Warmth of a Mid Autumn Night

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We may have enough left over to make that happen. Are you all warm now?"

"Yes, I am. I will sleep with a smile on my face after such a nice meal."

"I am glad to hear that, Leo. Will this be a long night or do you have to get up early?"

"I do not have to be up early, but I do need to meet Miss Sidney-Haldonot for lunch. It would be nice if you can join me. I am interviewing her to see if she is the type of writer we want for the magazine in this area."

"That will be nice. Have you read her work?"

"Yes. I have brought some of it with me. You can read some of it if you like."

"Tales of the Lunipilfords by April Lillian Sidney-Haldonot. Sounds mysterious. I may read that before bed time."

"Sometimes I want to stay here a little longer."

"Why not stay a little longer this time?"

"I do not want to worry Humbly and I worry about the weather. You know how it can become quite rainy or too frigid all of a sudden."

"Why do we not play by ear this time?"

"You mean go with what seems fit when the time comes?"

"Yes. You do not have to rush yourself all the time. We can contact Humbly so that he will not have to worry so much."

"We will see. As much as I would like to indulge more on those light, whipped potatoes with the Merlot gravy, I need to save room for that strudel."

"You will enjoy it. Please have a seat in the guest room. I will be there shortly. Help yourself to the drink of your choice."

"Thank you. I can stay warm next to the fire."

If there is ever a home away from home or a second home, it would be at Frederick's place. He knows me almost as well as Humbly. They both know how to make me feel at home. There are quite a bit of memories staying with Frederick. I always look forward to visiting him and sharing meals together. We did this even when we were young and lived in the same town.

"Here is your strudel with rum sauce. I have also brought some cheese and fruit too."

"Oh I can not wait to taste the strudel. I will eat it in a minute. This pear brandy is delightful. Is it sold locally?"

"Not exactly. I had to ask the shop owner to order it for me."

"I see. When I get home, I need to tell Humbly to order that for me too. It is quite addictive."

"Yes, it can be. I think it will compliment the strudel well."

"Do you remember the time when we were running in the rain trying to catch Figaro?"

"Yes. We both had a cold after that. Lucky for Figaro, he did not get sick."

"Yes. Crazy horse. I think the name Wild Flame would be more suituable. He did have his odd temper from time to time."

Frederick sat next to me on the sofa and talked for a few hours before turning in for the night. We were sharing old memories as usual. Sometimes it feels as if our heads are as white as the snowflakes we see from the window. On one hand, it is as time does not exist. On the other it is as if we have known one another for centuries.

I put out the outfit that I intend to wear for lunch on the chair before changing into my pajamas. For a moment, I was thinking about Gracie. I did not think about her since I had set foot into Frederick's house. Maybe it would be good for me not to think about her that much during my trip.

Chapter 14 ==== Lunch at Otto's Gut Essen Haus

Frederick and I did not wake up too early and had a small breakfast. Then we were off to the local market looking for fresh meat and produce. He wanted to make an Alsatian Baeckeoffe for dinner with a creamy casserole. The beef had to be marinated so this was the best time to prepare that.

"I can not wait till lunch time. My mouth is watering at the thought of eating at Uncle Otto's place."

"Yes, it is always a place to look forward to when I come to town. I am glad that Miss Sidney-Haldonot had agreed to meet us there."

Since Frederick owned a deli and Uncle Otto owns a restaurant, the locals can enjoy some of Frederick's cured meats at Otto's restaurant. He had learned old family recipes from Opa who has been living in Bavaria all his life.

Uncle Otto saw an opportunity to introduce his cultural cuisine in Waldenleigh since there was not any restaurant around to serve the food he grew up on. Even though Frederick did not want to leave the town we grew up in, he also saw a business opportunity.

"How is life in matters of the heart?"

"It is empty for now. I am not looking for anyone. If it is meant to be then I will come across someone much better than my previous relationships."

"Yes, I hope so. It was not right for Gunther to pack his bags and leave you all of a sudden. I think he was after more than a good job."

"At least it was not too long of a relationship. We were bonding well in the first year. Then in the second year, we were slowly drifting apart. He was interested in adventure and excitement. I was the predictable one. Maybe I should be more open to different experiences. I guess that young spirit of mine left me ever since I have opened my shop."

"You need not worry about that. Be yourself. If you can not be comfortable with yourself then what good is that?"

"Quite true. Pick out the bread you like to eat tonight."

"Ahh, the smell of fresh bread. Since we are having an Alsatian beef stew, I think that a more firm and crusty bread would be good. Ohh... This loaf with melted Asiago on top looks perfect. They are having a special on these onion corn muffins. Would you like to try that?"

"Sure. It will be something different to enjoy. All it needs is a pat of butter. The aroma is intoxicating."

"You need to stock up on some butter."

"Yes. I will buy a few blocks this time. Is there any other food you would like to eat for breakfast?"

"Hmm... Scones, crumpets, tea biscuits and some Assam tea. Armagnac fruit preserve sounds good too."

"I think we have quite a bit in our basket. Remind me to buy some Riesling at the wine shop."

"Indeed I will. The wine shop is almost a candy store for adults."

After stopping by the wine shop on our way back to his place, Frederick and I were quickly preparing for tonight's dinner. I was definitely looking forward to it.

"What do you plan to do with the pumpkin, Frederick?"

"I will make pumpkin and potato soup tomorrow. Could you please open the bottle of Riesling?"

"Yes. Will you be using all of it to marinate the beef or will you be indulging in a glass?"

"The whole bottle will be used for this recipe. We will have plenty of good beer to drink at Uncle Otto's place."

"Ahh yes. I am looking forward to the wheat lager. We should hurry up and go. I want to be there before the novelist shows up."

Since we were in some what of a hurry, we had to catch a carriage ride rather than walk. We were there in time before the place became crowded. It is common for the place to be more crowded for lunch than dinner.

As usual, the old staff was there to take care of us. Some of them are from Otto's home town. Gretchen had greeted us with a warm smile and her heavy accent and seated us in the corner for more privacy.

"Willkommen! It is wonderful to see you again, Leo. Alles gut? Ja?"

"Ja. How are you, Gretchen?"

"I am gut. Do you want to start with your usual beer?"

"Yes, please."

"I will have my usual too. Is Uncle Otto busy in the kitchen?"

"I am not sure. Let me check."

When Gretchen came back with our beer, he told Frederick that Uncle Otto will be out when he is free. I also told her that a lady will be joining us too.

"Great memories we have here, Frederick."

"Ja. How is your beer?"

"It is delicious as usual. I think that is Miss Sidney-Haldonot at the door."

When she was at the table, we had exchanged greetings. She had insisted that we call her April so that it would be more casual than formal. Then we were all ready to order after looking at the menu for a few minutes. Frederick then raised his hand to get Gretchen's attention.

"Ja. Are you ready to order?"

"Yes, we are."

Frederick had ordered the Schweinebraten, Kartoffelknödel and Rotkohl. April had decided on the Bofflamot with steamed vegetables and Kartoffelkratzet. I was interested to try the Fränkischer Sauerbraten, honey kraut and Kartoffelkratzet.

Gretchen did bring out a salad bowl for us to share and told us that Uncle Otto is making something special for us before our main course is out.

"The salad looks great. You are fortunate to have an uncle that owns a restaurant, Frederick."

"Well I do not always eat here, but I am glad that there is someone else cooking besides me."

After finishing our salad, Gretchen brought out some Gebundene Ochsenschwanzsuppe. It brings back wonderful memories. It is usually served for special occasions such as the Winter holiday. I could smell the hint of Madeira wine in the soup.

"This soup is fabulous. I never had such a soup before. Compliments to the chef."

"You will have a chance to meet the chef later, April. He knows his way around the kitchen quite well."

"I had told Uncle Otto that you were visiting and he wanted to make something special for you."

"How thoughtful of him. I definitely appreciate the delicious soup. This could be a meal all by itself. I wish Humbly would make this."

"Did you and Frederick go to the same university?"

"Yes, we did. I had majored in business and he was interested in the arts. How about you?"

"I had studied literature and arts at a local college near my home town. It was interesting to meet others that shared the same interest since I grew up with very few people that would care much for such topics. I did not attend parties very much, but I did have some interesting nights."

"What had brought you to Waldenleigh and writing?"

"The company I was working for wanted to branch out and have another office. Since they like my work performance, they were willing to help me move to the new office if I was interested in keeping the same position. It was my chance to move away from my area to a place that is bigger and more exciting.

As for writing, I had started writing short stories for the college gazette. Afterwards, I had always felt a need to write. It allows me to be creative and writing stories makes me feel alive. I have the freedom to create all these interesting characters in different scenarios in my stories that are entertaining to others."

"When you saw the chance to enter in a writing competition that could land you a column of your own in a magazine, you did not hesitate to give that a chance?"

"That is right. I am glad to have a chance to meet you, Mr. Devoncaster. My stories in your magazine would help boost my writing career. I would be forever grateful."

"Well I would need to discuss the matter with my staff when I get back home. But so far, I like your work and I can see you work out for the magazine. You should be hearing from the senior editor next week."

"Thank you, Sir. I will do my best if you hire me."

We did not discuss any business during our lunch. It was more about being better aquainted with April, how she came around to writing stories and having an idea of her character. Her stories were discussed afterwards when we were waiting on dessert.

"Excuse me for a moment. I had a bit too much lager. Please keep her company while I am gone, Frederick."

"Not a problem, Leo."

Since the place was packed and there was a line to relieve the bladder, it was a little while before I was able to get back to the table. Then told Frederick that he may need to wait a bit if he needs to go.

About half an hour later when majority of the guests had left, Uncle Otto came out with his special torte for us to drool over.

"Hallo, Leo! It is nice to see you. Ja."

"It is nice to see you too, Uncle Otto. You have been working hard back there."

"Ja. It is the life of a chef. How was the meal?"

"It was wonderful. We all love the soup and the homemade dishes."

"Yes. It was a delightful meal. One of the best that I have ever had. I will definitely come here more often."

"Danke. Fräulein is too kind. I only want to share the food that I grew up on. Ja. Please enjoy yourselves. Gretchen, bring everyone some of my favorite brandy."

After Uncle Otto left to go back to the kitchen, Frederick had to excuse himself and left me alone with April. She had asked me if it was alright that we meet tonight at her place with Frederick for a few drinks. Since she was good company, I was thinking what would it hurt to spend a little more time together?

"Since Frederick had agreed to this too then we will meet you tonight after dinner."

After Frederick came back, we all sat there to enjoy dessert and our brandy before departing. Frederick and I got on another carriage and headed back to his place for a nap.

Chapter 15 ==== Dessert and Drinks with April

After our nap, Frederick did not waste a moment to start cooking dinner. We could not have it as late since we have agreed to meet April afterwards.

"I would not eat too much tonight if I was you, Leo."

"Oh?"

"Trust me. We need to save room for dessert and wine at April's place."

"I am definitely looking forward to dessert."

"I do not recall you being this excited about dessert before. What is she serving?"

"I will keep that a surprise. It will be a long night though. I suggest you take a bath after dinner so that when we come back from her place, we can slip into bed without a second thought. We will be that tired I am sure."

"What do you think of April?"

"She is nice."

"Nice? Anything else?"

"She is intelligent and full of life. What are you wanting me to say?"

"Do you fancy her in a more intimate way?"

"You do realize that I am seeing Gracie?"

"Yes, but you are not engaged to her. You are free to see others if you like and do as you please when you are out of town."

"Well I would feel a bit awkward to be intimate with someone I hardly know. Do you fancy her?"

"It is more of her that fancies me."

"You little devil. You were putting on your charms while I was away from the table."

"I did not do anything. She had her eyes on me the whole time. Could you please pass me the bottle of Chardonnay?"

"What are you trying to make?"

"Broccoli and cheese casserole. I know you can not resist a creamy dish. Do not eat too much of it though. You do not want to be sluggish for tonight. It will make a delicious left over."

"Do we need to bring something?"

"No. She has everything. But I would like to bring her a bottle of Moscato for her hospitality."

"Sounds good."

"Dinner will be ready in 30 to 40 minutes. Go to the guest room and have a drink."

As I head to the guest room, I could not help to wonder what April and Frederick were up to. They must have something planned. He came to the guest room a few minutes later.

"Do you have intimate thoughts about Gracie?"

"Umm..."

"Come now. We share everything together. Do not tell me that you have been seeing her this long and not have a single thought of intimacy."

"Well I have. Why do you ask?"

"Do you not feel a need to go off some where and release all your energy on someone?

It must be difficult for you to see her and not think of wanting to do more than kiss her cheeks and hold her hands."

"I am trying to hold back my intimate desires. She will find out how much I love her on our honeymoon."

"You still have not asked her yet?"

"No. I could never find the moment fitting enough. Before I left town, she was not too happy with my questions."

"What did you ask her?"

"I was wanting to know how she would feel if either one of us had an affair in the future. She could not see herself doing that and thought I would have an affair or that I could even think of her having an affair. It does not sound right to bring up such a topic, but that possibility is there. I only want to know how we would both handle it. It is not as if I want to do that to her, but it is possible we can grow apart in the future. Not every marriage is perfect."

"I can see your concern. It is a difficult matter to think about. You think she will forgive you when you are back home?"

"Not sure. I hope so. It would be sad if that is how our relationship ends. I hope her maid could see this in a different light and help her look at it in another angle."

After dinner, we had both cleaned up and went to April's place. I was more on the quiet side during our carriage ride. My hope is that Gracie forgives me. Then I have thought about how I would handle not being able to see her again if she does decide to end the relationship.

"Here we are. 724 Ardenhill Street."

"You want to hold the flowers while I hold the wine?"

"Sure. You knock. I am a bit nervous."

"There is nothing to be nervous about. We are here to relax and enjoy a few drinks."

"Hello, Fredrick and Leo! I am glad to see you both. Please come in. Make yourself comfortable."

"This is a charming place you have here. You live here by yourself?"

"Thank you. The house belonged to my late Aunt Gertrude. She was the one that let me live here when I had transferred to the new office. She gave this house to me before she had passed away. Please have a seat any where."

"We have brought you a bottle of wine."

"Thank you very much. You did not have to do that. I will look forward to drinking it."

"Let me get the dessert in the kitchen. Please make yourselves at home."

"Are you still nervous, Leo?"

"A little. I can not get over the idea of Gracie being upset at me. Am I wrong to create future scenarios to know where we would stand now and later?"

"No, you are not wrong. It is a little difficult to take in the idea of either one having an affair though. Maybe it would help if you ask another woman's opinion about the matter."

"You think that is a good idea?"

"It would not hurt to ask. April is a level-headed person. I am sure she could give a reasonable insight on this matter."

"I am sorry to keep you two waiting. Here is some rum cake that I had made not too long ago. I hope you like it."

"You did not have to go through the trouble of making us cake. It smells wonderful."

"It is the least that I could do since you nice gentlemen have treated me to a memorable lunch. I can not wait to take my friends to Otto's place."

"Well I am glad that you have enjoyed it. Uncle Otto does put his heart into every dish he makes. He does not want to misrepresent his family or culture. A proud Bavarian he is."

"I must stop by your deli sometimes to try your salami. You must know how to make the best sandwiches."

"Well it is a matter of personal taste. I do experiment with the different cuts of meat. It would be lovely to see you at my shop. Do not be a stranger. Come at least once a week. I usually try to make different sandwiches each week. Every month, there is a different type of cured meat."

"Your kitchen is a meat lover's lab sensation."

"We also offer the side dishes too from the pickled vegetables to the potato salad and more. I am glad there is a baker at Uncle Otto's restaurant who makes plenty of bread each day for my shop and his place."

"People can sit down to have lunch at your shop."

"Not really. There are only two tables and four chairs. It is mainly designed for take out."

"Are you alright, Leo?"

"Yes. I am alright. The cake is very good."

"Please help yourself to some more. More wine?"

"Yes, please. Thank you."

"April, we would like your opinion over a certain topic. Please think about it for a moment and give us your honest opinion. Suppose you are in a serious relationship. The one whom you are seeing asks you if there is an affair in the future after marriage from either side, but realizes that it is best to stay with the spouse after the unfortunate incident, how would you respond?"

"Hmm... This will require a bit of thought."

"Please take your time."

1...345678