any one who does not find fairness on this side

Shall find what they seek of a place this wall hides

Take heed of my words before you give yourself away

What you seek shall be your last and final day

The previous owner did mention further that the walls only open to the ones with a heart of vengeance and greed. If one was free of that then the walls will not open. It only senses the ones who are seeking revenge and those who will do anything to feed their greed.

We have to acknowledge that some seek blood and wealth, but that does not mean they would necessarily speak of it or show that on the outside. This would mean that any staff member that had ever disappeared within these walls were not free of tainted thoughts deep inside their hearts. What they had wanted desperately led them to their demise.

I had came up with a plan to test my theory with the help of Lord Tabernathiley and the librarian. Old Mr. Biltdeersomer has been a long and devoted worker of the estate. He takes pride in preserving history and every book in the library. Nothing is of higher priority than to guard the books of old as if his life depended on it. He is the only one that walks around the library the most, but has never been taken away by the wall.

All three of us had decided to set up a trap for any staff member who was wanting more than they could handle. We had Mr. Biltdeersomer keep an eye on anyone that comes into the library. Then we create a note to look old and hidden behind a panel that could be easily found by anyone cleaning the place. A single note would not do. We made several so we can see how many are willing to follow the trail. It would become a game for them.

What would separate the ones of greed and not starts at the very first note. The note would tell them that they can have the whole estate to themselves, but it would mean leaving the current lord of the estate to be in his own pool of blood. If that is worth it to the greedy ones then they would proceed to look for the other notes. Anyone with a conscience would not want that to happen.

Sure enough, someone showed up to look for those notes one by one. It was Mason who is the youngest of the male staff. He had the duty of dusting off every piece of furniture, decor and shelf in every room. Something he must hate since he had to earn his titles to move up and hardly get to see Lord Tabernathiley much less be able to converse with him and have a better understanding of his character.

To be continued...

Well that is enough reading for tonight. I need to sleep and wake up early in the morning if I want to see Frederick before the sun sets.

Chapter 12 ==== Reminiscing the Younger Years

The morning started off with a drizzle of rain that soon went away by the afternoon. I was wrapped up in my cape and covered my legs with a blanket. I think to myself if I feel warm when I am covered in layers of fabric when someone is absent.

I try to enjoy some of the finer things in life one bite at a time. The salami and semi-hard cheese definitely made my mouth smile. It was nice of Humbly to also pack some Walnut and sultana bread for me too. If only I have some hot tea instead of this cold one stored in a canteen.

These long trips will eventually to be too much for me to handle. I need to start choosing a select few in my company and have them make the trips instead. The long journey is not enjoyable without a companion. But I could not think of putting Gracie through this inconvenience. I rather her be safe at home.

Then I think about her wanting to join me. Do I want to subject her to these conditions?

I would not mind if it is a short trip. Any place that can be seen within a day would not be an issue. Anything longer than that and I worry about her safety and well being. Is it wrong of me to ask her to stay home in that case?

She is free to go to the local stores and attend any events that she likes while I am away on business. At least she would be close to home and have help from her maid. If she needs medicine or needs to see a doctor, they are easily accessible. On a road trip, there are a lot of inconveniences. I do not want to see her uncomfortable in any way. Is it wrong to let her enjoy the comforts in life?

Unless some consider riding in a bumpy carriage to see the country side from the window enjoyable, it is less than comfortable for many. It is also dangerous when there are not that many people around either. If anything major is to happen, it would be very difficult to get back on track. There must be a better way to travel through the country side. I would invest heavily on trains if I could. Maybe I can ask the readers of my magazine to share their thoughts.

The sun is ready to set beyond the hills. How beautiful it is to see the red and golden shades waving to the trees and the vast field of flowers before the moon shines upon them. I can see Waldenleigh in the distance.

"It would not be long till we reach town, Sir."

"Yes. I see that. We can make it there in time for dinner."

Although I do not know what Frederick has in mind. We can be dining in at his place. He does know how to make a few, hearty and delicious dishes. Either way, we will be drinking the night away and think back on old times.

We were so much more care free back then. I have more now than I did then, but not nearly as alive and full of energy. In some way it is almost as if many people trade in their youth and energy for something they think is better. Is it really better if we think back on our earlier years wanting to recapture something?

Once we trade in our youth and care free spirit, it is a permanent matter. There is not any switching back. One can only try to switch it or incorporate it some how into the less free life style, but it is never the same. Even if the physical body has all the energy to keep up with the lively spirit, we may not be able to think the same way as before. The mentality changes because we go through different experiences that make us change. It is not a matter of changing for the better or worse, but the idea change has occured and it makes us look at everything in a different way.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if Frederick did not move and we were closer together over the years. Does that give us a more peace of mind to have someone at hand to talk to or more pressure to walk a certain way?

We were the most unlikely candidates at the country club to play jokes on anyone, but we had managed to pull the wool over many people's eyes one, Spring day. The goal was to tape a long piece of thread on the back of the club members' shoes. Who ever could tape the most shoes within the hour without getting caught was the winner. It is similar to the idea of having tissue paper stuck to the bottom of the shoe except it is less noticeable which made it more easy to stick on the shoes. But because the were thin thread, it made it a little more difficult too. We did a lot of "tying our shoe laces" that day.

Then we had those contests of out drinking one another to see who had a better tolerance and bladder. Then there was the game between a few of us where we all tried to see if the same woman will want to go out with any one of us. Who ever she chose was considered the better charmer. When it was between Frederick and I, it was usually me who won.

When we were in our later teenage years, there was a local festival. One of the contests was to see who can eat the most English Walnut pies in 12 minutes. Neither of us won, but Frederick got more in him than I did and he did not want to see another sweet pie for months after that. I could see why eating pies in moderation was important. Did not feel too good for a few days and could not look at Walnuts for a while.

One Winter in our early 20's, it was freezing outside. Some of our colleagues were wanting to do something to celebrate the season in a pig fashion. We had decided to eat Uncle Walt's famous bread pudding. Anyone who can finish the whole dish first was the winner. His bread pudding was well known in town and what made this contest a little more difficult was that there was more rum soaked into the pudding than usual. Even the rum sauce had a higher alcohol content than usual.

We were half way through the dish and felt sick. Instead of continuing on, we threw in the fork. It was not worth it to eat any more in a single sitting. When Joel won, it was not a surprise since he always had a healthy appetite. You could see his stomach flopping after a meal. Since then, we had vowed not to engage in any more of the eating contests.

He would always beat me in a race and wrestling. I would feel sorry for any chap who would want to mess with him one on one with or without anything at hand to use. When it comes to fencing, we have our shares of winning. In archery, he would not fair too well since his vision has taken a turn a few years ago. He does enjoy horse riding more than I do. I doubt that we would be doing that this time around in such chilly weather.

"We have arrived, Sir."

"Wonderful."

I wish that I had brought a horn with me. We would blow them as kids in the forest as a way to find out where one another was hiding. It was a different version of Hide and Seek.

The driver gave a knock on the corner house. Then I heard the foot steps coming closer and closer to the door.

"Yes?"

"Frederick!"

"Leo?!"

"Who else could it be, you silly goose?"

"Stop calling me that. I do not goose step around town."

"Well you were expecting me to come by carriage, yes?"

"Yes."

"Well here I am. Did you want me to disguise as a messenger?"

"No, but you did a good job of that one time."

"Yes. It was funny to fool Mrs. Banterose."

"You came a little earlier than I had expected."

"Well I did not want to show up too late in the evening."

"Come in. Make yourself at home."

"Thank you. Now that I have everything in, I can send the driver on his way."

Some of my worries melted away when I saw Frederick's face light up. Time stands still when we are together.

Chapter 13 ==== The Memories Flood In

The smell of sweet pastry fills the air in his house when I came in. It was a warm, mellow scent that I could not resist sniffing all about.

"You have made some strudel, Frederick?"

"Yes. It is a pear and sultana strudel with rum sauce. I think you will look forward to that."

"Indeed, I will. To the kitchen!"

"Hold on. You are not going to the kitchen yet. Let me show you to your room and help you unpack first."

"You have brought many bags on your trip."

"Yes. There is one bag full of treats for you."

"Oh, I can not wait to see what they are."

"I am sure you will like what Humbly has made for you too. He sends his well wishes to you."

"Humbly is always kind. How is he doing?"

"He is doing well. I think he will enjoy his time off with me away from the manor."

"It looks to me that he had packed everything except the bed for you. Wool blanket, cape, long socks, earmuffs and hats. I am surprised he did not pack some extra gloves for you."

"Well you know how he likes to make sure everything is in order. It would be bad if I become ill during my trip. He would not forgive himself if that happens."

"Now that we have everything in order, let us go to the kitchen and savor a nice meal."

"You have made me dinner?"

"Yes. I had the butcher prepare two different types of sausages for me yesterday. Since I have forgotten to buy some cabbage, I could not make the colcannon. You will have to settle for some whipped potatoes with a Merlot gravy."

"That sounds lovely. A nice, hearty meal to end the evening."

"I have also made a Butternut and carrot soup. It should warm you up nicely."

"Indeed it will. Any dinner rolls?"

"Yes. They are staying warm in the oven. Glass of port?"

"Yes, thank you. You always had good taste for port."

"Bad port can ruin a meal before you even take the first bite."

"True indeed."

"Unfortunately, I am low on butter. You would have to get it from the soup."

"Hahaha... The rolls will taste good dipped in the soup and the gravy."

"I have used most of it to make the strudel."

"I am claiming all of the strudel."

"No you will not! I am entitled to half of it."

"Hahaha... I think you have softened up a bit. You use to claim the whole item."

"Well I am only sharing it with you. If it was anyone else, I would claim it all."

"Ahh yes. You always have that warrior in you. Nobody takes something from your hand and gets away with it."

"You have got that right. I do not take any prisoners."

"I have brought you a few bottles of wine. They are pretty good. Full body, right amount of spice and rich in flavor."

"Thank you. I will look forward to drinking them. How was your trip?"

"Aside from the chilly air and bumpy ride, it had been a smooth trip. Not anything to cause delays and thank goodness there was not any swindlers."

"How are you doing?"

"I am doing alright. Business is same as usual. You will be taking home some new salami. I have been experimenting with different spices at the shop for a while and the locals seem to like it."

"You always get to wake up and smell the cured meat. Sometimes I think of doing that instead of managing a magazine. But then the idea of looking at all that meat does not appeal to me."

"It is not that bad. I get more time to myself when I let the meat age. Well almost more time. It depends if the staff are on schedule."

"Mmm... This is delicious."

"I am glad you like it."

"It is a nice, simple meal with good company. Nothing too fancy or too rustic. The soup and rolls would be delicious for breakfast."

1...345678