Big in Japan Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When Teresa had told me a few days before, I'd said "Wait a minute... my nephew gets Auburn season tickets and away games? He can get Auburn-Georgia tickets every year, and has failed to mention that to me? I'll have to speak to his mother about that."

Teresa chuckled. "Imagine how I felt when I found out he's given away his Auburn-Alabama tickets every year. I had to remind him that he is my 'hostage' with Clan Crowbar, and redirect his suppositions on giving those tickets away anymore..."

Back in live time, I asked "Wasn't the 'earthquake game' an LSU-Auburn game?"

"Yes sir." said Genia. "It was in 1988. It wasn't a real earthquake, but when LSU scored in the final seconds, the seismograph at the Geology Department at LSU recorded it as if it was one."

I love my Wildcats, but I knew in my soul that there was nothing like SEC football...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I do appreciate you being able to spare Jen's life." Clarissa said as she, Teresa, and I sat in the 'drawing room' and had (more) coffee.

"She's not out of the woods just yet." Teresa said. "But we think she has a chance to live, now that we've exposed those who want to kill her."

"I am so grateful that your wife was uninjured, Don." said Clarissa. "I'm sure that was a frightening experience for you both."

"To be honest, ma'am," I said, "we both knew it wasn't as bad as it might've appeared to the world."

"And I was so sorry to hear of the passing of your former husband, Teresa." Clarissa said, and no one was fooled that it was anything more than an obligatory politeness.

"Please don't be." Teresa said. "I did not know Easton very well. He became a much worse person that the young man I knew all those years ago. And he had it coming... after he arranged his own brother's death."

Clarissa did not bat an eyelash. "Ah, so you know about some of that foul business."

I said "We know about a lot of it. As you know, ma'am, my wife was a former Deputy Director in the CIA. And she remembers your late husband."

"Whaa?" Teresa gasped. "I didn't know that."

"I was obligated to not tell you." I said. "Of course you've heard of the wall at CIA Headquarters at Langley, Virginia, where blue stars are cut into the wall to represent those CIA Officers that died in the line of duty."

I took a photograph out of my jacket pocket. "This star in the middle was the one cut for your husband, Claude Esterson, who died in the line of duty in the service of our Nation."

Clarissa looked sad as she gazed at the photograph. Finally she said "Thank you so much for bringing this to me." She extended the photo back to me, but I would not take it.


"Please, keep it." I said. Clarissa nodded, and put the photo on the table next to her chair.

Teresa said "Aunt Clarissa, what's the real story on him?"

Clarissa said "We had a story, a 'backstop', if you will, that my husband was a semi-retired moocher off the Belvedere fortune. It was a perfect story to cover up his real life's work. He could go on his missions and return, and no one really was the wiser, since he had no job to go to."

Clarissa: "He died on what was supposed to be a routine mission to South America, going to advise the American Embassy staff on some things, and being a courier for some highly classified materials. But the drug cartels got wind that someone else in his group was a spy, so they ambushed and destroyed all of the vehicles. I told the children that he'd died in a car accident, which wasn't a lie, and I told people here that he'd died in an accident, suggesting that it was here."

"I'm sorry." said Teresa.

"My sister married a war hero, whose bravery behind enemy lines could not be discussed publicly for many years, and for which he was recognized only recently." Clarissa said, speaking of Teresa's father. "I married a hero, too, and I don't regret it. I only regret that the accolades for him still must be kept secret. So many secrets in the CIA, wouldn't you say... Commander?"

"I entirely agree." I replied, totally aware of what she was really saying to me.

"Like the secret of who put that key inside the cover of my cellphone." Teresa hinted.

"Yes." said Clarissa, with a little smile that reminded me of Teresa's 'little smiles' at times. "Both Jen and I thought Robin Isley or Brendon Chapel was behind your plane's sabotage. Jen had given me that key before she left for Houston some months ago. I knew it was too hot for me to hold, so when you came back down, I put the key inside your cellphone's cover."

Clarissa continued: "I should tell you the complete story. You've seen the political persuasions of my family, Teresa. But I didn't realize that Jen was literally a traitor. I found out when Weston and Tessa were killed. Jen was distraught about it. I accused her of sabotaging Weston's plane, and she admitted that it was people in her organization, but that she would never have allowed it if she'd known Tessa was on the flight with him."

I said "And in fact, she tried to stop the flight. She called in that there was a bomb aboard, but it was not acted upon with sufficient urgency to stop the crash."

Clarissa: "Yes, I believe that is true. But the damage was done. I banished Jen from the house and the family, but relented after she divorced her husband. I thought she'd renounced spying for the Red Chinese, but she never really did stop."

Teresa asked "Why didn't you turn her in?"

Clarissa said with some sadness: "Teresa, did your mother get to hold you before she died?"

Teresa was surprised by the question, and she thought about it. "I don't know.'" she finally said. "I just know she passed out, and that was when the doctors realized what was happening to her, and it was too late to save her."

Clarissa nodded, then said "I hope she did get to hold you, even if it was for just one minute. As I'm sure the Iron Crowbar knows, there is nothing like holding one's newborn baby." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

Clarissa: "Maybe I should have turned Jen in. But I kept remembering her as a baby in my arms, as a child growing up. And I always felt guilty about my children's attitudes, that the way they ended up was at least partly due to the all-too-permissive way I raised them. And even when I knew she was involved in Tessa's death, I just couldn't do the right thing. I hope neither of you ever have to make a decision like that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After satisfying Beatrice and Eugenia's requests for selfies with the Iron Crowbar, Teresa and I made our goodbyes and drove back towards Baton Rouge. The traffic was a LOT worse, as a great many people were going to the LSU-Auburn game.

As we drove, Teresa said "I think Aunt Clarissa didn't tell us everything she knows."

"There's things she can't tell you." I said. "And some things that are best not spoken aloud, as well."

"But you know?" Teresa prodded.

"I can't believe you're even asking that question." I said.

Teresa gave what was for her a grin, and said "I think I know now how Cindy feels at times."

"If I'm not telling you something," I said, "it's either because I can't, or it's best not spoken aloud. And you just have to take my word for it that you'll find out when it's the right time for you to find out..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We returned to the airport and turned in the rental car, then took a shuttle bus to downtown Baton Rouge. We visited the Louisiana State Capitol. Instead of a dome, like most State Capitol buildings, Louisiana built a 34-floor tower in the middle of theirs. We went up to the top and enjoyed the impressive view.

Teresa had put on a blue shirt with the Auburn logo in burnt orange over it. Me, I was wearing a red shirt with no logos on it, but it sure stood out in comparison to blue-and-orange and purple-and-gold. We went and toured the campus, then Teresa took us to the 'official' Auburn tailgate party, where big Auburn donors were. They knew Teresa as Todd's wife, and she introduced me as Todd's uncle. I got asked a lot if I was a Georgia or Ole Miss fan, but I assured them that tonight I was rooting for the Tigers. Which Tigers, I did not say. :-)

As the sun began setting, we headed to the game at Tiger Stadium. Death Valley. Even Bear Bryant (who went 14-2 there) said that it was the worst place for a visiting team to play. I was just loving the SEC college football atmosphere. The stadium held 102,000+ people, and it was packed.

Our seats were amongst the Auburn allotment, so we surrounded by other visiting fans. "Wow, this is great!" I said. "Thanks for bringing me."

"My pleasure." replied Teresa. "I wanted you to see what a real Conference's football games are like." I laughed, and had to admit my agreement.

As the opening kickoff commenced, the Auburn fans around us yelled "Warrrrrrrr EAGLE! Hey!" And then it went downhill from there. The LSU receiver took the opening kickoff over 100 yards. As he broke free, the noise level in the stadium just rose and rose until I thought I was going deaf.

And it didn't get any better... for the Auburn faithful. LSU had a championship-class team that year, and Auburn did not. At halftime it was LSU 24, Auburn 3. I asked Teresa if she wanted to stay or go.

"Auburn gets the ball to start the half." Teresa said. "Let's see if they can do anything." And they did. The visiting Tigers executed a solid drive against the home team Bayou Bengal Tigers and scored, making it 24-10 LSU. Teresa and the Auburn fans cheered mightily.

Alas, that was their last hurrah. LSU clamped down, and it was 38-10 when we left with six minutes to go in the game. We caught a shuttle bus to the airport, boarded our plane, and settled in as it took off.

"Well," I said, "it wasn't the best result for your team, but it was a fun trip."

"Yeah, it was." Teresa said. Then after a minute's thought, she said "So you and Jack Muscone are back on good terms? And all is good with Tanya?"

"Yeah, I think so." I said. "There's still the rift between Tanya and the Miltons, though. And here's a secret just between you and me: I fully expect Inga Gunddottar to leave the TCPD for another job somewhere."

"Aw, that sucks." Teresa said. "What, just too much baggage here? Or something to do with Jerome Davis?"

"All of that, and more." I said. "Anyhoo, maybe things will calm down, we won't have any more riots, and we can get back to what I like doing: solving crimes."

Teresa said: "I'd prefer we just have no crimes for you to solve, and that you'll be twiddling your thumbs at your desk."

"I thought that was your job." I said, teasing Teresa. We talked about plans for training and personnel moves, then fell asleep. Neither of us realized it, but events were already set in motion, events that would shake us to our core, and would change the TCPD forever...

Part 33 - Epilogue

Sunday, September 27th. Charles the Butler announced Clarissa Belvedere Esterson's visitor.

"My dear," said Clarissa as she hugged her old friend, "I haven't seen you in ages! What has it been, twenty years? Twenty-five?"

"Something like that." said the guest, whom Clarissa had sit down in the drawing room. Coffee and Bessemer Cookies were served. "It's wonderful to see you again, as well, Clarissa."

"You don't look hardly a day older than the last time I saw you." said Clarissa. "But good genes always ran through your family."

"I think you're right, to some extent." said the guest. "I am so sorry for the imposition of visiting you with such short notice, but there are a couple of things that I must discuss with you."

"Oh, think nothing of it." Clarissa said. "I get so few visitors these days, and it's wonderful to see you. And... not unexpected, to tell the truth."

"Ah yes, of course." said the guest. "So, how much came out? And what does the Iron Crowbar know?"

"Nothing came out, especially about the Old Mother, which was my deepest concern in all this." said Clarissa. "Her secrets... and yours... appear to be safe. As to what the great Iron Crowbar knows? Well, I do believe he knows a great many things. He should've been a CIA Officer, like my husband."

"And like you were, yourself." said the other woman. "And it wasn't for lack of trying on the CIA's part to bring him into the fold. But... it worked out for the best, I suppose."

"Yes." said Clarissa. "He is a wonderful young man. My niece Teresa practically worships him. And my young great-nieces were awed to meet him."

"Oh I agree." said the guest. "And speaking of good genes, his firstborn daughter is going to be even greater than him, if I don't miss my guess."

"Yes, he turned out well, unlike my own disasters of my children." Clarissa said. "You should be very proud of your son."

"Oh, I am. I'm very proud of my son." said Phyllis Troy...

Finis.