An Unexpected Distraction Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Steven and Theresa were looking at the good byes Katie and Joe were exchanging next to Joe's pickup truck.

"That Joe! I'm going to have to round up some frogs and jalapeno seeds!" Steven barked. "I was going to ask you the same thing today! I'm going over there to talk to him right now! I may put him on the ground and let him kiss his tires!"

"No, you don't, Mister! You stay here, silly!" she laughed, pulling on his arm to keep him from leaving. Theresa was gut laughing about kissing the tires.

"Seriously, Theresa. I was going to ask you," Steven pleaded. "I've talked to Mom about it, and she's excited to meet you. Karen is beside herself to meet you, too. I would like to discuss it with you and Katie after Joe leaves."

After Joe left, Steven spoke with Theresa and Katie.

"I'm planning to take off on Saturday before Thanksgiving and leaving Tiffany in charge the following week," Steven said. "I will return to work on the Monday following Thanksgiving. I would ask each of you to take off for the holiday, too, so we can travel by car to the family farm."

Theresa and Katie looked to each other and nodded.

"Steven, I will talk to Rick and ask for the time off, unpaid, if possible. I'm excited to meet your parents," Theresa replied.

"Steven, I work for you. May I take off, please?" Katie giggled.

Steven smiled and said, "There is one more thing. Joe and I will be working when we get there."

Theresa and Katie furled their brows and looked confused.

Steven chuckled, then added, "Cotton harvest. Joe and I will be expected to help. Mom and Karen will be helping, too. Mom will be making meals and bringing them to the field. Karen will be driving a tractor with a boll buggy. Robert and Richard will be helping after they harvest their fields. The only day off will be Thanksgiving Day."

"But, what will Theresa and I do when you are working?" Katie asked.

"If you want to spend time with Joe, you will ride with him in the cotton stripper. Same with you Theresa. You can help Mom, ride with me, or ride with Karen. If I know Karen, you will be riding with her!" Steven replied, with a wide smile. "This is the life of making a living on a farm. The cotton must be harvested as quickly as possible, so the weather will not spoil it. Everyone works until the harvest is finished. But, on Thanksgiving Day, we relax and have fun as a family.

We all help in the kitchen to make the Thanksgiving meal, too."

Theresa and Katie looked at each other and nodded.

"Great, I'm looking forward to the new adventure, Steven."

Chapter 198

"There's one more thing...to speak with you about, Theresa."

"OK... What is it?" Theresa asked.

"The company formal in December. Each year the company invites its employees to the country club for drinks, dinner, and dancing. It's a social gathering away from the office. It's very formal. Evening gowns and dinner suits. Would you be interested in going with me?" Steven asked.

"Absolutely! When?"

"December 16," Steven replied. He paused, then continued, "I would like to buy you a gown, if you will let me?"

"Steven! That's so sweet. But, I have an evening gown already," she replied, with a smile. "Well... It isn't mine. It's Elizabeth's. I've been dying to wear it, and now I have the chance." She paused, then continued, "Wait... You didn't think I had the money to buy a gown, did you? That's why you offered, isn't it?"

Steven dipped his chin, then replied, "I'm sorry, Theresa. I didn't mean it the way I said it."

"Steven... You overthink sometimes. We Quinn sisters are resourceful. Just as your sisters, I suspect. I love you, Steven Bonds. But, I'm beginning to think you need me!"

Steven stepped forward and took Theresa in his arms.

"I do need you, my Beautiful Distraction. Thank you for loving me."

Chapter 199

"Steven... Thank you for trusting me with the construction while you're away. I'm very grateful. I know I'm still an inexperienced engineer."

Steven and Tiffany were discussing the needs of the Houston bank building project in preparation of Steven leaving to visit his family. As they were working, Steven considered his work with Tiffany. He couldn't help but note, on this occasion, how pretty she was. He knew she was pretty, but, he hired her because he felt she would succeed as a project manager. Her mocha colored skin spoke of her African heritage. Her hair was always neat. Black, wide curls, shiny, long, to just above the shoulders, and parted down the middle. Her makeup minimal but, applied to accent her ethnic features. She always dressed professional, but practical, for the dirty work of construction.

"Tiffany, I knew you were inexperienced when you were commuting between Kansas City and here during my first time in Houston. But, I saw potential. That's why I chose you to come with me to finish the project. I see strong management potential in you, and, I want to give you as many opportunities as I received when I was a junior engineer," Steven replied. "Now, I think we're done. Don't hesitate to call me if you need something. And, if you can't reach me, call Charles. He knows you're here."

"Thanks again, Steven."

Chapter 200

"I'm going to pull over and stop."

Theresa, Katie, and Steven had been driving all day from Houston to the Bonds family farm on the South Plains of Texas, located 50 miles east north east of Lubbock. Theresa had learned, during their time together, about his family.

Steven's parents are Mark and Catherine. They met in college and both are from farming backgrounds. Mark is two years older than Big Mike and Catherine is the same age.

Steven's family has been farming the same land his great grandfather purchased in 1917. The family farm is much larger than the original. His grandfather and father purchased more land over the years, and now the farm is 2,200 acres in various sections across the county. The family also leases land to farm from those farmers who have retired. They grow mostly cotton, along with some wheat and corn. They also have a pasture where cattle are grazed.

Steven has two older brothers, Robert and Richard, and they are farmers. They are married to Patricia and Lauren, respectively. Robert has 5 children; three boys and 2 girls. Richard has four sons. Next, Steven has two sisters, Helen and Mary, who are married to Luke and David; also, farmers. Helen has 3 sons and Mary has 1 son and 2 daughters. Steven was born after Mary. Next, there is Karen. Living in her parents' home, she is 24 years old and a firecracker, according to Steven. She is engaged to be married in December, next year, to David's brother, Jacob. Also, a farmer. Next, is the youngest, Joseph. The one who has fallen for her sister, Katie. And, Joe, also wants to be a farmer when he finishes college.

Steven's mother came to Steven in high school and asked him to leave home and make a career other than farming. She felt he had the spirit to succeed in anything he chose. She wanted him to return to her and tell her stories of life beyond farming and the small corner of the world where she raised her family.

"Why are you stopping here? It's a dirt road," Theresa said.

"Because, I see Richard and Robert over there, stripping cotton. See those green strippers moving through the field?" he offered.

Steven got out of the car and went to Theresa's door to let her out, along with Katie. He led them to the edge of the field and waved at the nearest cotton harvester. The huge green machine came to a stop and a man stepped onto the platform outside the cabin. He looked in their direction and waved his arm. Then waved for them to come over to see him.

"Let's go! It's Richard!" Steven barked.

Richard met them halfway in the soft earth of the field. The brothers shook hands and hugged.

"I'm glad you're here, Steven. He have a record crop this year. Great rains in the spring and summer, and very hot in August and September," Richard said.

"That's great, Richard. Finally, a good year," Steven said. He paused, then continued, "Richard... This is my girlfriend, Theresa Quinn, and her sister, Katie."

"I'm glad to meet you, Theresa. I would hug you, but I have dust all over me. So... You're the woman Mom tells me has stolen our brother's heart."