A Step Apart Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The open road as he drove south on I-65 approaching Kentucky felt like he was swimming into the open waters of the ocean already. A vast horizon ahead of him filled with clear skies and a blend of warm reds, cool blues, and gorgeous violets.

He had sent the same text to all the women in his 'family.' He took responsibility for his part in the mess he created, but blamed no one else. He told them all he was going to live his own life and be his own man and not to contact him. To his father, he sent a shorter text simply stating, 'keep your money.'

Matt palmed his new pay-as-you-go phone and held the single piece of paper against the steering wheel despite the wind so he could type the phone number that was written inside the heart shape. Smiling as he typed his text, he clicked, 'send' and set the phone down in his cup holder beside his bottle of water.

Matt

'Hey, Jessica. It's Matt from Chicago. Wanted you to be the first to know. Took ur advice. Heading to Florida now. Just wanted to say thx 4 caring enough to come in person to tell me.'

Only a few minutes passed before his phone buzzed in reply.

Jessica

'I'm so excited for you! A friend in admissions said they got your email and they're rushing your paperwork thru right now.'

Matt smiled at his phone and set it back down. Beside him in the passenger seat was an old refurbished laptop and some pens and paper he bought. Everything in the car was used and old but everything in the car, including the car, was bought with his earned money. His car was emptied out of anything that was bought with his dad's money. Down to his socks and a snow brush from his trunk for his car. New 'used' clothes. New 'used' backpack. New 'used' Matt.

The farther he drove away from the North, the further Matt felt from home, but the closer he felt to his life. Free from under his father's thumb, he felt as though he could breathe for the first time in a decade. But that freedom came with many costs and risks. Financial independence being one of them. Matt now lived without a home or family and with only little more than $3,400 to his name. He didn't know where he was going to sleep once he arrived in Tampa. He didn't know how he would do when he arrived at his first football practice on Monday. His path ahead would be hard, but it would be his to forge. He had made the decision to live the life of his own making. To be the man he wanted to become and not let others make the choices for him. It was a challenging path, but it was the challenge he drove towards.

Matt's phone buzzed again.

Jessica

'Oh and thx for caring enough to text me ;)'

Matt

'Haha np :)'

Jessica

':)'