Yellow

Story Info
Consequantialism & utilitarianism.
1.3k words
3.73
2.3k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

YELLOW

SweetNothingsAndBeyond

Author's Note:

This is the shortest story I have written in Literotica. Just 1,299 words!

Caution:

There is no sexual content in this story.

Dedication:

This story is dedicated to all those magnanimous intimate acquaintances, commentators and stalkers whose direct and indirect mitigation in terms of taking undue advantage of 'Fair Comments' in the name of 'Anonymous' under the cover of 'Freedom of Expression' using foul and filthy languages and expressions which civilized people sane to use or express even for their most hatred enemies..

Acknowledgement:

A debt of gratitude goes to all the rationale commentators who have always encouraged me even with their negative comments with positiveness. And of course all the ardent and diehard fans who made me feel like a Demy-God with their selecting my stories as 'Favourites' time and again. That is the ultimate morale boosters for any author to excel further.

******

YELLOW:

Jason is certain to die within a week but is being kept alive on a life support system.

His heart and kidneys happen to be a perfect match for Imran and Disha; who are certain to die before him if they do not get the transplants they need but who have excellent prospects of recovery if they do.

There are no other suitable donors in the country at that moment of time.

Is it right to let Jason die -- Or perhaps even to kill him -- In order to save Imran and Disha?

That was the bigger question unanswered.

On the one hand, it seems clear that the net outcome of letting Jason die is beneficial; on the other one may feel that choosing to let someone die; or killing him is gross, however good the consequences may be.

That is what 'CONSEQUENTIALISM' is all about. It is the consequence of one's action that should be considered when he addresses whether those actions that he is taking at that moment of time are right or wrong.

Here two things are of pivotal importance: First the ACTION, and second the TIME, not necessarily in that order as always.

Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters: PAIN and PLEASURE. It is absolutely the prerogative of the person concerned to decide what he ought to do at that particular moment of time.

That was what put Nadia in a dilemma. Nadia is the wife of Jason. She was with him in the SUV while they were returning from Dehradoon to Delhi. Near Meerut, about sixty kilometres away from Delhi their SUV met with a near fatal accident on a blind turn and turtle three times before skidding down into a creek.

Thanks to a NDRF team, who were deputed nearby on a flash-flood warning, arising owing to heavy rain on the valleys of Himalayan foot-hill. The husband and wife duo were rescued and referred to AIIMS, Delhi immediately.

Jason was under coma and declared brain-dead when arrived at AIIMS. Nadia was no better, with multiple fractures, but she was responding to the treatment much better and was recuperating faster with full senses.

When the penal of doctors approached Nadia with her husband's condition and how could he would be instrumental in saving two precious lives, she was in a duel mind?

What would she do?

******

The vital organs were specially brought from Delhi to Mumbai with special arrangement by an in-time on-board flight. The high-profile traffic police were extremely pro-active in Mumbai to create a 'Green-Corridor' from Mumbai International Airport to Nanavati Hospital, where Imran and Disha were hospitalized.

Thanks to the team of expert surgeons from the top hospitals of Mumbai, who performed the rarest of rare operations on the organ recipients. The transplantation was done in record time and was successful. The most novel thing was that, all the international acclaimed doctors who performed most difficult of operations, did not charge a single penny demonstrating the human face of their profession.

Once the operations were conducted successfully, and the organ receivers were stabilized, the 'Good News' was conveyed whole heartedly from Mumbai Nanavati Hospital to Delhi AIIMS.

******

The only deviation was the receiver of the information at AIIMS, Delhi. It was not Disha, but her husband Jason!

While Jason was being taken to the 'Operation Theatre', a miracle happened! He suddenly opened his eyes as if getting up from a long sleep. He was absolutely normal and was talking and recognising everyone as if he had just got up from a sound sleep. It was a 'God-Gifted' life to Jason, proved the 'Brain-Dead' theory gross.

Suddenly he remembered about the accident and was too anxious to know about his beloved wife's Naida's where about and her well being.

That was when he was handed over a self written letter by Nadia. He opened the letter with trembling fingers and read it with a churn in his stomach,

Dear Jason,

By the time you're reading this letter, I'd be away from you for the better. I was jealous of you probably for the first time, when I came to know that you'll be donating your heart and kidneys to two eighteen year old kids in Mumbai.

A special court approved your 'Volunteered Self Death' on special humanitarian grounds with my consent as you're brain-dead.

But my joys knew no bounds when the doctors told me that you became alive in a miraculous way.

Till that time, though I was fully well and mentally stable, did not know about my lower body. I's totally paralysed below my waist! Living and leading a life beyond that moment would be like a vegetable for me.

So, I made my move. I appealed on two grounds: My physical handicapness, and saving the life of two future talents of the country.

A special five bench judge court was held in the mid-night of Sunday and vetoed my cause in favour 3 : 2! When received the news, I was over-whelmed. Surely, you too will be happy with your wife's decision.

By the way for your information do you know who the recipients of the organs were? Our two lovely adopted children -- Imran and Disha!

One last request, please visit them once you recovered fully.

Pardon me, for this is probably the only decision I had taken unilaterally without your information and permission.

Keep well.

With love

Nadia."

A couple of drops of tears fall on the hand written letter as the writings became hazy. Jason did not know how to react? How could? How could his loving wife of twenty years be so selfish? What she did on the larger context was selflessness. But what about her own family?

Jason took a deep breath, as he knew from the bottom of her heart that... Life would never be the same for the three of them -- Him, Imran and Disha!

A Catholic Husband, a Persian Wife, a Muslim Son and a Hindu Daughter!

Globalization was so very local... A very small world!

******

Concluding Discussion:

At the beginning I'd talked about 'CONSEQUANTIALISM', but if I do not conclude the story with 'UTILITARIANISM', then I won't be doing justice to this small story.

UTILITARIANISM is the most influential of 'CONSEQUANTIALIST THEORIES', is the more specific view that actions should be judged right or wrong to the extent that they increase or decrease human well-being or 'Utility'. Scenarios like the Jason-Nadia case may seem far-fetched, but in fact scenarios that are similar in morally relevant ways arise all the time. This can be inspirational and may be used in exemplification ways.

Why Was The Story Named Yellow?

When one suffers from 'Jaundice', the world looks 'Yellow' to him. This idiom was always used for negative connotations. Can we use the same for a positive aspect, for a change, at least, please?

The End.

SweetNothingsAndBeyond