What it Takes Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There have been some theories, and such named because it is sustained with evidence if not yet proven physically... that these aggressors have help from the authorities. It seems that they know to target people who have done some sort of perceived harm."

"Still, that is vigilantism and reprehensible behavior. Taking the law in their own hands with no concern for due process."

Jack did not want to listen to this further. Sensation still drove the news and they tried to get outrage. As far as he was concerned, the purge had some value to it and the guy was not an absolute monster. Kids started to call on him for help and he saw plentiful videos showing that the Outsider could have a tempered heart to not resort to violence. If a book he read taught him something, it is that children have a much better understanding of what makes a monster. And a figure looking like death itself can seem harmless to them while the vision of decency can be seen as nothing but a dark heart wearing armani.

There was a temptation to message Eva, but he'd give her the time for now and focus a bit on work, music engaged as he tried to see what the guys did to the database today. That system fired off more errors than it could be healthy to function with. Maybe one day that alien fortune system can be applied to such ideas and they could finally hear him out to make a new infrastructure.

It did not work. The man found himself thinking back to the girl for plentiful reasons. Not just for his opportunity to bang, but for... her. She had a way of going about things that was almost refreshing. For all his life, women seemed driven by such alien notions that men could just not comprehend them. And yet now he could understand a girl. And talk to her. And be honest with her as she does not go mad once he does so. None of that "go ahead but if you do I'm pissed". Heck, he might almost consider her a guy in thought. Almost. There was a clear feeling of a woman in there. Or else he might just go after men.

Felt like forever until lunchtime arrived. Today he would get a nice order of pizza from that place that had extremely weird options but the carnivore one was for him. And as he waited... a few more messages were exchanged. Despite his feelings, the man tried to reign in his lusty desires for the girl.

"Doing okay today?"

A pause before she managed the time to answer.

"I should be asking you that. Doing fine. Work. Had a Karen earlier but boss handled her."

"My condolences. And I'm doing okay."

"Call bluff. You sure? Come oooon. Be honest."

"If I'm gonna be honest I might freak you out."

"You're not the first guy to think all about me for several days."

That made him pause like she could read his mind. But now that it was out... honesty. Refreshing.

"Damn. Yeah, excuse the instincts. Everything's telling me to dream about life together and that. Gonna go away."

"Yeah, I know how it goes. Such is the time. Trying to do better. But we still clear on just friends with benefits, yeah?"

"I get it. You're gonna go see another guy. It's your choice, got no right to it." A pause before he sent another message. "How is it with most guys? I mean, as an appraisal."

"Some are so damn desperate they can risk a lot to get their dick wet on the first date if I'm offering. Others... cool. I'm having a second meeting with one I met last week tomorrow. Damn guy never had any. Feels like virgin breaker should be a job around here."

"If the next president makes that a job, he has my vote. Well, have fun. Let me know if he's being awkward and you need some backup."

"Awww, how sweet. But I don't need backup. And hopefully you won't linger around to watch me."

Jack managed to get that it was not an offense aimed at him, but...

"Some guys in the past did not get the message, did they?"

"Nah. They try to claim me and such. One guy tried to sabotage these things so I could only have fun with him. Shut him up quick."

"That is not cool at all."

"Literal abuser behavior. Yeah, sometimes guys in this type have it in them as well, just no one lets them. And no one teaches them not to. Truth is that good guys are pretty rare as well."

"But most lump us with them and don't give a chance."

"Right back at you. Where do you think your whole fear of women is coming from?"

"Fair indeed." He had to smile at that. Each side had their issues. "Alright, bothered you enough and my food got here. Have a tolerable day at work."

He expected that to be all, maybe getting just a final farewell from her. But as the man received his delivery, his phone chimed again, though he checked it only after the box was opened for the greasy and sinful meal to waft the smell of meat in his kitchen.

"Watcha having?" Her message was followed by an emoticon that looked... eager.

"Carnivore pizza. Bacon, salami and prosciutto. Though I also asked they put in mushrooms."

"Now I'm hungry. Gonna go take my lunch break as well. Enjoy!"

He decided to send her a picture of it as well as his reassurance that he will. That drooling emoji was showing that the girl had to be fed. It was nice to know she was an adept of equality and as such paid for her own food. There was still the occasional laugh at such extremes entitled women got to. Some believed they did not need to pay anywhere they went. Obviously it ended badly for them.

This week would clearly grind by painfully slow. He needed a distraction. Following her advice to find something else to really be a place he could talk... the man considered looking for clubs. No, not night clubs or sports clubs or... okay, that is literally just a pyramid scheme. And then he found something that looked promising. And it just so happens that he found it today of all days. Best check it up solo before inviting her... but maybe it had potential.

And just to reserve the slot, the boy asked her if they could meet next week on thursday.

*

The curse of working a service job was having to work on a weekend. The benefit was more pay for it. The floating coffee prices were unpopular with clients, but maybe it can slowly incentivize them not having to be open on a fucking saturday. Still, Eva was here in her uniform of dark brown apron with black shirt. Thankfully she did not have to wear a stupid hat.

It was quiet in here, as most migrated to other places in search of cheaper coffee. She was fine with that as it meant the girl could just whittle away her shift as Eva got mad at people being stupid somewhere else and the internet offering her the means to find out such things. And her boss was cool with this waste of time. Though it was a mystery on why they did not just close shop on saturday yet.

She welcomed a break, though the steps of her co-worker were not heard as this compilation was particularly riling the girl up. Only the voice made the slightly older women look up as the video was paused.

"I am a bit mad at you. Why didn't you tell me?!"

Carmen was just a year younger but looked older. A much more toned and slim body with extra inches of height. She was the type for guys looking for an adventure. To others she might be exhausting. The slightly tan woman stood before Eva in the identical uniform, clearly eager to engage in a bit of girl talk... about one particular subject. A sigh as the girl did not want this spread around yet, but Jasmine found out and from her... everyone.

"Well, I want to make sure that it's going somewhere before you all start planning a wedding." There was a bit of sarcasm in there.

"Pfft. Girl, you know that if you want to find out more, there is more."

"Sounds like you got the entire story. Why ask me?"

"Because it's you. And I want to hear about it... see it in you. So... how is he?"

Eva relented and her friend saw that look on the older girl's face to confirm her intuition. Barring a catastrophe... this was going somewhere. No, she would make sure there was no catastrophe. In quiet tones were the details reiterated, but she did not care for those, only to see that spark in the eyes and the shine to her face.

"Your face says clear as day that you like him for real. So are you gonna try and go through, or..."

"I feel like all of you will beat me with sticks if I don't. So yeah. He asked me on thursday to do something. Said he had a place in mind."

"That sounds like a date if there ever was one."

"Hey, I went with like a bunch of guys like this. And they weren't dates."

"No, but now he's clearly thinking about you when planning it. And you look eager for it."

Her smile showed the resignation to this fate. Such it was. It did indeed feel more special than just going to a bar. And the man said it was something about forcing socialization. Said he had met a few people that waited for him next week to come back.

"You're in deep, girl." Carmen continued. "Now we gotta make sure it sticks."

"What if he disappoints me or something later?"

"That's just those nonsense women you insist to keep seeing online to get angry. Listen... everyone will disappoint in a big or small way. Relationships take work. And if you say what if a better guy comes along I will slap you."

Eva actually smiled at that. It was nice to be kept straight sometimes. Sure, she was being told what she knew, but it was a time for her to not think clearly.

"Was it like this for you?" The woman was married despite being younger.

"Nah, I was worse. Kept insisting it's just a fancy of one kind or another. But I needed mother to tell me that I kept going on and on about them. And yeah, he's had his idiot moments, but if he wasn't one... how can I help him not be one?"

Another chuckle. This was making her feel better. But also it made her consider the implications.

"I don't know if he'd really be alright with me still doing that other thing. You know. Guys don't like girls who sleep around."

"No, they don't like girls who are ready to throw away a man just because something better showed. You might have fucked plenty of guys and girls, but you don't do that. And if he's as smart as you say... he'll see it."

"So many of these guys pretty much wanted me all to themselves to the point some got pretty bad. But maybe he can be smart."

"And it's up to you to show him what it means. So go and test him out for that next date. And if he looks good... give it to him."

"All of it?" She was worried on the implications of that idea.

"Can't be his if you can't be honest. But if it looks like it's not gonna be..."

"Stay friends. Maybe I can at least trust him to do that." Beat. "Hopefully."

At times she could also lose faith in men. Even if they were in pain, evil is not excused for its past. Why, the great god walking around showed that he had a downright traumatic childhood, enough to let him gather the strength to escape this world.

It felt like an eternity until Thursday.

*

Monday night, though technically Tuesday. To many, the paved streets of the old entertainment district were a place to enjoy the evening while buying horribly priced drinks and food. To others it was a hunting ground for something or other. Attention, women... or money.

Mister Samuel had enjoyed a good night out. His mask had slid off to get a better look at today's haul. Two hold-ups, one guy knocked out and searched, as well as three good wallets lifted off drunk bar goers. Frankly he would prefer to keep pickpocketing, but things have been getting more expensive, as have his girlfriend's tastes. A thick wad of cash in his hands while the wallets were set aflame before being dropped in a trashcan. He hadn't been caught so far and probably never will be.

Sure, he got a bit scared when that guy started to murder people a year ago, but it was clear small fry like him were not in the sights. Jobs were not getting that better... and neither were they ever for him. One fast food stint was enough to make him not want another, though his current delivery work was at least good enough to hide his creative income.

This should hold him through another couple of weeks... or one if his sweet decides to party again. Spoils pocketed before he started to walk away from this place, his car a good distance away. There was a temptation to party a bit, but he should not be seen around here.

Two corners later, that street instinct fired up on him. Someone was tailing him. A stumble to the side to hide behind a corner and check out who might be going after Sam... yet the street was deserted. Hand caressed his nine millimeter pistol hidden under his hoodie, barely ever used but one heck of an intimidation tool. And then he heard something to make a spine turn cold. A sweet, soft voice, coming almost from everywhere, softly singing... almost mistaken for a child.

"Ring-a-ring o' roses,

A pocket full of posies,

A-tishoo, a-tishoo!

You all fall down."

That piano chord after was right out of a horror movie, making every instinct he had to scream: "RUN!" So he did. The man took off at a sprint, still aware of the eyes at the back of his head.

Frantic looks back would spot nothing at first, then finally he gazed upwards to see just a momentary shadow upon the rooftops, the feeling clearly coming from the figure standing. Every time he looked once more it was standing on a new building closer to him, unmoving yet somehow always after him. A woman's voice continued to sing.

"Once upon a time in a daymare

Dying to meet you, little child

Enter, enter this sideshow."

He was making a dead run towards his car. The man parked far from his hunting spots to make sure it was not used against him. Now it was a long haul until he might feel safe inside from whatever the heck is out there.

The shadow was now on the ground, barely lit... still standing and moving only when he was not looking. Faster than he could see. Face was a blur, not just because he could not focus in his condition. But the outfit... that coat of dark red gently swaying in the wind. Samuel knew he was an impending news segment.

"Time for bed the cradle still rocks

13 chimes on a dead man's clock,

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock"

Somehow... he lost it. Lungs and legs burned as the man finally turned the last corner, the voice no longer being heard as he scrambled for keys to let him into the safety of his vehicle. He practically stabbed at the door with his key, close to breaking it as it turned. And now the final step to have the door open and...

He pulled once... twice. The door was not yielding. It was stuck. A fist pounded on the doorframe in case it was sticking or the mechanism failed a bit. But no... it was not opening. And worse. He heard the voice again.

"The pendulum still sways for you

Such are the darks here to show you,

child in a corner, fallen mirrors, all kingdom in cinders."

Samuel turned with his gun drawn to see the figure dressed in burgundy just a short distance away. Gun was pulled out as he attempted his last stand. Safety off.... He did not hesitate to use it if needed.

"STAY BACK!"

The figure took a step closer. He fired. The explosion inside the chamber made this quiet area become alert. Cops would not be far. But the figure just... flashed over to a side, moving like a blur to his right and just a bit closer. Another round. Another quick step. He could not make out a face despite staring at its well lit figure. It was like someone took photoshop to real life, making the head just an indistinct, censored blob of black and skin color. But he could tell it was a woman. Shorter, clear tits being seen under the shirt...

One more shot, and another... and another. Every time it just moved around. He lost count of his rounds. And one such step finally made her step right within arm's reach. One final shot that was not fully delivered. Adrenaline made time slow.

The hoodlum experienced the event in slow motion, that figure finally moving to slap at his hand, yet as she did so... the gun came apart in pieces, scattering over the street. Left hand came forward to strike at his center, the pain unable to manifest yet as he was thrown back into his car. Three ribs cracked. A follow-up from the other hand made more bones crack. Then a leg came to drive into his knee, rendering it useless.

His beatdown took seconds yet he experienced it in minutes. Only awareness of consequences would make him realize the damage. The pain would come later. Her strikes were lightning fast. Driving at joints, chest and finally pelvis. She let him finally register it all and the cumulated pain of several broken bones made the man just go out.

His body would be found here... still alive, but never to walk or do such deeds again. The police were called from his own cell, to find the hallmarks of the so called "Outsider copycats". The good ones, that is. While some have tried using this event to hide their activities, as usual there were details not released to the public. Gun parts recovered from the street and money untouched as well as the other gleamed details...

Detective Reynolds would manage to get the statement from the man... after he was capable of speech again. While many thought the red coat was enough to mark this, he knew better. Always the little song given, a different one for each occasion. Always the illusory freedom as they could run and fight back. No traces other than this dossier left on the ground detailing and providing evidence to the crimes of the fellow. It was usually inadmissible and at best gave an outline for a proper investigation.

It was clearly a vigilante, or more of a group of them. They were striking all around the world. And from the many details they had gleaned... the image was clear. Astorians were doing this. Only a few of their victims died, usually from later complications, with the disabling being intentional. It was not the so-called Outsider. He would not hide like this. But they were clearly using that image.

The crimes from a few months ago were in no way organized, just random attacks on people trying to use this image. But now there were some striking back. Their diplomat was sharp in response to this.

"And yours upon our worlds have counted many other crimes. Shall we damn you collectively for their actions?"

Not as many, but the point stood. And they really could not do anything. The empire had more of everything. It did not matter if this was government sanctioned or just some independents doing it on their own. Earth could not do a damn thing. Just like those people could not do a thing against their attacker. Reynolds had plenty of experience with upstairs agendas he could not in any way oppose. Though now those had cleared for the most part.

The only hope was that this would not lead to trouble with the general population.

*

Eva did not know what to expect when Thursday finally arrived. There was an idea of an event to force people to interact, but such a thing could not happen here. Her ride left her at the gate into a small paved courtyard, leading into what was clearly a refurbished house. But the bar here seemed to cater to those interested in gaming. Jack was already here, smoking and possibly at the end of his pacing. She decided to end his worry.

Stepping out, the woman walked up to the boy feeling equally nervous. Today she would test him out further for this idea. The girl felt a bit shy, but tried to push past that with confidence as they got into speaking range.

"A gaming bar?" She asked with a smile.

"Bit more. You'll see. And nice to see you. Felt like this day would not have arrived."

"Hey, I follow through. Got us a hotel room for some fun times later."

"I was wondering how we can do more without one getting to the other's place."

Jack had inadvertently shown the result of his fear, but the girl understood. This is what she fought against.