An Unusual Beginning Ch. 07

Story Info
David and Arlene talk. David asks her to meet his family.
2.6k words
4.58
3.5k
6

Part 7 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 07/16/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mspat
mspat
545 Followers

"Hello," Arlene said answering her phone.

"Why didn't you tell me?" David asked.

"I did tell you," Arlene replied, "through the email."

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine, but scared."

"About?"

"Some of the things the doctor told me."

"Such as?"

"Such as the fact that it's normal for women carrying more than one child to be put on total bed rest the last part of their pregnancy, and it's also normal for them to go into premature labor."

"You sound as if you're rethinking your decision to have the babies," David said his tone nervous.

"Never!" Arlene said. I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed after finding out that I'm having more than one baby. I'm also feeling kind of alone."

"You're not alone, Arlene," David said trying to reassure her.

"Oh, but I am," Arlene pointed out. "I don't have any family or friends that I can turn to when I need support, or I'm afraid."

"I'm here for you," David said.

"You're in California, David, and I'm in Georgia," Arlene pointed out.

"Have you changed your mind about giving our marriage a chance?" David asked his heart rate increasing slightly at her possible answer.

"I haven't changed my mind," Arlene replied.

"Thank God," David said, breathing a sigh of relief and slowly releasing the breath he was holding.

"But I'm wondering how we're going to give our marriage a try and be a family, given our current situation," Arlene said.

"What do you mean?" David asked tensing up again.

"David, we've decided to give our marriage a chance and to be a family, but we haven't taken any steps in that direction," Arlene said. "Nor have we made any decisions as a couple. We can't become a family without getting to know each other. There are so many things we must discuss and work out."

"Like where we're going to live," David said understanding what Arlene was saying.

"Yes," Arlene replied glad that he understood what she was saying. "What kind of marriage are we going to have? Are you going to be a weekend father, or do you want to be involved in the day to day lives of our children?"

"I want to be involved in the day to day lives of our children," David told her. "I want to be with you and our children. The only reason I didn't push the issue or bring the things you pointed out is because I wanted to give you time to adjust to us being together. Especially after everything that happened to us. I figured and hoped that you would let me know when you were ready to talk about our situation."

"Thank you," Arlene said relieved that all the thoughts about why David hadn't mentioned them living together weren't true. "You don't know what I've been thinking, the thoughts that were running through my head. And that email it...it confirmed my worst nightmare."

"I'm sorry Diana did that to you," David said his tone sympathetic and sincere. "I promise you that she won't be sending you any more email. I talked to her and made it clear that I won't tolerate her interfering in my life or our relationship."

"I understand why she did it," Arlene said. "She's trying to understand what's happened to her, her relationship with you, the plans the two of you made concerning your futures and why her life has suddenly changed. Your relationship with her didn't end because either of you wanted it to. It was forced to end when you married me. She probably thinks, I'm forcing you to stay with me. In her mind, she's rescuing you from me."

"Well, after the conversation we had today she knows that I don't need to be rescued," David said, "and that I'm staying married to you because it's what I want."

"No, one that knows you is going to believe that you're with me because you want to be," Arlene said. "Especially when they hear how we came to be married. Everyone is going to think that I'm the one not willing to have our marriage annulled."

"Then I'll just have to straighten them out," David said. "I'll let them know that I'm the one that doesn't want to let you go."

"Defending our marriage might take more energy than you think," Arlene said, "it might take more energy than you're willing to put into it."

"You sound as if I'm in this by myself," David said.

"You're not in it by yourself," Arlene assured him. "I don't know you or what to expect from you. I'm in a strange spot David. We both are because we don't know each other. You don't know my strengths or weaknesses and I don't know yours. You don't know what it would take to make me say uncle and I don't know what it'll take for you to give up. We're both taking chances not only with our lives but the lives of our children."

David hated the truth of the words, he heard his wife speak, but he couldn't deny them.

"I'm committed to you, our children and our relationship, Arlene," David said.

"I believe you David," Arlene said. "Everything you've done so far shows your commitment to our relationship, me, and our children. I'm just scared that the reality of that commitment might become too much for you."

"You're worried about what I'll do if it becomes too much for me, aren't you?" David asked.

"Yes," Arlene said. "I've been abandoned before, but I was too young to know it was happening. But, if it happens this time I'll feel it, and I won't be in it alone."

"I can assure you that I'm not walking around with blinders on, and I'm not working under the impression that everything is going to be all flowers and hearts because we want it to be," David said. "I know because of many factors in our relationship that there are going to be hurdles that we're going to have to jump. And, I know as you said you don't know me well enough; my word is the only thing you have to trust right now and that isn't much, but I assure you that you'll never be alone as long as I draw breath. I will be there for you and our children."

"Have you told your parents about the babies?" Arlene asked.

"Yes," David replied smiling when he heard the sniffle Arlene gave as she changed the topic of their conversation. "They can't wait for them to be born so they can spoil them."

"That's great," Arlene said pushing away the pang of jealousy she felt at David being able to share his happiness with his parents. "I'm glad they're happy about becoming grandparents. Will our children be their first?"

"Yes," David replied.

"Do you have any other siblings?" Arlene asked.

"Yes," David replied. "I have a younger brother."

Arlene was asking David questions in an effort to get to know him better.

"What's your favorite color?" she asked.

"Gold," David replied.

"Your favorite food?"

"Any and all seafood."

"Pet peeves?"

"People who won't stop and help other's in trouble."

"Hopes and dreams?"

"To find a woman whom, I can love the way my father loves my mother and raise, a family with her."

"Oh, David," Arlene said her heart breaking for him, "I'm in the way of you accomplishing your dream."

"No, you're not," David said. "You are my dream."

"Don't say that, please don't say that."

"I must. It's the way I feel."

"You don't know that because you don't know me."

"How about I find out," David said hoping that Arlene would be open and agree to what he was about to suggest. "I want you to fly to Los Angeles, spend this weekend with me and meet my family."

Caught, completely off guard by his request Arlene didn't say anything, she was too stunned to speak.

"Did you hear me, Arlene?" David asked wondering why she wasn't answering him.

"I heard you," Arlene replied. "I don't know if I can come this weekend. I'll have to make flight and hotel arrangements."

"I'm sure you can get a plane out," David said. "As far as hotel arrangements my parents have a guest house that I'm sure they wouldn't mind you staying in."

"I can stay in a hotel," Arlene said. "I wouldn't want to be a bother."

"You're family, Arlene," David said. "My parents wouldn't have a problem with you staying in the main house, but I know that staying in the main house would be too overwhelming for you. Staying in the guesthouse would give you some privacy. But if it'll make you feel better, I'll go and ask my parents."

"It would make me feel better," Arlene said.

"Hold the phone," David said. "I'll be right back."

David was back a few seconds later.

"They said the guesthouse is yours," David said. "And you've gotten me into trouble."

"How did I do that?" Arlene asked.

"They're upset with me for suggesting that you stay in the guesthouse instead of the main house."

"If that is the case, I'm not the one who got you into trouble," Arlene said chuckling.

"Are you coming?" David asked anxious for an answer.

"I'll call you later in the week with my flight information," Arlene said.

"Would you consider moving here?" David said asking the question that he had been on his mind, since he visited Arlene in Atlanta.

"I've thought about it," Arlene said, "but I put it out of my mind because it might not be what you wanted."

"Why wouldn't I want you here?" David asked. "You're my wife."

"Considering the way, I became your wife; I wouldn't expect you to want me that close."

"I'm serious about us giving our marriage a chance," David said. "Aren't you?"

"Yes, I am," Arlene replied. "But it's been two months and neither of us have made any steps towards changing our situation nor have we talked about it."

"You thought I had changed my mind, after I returned home, didn't you?" David asked.

"Yes," Arlene replied.

"I was trying to give you time to get use to the idea of being married to me," David said. "I didn't want to pressure you. But I promise you that this weekend we'll talk about everything and make some decisions about our future."

"You don't have to do this David," Arlene said. "Especially if you're not ready."

"I'm ready," David assured her. "I like the idea of you being here. I want you here."

"Oh, really," Arlene said her tone teasing.

"Yes, really," David replied, his tone aping his wife's.

"I'm going to remind you of those words when I ask you to go out and get me something that I'm craving," Arlene said.

"What kind of cravings are you having?" David asked.

"For the last month I've been craving steaks," Arlene said. "Big, juicy, well done T-bone steaks."

"We're having at least one girl," David remarked.

"Why do you say that?" Arlene asked.

"Only a little girl would crave something so expensive," David replied.

"Hey, take that back," Arlene said. "Just because at least one of our children has an expensive palate it doesn't mean that palate belongs to a daughter. Expensive taste isn't a gene trait of women alone. You, David Fitzgerald likes quality too and are willing to pay for it."

David couldn't and wouldn't argue that point with Arlene because it was true. He did like quality, and he was willing to pay for it. He smiled at the thought of having a son born with his expensive taste.

'The kid is going to break the bank,' he chuckled to himself.

"Would it be alright with you if I gave your contact information to a friend?" Arlene asked.

"Sure," David said coming out of his thoughts about their son. "Would you make your travel arrangements, as soon as we get off the phone and call me back?"

"I can do that," Arlene said tempted to tell David she was making her travel arrangements online as they spoke.

"I'll be waiting," David said.

"Goodbye," Arlene said.

"Not goodbye," David replied, "I'll talk you later."

((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))

"Is she coming?" David's mother asked.

"Yes," David said. "She's making her travel arrangements now, and she's going to call me back with the details."

"We should prepare the guesthouse for her arrival," his mother said.

"I asked her how she felt about moving to California," David said.

"What did she say?" his father asked.

"She said she thought about but pushed it out of her mind because she thought I had changed my mind staying married to her," David replied.

"Why did she think you had changed your mind?" his mother asked.

"Because we haven't talked about or made any plans concerning what we want to do as a couple," David said.

"The two of you haven't made any decisions at all?" his father asked surprised at what he was hearing.

"No," David replied. "I was trying to give Arlene, time to adjust to the idea of us being married. I thought she would let me know when she was ready to talk and she was doing the same for me."

"David you can't treat Arlene the way one would normally treat a wife," his father said. "Especially given yours and Arlene's situation."

"What do you mean?" David asked.

"I mean that you and Arlene are starting your married life in the reverse," his father said. "The average couple met, got to know each other, fall in love, and then get married. You and Arlene omitted a lot of those steps. You're asking her to give you something you haven't earned. Her trust. Communicating is the most important thing for any couple to do, but it's especially important for you and Arlene."

"Your father's right," his mother said. "You can't treat her as you would any other wife emotionally. She doesn't know you well enough for you to be able to do that. You must prove to her that she can trust you with her heart, her children, and her love, if that's what you want. Saying you want to stay married to her and not discussing the future or taking any steps for two months is tantamount to lying to Arlene or playing with her emotions."

"I hadn't thought of it that way," David said.

"You're going to have to treat Arlene as what she is," his father said. "A woman you want to meet, get to know and have fall in love with you, if that's what you want? Both of you need to sit down and discuss what type of relationship you want, make sure you're both on the same page. If you don't you might end up annulling this marriage you say you want."

David realized that the things his parents were telling him were true. He couldn't treat Arlene like he would've treated Diana had he married her. Their relationship was starting off at the finished line meaning that he and Arlene had a lot of ground to make up. His mind traveled back to their conversation and the questions she asked him about himself.

'She was trying to get to know me?' he thought to himself wanting to kick his own butt for not paying attention.

She was making a step towards them getting to know each other, and he missed it.

"Do you want to really stay married to Arlene?" his mother asked bringing David out of his thoughts.

"Yes, I do," David replied. "And when she arrives, I'm going to show her just how serious I am about our marriage."

Franklin Sr. and Pamela smiled as they watched their son go back into their home convinced and glad that he now understood what he must do if he wanted his marriage to Arlene to work.

mspat
mspat
545 Followers