All Comments on 'Whiskey in the Jar-O'

by VoluptuousCara

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
another metallica airhead

This is twice in one week that I've come across a "tallican" who thinks metallica is an original band. just bcuz they cry and whine about being ripped off by the internet doesn't mean they dont borrow and steal. the last guy was running around with a Bowie phrase from the song Ziggy Stardust "...like some Leper Messiah". Now this bimbo credits those whiners with a traditional Irish folk song that Thin Lizzy adapted into a rock song and yep borrowed by lars and the whiners. Dumb or lazy... DO YOUR RESEARCH. I doubt they took credit for the song. The fans maybe lame but the bands lawyers are not . dum peeple shoodent rite.

P.S. I doubt Bowie got credit for the song Leper Messiah.

mel_pomenemel_pomeneover 9 years ago
VoluptiousCara may well have been wrong ...

... about the origins of this song, but her story was quite readable and amusing -- and there is no justification whatever for your calling her a bimbo, particularly as you are hiding behind 'Anonymous'. If you don't have anything nice to say, it is often better to say nothing.

Thank you, Cara, I enjoyed this little piece and I hope you will write more for us.

VoluptuousCaraVoluptuousCaraover 9 years agoAuthor
OK NOW

Anonymous (and by the way, thank you so much for telling me who you are, OH NOW WAIT, YOU DIDN'T YOU HID BEHIND A GREY FACE), I realize Metallica didn't come up with the concept for "Whiskey in the Jar-O". It originated as an Old Celtic song poem, and yes, Thin Lizzy adapted it as a rock song. Lots of twentieth century bands have done some version of it, although the Metallica version is best known (or best-known to me), although, NO, I'm not a Metallica fan (I prefer the music of British band Bush, or U2, or alternative goddess Shirley Manson, but anyway).

I thought it would be fun to turn the original story of "Whiskey in the Jar-O" on its head and tell it from Molly's point of view (and having seen Metallica's video for the song, which, I gotta say, reeked of misogyny) I wanted Molly to be the criminal mastermind, the brains of the operation, and to be the one who ended up with the money when all was said and done.

You don't like my version of the story, that's fine...Everybody doesn't like everything.

mcbtwsmcbtwsover 9 years ago
I'm not "anonymous"

But this was utterly beyond boring.

VoluptuousCaraVoluptuousCaraover 9 years agoAuthor
everybody doesn't like everything

Well I'm sorry mcbtw, I'm heartly sorry you found my story boring. perhaps someday I can recompense you for the time you spent reading it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
please remember that no two authors...

or musicians, or songwriters, or poets, OR even anonymous commenters are ever the same. Everyone has their own voice, and even if the tones are set with mimicry, the lilt of the message conveyed is unique and solely owned by the individual.

So, Cara, don't let a few anons who don't know how to say something nice or constructive (lest even know when to keep their mouths shut in courtesy), get you soured on keeping comments open to any and all. Censorship IS worse than ignorance, although you can't have the former without the latter.

As to your modern retelling of a period piece, I quite liked it. I think you narrated with a strong voice, and kept the pace of an accomplished bard. It was short, easy on the eyes, and produced the desired chuckle.....at least from this reader.

Thanks so much, and look forward to more of your work! 5 stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Two things

1. To the author: the title is Whiskey in The Jar. Writing it as jar-o makes you sound like an idiot.

2. To the other annonynous: pretty much anyone that uses the term leper messiah is thinking about the Metallica song. So what if there is one line in the song Ziggy Stardust that says leper messiah. It's one line in a song that almost no one has ever heard or cared about. It has nothing to do with the song leper messiah by Metallica. Stop trying to be an elitist prick and go back to dreaming about your 3 way with David Bowie and Freddy mercury with you as the meat in that MMM sandwich.

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
fatally funny frolic

VC, I enjoyed your reasonably anachronism free rendition of an old story. Clever and artistic writing.

I will make sure to make some time to explore your other posted stories.

And, ignore the analmousies. They are not worth a minute of your creative life.

thedemonIxthedemonIxabout 7 years ago
Ain't no damsel in distress!

I love it!!!

thedemonIxthedemonIxabout 7 years ago
oh... and i do kinda agree with who ever up at the top...

Metallica can lick my underscrunch...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Oh come on...

Metallica was a great band until Lars got in the wrong bunk. Truly no deeper words than "No life 'till leather, we're gonna kick some ass tonight, oh yeah, yeah yeah" have ever been put to song. We'll never see such depth again.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous