Finding Amy

Story Info
Parts 1 to 7 of a full length novel.
45.6k words
4.62
18.3k
17
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note from the author.

Thank-you dear reader for showing an interest in 'Finding Amy'.

There are things you should know before embarking on this journey. Firstly that this is no mere story but in fact is a full length novel. If you are expecting an immediate payoff within five pages then clearly that won't happen. You will need the attention span that a novel requires.

To exacerbate matters (sorry, I've like that word ever since 'Shaun Of The Dead'), it is also unfinished. What you are reading is a novel as it's actually being written. I have posted for your entertainment the first seven parts. Roughly a little more than 45,000 words.

So what you have here is already the size of a novella with the finished novel likely to clock in at over 70,000 words. It's important that you know that before beginning.

Actually I'm asking a lot of the reader. Finding Amy is a psychological journey. A sexual thriller. A mystery. Actually it's many things.

I have been inspired by writing styles as diverse as Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club), Brett Easton Ellis (American Psycho) and Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game), but the subject matter came from somewhere else entirely.

If anyone has seen the films '8mm' and 'The Vanishing' then maybe you will understand where I'm coming from. Those two films both affected and disturbed me. Combining the spirit of the two was something that both intrigued and scared the hell out of me at the same time.

In other words...... The grief and shock of someone close to you inexplicably disappearing into thin air (the Vanishing), combined with a seduction into the secret world of underground sex (8mm). And yes, that underground world most definitely exists.

I'm constantly asking myself the question "Is Finding Amy too sexual to be considered a serious novel?"

I'm also asking myself "Is Finding Amy too dark to be considered an erotic story."

So as you can see, I'm conflicted and perhaps only you, the reader can make that distinction. If you can then please let me know.

So welcome to the journey. If you do in fact go on to read all seven of these first parts then you have my gratitude and thanks. Of course feedback is welcome and appreciated. I only ask that if you are going to rate what I have written so far then please read all of it (such as it is).

It will be completed and new sections will be added but please understand that it's not something I can rush.

I trust that much like Ashley (the central character), once you begin you will find yourself unable to turn away. (And of course by then it will be far too late.)

Some very observant among you may recognize an earlier (and shorter) draft of this book by an author called 'Real_First_time'. Just to clarify matters 'Real_First_time' is the only other name I have submitted work under.

In this case I am simply bringing this piece of work over to my 'Dimachaerus' title because it better represents the kind of work I have been working towards as 'Dimachaerus'.

(put far more simply....Real_First _time & Dimachaerus are the same person.)

*

FINDING AMY

A study of obsession.

By

DIMACHAERUS

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"

- Hunter S. Thompson.

Prologue.

Ash.

I'm so sorry I had to do it this way but I had no choice.

We've been best friends for so long and It breaks my heart to do this but I have to leave and do something very important...something just for me.

I knew there was no way I could explain it to you and that you'd probably convince me not to go, so writing this note was the only way I could tell you.

I need to just fall off the map for a while. I thought my life was over when Jeff broke off our engagement and I can honestly say that you saved my life Ash...I love you for being there for me when I needed you.

I'm figuring out how to live a different way, a stronger way, and I need some time alone to do it.

I'm filled with hope for the first time in years. I'm so excited about what my new life will bring and I promise that I will call you as soon as I'm ready, but it's probably going to take 6 months, maybe more.

Leaving my best friend was the hardest part of all this for me, please believe me when I say that.

I will miss you every day, but I'm also very excited about the future now.

This is not a 'good-bye', it's a 'see you soon'.

All my love

Your best friend forever...

Amy

Part 1. - I Miss My Friend.

"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

- Jules, Ezekiel 25:17, Pulp Fiction.

1

Ashley carefully opened the crumpled envelope, and with great care removed the hand written letter that was folded neatly inside.

The paper was worn and a little faded now, but with a practiced and familiar touch, she gently opened the page and began to read.

Slowly, deliberately, she took in every word, perhaps trying to find some hidden message that she had somehow missed before.

It was futile.

She was always left with the same empty feeling, and with each reading she only felt further away from the truth. Further away from Amy.

How many times had Ashley read that letter? Probably hundreds of times, and the result was always the same.

Confusion.

Grief.

Anger.

Now almost a year had passed since Amy had disappeared and that 'one year anniversary' weighed heavily on Ashley's mind.

It was a particularly cold, December day as she stared out of the window of her small Boston apartment.

Living in Brookline had definitely had its advantages. Close to the inner city but without the crippling rent of an up-town apartment. Her time in this place should have been the best couple of years of her life.

Up until a year ago it had been, but that life had all but vanished now.

Soft rain was washing away the last remnants of the most recent snow-fall and she quietly stared at the droplets of water as they slid down her window pane.

It was a familiar cycle. There would undoubtedly be another snow-fall soon and in turn, another bout of rain would wash it all away and make everything clean again.

She loved to watch the rain. It was something she used to do as a child and lately, Ashley had begun to find great comfort in reverting back to those old childhood habits.

The world of her childhood didn't contain the sadness and pain that now dominated her adult world. She was beginning withdraw to that time more and more now with each passing month.

Ashley's thoughts often travelled back to the summer of '97.

Ash and Amy. Two fifteen year-old trouble makers and that summer at Lake Attitash.

Both girls took northern Massachusetts by storm that year. They smoked, drank and made out with boys for the first time.

They tanned themselves by the lake by day and then headed to nearby Hampton Beach at night.

Jeremiah's was the only night spot they could get into but every night brought a new adventure.

The following morning they would attempt to sleep in.

The lake-house belonged to Amy's parents and they would almost always get woken up by Amy's mother. Even if they managed to sleep through that, they would inevitably get blasted awake by loud speakers from the boy's summer-camp across the lake.

'We were fearless back then' Ashley thought to herself.

Tears began to stream down her cheeks.

She always began to cry when she thought of Amy, but that was okay now.

For the first time she was beginning to let go and she was at last starting to make peace with that.

Ashley was due to make one final appearance on channel nine tomorrow night, but that would be the end of it. She just couldn't do it anymore. It hurt too much.

Her tears mirrored the droplets of water sliding down the window pane in front of her eyes and Ashley forced a smile.

"Even god is crying with me today" she said softly to herself before pausing to add the simple question that had plagued her for so long.

"Why?"

2

Text message received 7:24pm

Message from: Bryce Lucas

Will. If ur home switch tv to wmur channel 9. Ashley Thomson being interviewed bout the Amy Price issue.

****

William Harper stared hard at the text message for a few moments before picking up the remote and switching to channel nine.

Amy Price was a name he knew all too well.

Immediately he saw the familiar face of Ashley Thomson.

She sat nervously with her hands clasped together in front of her as a generic, and very blonde female reporter embarked upon a series of difficult questions.

"God Ashley, please stop doing this to your-self" Will said aloud as the interview went on.

Ashley just looked more and more nervous with each question. He felt real sympathy for what she was going through. Her discomfort at being on camera was painfully evident.

Ashley's best friend, Amy Price had gone missing almost a year ago now. This poor woman had done all she could to bring attention to the case but she was clearly fighting a losing battle.

"We understand that Amy sent you a letter before she disappeared" The female reporter asked.

"Yes that's true" Ashley replied.

"And we also understand that in this letter she mentioned that she would be out of contact for more than 6 months?" The question took on an almost accusatory tone.

Ashley looked agitated and shot back immediately.

"Yes that's also true but you have to understand that Amy wouldn't just take off like that. It's been almost a year now and I really am afraid that something terrible has happened."

There was a long pause before the inevitable comment was made.

"Perhaps it's possible that she just wanted a fresh start in a new city. Her letter to you would certainly indicate that."

"Yes that is possible I suppose" Ashley admitted with apparent frustration "...but nobody can find her, I really do fear the worst. The police were helpful to begin with but nobody seems to care anymore."

"Well we can see how upset you are and all of us here at w.m.u.r. wish you all the best for a positive and speedy outcome to this puzzling story. If any viewers have information regarding the whereabouts of Miss Amy Price, please contact the number or e-mail address at the bottom of the screen".

A photo of Amy then flashed on-screen with some accompanying contact details before the station quickly went to commercial.

Will immediately switched off the television and sat silently for a long time. He was disturbed by what he saw for a lot of reasons.

He knew all too well about Amy Price because he had been the first police officer to look into Amy's disappearance.

He had sat face to face with Ashley Thomson on more occasions than he could remember, but the fact of the matter was that there was nothing more the police could do for her now.

Amy price was not some teenage run-away. She was a 29 year old woman.

She had even written a letter to Ashley Thomson just before her disappearance and in that letter she seemed to actually explain everything that was happening.

From all accounts it seemed that she just wanted a break from it all and, in her words, "just fall off the map for a while". By god, that's exactly what she did.

Probably the most unusual and worrying thing about all of this was that she had cancelled all of her credit cards and then cashed in all her bank accounts just before she took off. Unless you had something to hide, why the fuck would someone do that?

That was a question that Will Harper had asked himself many times, but other than that, the case was not remarkable. What was remarkable however, was Ashley Thomson's overwhelming concern for her friend.

The fact of the matter was that Amy Price was squeaky clean. No prior convictions and no apparent reason to run from anyone.

She had more than enough money to start a new life twice over.

She was untraceable and for all anyone knew, was probably living the good life on a beach in Mexico right now.

The only person who seemed to show any concern for her, was her friend, Ashley Thomson.

3

December 15

Supplemental Report Regarding Case File MA007823

RE: Amy Price -- Missing Persons Report and ongoing investigation

Investigating Officer - William Harper 657822

Assisting Officer -- Bryce Lucas 869327

Despite detailed investigation and thorough enquiries, no additional information regarding the whereabouts of Amy Price has been uncovered as of the writing of this report.

No evidence of foul play or misadventure has come to light at this stage.

The content of her letter to Ashley Thomson (see attached copy) indicated her desire for a fresh start and therefore it is perhaps possible that she is safe and well, however this cannot be confirmed at this point.

Amy Price liquidated all accounts and financial assets shortly before her disappearance. She had an estimated $300,000 at her disposal and therefore has the means to support herself for an extended period of time. While this is unusual behavior, there is no evidence of unlawful conduct.

Although this situation is clearly distressing for her long-time friend Ashley Thomson (also 29 years of age and friend of 20 years), we feel we have done all we can given the present information. In fact, we have conducted several additional enquiries at the urging of Miss Thomson with no result.

While this case will remain open, no additional enquiries will be made regarding the disappearance of Amy Price until further information becomes available.

William Harper

Investigating Officer -- case file MA007823

4

In the days that followed her channel 9 appearance, Ashley's life became an ordeal.

Her biggest fear was that nobody would respond at all.

To her this was simply just the last roll of the dice and if this failed then there was really nothing more she could do.

What actually happened in following days was unexpected.

The morning after Ashley's appearance she was shocked to discover over one hundred e-mail messages in her in-box. By the fourth day that figure had become closer to three hundred.

The sheer volume of mail was overwhelming, but it gave Ashley a renewed hope that she would see her friend again. There had to be someone who knew where Amy was. Perhaps there was even a message in amongst all that mail from Amy herself!

Ashley's excitement soon turned to dismay after she had opened roughly half of those messages.

Most were simple expressions of support. Almost none of them were helpful.

Along with all the good-will messages there were also two marriage proposals and almost ten propositions ranging from romantic dates to offers of consolation sex.

There were a couple of promising leads but nothing concrete.

One man said he had seen someone that looked a lot like Amy while on a recent trip to Miami and yet another said they had just seen her in a 'Walgreens' store in nearby Manchester, New Hampshire.

There was one e-mail however, that caught Ashley's interest more than the others. It was from 'Doctor Wendy Taft', a qualified psycho-therapist who had apparently assisted the Boston PD in similar cases before.

'Christ the last thing I need is some shrink telling me I'm insane' Ashley thought to herself, but as she read the message, she became more interested and even intrigued by it.

****

E-mail received December 23rd

From: W J Taft

RE: Your appearance on channel 9.

Miss Thomson.

I was greatly moved by your concern for your friend Amy and your attempts to locate her.

My field is Psycho Therapy. I have worked with the Boston police department in a consultation role several times over the last ten years.

My work with law enforcement usually involves the psychological profiling of various persons.

Ascertaining the mental state of an individual immediately prior to their disappearance can often give vital clues as to the activities they may engage in and sometimes the places they may go.

I know it has been a year since the disappearance of Amy but I have seen similar cases where individuals have re-surfaced safe and well as much as five years later.

I do not wish to give you false hope, just merely to point out that these things don't always necessarily end in tragedy.

I would be more than happy to schedule an appointment with you for some time in the early new year (no charge of course). Perhaps I can add some insight that may help you.

I assume you have a dossier or file with information about Amy. If you would care to forward any information that you feel is relevant I would be happy to give you an honest appraisal of what I see.

Sincerely,

Doctor Wendy Taft.

(Oh and please at least try and have a good Christmas).

****

Well it wasn't much but it was something at least. Ashley had all but forgotten that Christmas was only two days away. It really didn't make much difference to her. She had lost both of her parents in an auto accident not long after her eleventh birthday. Christmas just reminded her of her of them.

Ashley immediately set up an appointment for January 3rd and Fed-exed a file of letters and reports to the address of Dr Taft.

Ashley needed all the help she could get and she wasn't about to refuse any offer no matter what it was or who it was from.

5

Dr Taft's office was impressive. Solid oak shelves lined the walls. They all contained expensive looking books that hadn't been opened in years and the whole room gave off a rich, New England vibe.

The location was equally impressive. Her office was situated in one of the most beautiful sections of down-town Boston and a stunning view of Fanueil Hall could clearly be seen through the window.

Wendy Taft carefully examined the contents of the folder on her desk before she lingered on a glossy picture of Amy Price and Ashley Thomson.

She guessed it was a holiday shot of some kind.

Amy was a pretty girl with ash blonde hair. She had a mischievous smile but there was also a hint of something underneath that smile. She couldn't figure out what it was yet, but it was bound to be interesting, that much was certain.

Ashley Thomson was a much easier read for Dr Wendy Taft. A classic dark eyed brunette with an expressive face that communicated a passionate nature with a dark edge to it.

Of course profiling an individual based on one photo alone was hardly a scientific or conclusive method, it was just something Wendy Taft did for fun. It was surprising though, (even to herself) how often she would be right on the money about someone based on a photo alone.

"Miss Ashley Thomson is here to see you Dr Taft", the intercom on her desk informed her.

"Thank-you Rachel, you may send her in now."

Wendy Taft rose from her chair and straightened out her pant-suit jacket before walking slowly to her office door. She always felt that it was impolite to greet a new client while sitting behind her desk. It created the wrong impression. She wanted people to relate to her positively and immediately, not create barriers.

Despite her fifty years she had a youthful spring to her step and a smile that could disarm even the sternest of visitors.

She opened her office door just in time to see Ashley Thomson standing in front of her with one arm raised as she was about to knock.

She seemed a little startled at first and hesitated for just a moment before lowering her hand and then extending it forward in a rather timid gesture of a hand-shake.

"Dr Taft?" Ashley said nervously.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Thomson, I've been so looking forward to this meeting. Please come in and take a seat."

She motioned toward the seat in front of her desk and watched with interest as Ashley Thomson smiled with apparent effort, and then sat down.

In truth, Wendy Taft was just as interested in Miss Thomson as she was in her missing friend Amy Price.